Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Denevan hairpiece parasites are spreading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Drone posted:

I mean, that literally is how recess appointments work.

I think George didn't realize that, though. Or maybe he did. It was sort of a vague tweet regarding whether or not he thought that his suggestion would somehow be permanent after January.

Also, yes. Star Trek :yeah:

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Jesus christ, people are always so eager to find some excuse to crucify shatner.

He just spent the evening making fun of people who misinterpreted his tweet about loving Toblerone. I also think he was keeping score of how many indignant commenters didn't know he's Canadian and can't vote.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yo, how does that fancy Twitter embed work.

https://twitter.com/RikerGoogling/status/796900689783816192

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Drone posted:

Yo, how does that fancy Twitter embed work.

Just a matter of copying the specific Twitter URL link and posting it straight up, no tags.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

He just spent the evening making fun of people who misinterpreted his tweet about loving Toblerone. I also think he was keeping score of how many indignant commenters didn't know he's Canadian and can't vote.

I feel like I need to follow Shatner because him arguing with people on Twitter in the wee hours about a Toblerone bar sounds sorta funny.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

That sounds like something Trump would do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Have you *seen* what brexit did to toblerone bars? That's woth some 5AM tweets IMO

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It when from lookin like dragons teeth to spike strips

Never realized toblerones were anti vehicle devices rendered in chocolate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toblerone_line

How did I never hear of this!

Sash! fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 11, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Because if you read the article you'd see it's the other way around.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Because if you read the article you'd see it's the other way around.

quote:

It has been suggested that the distinct pyramidal shape of the bar lent its name to the Toblerone line, a series of anti-tank emplacements prevalent in Switzerland's border areas.[15] However, the Toblerone brand was trademarked in 1909, at the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property in Bern.[7]

... Well. That sure cleared that up

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was just making a remark like "they sure do look like dragons teeth" then found out ha someone else saw that too

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can I just contribute to this perennial thread topic: TOS "The deadly years" is not a good episode.

About half the episode's runtime is a trial for Captian Kirk being too old for command, and Kirk getting bitchy over Spock's "betrayal'

add that into some ex-GF of Kirk having a GILF-fancy and it's pretty darn weird

I guess this was the price we paid for "The Doomsday Machine"

ALso: the joking at the end of the episode thing strikes me as inapprops sometimes

Like in "the doomsday machine", or "the changling" where billions die offscreen

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Honestly the joke at the end of the episode is one of the biggest things I miss from TOS.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I just contribute to this perennial thread topic: TOS "The deadly years" is not a good episode.

About half the episode's runtime is a trial for Captian Kirk being too old for command, and Kirk getting bitchy over Spock's "betrayal'

add that into some ex-GF of Kirk having a GILF-fancy and it's pretty darn weird

I guess this was the price we paid for "The Doomsday Machine"

ALso: the joking at the end of the episode thing strikes me as inapprops sometimes

Like in "the doomsday machine", or "the changling" where billions die offscreen

You could write that kind of thing off as gallows humor if you wanted, but it's a problem that still exists in modern film and television to a large degree. Unless the byword is drama, people just do not have time to grieve or so it seems. I put the blame on writers who want to raise the stakes but who don't care to put any work into doing it.

Seriously though, drama is cheap and fills time like nothing else. You are already paying the actors, get your money's worth. There is almost never a situation where the show or movie will be all that much better for going over budget but there is always room for solid acting.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 14, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Deadly Years sucks, it's slow as balls and the aging makeup jobs are almost across the board terrible. I would prefer to watch any other Trek episode with magic aging bullshit. Even Counter Clock Incident

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm nearly through season 3 of enterprise. Where did the Suliban go? The whole first season is super focused on them and how they are being used by future-people to hurt humans and other races. Then we get the whole Xindi plot, which is exactly the same but with better aliens? Why did they restart the exact same plot but with different aliens? And after this it's going to be nazi poo poo? mama mia

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The one suliban guy shows up later.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Kirk & company saw planets get wiped out like every other week. If they didn't develop some dark humor about it, the horrors they've seen would probably break their minds.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm nearly through season 3 of enterprise. Where did the Suliban go? The whole first season is super focused on them and how they are being used by future-people to hurt humans and other races. Then we get the whole Xindi plot, which is exactly the same but with better aliens? Why did they restart the exact same plot but with different aliens? And after this it's going to be nazi poo poo? mama mia

Even better, to this day I cannot pinpoint the exact spot in the episode they travel through time. Still bugs me. Like at one point they are flying with their new Xindi buds, and are like "smell ya later!" and they split, and when the Enterprise reaches Earth it's somehow 1940. No slingshot, no wormhole, just "oh, at some point we travelled back in time a few centuries!" :haw:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

remusclaw posted:

You could write that kind of thing off as gallows humor if you wanted, but it's a problem that still exists in modern film and television to a large degree. Unless the byword is drama, people just do not have time to grieve or so it seems. I put the blame on writers who want to raise the stakes but who don't care to put any work into doing it.

Seriously though, drama is cheap and fills time like nothing else. You are already paying the actors, get your money's worth. There is almost never a situation where the show or movie will be all that much better for going over budget but there is always room for solid acting.

I really liked that moment in Children of Men when Clive Owen finally gets a breather after a long chase sequence and just breaks down for a few seconds after his friend Julianne Moore gets shot in the head, that little touch of vulnerability and naked humanity just makes things that much more authentic.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, a lot of TOS endings really undercut the effect of the episode. The line at the end of Metamorphosis about how now they have to find some other woman to stop the war just makes me cringe. It's just the most blatant case of papering over a plot hole (something they often used these stingers for) and is completely the wrong tone for what the characters just experienced.

There's something very Old TV about having the characters sum up the plot and close with a joke. It feels like the product of a more theatrical and less naturalistic approach to TV drama.. Of course, there are modern examples -- like, I'm not sure what all those cop shows would do if they couldn't close on a bad one-liner -- but in general our Golden Age of Television has a lot less tolerance for these glib "that's a wrap folks!" endings.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Astroman posted:

Even better, to this day I cannot pinpoint the exact spot in the episode they travel through time. Still bugs me. Like at one point they are flying with their new Xindi buds, and are like "smell ya later!" and they split, and when the Enterprise reaches Earth it's somehow 1940. No slingshot, no wormhole, just "oh, at some point we travelled back in time a few centuries!" :haw:
Don't even try to make sense of it, the writers sure didn't.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, a lot of TOS endings really undercut the effect of the episode. The line at the end of Metamorphosis about how now they have to find some other woman to stop the war just makes me cringe. It's just the most blatant case of papering over a plot hole (something they often used these stingers for) and is completely the wrong tone for what the characters just experienced.

Yeah, sometimes they are just right for the episode, but in "The Doomsday Machine" Kirk is all "I hope there aren't any more of these things out there, I found one quite sufficient." [wah wah]

A starship was destroyed Kirk, you were just begging a man not to kill himself

[fnord][/fnord]

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think there's probably some kind of cultural shift at work there with regards to the level of pathos that is expected from sci-fi. They didn't expect people to take TOS as seriously as some of the later shows take themselves, which is pretty understandable given how goofy a show it is. Raumpatrouille is the same way, they may have fallen foul of hostile energy beings and nearly abandoned their crewmates to a miserable death but by the end of the episode they're all having a laugh and the stick-up-rear end secret policewoman is inviting the captain out for drinks. The only even roughly contemporary sci-fi I can think of that doesn't have similar sense of fun is Forbidden Planet though I'm sure someone better versed in old movies than I can think of something different. After Star Wars which, for all its comic moments, treats the basic concepts of space opera with complete seriousness, people's expectations probably changed quite a bit towards how much characters in sci-fi should be able to kick back and have a laugh about their adventures. Though TNG does it a couple times if I recall.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
A lot of it is probably writers and/or producers not wanting to end on a downer note. If every episode ends with the cast sharing haunted looks and ominous music, the series could start to get depressing. I would also wonder if networks in the 60s encouraged shows to perk the viewer up at the end, to try and keep them happily watching for another hour.

That said, TOS sometimes made a point of having Kirk point out at the end that someone didn't make it. Catspaw comes to mind: "Not an illusion; Jackson didn't make it."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

A lot of it is probably writers and/or producers not wanting to end on a downer note. If every episode ends with the cast sharing haunted looks and ominous music, the series could start to get depressing. I would also wonder if networks in the 60s encouraged shows to perk the viewer up at the end, to try and keep them happily watching for another hour.

Definitely, this is part of the cultural difference I'm referring to. People were less willing to accept a show which has a downer every week. Now shows like Game of Thrones pull millions of viewers.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That said, TOS sometimes made a point of having Kirk point out at the end that someone didn't make it. Catspaw comes to mind: "Not an illusion; Jackson didn't make it."

Yeah, but on the other hand the whole thing is a Halloween gag episode.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Astroman posted:

If you just turn that episode off after they say goodbye and then skip to 4x03 it'll be much better. Instead of NAZIS you get a story about how much Earth has changed since they left.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As I understood it (not that it makes much sense), the Enterprise got sent to the past because Daniels, seeing no other option, attempted to prevent Archer's sacrifice by pulling him off the superweapon before it exploded. Something hosed up massively as a result, sending himself, Archer, and the Enterprise back to 1940s Earth.

Re-reading what actually happened is probably just as dumb. Apparently this heretofore unknown player in the Temporal Cold War (yes, I know, redundant), the Na'khul, launched an invasion of the 31st Century via a Temporal Condiut that they built with the Nazi's assistance in an alternate 1944 because German Science is the Best Science in the World why the hell not. As a result, the Federation Time Cops or whatever the hell Daniels belongs to said "stop this at all costs" and Daniels decided to kill two birds with one stone, preventing Archer from dying on the Xindi Superweapon (so he could help create the Federation), and get the Temporal Conduit blown up by pulling the NX-01 into this alternate past timeline, basically right before the Xindi Superweapon exploded. This also had the added effect of completely ending the Temporal Cold War so that time shenanigans never had to take place again in the series and they never had to explain who Future Guy was or wasn't

So yeah you're probably better off just skipping to 04x03 because I'm pretty sure they never talk about Nazi Aliens again.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 15, 2016

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Space Nazi episodes are worth watching because they're probably the goofiest poo poo in the series, like a step away from the Calvin & Hobbes "t-rexes in F-14s" comic at one point. Also there were gangsters, and gangsters in Star Trek are always hilariously bad.

It's the most ridiculous ending possible to the Temporal Cold War story, which is more than the arc deserved and probably the most that could be salvaged from the Season 3 cliffhanger/"gently caress you" from the outgoing showrunners. That said, you could edit the ending of Storm Front Part 2 over the ending of Zero Hour and it would line up just fine, all you'd be missing is the fate of Daniels and the Suliban and I don't think there's a shrug emoticon big enough for that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Delsaber posted:

The Space Nazi episodes are worth watching because they're probably the goofiest poo poo in the series, like a step away from the Calvin & Hobbes "t-rexes in F-14s" comic at one point. Also there were gangsters, and gangsters in Star Trek are always hilariously bad.

If you think I'm just going to let you talk poo poo about Picard gunning down Borg with a holo-tommy gun, you best think again. :colbert:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, you guys just reminded me that they continued that Temporal Cold War bullshit in Star Trek Online and it just kept getting dumber and dumber and dumber. The only noteworthy thing is that just about everything about the war is the player character's fault on some level. Sphere Builders? Friendly Delta Quadrant aliens who got screwed over while you were playing with a replica of the Krenim Timeship. Future Guy? Krenim dude with a murder boner whose waifu was a pre-revision Sphere Builder. The Na'kuhl? The Tholians nuke their sun with a Tox Uthat and you just sit their with your thumb up your rear end despite the fact you helped save another star in the previous mission.

Oh, and the crispy critter in the TARDIS pod? Kal Dano. WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Delsaber posted:

gangsters in Star Trek are always hilariously bad.

Get a load of this guy, why doncha?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

One of the books in the Department of Temporal Investigations series ends with the capture and "unmasking" Future Guy, and it's unintentionally hilarious because it ends up being just some random guy from the 28th century, because really who else is it going to be? The future time police characters are all like "Gasp, it was him this whole time?!", but obviously it can't be any character we as Star Trek fans would recognize because he has to be from centuries past the latest continuity we've seen. So the whole thing just falls really flat, and I can't imagine the show would have been able to pull it off any better if they'd gotten the chance because they'd be under the same limitation.

Having Future Guy be a Krenim is acutally better, since at least it has a tenuous hook into existing continuity.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just ran through the entirety of TNG (it's great background audio while you play video games!) and I thought Troi was pretty useful, all in all, even if she's the victim of some inconsistent writing. I remember a lot of complaining about her empathy just illustrating the obvious, but there are a number of episodes where nothing would get done without Troi, and more where she provides useful clues.

She's also a pretty good counselor! She knows when to step up and intervene and when to listen. And a ship's counselor is part of why TNG feels so comforting, it's this big huge flying city that's insanely overcapable for just about any mission, and they all solve problems by having staff meetings and goof off on the holodeck and respond to every new alien probe and scanning beam with the same wide-eyed 'oh boy maybe THIS one won't cause problems' naivete. Of course they have a counselor!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

That was one weird uh... Malkovich impression?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

After The War posted:

He looks like he's about to affectionately play with Quark's earlobe.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The_Doctor posted:

He looks like he's about to affectionately play with Quark's earlobe.

If only there was a name for that kind of thing...

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

TheBigAristotle posted:

That was one weird uh... Malkovich impression?

I thought it was Jack Nicholson, if he had been in 'of mice and men'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

skasion posted:

The only even roughly contemporary sci-fi I can think of that doesn't have similar sense of fun is Forbidden Planet though I'm sure someone better versed in old movies than I can think of something different.

A couple of other examples come to mind: