Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

thechosenone posted:

Guys? guys? Seriously, I'm wondering, if Trump is no more dangerous than any other Republican president to the health of our democracy, is it possible that he might shake one or two things up for the better compared to an alternative GOP candidate?

It's just starting to seem like he really doesn't have it out for our Democracy, as much as he is a jumped up dingus, who is sort of like '...huh, didn't think I would get this far. Must be because of how GREAT I am' and I'm wondering if he really is a little bit of a wild card, especially against a bog standard yes man that was the Republican alternative during the primaries.

His campaign promises included racist horrible bullshit. It remains possible that he was only using this to rile up his base, and will govern as a moderate Republican. However, it would be extremely irresponsible of us to assume this, rather than take him at his word. He has already placed a white supremacist into his advisory circle, so it is a massive error to assume the best. The anger, disruption, and discontent has to precede the implementation of the policies he promised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What percentage of the national highway system will Trump own after that infrastructure bill passes and his companies mysteriously get first dibs on all the contracts? More or less than 50%?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

cravius posted:

Kinda like how well off liberals never threaten to move to Mexico. Hmmm....

My family's systematically fled from both Laredo and Nuevo Laredo once this happened: http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jun/10/world/fg-chief10

He was my uncle's father in law.

So, yeah. Slightly different reasons as to why I'm not going back there than what you're alluding to.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

thechosenone posted:

Guys? guys? Seriously, I'm wondering, if Trump is no more dangerous than any other Republican president to the health of our democracy, is it possible that he might shake one or two things up for the better compared to an alternative GOP candidate?

It's just starting to seem like he really doesn't have it out for our Democracy, as much as he is a jumped up dingus, who is sort of like '...huh, didn't think I would get this far. Must be because of how GREAT I am' and I'm wondering if he really is a little bit of a wild card, especially against a bog standard yes man that was the Republican alternative during the primaries.

You are currently in shock and need to move out of the Denial phase. The next phase for you should be Anger.

Here are some of the people involved and who will personally advise Donald Trump

Secretary of State - John Bolton, someone who not figuratively literally was involved in the Iran Contra scandal. Who believes that the US government should engage in propaganda to its own citizens ( we have actual laws against this). Who thinks the best thing we can do is to bomb Iran. He believes we should get rid of the United Nations.

Steven Bannon - Runs Breitbart News. Gave birth to the Alt Right. Doesn't believe in any safety nets what so ever. Wants all forms of entitlement programs repealed. " They’re either a victim of race. They’re victim of their sexual preference. They’re a victim of gender. All about victimhood and the United States is the great oppressor, not the great liberator."

Myron Ebell - Noted Climate Change denier " [A]s previous studies have concluded, the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets are probably thickening rather than melting. " " This man will be in Charge of the EPA

Those are just some of the people he will have by his side. This is going to be bad. We are going to see Governmental Agencies that have been around for 50+ years gone. They want to eliminate the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Another thing I found fascinating: apparently, a lot of the manufacturing didn't necessarily move overseas, it just moved to right to work states in the South. There's still a lot of American manufacturing, it just offers poo poo pay/benefits or is being automated.

that happened decades ago

and those jobs up and left in the 90s

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

His campaign promises included racist horrible bullshit. It remains possible that he was only using this to rile up his base, and will govern as a moderate Republican. However, it would be extremely irresponsible of us to assume this, rather than take him at his word. He has already placed a white supremacist into his advisory circle, so it is a massive error to assume the best. The anger, disruption, and discontent has to precede the implementation of the policies he promised.

Yeah see, exactly this. I too have a few people trying to throw me off his scent with this "maybe he's not so bad" trying-to-make-the-best-of-it bullshit. I do think a lot of the protests going on now might be a bit premature (he's not technically the President YET, etc) but that doesn't mean the forces of tolerance and freedom and acceptance should sleep on this guy or cut him any slack. Even less so, now that what he says truly matters. As a candidate he was a blowhard running for office. As president he's directing policy, and the second he steps out of line and persecutes ANY group, the people need to mass together and push back and force him to own his own rhetoric. Telling us to stand down before the battle even begins is absurd. But we should pick our battles a bit.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Tnega posted:

Automated Trucking does not have to be perfectly safe, it simply has to be safer. Also, robutts don't need to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

If the future is automation, then I'm glad I have an it job

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Lol if you don't think this won't be the most disastrous Presidency and may destroy the world

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Trump leading as a moderate would almost be worse than the alternative, because it means that riling up the racist base purely as campaign tactic is actually a valid strategy. I don't even want to think about what that would mean for the future of US electoral politics.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ted Cruz would be worse.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My Linux Rig posted:

IT is one of the most trivial things to automate

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Hollismason posted:

You are currently in shock and need to move out of the Denial phase. The next phase for you should be Anger.

Here are some of the people involved and who will personally advise Donald Trump

Secretary of State - John Bolton, someone who not figuratively literally was involved in the Iran Contra scandal. Who believes that the US government should engage in propaganda to its own citizens ( we have actual laws against this). Who thinks the best thing we can do is to bomb Iran. He believes we should get rid of the United Nations.

Steven Bannon - Runs Breitbart News. Gave birth to the Alt Right. Doesn't believe in any safety nets what so ever. Wants all forms of entitlement programs repealed. " They’re either a victim of race. They’re victim of their sexual preference. They’re a victim of gender. All about victimhood and the United States is the great oppressor, not the great liberator."

Myron Ebell - Noted Climate Change denier " [A]s previous studies have concluded, the Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets are probably thickening rather than melting. " " This man will be in Charge of the EPA

Those are just some of the people he will have by his side. This is going to be bad. We are going to see Governmental Agencies that have been around for 50+ years gone. They want to eliminate the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION.

Since I don't do much anyway, is it alright if I just stay in the Denial Phase? I was having a bad time before that, and I don't have the time to do anything, nor can I even move myself to any where to act out against this. As for everyone else, I don't mind if you guys fight. The current battle is for control over what Trump is gonna do. If we can pressure him now, we can moderate his negative potential, which will hopefully leave only his positive potential.

If we spook him and the GOP right, we can get those crazies out, and someone else in.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
It's also possible that Trump pisses off the Republicans so much that they try to impeach him in order to get Pence in as President and the Democrats hold the power to remove him or troll the Republican party into the ground.

It's normally really unlikely but given how the past 18 months have gone, anything's on the table.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

nvm. gonna lurk more.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Hollismason posted:

"It is a big mistake for us to grant any validity to international law even when it may seem in our short-term interest to do so - because, over the long term, the goal of those who think that international law really means anything are those who want to constrict the United States."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

"It is a big mistake for us to grant any validity to international law even when it may seem in our short-term interest to do so - because, over the long term, the goal of those who think that international law really means anything are those who want to constrict the United States."

there's more to this quote that gets even worse, but i couldn't find a second source for it so i didn't include it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

My Linux Rig posted:

Uhhhhh....*cough*...well this is awkward...

thechosenone posted:

Since I don't do much anyway, is it alright if I just stay in the Denial Phase? I was having a bad time before that, and I don't have the time to do anything, nor can I even move myself to any where to act out against this. As for everyone else, I don't mind if you guys fight. The current battle is for control over what Trump is gonna do. If we can pressure him now, we can moderate his negative potential, which will hopefully leave only his positive potential.

If we spook him and the GOP right, we can get those crazies out, and someone else in.
This is completely untrue. Everyone can do something.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hollismason posted:

This is going to be bad. We are going to see Governmental Agencies that have been around for 50+ years gone. They want to eliminate the DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION.
It's okay, they'll forget what else is on the list after two.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah see, exactly this. I too have a few people trying to throw me off his scent with this "maybe he's not so bad" trying-to-make-the-best-of-it bullshit. I do think a lot of the protests going on now might be a bit premature (he's not technically the President YET, etc) but that doesn't mean the forces of tolerance and freedom and acceptance should sleep on this guy or cut him any slack. Even less so, now that what he says truly matters. As a candidate he was a blowhard running for office. As president he's directing policy, and the second he steps out of line and persecutes ANY group, the people need to mass together and push back and force him to own his own rhetoric. Telling us to stand down before the battle even begins is absurd. But we should pick our battles a bit.

The forces of tolerance and freedom and acceptance delivered full-throated pronunciations of loyalty to a lying neoliberal warmonger and lorded their enlightened liberal values over every coal miner and Walmart employee in the country. I am incredibly suspicious of their ability to intervene positively in anything like a resistance or opposition movement. In fact, what I predict is one long parade of Bad Guys Who Have to Go at the level of foreign policy and enthusiastic nods from the sea of dipshits who need only hear "spotty gay rights record" before they'll climb on board with whatever vicious imperialist intervention is on the menu next year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

spotlessd posted:

The forces of tolerance and freedom and acceptance delivered full-throated pronunciations of loyalty to a lying neoliberal warmonger and lorded their enlightened liberal values over every coal miner and Walmart employee in the country. I am incredibly suspicious of their ability to intervene positively in anything like a resistance or opposition movement. In fact, what I predict is one long parade of Bad Guys Who Have to Go at the level of foreign policy and enthusiastic nods from the sea of dipshits who need only hear "spotty gay rights record" before they'll climb on board with whatever vicious imperialist intervention is on the menu next year.

What the gently caress is this?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

So who are we most worried about at this point? Trump himself or the GOP?

Both?

The GOP will be the cause of most of the real damage, like taking peoples' insurance away, rolling back victories for minority rights, defunding Planned Parenthood, deregulating the finance sector, loving up the tax code, and pulling us out of the Paris Agreement/removing environmental regulations, etc. etc. etc.

In a "good" scenario, Trump mostly "just" allows that stuff to happen while being corrupt and emboldening bigots of various sorts to paint swastikas on walls and commit more hate crimes than usual.

In a worse scenario, he cracks down on the media and dissenters and becomes some sort of dictator-lite.

In a ??? scenario, Trump's unpredictability could potentially lead to some really disastrous things happening, the scariest of course being a nuclear war.

Fojar38 posted:

The GOP was always going to retake power again at some point guys, nobody should have seriously believed that Democrats would be in power forever.

I think the plan was to hold power until the GOP came to its senses a little and stopped being quite so insane. GW Bush was bad, horrific even, but I'd prefer him and the republican party of the time to this post-Tea Party monstrosity any day.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
God drat it awful app

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What the gently caress is this?

A Markov chain seeded from SandersForPresident post-election metldowns.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Calls for unity are calls for silence and submission.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

IT is one of the most trivial things to automate

I mean a software development job

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Lote posted:

It's also possible that Trump pisses off the Republicans so much that they try to impeach him in order to get Pence in as President and the Democrats hold the power to remove him or troll the Republican party into the ground.

It's normally really unlikely but given how the past 18 months have gone, anything's on the table.

I think this was the GOP's plan B in getting Pence to be the VP fall guy. Whoever hedged in that strategy meeting is an evil genius.

I'm pretty sure there is enough dirt on Trump to get him fo-real impeached on day 1.

Also, Pence is worse then Trump. Full throat Theocracy poo poo if that happens.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I'm just really wondering, Do we have any record of how leftward posters on SA reacted when Bush was elected? I would like to know if our reactions here have any connection.

I'm just not sure how much more you can incite action, when we couldn't even get people to vote him out.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Paradoxish posted:

Trump leading as a moderate would almost be worse than the alternative, because it means that riling up the racist base purely as campaign tactic is actually a valid strategy. I don't even want to think about what that would mean for the future of US electoral politics.

Full Communism Now could transcend from being a meme to a campaign promise

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

spotlessd posted:

:prepop:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

thechosenone posted:

I'm just really wondering, Do we have any record of how leftward posters on SA reacted when Bush was elected? I would like to know if our reactions here have any connection.

I'm just not sure how much more you can incite action, when we couldn't even get people to vote him out.

It was pretty close to how it is now, iirc. A lot of similar doomsaying. Although, the staff/cabinet picks this time around are worse.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Glad I'm not the only one WTFing that response.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Instant Sunrise posted:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So I just looked it up, So is Israel flipping out because of Trump wanting to hire Breitbart's creator? If so, it would be an odd way to get Israel to stop being so horny for the right wing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My Linux Rig posted:

I mean a software development job

lol I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but uh

OK good news, I've worked for several companies now that are still hiring human programmers en masse, and they get great telework packages. Long, long-distance telework packages

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

thechosenone posted:

Check the archives if you have them. SA in the Bush years hadn't even entered its libertarian phase. D&D was new at the time and there wasn't anything resembling a "left" bloc (how little has changed...) but you could pop on to get your daily dose of 2 minutes hate, furious denouncements of Islam, and regurgitated State Department propaganda.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Also, What are the chances Trump doesn't even know That Breitbart's founder is Anti-Semitic? What are the odds Trump doesn't know what 'anti-Semitic' means?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

thechosenone posted:

SA had a center-right lean to it in the early bush years.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lol I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but uh

OK good news, I've worked for several companies now that are still hiring human programmers en masse, and they get great telework packages. Long, long-distance telework packages

Software development is like 100% guaranteed to suffer at the hands of automation just like every other job, but this is also pretty silly. Developers right now have a stupid low unemployment rate and stupid high median wage compared to the general population. It's not going anywhere as a good job for a while.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

SA had a center-right lean to it in the early bush years.

What about the second election?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Phone posted:

Alright, I know that you've seen me post this in multiple threads over the past 5 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkm2Vfj42FY

Watch it.

This was quite fascinating but some critiques:

* He seems to underestimate the re-radicalization of white supremacists and their role in advancing reactionary populism in the Western role as a contributing factor to why it's only in the West.
* He seems to think the populist left will inevitably go nativist and nationalist in an attempt to go back to the '50s instead of embracing integration and post-industrial, post-work economics.
* He seems to underestimate or downplay how massively hosed we are from global warming.
* He seemed to assume that Trump would be a normal Republican and not appoint blatantly unqualified or dangerous people to every level of the executive branch like a madman if he won.

He's very smart and it's overall an interesting take but mostly my takeaway was "well I guess we are actually hosed," so...

Spaced God posted:

Keep telling everyone that we're overreacting by thinking the GOP will set American equality back 50 years, America :allears:

I realize Republicans are saying it, but, uh, is there really a massive increase in teacher-student relationships because what the actual gently caress. :stare:

• Locked thread