Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the catch-all Zelda thread? I can't find another. Anyway, Oracle of Ages is, like, super hard or I'm super stupid or both. I got my rear end handed to me repeatedly in the second dungeon (Wing Dungeon).

Maybe it's because I just played and beat A Link Between Two Worlds without any help, but good lord, I will likely have to consult a FAQ soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Seasons is an easier start for those two, but I don't recall anything early game that slowed me in the earlier dungeons (...That I played when they came out 10+ years ago.)

Step away from it and come back.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The hardest dungeon was the one in ages with that drat cane that makes blocks. I hated that giant cloud boss.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'll be very surprised if the Switch version doesn't come out on the same day as the system.

I'm wondering if the WiiU version is going to be the same (probably) but have framerate and slow down issues when the screen is going explosion crazy, while the Switch hardware will be superior enough to run it smoothly.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

pentyne posted:

I'm wondering if the WiiU version is going to be the same (probably) but have framerate and slow down issues when the screen is going explosion crazy, while the Switch hardware will be superior enough to run it smoothly.

Probably but I don't expect the Switch version to be a massive improvement like be in 60FPS or something.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm thinking of grabbing Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. I know that the two of them link up somehow to form one big long story, which is part of the appeal for me. Without spoiling any aspect of the game, is their an ideal order in which to play them, or at least any difference in the story/gameplay for each order?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is this the catch-all Zelda thread? I can't find another. Anyway, Oracle of Ages is, like, super hard or I'm super stupid or both. I got my rear end handed to me repeatedly in the second dungeon (Wing Dungeon).

Maybe it's because I just played and beat A Link Between Two Worlds without any help, but good lord, I will likely have to consult a FAQ soon.

I did the exact same thing except with Seasons after LBW. It's a harder game for sure. I've died probably at least as much as I did in my last playthrough of the original Zelda, which was a lot, as I am old and bad at video games and I hadn't played the original in at least ten years. Had to look up a guide for Seasons as well, I want to say like three times so far.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I find Seasons and Ages both to be fairly difficult compared to the Nintendo designed games. They do a pretty poor job of sign posting where you should be going and lots of the game revolves around talking to someone, flagging something in the world, and then retalking to an NPC to restart the cycle. I've beaten both but I've also had to use a guide a number of times to simply figure out which NPC I have to now talk to in order to proceed. This all applies to Minish Cap too. Good looking games with good dungeons but overworlds that miss what make a Zelda game truly great, in my opinion.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alvarez IV posted:

I'm thinking of grabbing Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. I know that the two of them link up somehow to form one big long story, which is part of the appeal for me. Without spoiling any aspect of the game, is their an ideal order in which to play them, or at least any difference in the story/gameplay for each order?

It doesn't really matter I believe Seasons then Ages is canon. I also think that way fits better from a gameplay perspective.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably but I don't expect the Switch version to be a massive improvement like be in 60FPS or something.

i thought they said it would run at 60 fps

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No they haven't said anything about it being different.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I find Seasons and Ages both to be fairly difficult compared to the Nintendo designed games. They do a pretty poor job of sign posting where you should be going and lots of the game revolves around talking to someone, flagging something in the world, and then retalking to an NPC to restart the cycle. I've beaten both but I've also had to use a guide a number of times to simply figure out which NPC I have to now talk to in order to proceed. This all applies to Minish Cap too. Good looking games with good dungeons but overworlds that miss what make a Zelda game truly great, in my opinion.

You're not alone. When I got my ("old") 3DS I immediately bought Ages, Seasons, and Link's Awakening, and then I bought the combo Nintendo Power guide to the former two because I remembered how opaque they were from when I was a lad. I don't recall that problem with Link's Awakening, which is good because all of the strategy guides for it are pricey.

I know that there is the Internet, but I kind of have a Zelda game & guide collection going.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/rumor-breath-of-the-wild-will-not-be-released-in-march/

:negative: here's hoping for things to smooth out real fast now...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that there is the Internet, but I kind of have a Zelda game & guide collection going.

Don't even get me started. I have contemplated spending upwards of $150 on the hardcover version of the Link Between Worlds walkthrough because it's the only one I never bought. I have that stupid (cool) treasure set collection of guides too, I am bad with money.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

This seems to be based on the assumption that they would need to wait until localization is done for game testing, there's no reason that would be the case. Most trading related directly to the localization script could be done in unit testing.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

SeANMcBAY posted:

I thought that was what the difference was supposed to be?

E:

greatn posted:

No they haven't said anything about it being different.

Seriously, I thought this was brought up in the thread earlier, pretty much as the only real difference. ...?

Rama of Ra fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 15, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It was an assumption. Noone knows if or how the two versions will differ.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

who is this person and why are they a reliable source?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TFRazorsaw posted:

who is this person and why are they a reliable source?

Emily Rogers. She was pretty much spot on in regards to the NX/Switch rumors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wasn't a lot of her stuff inaccurate?

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, not really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

This seems to be based on the assumption that they would need to wait until localization is done for game testing, there's no reason that would be the case. Most trading related directly to the localization script could be done in unit testing.

Localized text can run over into more or fewer text boxes, as well as general formatting issues (sentences running outside the text box, etc). With how big BotW is with incidental text for all that gear, they really do need localization done before testing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Earnestly posted:

No, not really.

I could have sworn there was a list of games and stuff for the Wii U that never materialized.

Like a Mother 3 localization.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

I could have sworn there was a list of games and stuff for the Wii U that never materialized.

That was probably more due to that Earthbound Zero release turning up relatively out of nowhere.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

That was just about the only thing she got wrong. She's gotten a poo poo ton of things right since then. I made a post about it earlier if you're curious

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is waiting to test BOTW until the localization is finished. They're like the only major gaming company nowadays who cares about releasing games as bug-free as possible. They wouldn't want to introduce a bunch of jew variables halfway through testing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TFRazorsaw posted:

Rockstar will make games for the wii-u

Soul Calibur V and GTAV will be a launch title for the wii-u

You'll be able to have a girl link in BotW

Mother 3

Those come to mind but believe what you want I guess. Even if it was someone with a spotless record I'd have doubts on BotW personally, it just seems like too big of a game to let get pushed back as it's kind of a huge selling point for the switch as far as I'm aware, like yeah there's going to be a stream early next year but I can't imagine anything else matching the hype that BotW has going for it at the moment.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 15, 2016

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

youcallthatatwist posted:

They wouldn't want to introduce a bunch of jew variables halfway through testing.

I know this is a typo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

youcallthatatwist posted:

That was just about the only thing she got wrong. She's gotten a poo poo ton of things right since then. I made a post about it earlier if you're curious

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is waiting to test BOTW until the localization is finished. They're like the only major gaming company nowadays who cares about releasing games as bug-free as possible. They wouldn't want to introduce a bunch of jew variables halfway through testing.

I work for a software developer, and am close enough to the localization efforts (literally, the woman coordinating the internationalization bugs is the next desk over) to know that... no, you absolutely do not want to leave testing until that late.

First of all, these days stuff like text strings are relatively contained anyway, so localization introducing new bugs is relatively rare. More often you're testing things like text wrapping and font consistency, and in games possibly some model/texture work (how much depends on the game, I don't see Zelda having anything that'd need that) and often new voice work (moot point here, Zelda doesn't localize its voicework). There are certainly bugs that'll crop up during localization, but we're not going to run into those. There wouldn't be 'a bunch of new variables halfway through testing' with localization, it's basically just changing a bunch of labels. You wouldn't be changing the internal variable names to German or whatever.

Second... that's a lot of game to leave until after localization. There aren't many games that are text-heavy enough that the package post-localization is a whole lot bigger than before. Visual novels and JRPGs, maybe, but even then you'd want to make sure it all runs smoothly in its native language, because even if localization did gently caress things up somehow by like, the Arabic alphabet accidentally overwriting other code or something, there's still a lot of game that would not be affected by that that can't afford to have its testing delayed by it. poo poo, if localization somehow does cause a bug, it actually helps a lot to know that it worked beforehand.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 15, 2016

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

TFRazorsaw posted:

She was the primary source of the girl Link rumours.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Someday, Linkle, you'll get your own game. probably in the style of Linkle and Tingle's Wild Ride, but it'll happen.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rexroom posted:

She was the primary source of the girl Link rumours.

Just realized what the girl buttons on the leaked NX controller were supposed to do

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So some weird Legend of Zelda news today. Nintendo is partnering with Scrap to do a LoZ Escape room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyxHSGPIxy8

http://scrapzelda.com/

Of course it's not coming reasonably close to me but for those of you close to the 8 cities it is coming to go have some fun with up to 6 people.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 16, 2016

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

So some weird Legend of Zelda news today. Nintendo is partnering with Scrap to do a LoZ Escape room.

Of course it's not coming reasonably close to me but for those of you close to the 8 cities it is coming to go have some fun with up to 6 people.

I'll just keep the first small key I get instead of using it up and break the puzzles in half

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

oh nice it's in my city -- let me see if I can get some coworkers to go. any goons in SF want to team up?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dang, nowhere even in the southeast at all.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Phimosissy posted:

Dang, nowhere even in the southeast at all.

Yeah I'm in Virginia and even though a New York trip is possible logistically it's not gonna happen anytime soon for me. It is weird that the Southeast literally gets ignored here. Especially since the talks of having a Nintendo section of Universal at some point.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What's the most accessible recent Zelda? I'm getting my gf a 3DS for Christmas, and I think a Zelda game would be a good choice.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Megasabin posted:

What's the most accessible recent Zelda? I'm getting my gf a 3DS for Christmas, and I think a Zelda game would be a good choice.

Without question, A Link Between Worlds.

The Ocarina and Majora remakes are both excellent, but with the 3D gameplay and more complex overall structure, I couldn't recommend them of ALBW.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Link Between Worlds is the most recent game that isn't a remake or offshoot, it's fantastic and arguably one of the best in the series.

If the top down style doesn't appeal to her, Ocarina of Time 3d is a good choice. Majora's Mask is great of course but probably less accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

This is really dope. I've always wanted to try a room escape game, and I live in an actual city people live in, so I can get to one of these super easy.

Oh, and in the purchase screen you can even see how many tickets are left for each hour. That's nice :)

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 16, 2016