Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

One of our subs is driven off.

B-17's continue to do their work.

I start this battle up again.

So apparently my pilots need to learn how to fly a night. Or their ignoring my orders.

A destroyer kill is confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Just before I start to run this turn, I spot this.

I immediately send out the carriers. This may be a false spot, but I can't risk it.

This could be the start of a good day.

The detection of an enemy convoy at Guadalcanal makes me think this may be the start of an enemy offensive.

Not that I plan on leaving much left of it.

Rabaul houses my largest concentration of bombers, and an air HQ. We rain death on them.

A troop ship takes our second torpedo of the day.

Our first night raid is successful on the packed runway.

Oh boy, this could get interesting.

Seven kills is a good day.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
As long as it's not the Enterprise I hope you actually found a carrier :allears:

Man, I really like the idea of this game, I may have to start a serious runthrough one of these days because I do enjoy the planning and logistics leading to nice payoffs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Luckenbach line has suffered this war. I'm sure that's at least the fifth of their big cargo ships we've seen go down.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

goatface posted:

The Luckenbach line has suffered this war. I'm sure that's at least the fifth of their big cargo ships we've seen go down.

We've seen around 11 of them, with only 3-4 damaged or sunk.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

"The Gulfcoast is underwater": A statement equally at home in 1942 and 2042.

13 November 1942

The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, a series of confused night actions in The Slot, claims a number of ships:
US cruiser Atlanta, wrecked by 14" gunfire of Japanese battleship Hiei and torpedoed by Japanese destroyer Akatsuki.
US cruiser Juneau, damaged by Japanese gunfire and later torpedoed by Japanese submarine I-26. The tragedy of the Sullivan brothers.
US destroyers Barton, Cushing, Laffey, and Monssen, sunk by Japanese gunfire and/or torpedoes.
Japanese destroyers Akatsuki and Yudachi, sunk by gunfire of US cruisers and destroyers.
Japanese battleship Hiei, sunk by air attack while withdrawing from the battle.

Dutch destroyer Isaac Sweers, torpedoed by U-431 northwest of Algiers.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

"The Gulfcoast is underwater": A statement equally at home in 1942 and 2042.

13 November 1942

The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, a series of confused night actions in The Slot, claims a number of ships:
US cruiser Atlanta, wrecked by 14" gunfire of Japanese battleship Hiei and torpedoed by Japanese destroyer Akatsuki.
US cruiser Juneau, damaged by Japanese gunfire and later torpedoed by Japanese submarine I-26. The tragedy of the Sullivan brothers.
US destroyers Barton, Cushing, Laffey, and Monssen, sunk by Japanese gunfire and/or torpedoes.
Japanese destroyers Akatsuki and Yudachi, sunk by gunfire of US cruisers and destroyers.
Japanese battleship Hiei, sunk by air attack while withdrawing from the battle.

Dutch destroyer Isaac Sweers, torpedoed by U-431 northwest of Algiers.

Anyone who is interested in this and the other crazy Naval battles in the Guadalcanal campaign should read Neptune's Inferno.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pthighs posted:

Anyone who is interested in this and the other crazy Naval battles in the Guadalcanal campaign should read Neptune's Inferno.

Neptune's Inferno, Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, and Shattered Sword are all highly recommended for anyone interested in the Pacific war in general. Also the new The Fleet at Flood Tide by the author of the former two books.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Cythereal posted:

Neptune's Inferno, Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, and Shattered Sword are all highly recommended for anyone interested in the Pacific war in general. Also the new The Fleet at Flood Tide by the author of the former two books.

Yes, I just finished Fleet at Flood Tide and it's like a Neptune's Inferno level telling of the Marianas campaign, plus a quick covering of the strategic bombing campaign and the two nukes. I really liked it. Shattered Sword is still the single best Pacific War book I think, but all four are top notch, with Rising Sun: Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire by John Toland being #5 on the list to round out the war with an understanding of Japanese politics, strategies, and characters before and during the war.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice, good luck with the convoy mauling - and are the carriers ready for the offensive and fully refitted/rearmed or you just sending out a squadron that's fully setup or mostly capable or the full strength? Regardless, nice set of kills and good luck brutalizing the Allies!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Speaking of books I really enjoyed Ian Toll's Pacific Cruicble and The Conquering Tide. Scope is the entire Pacific Theater so it's not as indepth as say Shattered Sword, but it was still very good.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 14, 2016

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Dreamsicle posted:

Speaking of books I really enjoyed Ian Toll's Pacific Cruicble and The Conquering Tide. Scope is the entire Pacific Theater so it's not as indepth as say Shattered Seord, but it was still very good.

I was just going to mention pacific crucible, I also enjoyed it. Even learned a thing or two. It gives a real sense of the chaos in the first 6 months after Pearl Harbor and how being the US was in doctrine and experience

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm really hoping that Grey doesn't catch the carriers he's spotted and it turns out the exciting thing he's referred to is that he's finally managed to down a B-17.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I'm really hoping that Grey doesn't catch the carriers he's spotted and it turns out the exciting thing he's referred to is that he's finally managed to down a B-17.

His stealth invasion of Anchorage is going according to plan.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

vyelkin posted:

His stealth invasion of Anchorage is going according to plan.

The Home Islands will be awash in crab legs for New Year's.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Please be bombing vancoucer

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

bunnyofdoom posted:

Please be bombing vancoucer

Are you mad? Think of the effect on the PROPERTY VALUES!

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

CannonFodder posted:

The Home Islands will be awash in crab legs for New Year's.

You know, the more I learn about the Japanese leadership during the war the more I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they invaded the Aleutians solely for the crab. Admirals gotta eat!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Are you mad? Think of the effect on the PROPERTY VALUES!

It would lower it enough that my brother and his fiancée could afford housing?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We have them.

A hit!

My god, its their entire carrier fleet! The Saratoga reports fuel/ammunition explosions.

We loose a lot of planes, but hit three of their carriers. Now to survive the revenge hit – their planes would have already been in the air at this short range....

This is going to be bloody, I can feel it already.

Three carriers and two light carriers are hit, the difference in flack may be telling here.

Some late Avengers get butchered.

There are no strikes in the afternoon.

Their bombers continue their work.

A brutal day of combat, both sides took damage, but its now down to the damage control teams to help their ships survive.
Welp.
Luckily, we were in range of the Munda airfield, so a lot of our planes were able to re-base there, so no-one was lost at sea. With 98 operational losses, the Americans were not so lucky.

We lose a light cruiser to two oilers, but I will be surprised if the Saratoga makes it home.

We're going to lose two ships ourselves.

But I still have many ships still in action, and only one enemy ship will be able to put planes into the air, so I reform the two Butais into one task force, and go for a second day of battle!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
oh god Big E :ohdear:

edit: Somewhere, Brooklyn Bruiser is sharpening a shiv.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 15, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

:getin:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

:allbuttons:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ahaha holy poo poo.

Saratoga is a goner, Yorktown probably too. Enterprise might get out of it, and Lexington is unscathed.

Assuming there's no attacks again tomorrow, and assuming we get all three of those carriers, that should set the Allies back by quite a bit. Though the first Essex-class CV's should already be slipping out of dry dock soon, right?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao my Lucky ship's first appearance and it gets owned.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Welp. This has what we were waiting for

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh man you guys are on top of each other and they have (wounded) battleships and cruisers and poo poo. That sure would make me sweat.

Sure did gently caress those fleet oilers up though. Maybe they will be out of fuel after that.

e: I didn't see that you have a few BBs screening as well so not so bad I guess.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 15, 2016

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
But swapping a lot of carrier losses is to the Allies' advantage, right? Though I don't know if the AI can take advantage of that.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

We're going to lose two ships ourselves.
GREY I THOUGHT WE AGREED THAT SHOHO WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TO SINK IN THIS TIMELINE

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

OH poo poo IT'S HAPPENING

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead, be that guy, and claim the USS Enterprise (CV-6) because holy poo poo, why would you not.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Because by claiming it you've sealed Its dooooooom.

:ohdear:

One torpedo hit is maybe survivable, but there's going to be a round two

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I'm pretty sure these are spiced up reports and ultimately nothing is true at all. We'll probably never hear from Akagi and Shokaku again whereas there are suddenly new enemy carriers around, the Yorkcity, the Enterprize, the Rightington and the Sacratoga.
"Yeah, we totally destroyed them like, all their like carriers are gone and stuff and ships were sinking with explosions left and right. What a sight man! No losses on our side - maybe a little bit of strafing but no bombs, no. We can do this all day long!!!!!!" :downs:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Welp. Carrier battle at short range.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
That was excellent, can't wait for tomorrow!

Edit:

How do Shokaku and Zuikaku take 1 and 2 bombs and hardly any damage? Impressive damage control.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 15, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ha ha ha oh God, the whole war we've been waiting for a carrier battle and the first one happens literally within spitting range :laffo:

Send in the battleships :getin:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Awww yisssss :black101:

Let's hope the weather doesn't affect tomorrow's strike, I want big E down!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:captainpop: 98 losses!!

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Mikl posted:

Ha ha ha oh God, the whole war we've been waiting for a carrier battle and the first one happens literally within spitting range :laffo:

Forget Tone Scout 4, entire shelves of books will be written how the gently caress the two largest carrier forces in the world failed to find each other until some sharp eyed lookout went 'say, is that smoke on the horizon over there ?'.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Shoho and Mikazuki are definitely going down, Kasumi could go either way and while it doesn't look like Akagi is going to sink, she's almost certainly hulked. Shokaku and Zuikaku are still relatively fine, but are they still capable of combat operations? I'm guessing they can given Grey's remarks, unless he's just conducting the second strike with the lighter CVs/CVLs/CVEs, but I am curious how the game determines whether a carrier can conduct flight operations or not.

For the US, even aside from the CVs almost everything in that fleet is probably in trouble. Two fleet oilers going down could completely gently caress over the smaller ships even if they don't take any hits if there's not a port or another oiler reasonably nearby. I also have no clue why a bloody 21kt battleship like the New Mexico is even in a carrier battlegroup.

On the trade, losing one relatively bad CV (Kaga and Akagi were not good CVs for a number of reasons) and a CVL in exchange for possibly 3 or 4 US fleet carriers would be a great exchange, even accounting for the stream of Essexes about to start coming. Being lucky enough to have land bases in range to accept aircraft that lost their carrier is simply a great bonus.

edit: Actually, what damage did Jintsu take? Jintsu didn't appear on one of the damage reports at the end, but the combat report had her taking a bomb hit. Curious since someone did select her as her ship.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Where's the 14th?