Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Redeye Flight posted:

Oh I do that already. This game was made for me.

My problem is that I didn't scale up the foundationals (namely, microchips) nearly enough for the later-grade stuff, which is already built deep into the design. So I'm constantly having to staple new complexes on the side and I'm running out of accesses to my main resource belt.

Red and Green science have always run just swimmingly, but I have NEVER been able to get the mix right on Blue. Usually I'm short on purple arms but never once have I had adequate amounts of everything. So I have to constantly tweak the inputs, turn the gear machine on and off to keep it from choking the sorter, manually feed in microchips to the later parts of the belt...

It's aggravating.

What do you mean by choking the sorter? You shouldn't have to turn anything off. Just let your inputs saturate the belt, and they'll automatically scale back to produce the appropriate amount. Then, look at what isn't saturated and make more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Redeye Flight posted:

...turn the gear machine on and off to keep it from choking the sorter...

Can you show a picture of what you're doing for blue science? Also, did you know that you can put an inserter between two assembling machines so that it puts the gears directly from the 'output' of one into the 'input' of the other?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Dirk the Average posted:

Sort of. Hit shift+e while hovering over an inserter.

ugh

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FISHMANPET posted:

Factorio is mostly a single threaded app and eventually you just hit a CPU wall. Sounds like in .15 it's going to be multi-threaded which is going to do wonders for performance. But basically the only answer is to put up with it and wait for them to improve the engine.

Yeah I dunno it's just so sluggish now. One of the mods I run is EvoGUI and the play timer is taking over two seconds for a single second to pass. I don't think I'm going to take another shot at mass-producing rockets until .15 rolls around.

It's too bad. :( I was starting to like some of my big processing plants.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Find out what mods are gimping your performance. Press F4 and check the option labelled show_time_used_percent.

Mods that interact with belts (Smart Splitters, Hacked Splitters, Factorissimo) have heavy CPU usage as they have to update every game tick.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I dunno it's just so sluggish now. One of the mods I run is EvoGUI and the play timer is taking over two seconds for a single second to pass. I don't think I'm going to take another shot at mass-producing rockets until .15 rolls around.

It's too bad. :( I was starting to like some of my big processing plants.

Based on Arumba's multiplayer experiences, EvoGUI takes up lots of CPU. If you're just interested in knowing the evolution factor, open up the chat and enter "/evolution".

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I play on peaceful so really the only thing I use it for is a play timer.

e: The culprit seems to be wireless charging, which is too bad because I liked those electric trains. :(

Even with the mod disabled, the slowdown is kinda gnarly though.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 15, 2016

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

RyokoTK posted:

I play on peaceful so really the only thing I use it for is a play timer.

e: The culprit seems to be wireless charging, which is too bad because I liked those electric trains. :(

Even with the mod disabled, the slowdown is kinda gnarly though.

Aren't Electric TRains and Wireless Charging separate mods? You can still use the trains, you'll just need fusion generators for each one instead... though I guess that carries its own difficulties.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
It was a combination of a lot of problems. Still IS, but it's being better fixed now. I just about tripled the microchip input and it's working better than it was.

I'll do a complete postmortem once i get this drat rocket launched, break down my mistakes and what i learned from them.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Would someone mind giving me the run down on combinators and curcuits?

I have played through the four campaign levels and belt madness to four but it doesn't cover those aspects. I've just started a solo play generated map hoping to build the rocket and escape...or what ever. Red and green science packs are being produced by automation using belts and inserters with oil processing about to be set up, along with a train to get the goods to the main factory.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Ugh. I put my oil processing too far from my main base and now I feel like I can't be bothered to move the whole thing but also I don't want to run pipes a huge distance for the different oil products, especially since I found moving pipes around to redo layout stuff (especially trains) to be one of the most obnoxious details in my last game. I'm thinking running pipes to the manufacturing areas is the best solution - at the very least, I'll need to get lubricant down there, unless I do some very strange train work. This game! :psyduck: I was going to just use trains to move barrels all over the place but getting train stop conditionals to cooperate in that context (especially since I'm pre-logistics bots) is a strange hassle.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

what are some good, simple QoL mods? I got that mod that makes trains worthwhile by moving resources further out

Ignoranus posted:

Ugh. I put my oil processing too far from my main base and now I feel like I can't be bothered to move the whole thing but also I don't want to run pipes a huge distance for the different oil products, especially since I found moving pipes around to redo layout stuff (especially trains) to be one of the most obnoxious details in my last game. I'm thinking running pipes to the manufacturing areas is the best solution - at the very least, I'll need to get lubricant down there, unless I do some very strange train work. This game! :psyduck: I was going to just use trains to move barrels all over the place but getting train stop conditionals to cooperate in that context (especially since I'm pre-logistics bots) is a strange hassle.

there's a mod that has a tanker cart for trains. thinking of getting it myself

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

a7m2 posted:

what are some good, simple QoL mods? I got that mod that makes trains worthwhile by moving resources further out

there's a mod that has a tanker cart for trains. thinking of getting it myself
Get it, it's going to be added to the game anyway. Might as well save the hassle now!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Barreling is a pain in the rear end but long-distance piping is way worse and is awful to try and scale up. I'm gonna nth just getting the rail tanker mod. That'll let you transport via train any fluid too, not just crude, so you can have an intermediate processing site to render crude into petroleum before sending it off to your sulfur or plastic plants.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slim Mat posted:

I have played through the four campaign levels and belt madness to four but it doesn't cover those aspects. I've just started a solo play generated map hoping to build the rocket and escape...or what ever. Red and green science packs are being produced by automation using belts and inserters with oil processing about to be set up, along with a train to get the goods to the main factory.
The finer parts of circuits are completely overkill for all but logic masturbation. The extent most people need to worry about it:

Wire a chest to an inserter taking out of an assembler and into that chest and set it to run < an upper limit. Mostly useful if you only want a standing inventory of less than 1 stack, because you can just adjust number of slots in a chest for things measured in stacks. Even for things measured in stacks you can compound this idea so that you can have something like one pipe assembler making into a chest, that chest keeps 100 pipes on hand, and feeds the rest into underground pipes or chem plant assemblers.

Wire a belt section to an inserter or splitter, and set it to run > 1. This lets you do over priority on a belt or otherwise make production dependent on overstocking the belt.

Wire pumps on the inlet of chem plants running cracking to the storage tank of lube for heavy oil and set it to run when lube > some limit. For light oil, have a pump to cracking chem plants and a pump to solid fuel chem plants. Wire them to the storage tank for petroleum and set solid fuel to run when petrol > some limit and crack when petrol < some limit.

Play with those concepts a bit, maybe poke around the Factorio forums for simple tricks but don't worry too much about it because you can build around even those simple use cases without circuits by just going bigger or planning out ratios.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Slim Mat posted:

Here's a really good Factorio forums post that explains circuits and combinators in a good amount of detail: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=14556

I'd write my own but imgur is being a gently caress-up so I can't upload any good pics right now

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I have pretty much everything modular. What kind of things do you guys produce at the "main factory"? I haven't really gotten to the point where I can build whatever, I've only just set up automated green science.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do mods disable achievements? That's a little annoying as the only mod I'm currently using actually makes things more challenging rather than less.

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
Thanks zedprime and Talky. I still don't really understand the purpose of them or how to even set them up to do useful things. I assume they are for making certain amounts of something particular at a certain time...I did read that whole guide on the Factorio forum and it was a little overwhelming and the practical examples didn't really seem like things I would need. I think I'd need to see some in action to understand :wtc:

a7m2, I usually consider my "main factory" as the thing making the science packs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slim Mat posted:

Thanks zedprime and Talky. I still don't really understand the purpose of them or how to even set them up to do useful things. I assume they are for making certain amounts of something particular at a certain time...I did read that whole guide on the Factorio forum and it was a little overwhelming and the practical examples didn't really seem like things I would need. I think I'd need to see some in action to understand :wtc:

a7m2, I usually consider my "main factory" as the thing making the science packs.

Things I use circuits for:

* Balancing oil cracking to meet demands
* turning off my radar array when power is low
* making lots of needless pretty warning lights and signs
* balancing unloaders
* soon enabling or disabling train stations based on if they need new material

My main factory is the snaky mess that builds everything but poorly.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

a7m2 posted:

Do mods disable achievements? That's a little annoying as the only mod I'm currently using actually makes things more challenging rather than less.

That's a good reason to use Steam Achievement Manager to set achievements manually.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
You can get (most or) all of them with a modded game. There are some you cannot get on peaceful though, notably the speedrun ones.

source: I play modded and have almost all the peaceful ones.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can get the ingame achievements but not the steam achievements if you're playing with mods.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Slim Mat posted:

I think I'd need to see some in action to understand :wtc:
Some examples in the wild:

Easy

I am at the point where I am only ever making a locomotive at a time by hand, and engines are used for nothing else. I set up this green circuit to activate the inserter when engines< 20. When the chest is filled with 20 engines, the inserter stops preventing the engine assembler from being too much of a drain during normal circumstances

You need straight pipes on hand but you also need a lot of underground pipes. This set up has the inserter feeding the underground pipes hooked up to the pipe stock over the red circuit. Its set to activate when pipes are >99. So once you get 100 pipes in the chest, it begins feeding the underground pipes instead to create excess underground pipes while keeping a stock of straight pipe for the fiddly bits

Intermediate

At the top there is a green circuit connecting a comparing combinator and the belt. The Combinator is set to spit out an arbitrary variable with a value of 1 when belts on the belt are > 0. At the bottom there is another green circuit connecting a chest of yellow belts and another comparing combinator. This one instead looks for belts > 99 to spit out the same arbitrary variable with a value of 1. The combinators are connected to the wider red network, which adds them together. That is then fed into the final combinator, which turns on the shunt inserter when the arbitrary variable is > 1.

So when the belt to the science assemblers are full, and when the chest of extra belts to have on hand is full, the arbitrary variable reads 2 on the wide red network which lets the combinator on the red network activate the shunt inserter so extra belts are shunted over to the next factory on the line which can reprocess extra yellow belts into red belts. So that makes this a practical example of an and gate.

Everyone and their brother has an example of the cracking scheme and I'm not actually there in my saves on hand so I'll leave that for someone else or you to look up.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 17, 2016

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

zedprime posted:

Those designs are cool, but they can mainly be achieved by having assemblers output into chests and then limit the chests to, say, 50 engines. They'll turn off and on automatically as you consume engines.

I'm sure you know that! I guess this post is for the person that asked originally.

Turning on and off cracking is definitely useful for ensuring oil production stays balanced with intermediates

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sharkbomb posted:

Those designs are cool, but they can mainly be achieved by having assemblers output into chests and then limit the chests to, say, 50 engines. They'll turn off and on automatically as you consume engines.

I would really like to see you achieve either of the other two with just chests.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You can do cracking without circuits (using Flow Control :c00lbert:)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can do cracking without circuits, by making a giant fuckoff refinery and biasing the pipes a little bit. I wouldn't want to, but hey, circuits are for ease of use from beginning to end and aren't anything resembling necessary.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Jabor posted:

I would really like to see you achieve either of the other two with just chests.

You just do a chain of passive provider and request chests between assemblers, with the chests limited to 50 items. When everything gets full the poo poo just turns off. I dunno man, maybe i'm missing the point. That's how I set up production of most things like pipes and underground pipes, and stuff I need sporadically and doesn't need to be replenished ASAP.

It also keeps you supplied with various intermediate products when you load into passive provider chests. If for whatever reason I need 500 gears I can just change my personal logistics settings and my bots will swarm me with gears.

I know it's not fancy but it's simple and easy to diagnose when there are shortages and bottlenecks.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 17, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sharkbomb posted:

You just do a chain of passive provider and request chests between assemblers, with the chests limited to 50 items. When everything gets full the poo poo just turns off. I dunno man, maybe i'm missing the point. That's how I set up production of most things like pipes and underground pipes, and stuff I need sporadically and doesn't need to be replenished ASAP

It sounds like you missed the point of those two things, since they're explicitly not just "stop when things are full".

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Jabor posted:

It sounds like you missed the point of those two things, since they're explicitly not just "stop when things are full".

He created a "Stop when things are full" set up with circuitry. Wait, sorry, I mean "shunt," so different

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sharkbomb posted:

He created a "Stop when things are full" set up with circuitry. Wait, sorry, I mean "shunt," so different

Yes, you've figured it out! "Go when things are full" is in fact the exact opposite of "Stop when things are full".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
'Wait I can do that with logistics! No wait circuits!' is a dumb argument because you need neither to both speed run or do rocket rate maximizing. Just do whatever gives you the sperg tingles. I personally hate work in progress sitting in chests and belts so anytime I can limit things to less than a stack or create dependent progressions of production or reprocessing I am all over it.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

zedprime posted:

'Wait I can do that with logistics! No wait circuits!' is a dumb argument because you need neither to both speed run or do rocket rate maximizing. Just do whatever gives you the sperg tingles. I personally hate work in progress sitting in chests and belts so anytime I can limit things to less than a stack or create dependent progressions of production or reprocessing I am all over it.

It's not really an argument, it's more like Jabor calling me stupid for whatever reason he feels compelled to be a dick about Factorio.

We get very different sperg tingles from this game-- I like my chests to be full of intermediate products so I can have anything at my disposal immediately via swarms of hundreds of bots. I also have 150 robot frames sitting in my intermediate chests so you'd probably have a rage-induced heart attack if you had to play my factory

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

edit: I can't read.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

zedprime posted:

Thanks for this, my understanding of circuitry ends where Rocky's Boots left off and I only ever did get to level 3 in Robot Odyssey, so this is very helpful to my fumbling grade-school attempts at using circuits to make my factory more efficient.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Phssthpok posted:

That's a good reason to use Steam Achievement Manager to set achievements manually.

Oh I forgot about this. Since the game still tracks them in the in-game interface this is pretty easy to accomplish. Thank you!

zedprime posted:

Everyone and their brother has an example of the cracking scheme and I'm not actually there in my saves on hand so I'll leave that for someone else or you to look up.
Can someone post this anyway? I'm fairly new to the game and don't know what this entails.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 18, 2016

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

e: double post

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Because I'm lazy I always just setup a pump to the heavy>light cracking chemical plants and red wire it to one of the heavy oil storage tanks, the condition is: heavy oil > 1,000

This means you'll crack all light oil till petrol gas is full and crack heavy oil over 1k to light. Quick and easy and it'll only stop when petrol gas is full which would mean my factory is idle.

e: vv you must be running a wild factory if you can't make lube with 1,000 heavy oil per storage tank?

Chakan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Chakan posted:

Because I'm lazy I always just setup a pump to the heavy>light cracking chemical plants and red wire it to one of the heavy oil storage tanks, the condition is: heavy oil > 1,000

This means you'll crack all light oil till petrol gas is full and crack heavy oil over 1k to light. Quick and easy and it'll only stop when petrol gas is full which would mean my factory is idle.

I prefer the alternate version where you only crack heavy to light when there's over a certain threshold of lubricant in the tanks so that I can still produce robots and blue belts.