Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Email I got

Keith Ellison posted:

Kyle-

Democrats win when we harness the power of everyday people and fight for the issues they care about. This election cycle, we did not motivate enough people to the ballot box.

Voter turnout hit a 20-year low for presidential elections, following a 70-year voter turnout low in 2014. We must champion the challenges of working families and give voters a reason to show up at the polls in 2018 and beyond.

That is why I am announcing my candidacy to be the next Chair of the Democratic National Committee.

Our Party is at its best when people across the country – rank and file DNC members, state chairs and vice chairs, county and local leaders, state legislators, governors, congressional leaders and activists have an active voice.

As a former state legislator, I know that elections are won and lost on the ground in the states, not in DC. As DNC chair I will invest in and empower our state and local parties by creating effective field operations, by maximizing access to an enhanced and advanced voter file, and by promoting collaboration between candidates at every level.

Most importantly, I want to be the Chair who brings all Democrats together around our shared values. Growing up in Detroit, Michigan I saw firsthand how families and communities were devastated by job losses. We must reclaim our history as the Party that stands with working people.

I want to re-energize our broad and diverse Democratic coalition and I want to make sure all are represented across our staff and leadership. We will never stop fighting attempts by the Trump White House and Republican-controlled states to roll back affordable health care, worker wages and protections, and a woman's right to choose. We will stand strong against efforts to divide or marginalize our friends and family by race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.

In the spirit of a great Democratic leader from Minnesota, Senator Paul Wellstone, I believe that “politics is the art of the possible, and organizing is the art of making more possible.”

I believe I have the vision, track record, and work ethic required to be your next DNC Chair. I hope you will add your name and join our campaign today.

Our Party is right. Our values are just. Our future relies on grassroots organizing and an agenda that improves people’s lives throughout our country.

In solidarity,

Keith Ellison

In solidarity in all the cool emails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone know what a "DTC" meeting is?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LegionAreI posted:

I'm happy to go to mine but the next meeting apparently isn't until January for some ridiculous reason

Syndlig posted:

Looks like I missed the bus on my local parties as well. WilCo Democrats held their monthly meeting on the 10th, and the Texas Democratic Party holds their meetings...sometime? I think I remember it being the first Thursday of the month, but it's impossible to find anything on their website.

I'm kind of surprised nobody is scheduling any party meetings or anything, considering the complete shellacking we just received and all the poo poo going on in the party at large right now.

This is because the Democratic Party is either weak or non existent all over the loving place

The Republican congressman for my district has visited my tiny town of less than 5000 every single election without fail.

None of the democrats have ever come, even when invited.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

bump_fn posted:

i tried emailing that on friday and it bounced

call the office instead

Good old Mike Madigan, pride of St. Ignatius

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GlyphGryph posted:

Down to Clown?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
also don't forget to call your representatives' offices and ask when they're going to make a statement about steve cannon

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

dnc reform step one: make sure every state party has a website and contact details that actually work

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peel posted:

dnc reform step one: make sure every state has a party

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

I really wish someone had seriously asked me this during the campaign. I did not appreciate being totally loving shocked by these results. I look back at my comments in various places as the election went on and realize I seem to have known everything that was wrong with Clinton, I just assumed from the polls that everybody else didn't know or was looking the other way because Trump sucks so much. Oops. It really feels like a bunch of voters just decided to play a prank on Hillary and the media.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Peel posted:

dnc reform step one: make sure every state party has a website and contact details that actually work

Yeah loving tell me about it, this is loving horrible. I'm very, very lucky to live in MA - they apparently have this poo poo on lockdown.

I'm trying to do some stuff with New york politics right now and poo poo don't even work - all the buttons just take you to the goddamn donate page, and the calendars are either broken or empty.

Definitely gonna have to make some phone calls, this is pathetic. My tiny little town's Democratic party has a better website and more information than literally any source I've found in New York so far.

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 05:43 on Nov 15, 2016

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fulchrum posted:

90% of the audience - "why did Stan Lee shave his moustache?".

And that woman's name was Albert Einstein.

Seriously though, why are people saying Ellisson is the only choice for a labor focused Dem party? Does he have experience as a strike leader or a union boss or something?

Not being dismissive, I just want to know what exactly people are referring to.

While I don't think he was a union member. He's pushed for very strong pro-union/pro-labor laws in DC. He's also Sander's pick for the spot and I feel with him at the helm will help make my friends feel like the DNC and Democrats aren't corrupt and get them to reengage in politics.

GlyphGryph posted:

direct-to-consumer?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm trying to do some stuff with New york politics right now and poo poo don't even work - all the buttons just take you to the goddamn donate pag, and the calendars are either broken or empty.

the perfect metaphor

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What does "DLC" mean? I noticed it seems to mean something like establishment Democrats or something like that.

Zikan posted:

that e-mail doesn't work, we've tried it repeatedly and get failed to deliver messages

Thanks for the heads up! :D

Gringostar posted:

You should probably call him (773) 581-8000

What do I say to him? Will I actually speak with him or his secretary?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Don't look for Pundit's "hot takes." Look for interviews, and polls. Basically primary sources. For example, what does Jaime Harrison say about his odorous relation with the Podesta Group? Well lets watch Rachel Maddow because she has him on. "It's to feed the kids." :what:

Welp at least we know.

For years I have been watching PBS Frontline. Why can't they cover more material more frequently? I really like their style/format/topics. Is there no other news source that takes their job this seriously without being snug about themselves?

Given that even Trump/Ryan were surprised by the win, I am beginning to think that either a minority's opinion were suppressed by all media outlets or that the "silent majority" were actually silent (which is somewhat understandable given how Hillary and the left media vilified Trump supporters).

I've started by spending more time listening to Trump supporters (land lady, one of the engineers at work) who are totally decent people, but I would like to reach more or at least get an unedited version of their opinions and views without having to go to right wing conspiracy theory sites.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Someone should ask Howard Dean if universal healthcare is still a fairy tale. New lobbyist guy too, for that matter.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

iospace posted:

Down to Clown?

I made a Donald Crump joke at work. Painted face, dancing like a fool. Fell flat. Apparently no one knows what crumping is anymore? :smith:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You'll speak to some random staffer.

Typically you'll want to give a generic cordial greeting, identify yourself wrt the relevance of your opinion ("I'm a lifelong <party> and I voted for <person whose office you're calling>"), make a brief statement regarding your concerns and what, specifically, you want the person whose office you're calling to do about them. If the staffer wants to talk with you some more, talk with them, if not they'll just thank you for your call or whatever and then you thank them for their time and hang up.

what kind of shut-in are you? :cmon:

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Peel posted:

:yeah:

poking around shows dem sites in PA with info that hasnt been updated since 2013, if ever

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Would Russ Feingold be a better choice for DNC chair than Keith Ellison?

I know Russ Feingold and I know that he's not the same as the Wall Street bootlicking hacks that the Democratic party has trotted out for 30 years, but the Democratic brand from the 80's to the 90's is tarnished and people will just associate him with Clintonism. And I know he's not the same, but Bernie thinks that Ellison is the guy because he risked major political capital endorsing him over the Queen when that was seen by some to be a self-inflicted death sentence.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

What does "DLC" mean? I noticed it seems to mean something like establishment Democrats or something like that.

Thanks for the heads up! :D

The Democratic Leadership Council

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

hailthefish posted:

You'll speak to some random staffer.

Typically you'll want to give a generic cordial greeting, identify yourself wrt the relevance of your opinion ("I'm a lifelong <party> and I voted for <person whose office you're calling>"), make a brief statement regarding your concerns and what, specifically, you want the person whose office you're calling to do about them. If the staffer wants to talk with you some more, talk with them, if not they'll just thank you for your call or whatever and then you thank them for their time and hang up.

what kind of shut-in are you? :cmon:

But I didn't vote for him. I'm not even in his district.

I'm glad it's formally dead.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

punk rebel ecks posted:

kill whitey obviously

you'll get an aid (not even his secretary) or voice mail

thing is, emails are sorted by subject and then either counted or just ignored where as phone calls or messages actually have to be listened to by a staffer and that poo poo gets filtered up

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
madigan is the head of the illinois dem party so it's appropriate for anyone in illinois to call his office i think?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

theHUNGERian posted:

For years I have been watching PBS Frontline. Why can't they cover more material more frequently? I really like their style/format/topics. Is there no other news source that takes their job this seriously without being snug about themselves?

Given that even Trump/Ryan were surprised by the win, I am beginning to think that either a minority's opinion were suppressed by all media outlets or that the "silent majority" were actually silent (which is somewhat understandable given how Hillary and the left media vilified Trump supporters).

I've started by spending more time listening to Trump supporters (land lady, one of the engineers at work) who are totally decent people, but I would like to reach more or at least get an unedited version of their opinions and views without having to go to right wing conspiracy theory sites.

poo poo like Frontline is expensive and not guaranteed to make money

American conservatism is very intertwined with conspiracy theories. I've been thinking it's sort of like how under slavery and Jim Crow the Southern elite consistently tried to convince themselves that black people were actually better off subjugated. It makes no sense, but it justifies your prejudices and reaffirms your position in society.

Liberals seem to soothe their disconnect from reality with smugness and botched numbers.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i was gonna make a joke about the florida democratic party having been swallowed by a sinkhole but apparently they've got an office with contact info listed for every county in the state :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

http://www.floridadems.org/our-party/counties

i've got a lot of phone numbers to call (assuming any of these are actually valid)

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Atrocious Joe posted:

poo poo like Frontline is expensive and not guaranteed to make money

American conservatism is very intertwined with conspiracy theories. I've been thinking it's sort of like how under slavery and Jim Crow the Southern elite consistently tried to convince themselves that black people were actually better off subjugated. It makes no sense, but it justifies your prejudices and reaffirms your position in society.

Liberals seem to soothe their disconnect from reality with smugness and botched numbers.

numbers don't lie though*

*does not apply to numbers generated by bad algorithms

Souai
Dec 16, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I would expect DTC to refer to Democratic Town Committees which are local dem groups mostly in Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Where was this in context?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do you think he can tell that from a phone call?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah but that would be....lying. :froggonk:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fulchrum posted:

Fake your best thick Chicago accent to throw them off the scent

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Down To Crunk. Bring marg mix/weed.

e: do we get to go back to the exuberant stupidity that was the first couple months of Bernie thread? that poo poo was fun

Grand Prize Winner has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Nov 15, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/immolations/status/798006664989470720

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah but that would be....lying. :froggonk:

C'mon, kid...all the COOL folks are doin' it!:mmmhmm:

(seriously, though, progressives need to get better at lying to people. It's politics, ffs)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

Either lie, or accept that your opinion is literally meaningless from his perspective

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

C'mon, kid...all the COOL folks are doin' it!:mmmhmm:

(seriously, though, progressives need to get better at lying to people. It's politics, ffs)

Marxism is a universal truth. No need to lie

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Marxism is a universal truth. No need to lie

A thing that some people unironically believe, I'm afraid.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
again, madigan is chair of the illinois democratic committee and so if you say you vote and donate to dems his office should listen

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

GlyphGryph posted:

down to chair, obvs

:quagmire:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

A thing that some people unironically believe, I'm afraid.

Are you saying Marx is wrong about the cycle of market expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GlyphGryph posted:

id rather go to a "DTA" meeting

• Locked thread