Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
How awesome would this episode have been if they just bazooka'd the gate as soon as they saw Negan's silhouette and in the shock just hose the rest of his gang down in a hail of gunfire. 30 seconds to end this poo poo show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Archaic posted:

How awesome would this episode have been if they just bazooka'd the gate as soon as they saw Negan's silhouette and in the shock just hose the rest of his gang down in a hail of gunfire. 30 seconds to end this poo poo show.

Yup.

Who's left to lead Neegan's legion?

Then you take the fight to them, where there are tons of them only held in line by fear. You're greeted as liberators and off you go into the world of the current Middle East.

The difference. It's the loving zombie apocalypse in this show. This is normal.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This wouldn't have happened in Z Nation.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This crew gets dumber every season.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I just wanna know how many people's lives Negan actually saved to get his gang started, I hope they do a flashback to that.. I'd prefer it to finding out what he was like before the zombies

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
They are going to do a flashback and Neegan is going to be a middle manager at an insurance firm.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I truly don't understand how Negan can be likeable. I do like JDM and really want to give it a chance but the character is super lame. A bad guy but get this... he makes jokes! It might as well be Roger from Doug.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
JDM is doing a wonderful job. It's the writers loving poo poo up at the moment.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It's a really cliche, boring performance so far and he delivers each line in the same way. I like JDM and he was great in that first scene, but the writing's bad and he's quickly wearing thin the more screen time he gets.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I truly don't understand how Negan can be likeable. I do like JDM and really want to give it a chance but the character is super lame. A bad guy but get this... he makes jokes! It might as well be Roger from Doug.

JDM isn't quite like Negan in the comic, and that's mostly for the worse. In the comic he's about twice as large, just a hugely imposing guy. He's like a cross between Babe Ruth and Al Capone, a charming lowlife with a beastly temper. I read his dialog as being quite fast-paced and less deliberate than JDM delivers it, which is the directors' fault because the show is so dour and stretched out. He also curses a blue streak. I knew a legit psychopath (he was a high-level corporate web security guy) and he was practically a carbon copy minus the violence. Same bombast and foul language, same need to dominate, same delight taken in gaslighting everyone around him.

Negan is supposed to be charasmatic in a certain way, larger than life and both terrifying and inspiring in equal measure. JDM's version just is an rear end in a top hat with a big gang. I like JDM and he's having fun but the showrunners got the character all wrong.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
One of my biggest problems with this show is how often I can take one character's dialogue and swap it with another's to little effect. Rarely does someone have their own voice. Every line sounds natural coming out of anyone's mouth.

Thank god for Cyborg and his magical Shakespearian tiger.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Sammus posted:

This wouldn't have happened in Z Nation.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The problem with Negan isn't Negan (although that's pretty bad since he's basically just Governor 2.0) but (comic chat ahead) that the story after negan gets somehow worse

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 15, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

JDM is doing a wonderful job. It's the writers loving poo poo up at the moment.

I just want to see more Steven Ogg.

Like I said before, it should have been him there in this last episode, not Negan. It'd been way smarter and he'd been plenty menacing. Even now I am WAY more intimidated by his character than Negan; Negan feels like a guy with as much a carefully constructed act as King Ezekiel; it's all grandstanding bullshit, where Ogg feels like he's legitimately a hair triggered mad dog.

Given we barely saw like 3 glimpses of him in the first episode, none in the Dwight episode and he wasn't there this episode, I have to wonder if his involvement in Westworld put him on ice.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So what was the dramatic point in the series to making Abraham into a total rear end in a top hat that hosed over Rosita for Sasha?

Is it all so they can grumble about who was his girlfriend or something? They seem to keep pushing Rosita feeling bad and somehow I feel like it would have been a lot more effective if one of the last things he did wasn't being a total prick. God I hope Rosita hangs around. She's developed an actual personality from a fodder start; maybe she's finally losing the red shirt.

The Archaic posted:

I have to admit, given Negan himself personally showed the gently caress up (which is dumb as all hell) I am kind of surprised they didn't do that.

Everybody's dumb as gently caress in Walking Dead. Still I maintain that the Fear the Walking Dead crew make Rick's group look like merger of Sun Tzu and Patton.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Yeah I don't understand why this show can't balance the storylines so we see multiple plot lines in an episode. Most other shows can balance the story this way.

Game of Thrones does a pretty good job of this. We don't see all the plot lines all of the time, but we do get to bounce around between a couple of them in most episodes, unless of course it's a real huge event-episode, and even those tend to have a check in with a few other plots (See the last couple episodes of this season).

It's really grating the way they do it here since even when it's a character you like, it's often not a GROUP you like. For example the Abraham + Sasha episode: Peanut Butter and poo poo, that was

ED: Quick poll, does anybody really like Sasha? Or is she literally the blandest character the show's ever produced? I can't be alone on this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 15, 2016

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The Archaic posted:

I cant believe theres not someone on watch. Still. After all this loving time.

Totally agree btw. You take out negan and half his crew fights each other for the next few months and they do half the work for ya.

Last few seasons i got through pretty easily because even the slow eps were puntuated by some good ones. So far I'm struggling. I get what they're going for but still.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They don't want Darryl to be killed

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

VendaGoat posted:

They are going to do a flashback and Neegan is going to be a middle manager at an insurance firm.

Also, he will be paralyzed from the waist down and sitting in a wheelchair.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Going by my Facebook feed and the odd tv review I read, you are the only guys who don't think the Negan character is utterly brilliant (in a terrifying sort of way).

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

BlindSite posted:

I cant believe theres not someone on watch. Still. After all this loving time.

Totally agree btw. You take out negan and half his crew fights each other for the next few months and they do half the work for ya.

That's what I simply don't understand. There was absolutely zero reason for Rick to not just whip out a gun and immediately pop Negan the second he approached the gate. Then just rain hell on the guys he brought with him from their heavily fortified walls, because they're all just stuck in the wide open. Or use the last rocket and completely blow them the gently caress out. Literally.

The rest of the Saviors would immediately plunge into a power struggle or just simply gently caress off with what they have. Negan is the only thing holding them together, and it's through fear. If he's dead, there's no glue to keep all the Saviors together. Either way, a huge number of the Saviors are dead or gone and they are far, far less of a threat. Even if they did stick together, they would absolutely not gently caress with Alexandria.

Thrifting Day! posted:

Going by my Facebook feed and the odd tv review I read, you are the only guys who don't think the Negan character is utterly brilliant (in a terrifying sort of way).

I think Negan's a cool character. :shrug: I just also think he's laughably unrealistic. He's way, way, way too cocky.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 15, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blazing Ownager posted:

So what was the dramatic point in the series to making Abraham into a total rear end in a top hat that hosed over Rosita for Sasha?

Is it all so they can grumble about who was his girlfriend or something? They seem to keep pushing Rosita feeling bad and somehow I feel like it would have been a lot more effective if one of the last things he did wasn't being a total prick. God I hope Rosita hangs around. She's developed an actual personality from a fodder start; maybe she's finally losing the red shirt.

Abraham jilting Rosita was just another example of a character's hopes and plans being dashed. The central theme of TWD is despair, no one can be happy, no one's plans are sustainable, there's no hope in the zombie wasteland. If they wanted to be literate someone on the show could quote Robert Burns: "The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft a-gley, and leave us not but grief and pain for promised joy." Not a single character is smart enough to know something like that, though, and the writers are hacks anyway.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Thrifting Day! posted:

No offense but Facebook feeds and tv reviews aren't really a good way of getting people's opinions. That's why I like this thread and threads like them, no one here is trying to get upvotes or views or page clicks it's just people who watch the show expressing their opinions. So far a lot of people itt have said they like Negan and a lot of people have said they don't.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
For a moment I actually thought Carl was going to shoot Negan in the head as a huge surprise to the viewing audience. Instead we got one of the slowest episodes of the series.
I don't see how Negan can retain control via groupthink or whatever he's doing, without any type of command structure.

Would love to see Daniel Salazar appear, marching towards Negan's HQ with an army of several hundred thousand walkers behind him. :derp:

Filthy Hans posted:

Abraham jilting Rosita was just another example of a character's hopes and plans being dashed. The central theme of TWD is despair, no one can be happy, no one's plans are sustainable, there's no hope in the zombie wasteland. If they wanted to be literate someone on the show could quote Robert Burns: "The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft a-gley, and leave us not but grief and pain for promised joy." Not a single character is smart enough to know something like that, though, and the writers are hacks anyway.

Yes that's a great point. Even if whatever remains of Rick's gang gets away from Negan they're not going to be any better off and will just go back to bumbling around the countryside scavenging for their next meal and overnight hiding spot.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

This was literally an episode about looking for two guns. They found the guns and left the end. The pacing of this show is terrible. You can tell the network tells them to do 16 episode seasons but they don't want to outpace the comics. Therefore we get entire episodes of darly in his cell, and episodes like this...
As a non-American this seemed like the ultimate expression of America's passion and obsession for firearms. Could have been 2 missing people, or other items, but no, the entire episode hinged on finding 2 missing guns out of several hundred. Taking everything else was insignificant because WE MUST FIND THOSE 2 GUNS!
It became tedious and the resolution was yawn-inducing.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 15, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I like Sasha. Mostly for her potential if that makes sense. Everyone around her dies. Yeah everyone in this show dies but she lost Bob, Tyreese and now Abharam and still gets up and gets the job done. She's an excellent sniper. She could be a crazy interesting character if the writers actually explored this. She is also a black woman on TV and our demographic always gets shafted when it comes to representation. She is a "strong black woman" but doesn't fall into the trope of not needing companionship, even though she fights it sometimes. Sasha could be really cool and good if they gave her some character building. Remember how Michonne came around? I want that for Sasha.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Filthy Hans posted:

JDM isn't quite like Negan in the comic, and that's mostly for the worse. In the comic he's about twice as large, just a hugely imposing guy. He's like a cross between Babe Ruth and Al Capone, a charming lowlife with a beastly temper. I read his dialog as being quite fast-paced and less deliberate than JDM delivers it, which is the directors' fault because the show is so dour and stretched out. He also curses a blue streak. I knew a legit psychopath (he was a high-level corporate web security guy) and he was practically a carbon copy minus the violence. Same bombast and foul language, same need to dominate, same delight taken in gaslighting everyone around him.

Negan is supposed to be charasmatic in a certain way, larger than life and both terrifying and inspiring in equal measure. JDM's version just is an rear end in a top hat with a big gang. I like JDM and he's having fun but the showrunners got the character all wrong.

I don't think saying gently caress more times is going to change my opinion.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm here for the slow burn sexual tension between Rick and Negan and I know you all feel it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Shneak posted:

I'm here for the slow burn sexual tension between Rick and Negan and I know you all feel it.

yeah they're on some next level fetish thing. good stuff

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

They don't want Darryl to be killed
They rather sacrifice god knows how many people to Negan? It's the apocalypse, people die.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Given we barely saw like 3 glimpses of him in the first episode, none in the Dwight episode and he wasn't there this episode, I have to wonder if his involvement in Westworld put him on ice.

Due to a lot of production issues, Westworld episodes were filmed as far back as 2 years ago. I believe most were a full year ago actually.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Filthy Hans posted:

Because of the sunk cost fallacy I don't think anything could actually make me stop watching this show at this point. But a character saying something had "gang aft a-gley" might

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
he was saying I acquitgangaftagley tho

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I, for one, think this show would benefit from Ned Flanders.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Das Boo posted:

I, for one, think this show would benefit from Ned Flanders.

Definitely need more characters with imposing asses, like drat that rear end is hogging the screen time

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The problem with Negan isn't Negan (although that's pretty bad since he's basically just Governor 2.0) but (comic chat ahead) that the story after negan gets somehow worse

I actually liked the story "after" Negan for a while. Rebuilding society and the Whisperers were both cool ideas to explore, but somehow Kirkman managed to gently caress up both of them.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Thrifting Day! posted:

Hurf Durf

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MeLKoR posted:

They rather sacrifice god knows how many people to Negan?

Yes.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Has anyone else gave up watching? I actually pulled the plug and stopped after episode one. I felt conflicted because there really was a time it was one of my favorite shows on TV, probably up until around the time they got to Alexandria.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Has anyone else gave up watching? I actually pulled the plug and stopped after episode one. I felt conflicted because there really was a time it was one of my favorite shows on TV, probably up until around the time they got to Alexandria.

I know a lot of married couples who quit after this season's premiere and a few single people who did the same (all 30-40 year old people) but the people I know who read the comics first are all still watching. I really didn't like the premiere but I like the show so I'm still watching.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't quit specifically because of the episode, it was more just realizing I didn't really like the characters or Negan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If this continues, this may be my last season.

We've watched this crew brutally kill cannibals, defend a prison from a god damned tank, kill unknown amount of walkers, survive under impossible situations, kill family members, friends and children.

But one psychopath with a loving baseball bat and suddenly they misplace their testicles.