Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Lmao will the last one out of Cupertino please turn off the lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

pseudorandom name posted:

no it won't

e.g. twilight in Vancouver, BC is was 31 minutes on March 6 and 44 minutes on June 19

it would if the earth was flat. maybe he's one of those?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

But how am I supposed to read comics on on an e-ink display

(trap sprung)

very carefully

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

Just fire Johnny already, nobody likes his dumb designs anymore :mad:

jony soft-retired and doesn't design anything anymore

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Doc Block posted:

civil twilight begins at sunset.
civil dusk (end of civil twilight) is arbitrarily defined as when the center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/different-types-twilight.html

so civil dusk will always occur the same amount of time after sunset. so if it's 10 minutes or whatever then just ask when sunset is and add 10 minutes.

H T H

from the link you posted:

"The length of twilight depends on latitude. Equatorial and tropical regions tend to have shorter twilights than locations on higher latitudes."

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

mishaq posted:

im so happy with my $1200 ($1500 with applecare) refurb 13" 2015 macbook pro that is currently driving dual 4K monitors with ease

I just bought 12 more thinkpads for $114.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

I just bought 12 more thinkpads for $114.

can they drive dual 4k monitors? :smug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

can i put little animations in the touch bar? like if i wanted to have :bandwagon: continuously running up there above the keyboard is that an option

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagebrush posted:

can i put little animations in the touch bar? like if i wanted to have :bandwagon: continuously running up there above the keyboard is that an option

you can write a program that will do that, but only while it has foreground focus so you can't actually do anything with your computer at the same time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Or2M7XUb4

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, it is weird that they didn't make the escape key physical. sure it'd be a bit assymetric, but the loss of the escape key is the one argument against the touch bar that i feel is really substantial

the row pretty much by definition had the escape key, which has a very clear meaning, and then a bunch of keys which contextually means whatever, which it makes some sense to give a bit of actual ui help with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

you can write a program that will do that, but only while it has foreground focus so you can't actually do anything with your computer at the same time

that's super stupid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

that's super stupid

no, having an animated gif on your keyboard all the time would be.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, it is weird that they didn't make the escape key physical. sure it'd be a bit assymetric, but the loss of the escape key is the one argument against the touch bar that i feel is really substantial

edge case, this is just like when Apple removed other thing that people cared about, so it's good for you

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple removed escape so you can never leave their walled garden!!

jk no one's going to miss it

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

support the war on functionality or the terrorists win

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

from the link you posted:

"The length of twilight depends on latitude. Equatorial and tropical regions tend to have shorter twilights than locations on higher latitudes."

but, for a given latitude, it should always take the sun the same amount of time to reach 6 degrees below the horizon once it has reached sunset, yes? unless I'm overlooking something.

but idk, I'd never even heard of civil twilight and civil dusk until this thread. and apparently it's something that local governments gently caress with because reasons? idk.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagebrush posted:

that's super stupid

not letting background apps gently caress around with your keyboard is probably the right choice. i guess it'd be nice to be able to customize the "fixed" set of buttons on the right

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Doc Block posted:

but, for a given latitude, it should always take the sun the same amount of time to reach 6 degrees below the horizon once it has reached sunset, yes? unless I'm overlooking something.

yes you are. the earths axis does not rotate perpendicular to the orbit of the earth.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

lmao indeed

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mister Macys posted:

magic pad owns, I haven't used a mouse in four years.

same at work for 7

Raluek posted:

look into hte sky

at an arms reach, a finger width is about 15 minutes, so all 4 fingers is an hour. if you can fit all 4 fingers between the sun and the horizon, you have at least an hour-ish of light left

neat

Funky Gruber Explains Your New TouchBar ASMR

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
good thread title change

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

gonna hold off for the 2017 MacBook Pro with 3D Touch Bar

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

good thread title change

its always dorkest before dawn

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Block posted:

but idk, I'd never even heard of civil twilight and civil dusk until this thread. and apparently it's something that local governments gently caress with because reasons? idk.

how do you think seasons work

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

no, having an animated gif on your keyboard all the time would be.

i should be able to do anything that i want to with my computer. if i want to have the touch bar always showing an itunes graphic visualizer or a scrolling feed of yosposts, it should be possible.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
can't believe no one has posted this, probably because their eyes have yet to roll back

https://twitter.com/verge/status/798324699239485440

i'd honestly be more appreciative is timb straight up announced a printer at this point

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

blugu64 posted:

just like when

i do like when

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ufarn posted:

i'd honestly be more appreciative is timb straight up announced a printer at this point
he did several years ago

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO—Following the resignation of Apple founder Steve Jobs, incoming CEO Tim Cook called a meeting of shareholders and members of the press Thursday morning to announce that he envisioned printers as the company’s future. “Laser, ink-jet, double-sided, color, black-and-white—the future of technology is in printers. I am absolutely convinced of that,” Cook explained to a packed auditorium as a montage of printers and people using printers played on a screen behind him. “What is the one thing people will always need? It’s obvious: printers. Printers with fax machines attached, printers that collate and staple, perhaps a printer that makes photocopies. Anything’s possible. It’s called innovation.” Cook concluded his remarks by assuring investors the release of upcoming Apple products such as the iPhone 5 would be postponed for at least four years so the company could throw all its time and resources into the creation of high-quality printers for the home and office.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ufarn posted:

can't believe no one has posted this, probably because their eyes have yet to roll back

https://twitter.com/verge/status/798324699239485440

a printer that just works is something not even apple can figure out

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
c apple s: gotta back a kickstarted to get basic features from the last gen mbp.

smdh

the griffin one for the MacBook 12" anemic edition won't do 87 watts that the mbp needs.

s
m
d
h

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
kickstart a USB port while your at it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
and a cd-rom drive

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

exploded mummy posted:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Endless Mike posted:

Brother already did, sorry for your losses

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

FMguru posted:

he did several years ago
oh so that's why there isn't a new mac pro

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hmm, you might be right

my b&w brother laser multifunction from 2011 just works, my mac finds it on my network and lets me print and scan from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ive had a brother printer too for like 4 years and can confirm its cool and good

• Locked thread