Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Horikoshi made some mockups of custom Nike shoes based on the characters and they're pretty cool!

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/795250537092419586
So I'm guessing Bakugou, All Might, Deku, and I think Iida?

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/795273090070560769
Tsuyu, Ochako, was a little unsure on this but one of the replies said Sero, and Tokoyami

Horikoshi a best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I want the All might one

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do hope we'll see some villain redemptions, like in any good, idealistic superhero story. It's already been set up that this will be Deku's win condition against Shiggy, but it'd be nice to see a few other villains switch over. Toga seems way, way too far gone, and All for One is a living incarnation of evil in the same way All Might is a living incarnation of good, so they're probably out, but Dabi, Twice, Spinner, and even Stain seem like they're at least distant possibilities.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It'll be Endeavor.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Darth Walrus posted:

I do hope we'll see some villain redemptions, like in any good, idealistic superhero story. It's already been set up that this will be Deku's win condition against Shiggy, but it'd be nice to see a few other villains switch over. Toga seems way, way too far gone, and All for One is a living incarnation of evil in the same way All Might is a living incarnation of good, so they're probably out, but Dabi, Twice, Spinner, and even Stain seem like they're at least distant possibilities.

Heck, Stain could be argued to still be a hero in an ideological sense, if a zealot, and I doubt all these villains embracing evil is really what he wanted to inspire with his actions. I suppose it will have to depend on how he handles aqll these people turning to villainy because of their "hero."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

resurgam40 posted:

Heck, Stain could be argued to still be a hero in an ideological sense, if a zealot, and I doubt all these villains embracing evil is really what he wanted to inspire with his actions. I suppose it will have to depend on how he handles aqll these people turning to villainy because of their "hero."

Yeah honestly Stains such a weirdly core character to the villain movement that I really feel like we need to see more of him. He's probably not too happy about All for One and the villains uniting and I want to see how he reacts to the news about All might.

Luckily he's rooming in the same prison as All for One so we might get to see All might meet with him for a bit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't forget, Stain was planning on killing Shigaraki after finishing his business in Hosu. His ideology wasn't that heroism is bad, just most of the current heroes themselves. He wanted heroes to be better and dedicated to stopping evil, not seeking glory or riches. He'd be livid to learn that he's being used as a symbol of new villainy, rather than bringing about a change in heroics.

He'd also be devastated by the loss of All Might, really. I wonder if we'll see his reaction to that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Gyges posted:

The restrictions on the use of quirks seems to be a double edged sword. Yes, you can't just have people X-Mening all over society willy-nilly. However, the restrictions do make it tough for kids with odder or more esoteric quirks to really develop their powers. As a result, people's powers have a greater impact on their personalities than their personalities have on how they use their quirks.

Especially since the only people that society "deals" with are those who either use their quirks for heroics or those who try and break the law with their quirks. There's probably very little support for someone who has x-ray vision but doesn't want to be a doctor or work in another field where such a quirk would be allowed. Which in turns pushes kids towards quirk appropriate fields via the uncaring force of societal bias.

Twice had a duplicating quirk, but since using it to duplicate yourself is outside the bounds of societal norms, there was no support for him to deal with the results. Hell, considering how everyone gets differing strengths and levels of versatility in their genetic quirk, it's possible that Twice is the first one in a long while or ever to be able to fully duplicate himself. Everyone else with a duplication quirk might have only been able to make a Simulacrum instead of a Duplicate, which meant that they never had an existential crisis made physical.

Toga is similar. She probably has generic mimicry powers and only discovered the power of someone's blood by accident. Maybe she was in an accident with someone, or got into a fight and as a result ingested some of their blood. Maybe she had a younger sibling who got hurt and she kissed the boo-boo to make it all better. Whatever way she found out, there's very little likelihood she wasn't either initially or permanently shunned by others when she first manifested the power. Which would drive her down a more villainous path. Especially when she found out how Stain's powers worked and what he did.

With Deku and All Might being the only people we've seen to gain power after their personality was fully formed, it's interesting to see how they shape their power as opposed to how others are shaped by their power.

This makes me wonder if we're ever going to get to see a third 'faction' of people rise up from this era of uncertainty. People dissatisfied with the world they live in limiting what they could naturally do. Similar to the villains where they're at odds with the government/society that forced them to conceal or limit their own natural talents but not as unhinged as most of the villain groups seem to be. It's a really interesting plot and a cool take on the genre being set up here where the villains/antagonists are all people either hosed up by their powers because the systems in place couldn't help or people that see the flaws inherent to the current age of heroes and government oversight and are suffocating under those restraints but it seems a little unbalanced to have all the people in the latter category to all be dangerous monster people who murder and meld people to tires. I guess the Vigilantes manga could fill this role but that's not written by the same author and isn't part of the main story which is where that kind of thing needs to be.

What I guess I'm asking is where's the not completely crazy era Magneto for this setting?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Last Celebration posted:

It could just be that her quirk doesn't care about how she ingests the blood, so she could have just started out accidentally transforming after a blood transfusion as a kid.

Some people suspected she was a biter kid back in her early age.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This makes me wonder if we're ever going to get to see a third 'faction' of people rise up from this era of uncertainty. People dissatisfied with the world they live in limiting what they could naturally do. Similar to the villains where they're at odds with the government/society that forced them to conceal or limit their own natural talents but not as unhinged as most of the villain groups seem to be. It's a really interesting plot and a cool take on the genre being set up here where the villains/antagonists are all people either hosed up by their powers because the systems in place couldn't help or people that see the flaws inherent to the current age of heroes and government oversight and are suffocating under those restraints but it seems a little unbalanced to have all the people in the latter category to all be dangerous monster people who murder and meld people to tires. I guess the Vigilantes manga could fill this role but that's not written by the same author and isn't part of the main story which is where that kind of thing needs to be.

What I guess I'm asking is where's the not completely crazy era Magneto for this setting?

Twice is eyeing some dudes that fit your description to be honest. We'll see where the story takes us and im excited as hell

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Twice is eyeing some dudes that fit your description to be honest. We'll see where the story takes us and im excited as hell

I don't know about that. They're dressed as plague doctors and talking about how everywhere they look everyone is sick.

They seem kind of just a different flavor of crazy evil than the VA is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite being all dramatic about it, they were still just robbing other criminals.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

despite being all dramatic about it, they were still just robbing other criminals.

I kind of like the somewhat implied network of secret criminals who have existed for years and are now having to deal with all the upstarts reacting to the fall of All Might.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what the time frame for that Vigilantes spin-off will be. Will it be while All Might is still active or afterwards?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Assuming it doesn't get canceled after six chapters, I expect they'll cover it after their first major story arc--can't get too deep into the changes happening out in the world without Horikoshi covering it first. (Well, they could but I don't think they will. In my experience, manga spin-offs don't take a lot of risks.)

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

I think they're probably people who've been inspired by Stain, but who have a slightly better idea of what he thought than the VA's new recruits. They still seem like crazy murderers, but that's perfectly true to who Stain was. Their line about how everyone is sick certainly sounds like something he might say.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Horikoshi made some mockups of custom Nike shoes based on the characters and they're pretty cool!

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/795250537092419586
So I'm guessing Bakugou, All Might, Deku, and I think Iida?

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/795273090070560769
Tsuyu, Ochako, was a little unsure on this but one of the replies said Sero, and Tokoyami

Gimme that Tsuyu shoe so I can pretend to be reppin Jamaica.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jo Joestar posted:

I think they're probably people who've been inspired by Stain, but who have a slightly better idea of what he thought than the VA's new recruits. They still seem like crazy murderers, but that's perfectly true to who Stain was. Their line about how everyone is sick certainly sounds like something he might say.

Yeah, they came off as weird vigilantes or an extremely odd hero group to me, rather than regular criminals.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They did kinda take the stolen money though.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Vengarr posted:

They did kinda take the stolen money though.

Maybe they're just Libertarians

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whoa there, all they did was murder and rob some people. they weren't nearly terrible enough to be libertarians.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:golfclap:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

Don't forget, Stain was planning on killing Shigaraki after finishing his business in Hosu. His ideology wasn't that heroism is bad, just most of the current heroes themselves. He wanted heroes to be better and dedicated to stopping evil, not seeking glory or riches. He'd be livid to learn that he's being used as a symbol of new villainy, rather than bringing about a change in heroics.

He'd also be devastated by the loss of All Might, really. I wonder if we'll see his reaction to that.

I might be reaching but didn't he casually mention wanting to knock AM's block off for being complacent in all this?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

I might be reaching but didn't he casually mention wanting to knock AM's block off for being complacent in all this?

No. Stain was All Might's biggest fan and wanted to be killed by him, because he thought he was the only real hero.

Also. I don't think Stain would be super against all the new villains popping up. Like he wouldn't be glad of it or anything but he'd be more preoccupied with the fact that now that All Might's dead there's no true heroes any more and the rest should all loving die. Especially with Endeavor as the new number 1.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No. Stain was All Might's biggest fan and wanted to be killed by him, because he thought he was the only real hero.

Also. I don't think Stain would be super against all the new villains popping up. Like he wouldn't be glad of it or anything but he'd be more preoccupied with the fact that now that All Might's dead there's no true heroes any more and the rest should all loving die. Especially with Endeavor as the new number 1.

This is where I remind everyone that Stain wore his mask to conceal massive, horrific burn scars.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ah. Right. Yeah it had been a while since he had anything major to contirbute.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The more I think about it, the more I like Twice's quirk, because it's clearly absurdly powerful, but it falls just barely short of what you really want it to do, because it basically just creates an actual person. From the "Use it for Evil" perspective, he tried the Multiple Man thing, and he found out that:

1) Your clones don't have any kind of inherent loyalty to you, the original
2) Your clones (probably) still need to eat and sleep.
3) You can't dismiss them at will. It's easier to kill them than a non-clone, but you still need violence.

And that all adds up to a clone revolution. From a more legitimate money-making perspective, you still run into the problem that you're just making more people. Unless you're willing to murder all the clones at the end of the day (and the clones aren't going to like that), you don't just have an instant workforce or something, because you still need to feed and house all of these guys. Really, the best use I can think of is finding some exceptional people (who have to be pretty drat altruistic), and copying them a bunch of times over, and that's still a vulnerable system.

And Twice himself is a really interesting guy; it's really humanizing to see his normal-rear end morning in his grungy apartment. I'd read his solo miniseries.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
If he had used Twice on All Might before he got his injury, that would have been useful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Twice's cloning works differently on himself than others? I feel like I remember there being a limitation when cloning others where he can only create one clone at a time, and I seem to also remember that maybe the person who was cloned knows what their clone is up to (not sure about this part)?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

So Twice's cloning works differently on himself than others? I feel like I remember there being a limitation when cloning others where he can only create one clone at a time, and I seem to also remember that maybe the person who was cloned knows what their clone is up to (not sure about this part)?

Nothing was said about him being limited on numbers of clones. (Though given his experience with them he may just not want to make too many of them.) But the person who is cloned knows when a clone is destroyed.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I believe Twice can only make one duplicate of something at a time. Infinite clone recursion would only work with Twice since the clones could all clone themselves once. Though I guess even that would have a limit if the damage needed to wipe them out goes down proportionally. Eventually they wouldn't even be able to take a flick.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think the 'One Clone at a Time' thing might be less a hard limit and more that Twice isn't about to go down that particular road again anytime soon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Twice seems like he can make one clone of a person, and that clone has the original's quirk.

If he cloned himself, that clone can make other clones. Which is what happened. It's not that confusing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fabricated posted:

Twice seems like he can make one clone of a person, and that clone has the original's quirk.

If he cloned himself, that clone can make other clones. Which is what happened. It's not that confusing.

It even shows that in the panel when he's explaining it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Lord of Hats posted:

The more I think about it, the more I like Twice's quirk, because it's clearly absurdly powerful, but it falls just barely short of what you really want it to do, because it basically just creates an actual person. From the "Use it for Evil" perspective, he tried the Multiple Man thing, and he found out that:

1) Your clones don't have any kind of inherent loyalty to you, the original
2) Your clones (probably) still need to eat and sleep.
3) You can't dismiss them at will. It's easier to kill them than a non-clone, but you still need violence.

And that all adds up to a clone revolution. From a more legitimate money-making perspective, you still run into the problem that you're just making more people. Unless you're willing to murder all the clones at the end of the day (and the clones aren't going to like that), you don't just have an instant workforce or something, because you still need to feed and house all of these guys. Really, the best use I can think of is finding some exceptional people (who have to be pretty drat altruistic), and copying them a bunch of times over, and that's still a vulnerable system.

And Twice himself is a really interesting guy; it's really humanizing to see his normal-rear end morning in his grungy apartment. I'd read his solo miniseries.

You also forgot to mention that every clone is created as a copy of himself including memories (speculating here), meaning they don't necessarily have knowledge of themselves being a clone unless they were told they were a clone. Even the newest clone would inherit all the memories of creating all of the clones in succession and the only people who have more certainty of being the original are the clones at the beginning because they might not be around to see the latest few being made. It's not even a matter of "loyalty to the original" because each clone would believe with complete certainty that they are the original.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Didn't Dabi ask Twice to make two clones of him to go after Aizawa back in the Camp arc? Or am I misremembering that/thinking of a scanlation error?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Didn't Dabi ask Twice to make two clones of him to go after Aizawa back in the Camp arc? Or am I misremembering that/thinking of a scanlation error?
Twice made the first one that ambushed Aizawa which then got destroyed. Dabi then asked for another, which was the one that ambused the kids and Blood King in the lodge building.

It seems pretty clear that he can only make one clone at a time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Eej posted:

You also forgot to mention that every clone is created as a copy of himself including memories (speculating here), meaning they don't necessarily have knowledge of themselves being a clone unless they were told they were a clone. Even the newest clone would inherit all the memories of creating all of the clones in succession and the only people who have more certainty of being the original are the clones at the beginning because they might not be around to see the latest few being made. It's not even a matter of "loyalty to the original" because each clone would believe with complete certainty that they are the original.

I have to point out how drastically this alters some scenes during the lodge attack. All of Dabi's clones that got killed by Eraserhead were self-aware humans, not remote-controlled automatons.

That means Dabi was willing to die just to gently caress with UA a bit/hold down the pro heroes.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vengarr posted:

I have to point out how drastically this alters some scenes during the lodge attack. All of Dabi's clones that got killed by Eraserhead were self-aware humans, not remote-controlled automatons.

That means Dabi was willing to die just to gently caress with UA a bit/hold down the pro heroes.

The clone also could have just not understood what was going on; it might have thought it was still the original and just remote-controlling the clone body or something. Wouldn't have known it was really going to die until the end.

Still though, yeah, the latest chapter casts those past ones in a darker light. Twice's power is hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

I dunno it actually seemed like his clones listened up to a point, and it's never actually stated if the clones have the memories or not because we don't know if he's a clone, remember he got stabbed in the head he may not be a reliable narrator.