Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A couple of fair decent earthquakes and terrible weather have caused enough chaos that most of the office is working from home today.

Turns out 25 connections into a single terminal server VM with two cores and 6GB of RAM makes things somewhat sluggish...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I love the emails I get from my UPS's

Critical - UPS: A site wiring fault exists.

Warning Events - Environment: A high temperature threshold violation exists for integrated Environmental Monitor T Sensor (Port 2 Temp 2 at Port 2) reporting over 95 F.

UPS: Compensating for a high input voltage
136v

All I can think of is using a particular text-to-speech voice for these alerts.

:psylon: "A high temperature threshold violation exists for integrated Environmental Monitor T Sensor (Port 2 Temp 2 at Port 2) reporting over 95 F."

:v: "Mother! I've turned the cooling units back on! MOTHER!"

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Being told at 5:30pm to order a bunch of memory ASAP!!!!

Does anyone have a pretty good vendor on the west coast that doesn't ship until like 5pm PST? All my vendors and salesguys are east coast, to they stop taking orders somewhere between 3 and 5pm EST. I'd like to have someone that I can throw an order to at like 6pm EST and still get it shipped that night if needed. New and used server stuff, Dell and HP mostly. Memory, hard drives, full server builds if needed, that kind of thing. Someplace that will take POs, preferably.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't help feeling that you're trying to solve the wrong problem here

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For emergencies we use amazon, but we're pretty good with redundancy or stocking spares so never need anything same day. Next day is good enough.

newegg and CDW are quick too. Not sure how fast CDW is outside Chicago though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

All I can think of is using a particular text-to-speech voice for these alerts.

:psylon: "A high temperature threshold violation exists for integrated Environmental Monitor T Sensor (Port 2 Temp 2 at Port 2) reporting over 95 F."

:v: "Mother! I've turned the cooling units back on! MOTHER!"

Surely you can set up a rule to automatically read emails with this:

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/outlook-2010-automatically-read-email-with-speak-command/

And can you imagine how much management types would love it to have your DC alerts spoken like that?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Surely you can set up a rule to automatically read emails with this:

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/outlook-2010-automatically-read-email-with-speak-command/

And can you imagine how much management types would love it to have your DC alerts spoken like that?

We actually have audio alerts on our NOC for when emails with certain words in the subject line come in. I can't imagine having the entire email read.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Panthrax posted:

Does anyone have a pretty good vendor on the west coast that doesn't ship until like 5pm PST? All my vendors and salesguys are east coast, to they stop taking orders somewhere between 3 and 5pm EST. I'd like to have someone that I can throw an order to at like 6pm EST and still get it shipped that night if needed. New and used server stuff, Dell and HP mostly. Memory, hard drives, full server builds if needed, that kind of thing. Someplace that will take POs, preferably.

Call Dell. They can have a drive or memory sent by courier within 4 hours in most situations for gear under warranty.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have zero loving tolerance for cold-calling.

"Hey! Are you the one to talk to about barcoding solutions for your business?"

"Hi! This is Kim from Stormwinds. Do you have VMware, Microosft, or Cisco training needs in your future that I can help you with?"

"Can I interest you in saving 30% on your phone and data?"

I just got those 3 calls right in a row.

I can't tell the front desk to not send me that poo poo. Actually, the younger receptionist will dump them but the older lady won't. The older lady also tells on me if I hang up on them or don't take the call.

I do not want to waste a few minutes 10 times a day listening to some schpiel from a random cold-caller. But the company owners say "we need to give everyone a chance you never know who can save us money"

gently caress you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

"Hi! This is Kim from Stormwinds. Do you have VMware, Microosft, or Cisco training needs in your future that I can help you with?"

I can't tell the front desk to not send me that poo poo. Actually, the younger receptionist will dump them but the older lady won't. The older lady also tells on me if I hang up on them or don't take the call.

I do not want to waste a few minutes 10 times a day listening to some schpiel from a random cold-caller. But the company owners say "we need to give everyone a chance you never know who can save us money"

gently caress you.

If they were capable of actually benefiting the business, they wouldn't have to resort to cold-calling.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

The older lady also tells on me if I hang up on them or don't take the call.
To who? And why should anyone care?

I literally tell cold callers to go piss up a rope and/or kill themselves depending on how nice I feel, then hang up on them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Collateral Damage posted:

To who? And why should anyone care?

quote:

the company owners say "we need to give everyone a chance you never know who can save us money"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bob Morales posted:

the company owners say "we need to give everyone a chance you never know who can save us money"

Obviously you should be giving the company owners names and direct lines to all the recruiters in the area.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bob Morales posted:

I do one of two things - I answer with "hello <pause until they speak> you have reached porktree, I am unable to take your call please leave a message after the tone", then I make a beeeeeep sound (which is obviously not automated). AS soon as they start to talk (if they haven't hung up) I say, "If you are done recording your message press the pound key, thanks - beeeeeep" and hang up. I'm down to about 3-4 cold calls a day.

The other thing is to pretend I'm a user and they are the help desk, I tell them my browser is slow, netflix won't load, and ignore absolutely everything they say. I keep this going until they hang up. Good times.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

porktree posted:

I do one of two things - I answer with "hello <pause until they speak> you have reached porktree, I am unable to take your call please leave a message after the tone", then I make a beeeeeep sound (which is obviously not automated). AS soon as they start to talk (if they haven't hung up) I say, "If you are done recording your message press the pound key, thanks - beeeeeep" and hang up. I'm down to about 3-4 cold calls a day.

The other thing is to pretend I'm a user and they are the help desk, I tell them my browser is slow, netflix won't load, and ignore absolutely everything they say. I keep this going until they hang up. Good times.

I try to have fun with them. Some lady from another country called saying they had been monitoring or website and wanted to improve the performance or some bullshit so I went off and asked who gave her that permission and it's against the law blah blah and she hung up

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh I misread and thought it was the phone lady who said that.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress you.

Start spending his money on every company that calls you. He will change his tune pretty quickly. Just tell him they were going to save the company money. It's kinda like when your wife thinks she should buy everything on sale because she saves money even though she wouldn't have bought it anyways.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Panthrax posted:

I use Provantage.com when I need something quick. I never pay for their next day shipping but I almost always get it next day, even when ordering at the last minute.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
had a cold call sent to me for some reason about water coolers. I kept telling the guy I was the IT manager and he kept going on "well as the manager of the facility you should consider talking to our local rep, when can I set up an appointment!"

I guess it's my job though because it's cloud-based water

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

Obviously you should be giving the company owners names and direct lines to all the recruiters in the area.

"Spog, it sounds like we could save a lot of money using Buffalo for our en ah es, whatever that is. I want you to work with <cold caller> to make that happen."

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
poo poo-related work issues - I work for a behavioral health provider, which services many in the local low-income/transient/homeless population.

Over the weekend, there was a norovirus outbreak at one of the homeless shelters a couple blocks away - 60+ vics.

Late Monday, got word that some of our staff (that are out'n'about in said homeless community) are starting to get hit.

I have the distinct feeling that I'm going to end up one of the last few staff wandering around the downtown campus area, roaming from building to building in a vain quest for the uncorrupted who really need to note that we don't have a goddamn 24 hour turn-around, *especially* based on date alone and not whenever they finally put a request in at 4:57 PM...

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I guess it's my job though because it's cloud-based water

Well, I would certainly hope so!

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
A few significant things recently happened.
As :yotj: has occurred, I will vent about two of many.
Ex-boss1 and co-owner uninstalled IIS. On a customer server. Production. Month-end.
Just loving did it.

He follows it up the very next day, by bypassing every security control put in place to hit a 3rd party download site to get a cerber kit in AMMYY. Why?

I feel like I have been living in a nightmare.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress you.

There's a good chance you work with and for assholes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalMocking posted:

There's a good chance you work with and for assholes.

Do you not read his posts?

At least AS/400 guy is gone. (good for him, not use who are now deprived of his rants about AS/400 guy)

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Kind of annoying me:

Bossman asking if I can work 11am/12pm - 7/8pm to "better integrate with the team in Vancouver". Thanks, but no.

I wouldn't mind so much except I know they're trying to hire a minion for me in the UK and he's been asking if they can work Vancouver time; like 6pm-2am our time or something ridiculous. He doesn't seem to grasp the idea that there's a world outside of Vancouver either. I'm the sole IT engineer for 3 offices in the UK, one of which is 150 miles away from the other two, and I'm also working on client projects.

Is he being dense, or am I just being an entitled snowflake?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Fortunately a lot of cold calls are aimed at our sales phoneline for some reason, so every now and then I'll get a "Hey there's someone called [coldcaller] calling from [bullshit] saying they've spoke to you before" which gets a "Never heard of them, they'll just be selling something so either hang up or tell 'em to piss off".

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Toshiba, never again...

In the past I have been forced to buy lovely retail channel/consumer laptops.

Had one cheap Toshiba I sent in for warranty repair. After 2 months of waiting, just received it back today. The bottom plate is busted all around and there is a large chunk missing from the front left corner. There is zero damage to the shipping box, however the plastic bag the laptop was packaged in has a tear and small bits of plastic stuck to it. Its obvious that whoever was packing the laptop at the repair depot dropped it and just said gently caress it and threw it in the box.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
We had two ASUS laptops as a trial buy, at the insistence of sales. Someone broke the screen in one, ASUS' quoted price to replace the screen was more than the list price of the unit. I bought a replacement panel on Amazon for $50, took all of ten minutes to replace... just in time for me to donate both units to a local charity and go back to purchasing HP!

So that's Lenovo (lovely trackpads, permanent spyware, etc.) and ASUS (hilaribad build quality, "prices so high it's obvious we just want you to go elsewhere" repair costs) off the list so far.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Vendor released a notice on their site that support for a product ended immediately a couple of weeks ago.

Guess what I found while looking for info to file a support ticket.

:arghfist:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pictures of "repaired" laptop. They had the laptop in their hands on September 28th. I just received it back today.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stevewm posted:

Pictures of "repaired" laptop. They had the laptop in their hands on September 28th. I just received it back today.

OEM or 3rd party repair?

Either way that's poo poo, but if it's 3rd party color me unsurprised.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Well cross those off the list of things to buy, if they can't be bothered to repair with care.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Thanks, internal team, for giving us an installer you built but never tested, otherwise you'd have found the typo in it that I just did while deploying it.

Hope it doesn't brick your production system.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The company I'm at now is expanding like crazy internationally but not giving anybody the resources to do it.

From what I can understand, the team of three that supports our software is now going to be expected to do 24/7 support for three different continents without any additional people or raises.

On top of that, we've more than doubled our production environments around the world in the last year or so without any additional personnel, pay increases, or training.

My boss just got chewed out over the phone by HIS boss because the only employee in another continent got a ransomewared and we didn't have a next-day fix ready and waiting for him.

I've got one job prospect lined up at a friend's org and am gonna try to apply to four more tonight because this is very rapidly turning into a huge mound of poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sure is great to ask "and how is all of this backed up and restored?" after being brought in to sense-check a deployment for one of our biggest clients, and be met with confused stares in response.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

It sure is great to ask "and how is all of this backed up and restored?" after being brought in to sense-check a deployment for one of our biggest clients, and be met with confused stares in response.

Occasionally, I (and a colleague) are brought in late to a project after the initial tech scrub. We call this reality-capet-bombing, by asking all the obvious "what do yo do if X fails?" that NONE of the system architects bothered asking themselves. I mean, I get that you can't be expected to design around Black Swan events, but christ, at least address the obvious and conceivable edge-cases.

The guy I work with is a genius at cutting to the bone and making sure the designs have no obvious leaks. PMs used to complain about my buddy "driving up costs and delaying deployment" because he'd spend 45 minutes of the 60 minute meeting absolutely eviscerating the design. Hey you want a review from an SME, don't bitch when the expert does his loving job.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 16, 2016

stevewm
May 10, 2005

flosofl posted:

OEM or 3rd party repair?

Either way that's poo poo, but if it's 3rd party color me unsurprised.

3rd party repair. Some outfit called "Pegatron". From what I can see Toshiba doesn't do any OEM repairs on laptops.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Pegatron is likely the OEM - I know that they are an OEM for motherboards at least so laptops aren't much of a leap. Toshiba is just rebranding their product, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Your comment made me remember compal and I hate you for it.