Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, it hasn't won yet but here are this year (2016)'s nominees for Best PC Game at celebrated games award show, Golden Joysticks:

Sid Meier's Civilization 6
Doom
Master of Orion: Conquer The Stars
Overwatch
Stardew Valley
Stellaris
Total War: Warhammer
Undertale
World of Warships
XCOM 2

Undertale, Game of Two Years IMO

what came out on pc in 2015, because i remember being scandalized that undertale was barely a consideration in the Very Big and Very Important Spike Game Awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

hitman games on

That's some A+ fake vending machine.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

oddium posted:

hitman is so good !! i don't give two beans about doom or overwatch, hitman wins !!

people i trust say titanfall 2 is fun though maybe i should get that

You are probably old and bad at fps. Come play dota2 instead.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Raserys posted:

what came out on pc in 2015, because i remember being scandalized that undertale was barely a consideration in the Very Big and Very Important Spike Game Awards

Witcher 3, Rocket League, MGS V, Her Story (which took "best narrative" in aforementioned awards show)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Raserys posted:

Witcher 3, MGSV, Rocket League, amongst others.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not calling my GotY until FF15 is out

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My real goty is Overwatch. The endless fun of multiplayer beats out Doom's campaign. Titanfall 2 is a pretty strong contender too.

I don't think I played any indie games at all this year, I should probably pick up owlboy

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Witness is still my GotY, but I've not played several of the other things that I might like more (Dishnoured 2, Inside, Hitman, Titanfall 2 or Doom).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Doom was great but ultimately kinda disappointing for me. Honestly I don't really have a Favorite Game That Came out In 2016, there were a lot of good ones but my favorite games I played this year are ones I already own so I'm not sure what to do.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 15, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I don't think I have a GOTY. I just have a bigger backlog now.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Witness is still my GotY, but I've not played several of the other things that I might like more (Dishnoured 2, Inside, Hitman, Titanfall 2 or Doom).

This is the one game I have not picked up yet. I want to nerd the gently caress out at puzzles but my schedule does not allow that :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, it hasn't won yet but here are this year (2016)'s nominees for Best PC Game at celebrated games award show, Golden Joysticks:

Sid Meier's Civilization 6
Doom
Master of Orion: Conquer The Stars
Overwatch
Stardew Valley
Stellaris
Total War: Warhammer
Undertale
World of Warships
XCOM 2

Undertale, Game of Two Years IMO

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot about Total War: Warhammer. That's the game of the year, the discussion is over.

I'll be dead before I hear talk of a Blizzard game as GOTY.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I scarcely remember early winter and spring releases so GotY is more like Game of the Past Four to Five Months

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skeezy posted:

Same, though honestly I played a lot of good games this year none of them particularly leap out as obvious goty candidates so I might just fall back on DS3 even though FROM were obviously tiring of the series.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Skeezy posted:

Chomp8645 posted:

I'll be dead before I hear talk of a Blizzard game as GOTY.

Overwatch is fun as hell, but iit's going to last about as long as a diablo season lol.

It's a really lovely game once you start caring about winning.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looked through my game shelf/steam transaction history, and this is the entirety of the games I bought in 2016 that also came out this year:

Stardew Valley is a true joy to play
Shadow Warrior 2 rules
Doom also rules but I don't ever wanna play it again
Dark Souls 3 was really good
Uncharted 4 also
Dragon's Dogma really toes the line between being good and bad but the PC release was excellent and lived up to the hype
Overwatch is Overwatch, it's fun but the game design is so annoying
Dishonored 2 is great but it has some pretty annoying changes from the first despite being an overall improvement

Everything else I bought this year came out before 2016.

edit: Oh, and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Activated that one with a code so it's not on the list. That game is alright.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 15, 2016

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Overwatch never clicked with me like TF2 did for a while. It's just not as fun to me but I'm glad a lot of folks enjoy it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CJacobs posted:

Looked through my game shelf/steam transaction history, and this is the entirety of the games I bought in 2016 that also came out this year:

Stardew Valley is a true joy to play
Shadow Warrior 2 rules
Doom also rules but I don't ever wanna play it again
Dark Souls 3 was really good
Uncharted 4 also
Dragon's Dogma really toes the line between being good and bad but the PC release was excellent and lived up to the hype
Overwatch is Overwatch, it's fun but the game design is so annoying
Dishonored 2 is great but it has some pretty annoying changes from the first despite being an overall improvement

Everything else I bought this year came out before 2016.

I give your taste in games a 8.5/10. -1.5 for uncharted on console.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Skeezy posted:

Overwatch never clicked with me like TF2 did for a while. It's just not as fun to me but I'm glad a lot of folks enjoy it.

same

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, and ClusterTruck. That game is great!

Klaus Kinski posted:

I give your taste in games a 8.5/10. -1.5 for uncharted on console.

I have achieved symbiosis with Uncharted and now its 8/10 curse has afflicted me as well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GOTY Stuff that came out this year:
Brigador (best isometric mech simulator, incredible cyberpunk aesthetic)
Stardew Valley (this came out only this year? migod)
Quell Zen (for puzzle stuff. I love calming puzzles and this is a great capstone to the series)
Steamworld Heist (best 2D XCOM, incredibly charming)

GOTY Stuff I started playing this year:
Invisible Inc (better than XCOM in so many ways)
Dungeonmans / Caves of Qud (incredible roguelikes I cannot hold one above the other)

Biggest Disappointment So Far
The Blackwell series - the writing doesn't do much for me :(
Tales from the Borderlands - the humor doesn't do anything for me

e: I think it's impossible to have a single GOTY - there's just so much good stuff out there to play and experience and I can't say what's my favorite because games like Quell were there for me in times of stress, and Brigador makes me feel like such an incredible badass, so...

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Oh I forgot, SUPERHOT is my indie of the year

I think my handheld one is ZTD, smt4a was good but it didn't grab me as well as 4 did despite all the improvements.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, to be honest, I think my GotY is Persona 5. I liked a lot of games this year but P5 was the only one I was completely loving down with from start to finish.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looking through my email history there's actually a couple more that didn't show up because they were activated by code:

Enter the Gungeon is okay, it's GOOD but the game designers have no fuckin' idea how to make a fun videogame
XCOM 2 hates you and wants you to be miserable instead of having fun and I will never understand that
Firewatch was fantastic and an exercise in showing that videogames can be more than just spectacle
The Witness was very frustrating for me because it started off great but I didn't like any of the later puzzle gimmicks at all, never finished it
I played Super Hot by way of my friend's shared family library but I didn't buy it myself. It's got a real fun gimmick.

That's all the games I bought in 2016. So yeah, I'm actually surprised I didn't buy that many new releases, I expected there'd be more than this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Also I forgot Aerannis - that is one heck of a terrible game between the horrible writing, bad platforming that's way too RNG-y and slippery, and the dev responding "git gud" to someone pointing out that more checkpoints would be great is just...great. :argh:

I got it from Humble store too so I couldn't even refund it - and instead I wasted way too much time on it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ImpAtom posted:

Man, to be honest, I think my GotY is Persona 5. I liked a lot of games this year but P5 was the only one I was completely loving down with from start to finish.

I give the intro a 8/5. It's loving gorgeus, even though the only jrpg I've played lately is eo4. Would play p5 based on intro.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CJacobs posted:

Looking through my email history there's actually a couple more that didn't show up because they were activated by code:

Enter the Gungeon is okay, it's GOOD but the game designers have no fuckin' idea how to make a fun videogame
XCOM 2 hates you and wants you to be miserable instead of having fun and I will never understand that
Firewatch was fantastic and an exercise in showing that videogames can be more than just spectacle
The Witness was very frustrating for me because it started off great but I didn't like any of the later puzzle gimmicks at all, never finished it
I played Super Hot by way of my friend's shared family library but I didn't buy it myself. It's got a real fun gimmick.

That's all the games I bought in 2016. So yeah, I'm actually surprised I didn't buy that many new releases, I expected there'd be more than this.

You have fantastic taste in videogames!
You need to give ETG another and another and another try. Once you start clearing bullet hell, you realize why the earlier maps work the way they do.
it's because aggressive clearing of rooms pay of in spades and it loving multiplies on floor 6

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

:mad:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

enter the gungeon is bad. cheers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

No cheating with games that aren't out.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

oddium posted:

enter the gungeon is bad. cheers

no, gently caress you. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay, the coolest thing about Stardew Valley so far is that I've been reccing it to my non-gamer friends and now I've got two of 'em playing it like it's candy and I've had to dig up tips for fishing and so on.

And I mean, one of my friends is a non-gamer to the point where she made it through all of spring before finding out that you make money by putting produce into the bin. Apparently she was just storing things in chests instead, bless her. (Otherwise a perfectly competent person, stage manages and everything, but games? Games.)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It takes a while for non-gamers to learn how to parse game logic! A friend of mine struggles just to beat the first level of Super Mario World

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Klaus Kinski posted:

You have fantastic taste in videogames!
You need to give ETG another and another and another try. Once you start clearing bullet hell, you realize why the earlier maps work the way they do.
it's because aggressive clearing of rooms pay of in spades and it loving multiplies on floor 6

Thanks. And I mean, I do like the game and have fun playing it so they must be doing something right. I just think the game is way too stingy about resources and a lot of the time when I die it's because I previously got hit 2 floors ago and the game gave me a big fat middle finger instead of health.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Casuals need the game to tell them that the W key moves you forward, what a bunch of grandpas

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

CJacobs posted:

Thanks. And I mean, I do like the game and have fun playing it so they must be doing something right. I just think the game is way too stingy about resources and a lot of the time when I die it's because I previously got hit 2 floors ago and the game gave me a big fat middle finger instead of health.

I do agree, kind of. The game punishes using fun guns to clear rooms, but I can clear dragun pretty much every run. Bullet hell is loving absurd though and the difference between short path + drops and long path + poo poo drops is huge. Normalizing poo poo like that should be their first priority.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Looper posted:

It takes a while for non-gamers to learn how to parse game logic! A friend of mine struggles just to beat the first level of Super Mario World

Tfw you watch a friend play Mario and they don't hold the run button down

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

tap my mountain posted:

Tfw you watch a friend play Mario and they don't hold the run button down

My dad and I drank stupidly expensive craft beer and played doom 2016. 2016, was a good year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Looper posted:

It does, yeah! That's part of what makes Stardew so great, though - there's no time limit, so my friends can enjoy it without being like me - I broke out the wiki very early on because I just can't get myself to play without referencing who likes what. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I should play Hitman now that it's fully out, I remember really enjoying the fashion show even though i only played it once or twice (and never touched a hitman before that)

So many games to play though: Bloodborne, Mass Effect 3, Gravity Rush, Tyranny, World of Final Fantasy

Weirdly when I get home I don't seem to want to actually start any of them :geno:

• Locked thread