Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
honestly, 2018 kinda depends on what the shelf life of the 2010 gerrymander is

edit: i say this because a gerrymandered map can actually backfire before that 10 years are up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tatsuta Age posted:

https://twitter.com/juliannagoldman/status/798289453940883457

Eric "/pol/ poster" Trump with loving top clearance. Good loving Lord, America.

This is Hosni Mubarak's Egypt now.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, that gerrymander relies on old data.

As it is, if the democrats can be more on their feet with tactics, a gerrymander made by assuming what people vote for democrats could be exploitable.

Say, how much of our panicking could be attributed to the same type of panicking that occurred when Bush II won?

It doesn't seem like Trump really has any egotistical power fantasies besides what he already accomplished by becoming president. Is there anything Trump really, actually wanted to do? There's what he said he would do, but did he really have a hard on for actually doing any of that? It seems like he is happy as a clam so far.

Beyond the deleterious effects a GOP congress with a friendly president naturally has, what else is Trump gonna do, that wouldn't in with Cruz, Jeb, or Pence?

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 15, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
"Well if the country's gone to poo poo by 2018 the Dems can win big" is some of the dumbest poo poo I've seen in awhile. We just had an election with hundreds of thousands of people being unable to vote because of very specific, targeted voter suppression in GOP-held states. That poo poo is going to continue and get worse in most if not all states with GOP-held legislatures.

Trump's SCOTUS pick is all but guaranteed to be in lockstep with the current conservatives for ruling against the VRA. NC explicitly targeted black people with their changes and even with courts ruling against them their response was "well you said X and Y were illegal but not A, B, or C so we're going to do those things :smuggo:" and that was with an 8 person SCOTUS. Trump will probably be convinced to pick one of the conservative PAC-vetted picks for the bench who will almost certainly be cut from the same "gently caress the VRA and those drat minorities" cloth as people like Roberts.

thechosenone posted:

I think I see your problem here sir.

Disproving a right wing talking point using a right wing group's data isn't a problem, except that it shows the people who ignore it simply do not want to change their minds period.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Well if the country's gone to poo poo by 2018 the Dems can win big" is some of the dumbest poo poo I've seen in awhile. We just had an election with hundreds of thousands of people being unable to vote because of very specific, targeted voter suppression in GOP-held states. That poo poo is going to continue and get worse in most if not all states with GOP-held legislatures.

Trump's SCOTUS pick is all but guaranteed to be in lockstep with the current conservatives for ruling against the VRA. NC explicitly targeted black people with their changes and even with courts ruling against them their response was "well you said X and Y were illegal but not A, B, or C so we're going to do those things :smuggo:" and that was with an 8 person SCOTUS. Trump will probably be convinced to pick one of the conservative PAC-vetted picks for the bench who will almost certainly be cut from the same "gently caress the VRA and those drat minorities" cloth as people like Roberts.

Disproving a right wing talking point using a right wing group's data isn't a problem, except that it shows the people who ignore it simply do not want to change their minds period.

Listen, that was more of a goof, so I'll concede that, but would it be alright with everyone talking about the post I made above yours? It would be really cool to talk about that.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lol if you think widespread voter suppression is the reason Democrats are struggling to win elections.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Lightning Knight posted:

Another thing I found fascinating: apparently, a lot of the manufacturing didn't necessarily move overseas, it just moved to right to work states in the South. There's still a lot of American manufacturing, it just offers poo poo pay/benefits or is being automated.

We haven't began to see what changes newer automation and AI technologies (as in neural network and deep learning systems) will bring about.

• Long-distance truck driving - gone
  • Taxi driving - gone
  • Call centers - gone

Probably a hell of a lot more than just that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why do you think long distance trucking will be gone.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Guys? guys? Seriously, I'm wondering, if Trump is no more dangerous than any other Republican president to the health of our democracy, is it possible that he might shake one or two things up for the better compared to an alternative GOP candidate?

It's just starting to seem like he really doesn't have it out for our Democracy, as much as he is a jumped up dingus, who is sort of like '...huh, didn't think I would get this far. Must be because of how GREAT I am' and I'm wondering if he really is a little bit of a wild card, especially against a bog standard yes man that was the Republican alternative during the primaries.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 15, 2016

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

Automated Trucking does not have to be perfectly safe, it simply has to be safer. Also, robutts don't need to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Lol there will be widespread & very violent riots/murder hordes when Trucking becomes automated. Trucking is literally one of the pillars of our working population. Iirc there are nearly 2 million long haul truckers in the US. It's one of the few ways Americans can earn a middle class income without a 4 year degree nowadays.

I personally can't wait until that happens :kheldragar:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

It's expected to be the first adoption of driverless vehicles because rich people will make more money off it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Media, two months ago: Trump is a racist and an autocrat
Media today: why are people so angry he won???

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Have you never heard of self-driving vehicles before?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/798256277281443841

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/798284733830623237

Keep telling everyone that we're overreacting by thinking the GOP will set American equality back 50 years, America :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
for a while self driving trucks will still require a human attendant to deal with cargo paperwork, refueling, maintenance issues, ensuring the truck can deal with navigationally tricky spots etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hollismason posted:

You might not get automated driving working any time soon under city conditions, but it's a different story to send a truck down a straight line from one depot to another.

Maybe you put a guy in the cab to keep it from getting stolen or call for repairs, but it's not going to be a high wage job.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Is anyone else starting to wonder if Trump will actually be any worse than some other hypothetical Gop candidate? I'm starting to get the impression that he really didn't get into politics too much before this, and is almost like a blank slate. without anyone to force him to think one way or another, it almost seems like this could be about the best you could hope for in a Republican president.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

thechosenone posted:

Is anyone else starting to wonder if Trump will actually be any worse than some other hypothetical Gop candidate? I'm starting to get the impression that he really didn't get into politics too much before this, and is almost like a blank slate. without anyone to force him to think one way or another, it almost seems like this could be about the best you could hope for in a Republican president.

yes, he will be wildly unpredictable becaus he has no known political allegiances or allies. this is worse than a known bastard

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hollismason posted:

Long haul trucking is far and away the easiest of driving-oriented jobs to automate.

It won't happen right away and it'll just be driver assistance systems for a while, but it's going to happen even if we literally never automate any other driving task. At best you have a guy who just sits in the cab to make sure the truck isn't hijacked, but I'm willing to bet even that doesn't last for long. More likely will be something like fully automated trucks going from off-highway depot to off-highway depot and driven by humans the last mile to their final destination.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Well if the country's gone to poo poo by 2018 the Dems can win big" is some of the dumbest poo poo I've seen in awhile.

It absolutely isn't dumb. It's a real possibility that the Dems should treat as an opportunity, if and when it arises. Indeed, the true dumbest poo poo we've ever seen, goonsire, would be for the Dems to, you know. Not make it seem like the country's gone to poo poo and voters need to elect Democrats once 2018 rolls around.

quote:

We just had an election with hundreds of thousands of people being unable to vote because of very specific, targeted voter suppression in GOP-held states. That poo poo is going to continue and get worse in most if not all states with GOP-held legislatures.

Given that SCOTUS gutted the voting rights act, and Trump is going to be able to pick at least one justice over the next four years, there's very little we can do about this. You realize that, right?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

thechosenone posted:

Sir, this is a concentration camp McDonalds drive thru you need to make your order and then drive forward through the "car wash".

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

boner confessor posted:

yes, he will be wildly unpredictable becaus he has no known political allegiances or allies. this is worse than a known bastard

How? All the worst folks are in the GOP, so if he doesn't cowtow to them all the time, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Automated driving long distance trucks sound like a good way to get your poo poo stolen.

1. How do they refuel.

2. How do they call the police

3. How do they know to stop for weigh stations.

Fully autonomous trucking is decades away.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Long haul trucking is far and away the easiest of driving-oriented jobs to automate.

It won't happen right away and it'll just be driver assistance systems for a while, but it's going to happen even if we literally never automate any other driving task. At best you have a guy who just sits in the cab to make sure the truck isn't hijacked, but I'm willing to bet even that doesn't last for long. More likely will be something like fully automated trucks going from off-highway depot to off-highway depot and driven by humans the last mile to their final destination.

It's kinda depressing how capitalism makes automation of truck driving a bad thing. Really it's far more effective, safe and spares humans from this mind numbing boring work, but it's also the only way some guys have a decent life :smith:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Hollismason posted:

1. How do they refuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI

edit- but yes, it's probably a decade or two away. it's still happening.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

it's a different story to send a truck down a straight line from one depot to another.

Especially if you run them at say 10pm-2am, in specifically designated lanes, with laws that state if one hits you in their lane at their time You are at fault.

Hollismason posted:

Note how you are arguing about how soon the train is coming, not whether it is at all. We are running out of time to get off the tracks.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

thechosenone posted:

Not when he's surrounding himself with the folks that he is at the moment.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

Keep telling everyone that we're overreacting by thinking the GOP will set American equality back 50 years, America :allears:

It's amazing the LBJ came out of this state.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's amazing the LBJ came out of this state.

LBJ would have sold his own mother for a pair of trousers that didn't irritate his bunghole.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Whenever people complain about NAFTA it's always about Mexico but IIRC Canada is a part of that too.

I'm missing something here, what makes Canada and Mexico so different...

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

cravius posted:

Lol if you think widespread voter suppression is the reason Democrats are struggling to win elections.

No, not right now, but the Republicans have demonstrated that implementing more of it is something they want to do, and there's nothing really stopping them. If they succeed, it could make future Democratic wins much harder even if they work out their other electoral issues.

It doesn't even have to be that huge of a swing either, a few seats here and there could make all the difference.

Majorian posted:

Given that SCOTUS gutted the voting rights act, and Trump is going to be able to pick at least one justice over the next four years, there's very little we can do about this. You realize that, right?

We can protest, litigate (as much as possible), and generally keep awareness of what they're doing as high as possible, as well as go the extra mile to make sure as many people as possible can get the ID and such they need to avoid getting hit by the laws. Not a perfect solution by any stretch, but it's still important to not just concede the issue.

That all said, this is just one of several issues that are super pressing and all of them need a lot of attention. We're in for a slog here.

thechosenone posted:

Guys? guys? Seriously, I'm wondering, if Trump is no more dangerous than any other Republican president to the health of our democracy, is it possible that he might shake one or two things up for the better compared to an alternative GOP candidate?

It's possible, I guess, that he really sobers up and does some things that would be better than a JEB or whoever. But I doubt that outweighs how he's legitimized a lot of racist, sexist, bigoted behavior in ways that other R candidates never would have (even if their policies wouldn't be so different).

Like, he's considering appointing Steve Bannon, noted anti-Semite and white nationalist of Breitbart fame, to be his strategist in the White House. That speaks volumes.

Not even getting into all the instability he's going to introduce, which is exactly the opposite of what the world needs from America on the international stage.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Sorus posted:

Whenever people complain about NAFTA it's always about Mexico but IIRC Canada is a part of that too.

I'm missing something here, what makes Canada and Mexico so different...

Kinda like how well off liberals never threaten to move to Mexico. Hmmm....

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

citybeatnik posted:

Not when he's surrounding himself with the folks that he is at the moment.
Exactly. I kinda agree that he's a blank slate. The problem is that the world's shittiest people are going to be writing all over that slate with chisels and permanent ink.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Spaced God posted:

I imagine the LGBT non-non-discrimination bill will get struck down by lower federal courts, and then SCOTUS will refuse to hear it anytime soon. Are there any judicial experts here who can confirm/deny?

Because if I'm correct, this was a tactical mistake on the Texas GOP's part.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
So who are we most worried about at this point? Trump himself or the GOP?

The GOP was always going to retake power again at some point guys, nobody should have seriously believed that Democrats would be in power forever. Trump seems to be the real wildcard here.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hollismason posted:

Automated driving long distance trucks sound like a good way to get your poo poo stolen.

1. How do they refuel.

2. How do they call the police

3. How do they know to stop for weigh stations.

Re: Theft
Are you going to reprogram the truck, or disable it, unhitch the trailer and attach it to your own truck, or just quickly steal anything valuable?
This seems like a lot of work unless you know it's full of very valuable goods.

Refuelling, you might see gas station attendants come back into style in the short run.

Police, what kind of scenario are you imagining? If it's an automated vehicle, you'd probably be better off pulling the plates and calling a hotline or something. It's not like you're going to accomplish anything by pulling them over unless there's a baby carrier sitting on the cab or something.

Weighing, not like this isn't an evolving technology, the new scales don't even require you to come to a stop.

None of these are trivial, but they're not the kind of thing that would be a serious obstacle.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

boner confessor posted:

nafta didn't screw anyone, it was a convenient scapegoat to point out while manufacturing was already in decline

NAFTA screwed over millions of Mexican laborers working in agriculture, who were powerless to compete with U.S. subsidies. This actually did place American workers, many of them black and latino, in direct competition with migrant workers within U.S. borders.

Employment isn't the whole story, here. Depressed wages are an obvious and immediate consequence of being thrown into the gladiator pit of economic downturn and political austerity with an even more heavily exploited class of laborer, for example. But I guess the loving Heritage foundation didn't study that part as closely for some reason? Weird. NAFTA also led in many cases to Mexican farms that were once profitably used to grow Corn being re-purposed for the kind of economically viable cash crops that are better suited to satisfying the needs of white liberals: marijuana. The people who actually have to deal with the day to day consequences of living in a major drug corridor and in some cases just a few miles from a bloody cartel war might justifiably have a different perspective on immigration than the kind of fuzzy good vibes Nation of Immigrants triumphalist horseshit being peddled by their bosses.

Of course this is but one of thousands of examples of anti-racist egalitarian rhetoric being deployed as apologia for neoliberal policy. Tens of thousands of Mexicans have been killed or imprisoned as a byproduct of gutting an entire agricultural industry but don't let that stop you from claiming its "racist" and provincial to oppose economic degradation and open class warfare.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fojar38 posted:

The GOP was always going to retake power again at some point guys, nobody should have seriously believed that Democrats would be in power forever. Trump seems to be the real wildcard here.

hail satan option: the rabid republican base that trump has energized start screaming that he's a traitor cuck for not immediately ending everything obama did and trump uses his power to go after them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

We can protest, litigate (as much as possible), and generally keep awareness of what they're doing as high as possible, as well as go the extra mile to make sure as many people as possible can get the ID and such they need to avoid getting hit by the laws. Not a perfect solution by any stretch, but it's still important to not just concede the issue.

Oh sure, I agree 100%; I was talking more about the narrow context in which Evil Fluffy was speaking. I still don't understand his objection to the Dems planning to be opportunistic about America's economic woes in 2018 and 2020 - it's not like they can't do that AND raise hell about voting rights infringements at the same time.

• Locked thread