Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have been told that there's an incident late in the game where a legendary encounter follows a difficult, or at least lengthy, trainer battle, and you don't have an opportunity to change out your team in between. Is this true? When does it happen? What's the pokemon? If I knock it out instead of capturing it, will it respawn, and how? And is there anything else I should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You should know it sounds like you need to relax.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm pretty deadset on Decidueye but Primarina using a Spirit Bomb as its Z-Move makes a compelling case

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I'm pretty deadset on Decidueye but Primarina using a Spirit Bomb as its Z-Move makes a compelling case

I've been a diehard Popplio supporter since Day 1, but even as a non-wrestling fan Incineroar's Z-Move made an easy pick into a legitimate debate. That and I'm a huge fan of Wimpod's evolution and the water spider so I will have a ton of Water on my team, but not much fire. Maybe I'll run two teams and get an Litten egg asap.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bongo Bill posted:

I have been told that there's an incident late in the game where a legendary encounter follows a difficult, or at least lengthy, trainer battle, and you don't have an opportunity to change out your team in between. Is this true? When does it happen? What's the pokemon? If I knock it out instead of capturing it, will it respawn, and how? And is there anything else I should know?

You have nothing to worry about. The only legendary you can get in the main story (aside from Zygarde) is the box legendary, which is a required capture.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Legit kinda bummed to hear you don't have to breed for IV's anymore. I know it sounds dumb but breeding was my favorite thing to do while watching netflix or listening to podcasts or whatever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ceramics posted:

Legit kinda bummed to hear you don't have to breed for IV's anymore. I know it sounds dumb but breeding was my favorite thing to do while watching netflix or listening to podcasts or whatever.

You do realize that you don't have to != you can't, right?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Bummed to hear that O Powers are gone. Those made catching legendary Pokémon less of a chore. (You're paralyzed and at 1 HP and I'm using balls with a 3x capture rate, just stay in the ball!)

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Ceramics posted:

You kinda do if you need low IV's for certain speed manipulation.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

also the "optimal" iv builds for special attackers include 0 attack IVs to minimize confusion damage and Foul Play damage.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

cancerianmoth posted:

Or Attack power to keep from being slapped by Foul Play!

Also for the proper Hidden Power.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Don't forget that to Hyper Train a Pokemon it needs to be at Level 100!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Also, raising a Pokémon to level 100 to actually be allowed to use Hyper Training may end up being more tedious and grindy than IV breeding was in Gen 6, anyway.

e:f,b

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah especially with triple battles going away, I doubt there'll be a powerleveling method as fast and easy as using Restaurant Le Wow.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Maybe the not join avenue will let you buy levels line in B/W2.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Oh I had no idea about the level 100 requirement. That changes things a bit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm 100% gonna be just breeding while I watch poo poo on Netflix and all rather than grinding up to 100

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

Maybe the not join avenue will let you buy levels line in B/W2.

From what I heard, there is such an equivalent. Right down to preventing any Pokemon from learning new moves through leveling up through this method, so you better prepare to go to the move relearner after that.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dr. Fetus posted:

From what I heard, there is such an equivalent. Right down to preventing any Pokemon from learning new moves through leveling up through this method, so you better prepare to go to the move relearner after that.

Fortunately, it seems pretty easy to get heart scales in this game. I got 4 for eating at the restaurant in Malie City, for 4000 pokemoney. I dunno if that's a daily thing or what but I've seen other people saying that getting heart scales is easy so I assume so.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ceramics posted:

Oh I had no idea about the level 100 requirement. That changes things a bit.

Yup. I will happily do it for a few favorites if their IVs is their only imperfection (wait until january my perfect precious Breloom) but unless there is some secret power leveling hidden in the endgame it seems easier to keep on breeding with perfect IV Dittos.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

This is currently what I'm thinking my team will be for Sun. In Pokemon, I usually have the problem of too many members belonging to a certain type (like in Y where I had 3 friggin Fire types because Delphox, Charizard, and event Blaziken), so this time I took the opposite route: every member of my team MUST have a unique typing. This way I won't be tempted to use Incineroar and Salazzle both and end up gimping myself against the inevitable Water type boss. I'd like to see you guys' thoughts on it and see if you have any recommendations for me. Important Note: this is not a competitive team because I have no patience for competitive battling. This is just meant to get me through the main game/post game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
your team is overwhelmingly made up of things you won't encounter for a very long time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is Vikavolt late game? I thought he was the Beedrill of Alola

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I believe it is, but it requires the Magnezone area to evolve if I remember right. Kommo-mo is definitely late game though.

EDIT: For opinions, any team with Tsareena is a good team. I personally wouldn't use a Toxapex in my main game since he's a defense heavy dude and I generally blitz through the story with as many high powered guys as possible, but it's your call. Sadly Wimpod overlaps with Vikavolt under your condition.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 15, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The first stage of Vikavolt can be caught pretty early on in the first island, but the final evolution can't be attained until the fourth island, in the same area you evolve Magnezone.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

More like a late game Scolipede. That will be stuck in Whirlipede form for a long time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My primary complaint with this gen is that is has a lot of non-standard, sort of obtuse evolutions. Crabrawler is one of the first pokes you can catch but you can't evolve it until the final island. He's level 45 and still in his first form for me, and my charjabuss(?) is in the same situation

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Thinking about Vikavolt, they were really stingy with three-stage evolutions this time around. You've got the three starter lines, the regional bird line, the regional pseudo-legendary line, and then just two more.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't love it but at the same time I kinda am into having my Little Buddy I get in Island 1 achieve his final form at the end of the journey.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I'm pretty sure porygon is a post-game mon only and Kommo-o is borderline postgame as well. You might want to make a midgame team that's easier to assemble to fill up spaces. I'm running a Persian until I find a cooler Dark type, you have an EXP share so it doesn't feel like you're wasting your time with a temporary slot. This game has tons of ghost type pokes, a lot of which are super cool and I would very highly recommend having one

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Pakled posted:

Thinking about Vikavolt, they were really stingy with three-stage evolutions this time around. You've got the three starter lines, the regional bird line, the regional pseudo-legendary line, and then just two more.

I counted and iirc it's something like 13 single stage guys this gen compared to like 5 in gen 6--not counting legendaries. Gen 2 and Gen 4 are practically tied for the lowest number of 3-stagers, but in gen 4's defense it spent a lot of its dex boosting older mons.

I mean not that it matters much since I think gen 7's got some of the best Pokemon designs in a while, but it is a bit of a shame they didn't break out with a few more surprise evos. Lookin' at you, Komala. :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Which island number is ghost oricorio on?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
reading the various pre-release theorycraft threads on smogon is cool, lots of optimism regarding stuff you wouldnt necessarily think (like Minior). even if a lot of these mons are gonna fall by the wayside im really excited for the craziness of the first few weeks/months on showdown

e: here's the theorycraft SuMo forum if youre bored http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sun-and-moon.374/

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I finally collected all the pieces of Zygarde. It just changes ability to Power Construct and that's it. No cutscene or anything outside of a "Good you got them all" message. This is also all information on the official site aside from the bit about what happens at the end.

cheetah7071 posted:

Which island number is ghost oricorio on?

4 I think.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dehry posted:

4 I think.

It's like they're trying to make the coolest things impossible to use

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cheetah7071 posted:

It's like they're trying to make the coolest things impossible to use

nah, you get Oranguru, Bewear, and Mudsdale on island 2 after all

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its a loving crime Oranguru doesnt have like, idk, Sap Sipper or something as a HA. hes covered in kelp, dude loves sipping sap. always getting his sip on

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What level does Schooling kick in?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neo_Crimson posted:

What level does Schooling kick in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night