Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

She berated him for basically napping off falling off the loving roof and they bought a metal roof the following spring.

The right kind of snow will cling to a metal roof no problem though, unless it's really steep.

e: Cool story though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
:madmax:

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Jerry Cotton posted:

The right kind of snow will cling to a metal roof no problem though, unless it's really steep.

e: Cool story though.

Oh, I realize that. But now they can shovel it less often, and do it from the ground with one of those long scooper things much more easily.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Railing Kill posted:

Oh, I realize that. But now they can shovel it less often, and do it from the ground with one of those long scooper things much more easily.

OR they could electrify the roof and the snow will melt off hold on how do I make a Kickstarter?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
GoPro has recalled all of its latest Karma brand drones since they have a flaw which causes them to drop out of the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtttyMnNKk

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Or just buy a roof rake and do it from the ground.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Railing Kill posted:

"design and build a kayak for a man with no arms," or "design and build a way :siren: for a man with no arms to use a chainsaw :siren: ."

next year: design a chainsaw for a man with no arms and 1 leg

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JB50 posted:

Yeah a tool with a 30-metre handle is really loving useful to remove a few tonnes of compacted snow and ice that's clinging to a surface :rolleyes:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

JB50 posted:

How you supposed to operate that thing with a hook?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jerry Cotton posted:

OR they could electrify the roof and the snow will melt off hold on how do I make a Kickstarter?
You're decades too late.

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

JB50 posted:

Or go with something like this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but I'll put a LED and one of them Ardingos on it!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

GoPro has recalled all of its latest Karma brand drones since they have a flaw which causes them to drop out of the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvtttyMnNKk

gopro is super hosed. they were losing money before this.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It will never not be funny that they named those things "Karma".

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

How you supposed to operate that thing with a hook?

Same way he does with other items I suppose. Might need a few modifications. The point is you dont fall off the roof with that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JB50 posted:

Boy am I glad I live in Arizona.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hillo posted:

Or go with something like this

Those are immensely easier to use.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

mostlygray posted:

I think it's more that the implementation of roundabouts in Minnesota is lovely. Poor signage, etc. There are a bunch of roundabouts under Hwy 169 where the main route on W 78th is very poorly labeled. The road jogs around a lot and the signs are all for roads that don't go where any human being would want to go. They're also used to slow traffic instead of being useful. I understand them when 7 roads meet, but these are 4 way interchanges. A stop sign works fine.

Four way stops in Minnesota are WAY worse than roundabouts. Nobody knows when to go... EVER. Down here by the Iowa border, the roundabouts on 169 are okayish enough. We even see people with Iowa license plates make it through them just fine. Waiting for a grain hauler to get through one of them is a pain in the rear end though. Ok... back I go to the page I came from.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

JB50 posted:

Same way he does with other items I suppose. Might need a few modifications. The point is you dont fall off the roof with that.

The roof rake wouldn't work as well or at all with the way he uses the hook. He can shovel with a bit of help from gravity. The roof rake requires him to get it up and over the snow and pull it downward, which is a lot harder than being up there with a shovel and just pushing the snow off.

BTW, he used the chainsaw rig once. He got about ten seconds into using it and realized, "I have made a huge mistake." He managed to disengage it from the log he had cut into, set the death trap down without sawing his toes off somehow, and turned it off. He was also alone in the woods behind his house at the time, which I'm sure thrilled his wife to no end when she found out later. She, as you may be able to tell, has the patience of a saint.

There's just something very OSHA about him. He is bound and determined to not be limited by his handicap, and that's understandable, but he absolutely cannot separate "things I can technically manage to do" with "things I should do."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37978482

its_happening.gif

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Stupid mother fucker driving a rollback truck didn't sweep his flatbed so I almost caught a big rock with my windshield on the highway. I wish cops down here in Florida would enforce debris laws better. But then I wish cops down here did a lot of things better, like actually use their turn signals.

I love the trucks that have those "STAY BACK 200 FEET - NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WINDSHIELD DAMAGE" signs

nice try, assholes

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I love the trucks that have those "STAY BACK 200 FEET - NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WINDSHIELD DAMAGE" signs

nice try, assholes

Or the dry-cleaners, "not responsible for lost or damaged items!"

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I think this is the better option. Put a razor sharp edge so that there are no impacts, any excess height is cleanly sheared off.

https://twitter.com/atuomatic/status/797650811287437312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

More blood for the trash god

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

nice try, assholes

I was just driving behind one of these the other day. I was all "OKAY SURE let's see how this plays out when your load falls off onto my car"

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

neonbregna posted:

More trash for the trash god

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I am really looking forward to having this contractor's rear end for breakfast tomorrow since I would be dead right now if this crane hadn't been welding itself to the floor by the time I went to switch it on.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

I am really looking forward to having this contractor's rear end for breakfast tomorrow since I would be dead right now if this crane hadn't been welding itself to the floor by the time I went to switch it on.

I looked at it a minute. Then I looked again. Then I went OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!

Only upshot - if you plugged that in, the load wouldn't operate normally. If it was a motor you'd be sort of single-phasing it and the protection would trip because it would pull a ton of current.

You'd also get a pretty good amount of current flow through the ground. Depending on the feed you may get lucky and cause a ground-fault trip upstream. Those are set to detect ground fault currents in the ampere range, not milliamps like the ones in your kitchen.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 16, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

I looked at it a minute.

Then I looked again.

Then I went OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!

I'm still somewhat in the dark. Does it have to with the green (I'm assuming ground) and the yellow going to the same terminal?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

flosofl posted:

I'm still somewhat in the dark. Does it have to with the green (I'm assuming ground) and the yellow going to the same terminal?

That's one wire - green/yellow. Green/yellow is ALWAYS ground. In this case it connects to the chassis of whatever is on the left side of that plug.

The green/yellow wire is connected to "Z", that's one of the three hot wires. If you plug that in, the chassis of whatever that plug is wired to (like a motor casing) will become live with 277 volts. This is probably the worst-case screwup. If you plug the device in and touch the case you're almost guaranteed to get one hell of a shock.

Also, you need to be careful with three-phase plugs. If you have a motor and swap any two of the three hot wires, the motor you're connected to will spin in the opposite direction. This doesn't matter what type of motor - induction or synchronous. In a lot of cases that's a problem if a motor runs in the opposite direction you expect. We had to do special testing at work when commissioning equipment (14kV) to ensure the correct phase rotation.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 16, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-phase that was what I thought too after two days of intermittently plugging it in and troubleshooting the hoist. But no, the busbar fuses never blew and I kept unplugging it, looking for switches or wires rubbing inside the panels, nothing. Then I walked away to look for a mechanical drawing, believing I had ruled out any possibility of an electrical problem and returned to a wide eyed engineer asking "is this nut supposed to be smoking? Have you guys been welding over here?"

Not on purpose bro.

E: and yes, the ground teminal on that plug is painted bright green on the back how the gently caress did someone gently caress that up

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 16, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

Three-phase that was what I thought too after two days of intermittently plugging it in and troubleshooting the hoist. But no, the busbar fuses never blew and I kept unplugging it, looking for switches or wires rubbing inside the panels, nothing. Then I walked away to look for a mechanical drawing, believing I had ruled out any possibility of an electrical problem and returned to a wide eyed engineer asking "is this nut supposed to be smoking? Have you guys been welding over here?"

Not on purpose bro.

Can you post a three-line diagram of the power system without getting into trouble? :stare:

(Forget this postulation I posted earlier - since something was smoking this was clearly set up by accident.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 16, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Same guy wired that outlet at the same time so I'm not taking any chances until I and someone I trust look at it, I'm a controls guy. Pretty sure our system is delta though, haven't seen anything but 3 + earth in any of the cabinets I've worked in.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

Same guy wired that outlet at the same time so I'm not taking any chances until I and someone I trust look at it, I'm a controls guy. Pretty sure our system is delta though, haven't seen anything but 3 + earth in any of the cabinets I've worked in.

Go full John Snow if there's enough spare cable. Get a pair of wire cutters and cut the cable off and take the plug with you. (Don't do this while it's plugged in!)

Also that's sounds like a really, really serious screwup we're talking about here. I'm not saying fire-on-the-spot (as tempting as it may be) but this is something that absolutely should not happen when you've got someone competent doing your wiring.

I would treat that system like it's dangerous until proven otherwise.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 16, 2016

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

what the hell is that abomination of a plug anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hillo posted:

what the hell is that abomination of a plug anyway

NEMA L16 I think?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NEMA... 14-30? It's a three phase twist-lock that's all over the place in industry. For more really useful but never-seen outside factory automation connectors check out M8 and M12 sensor cable terminations. Especially the 8-conductor M8s with screw terminals oh my god they're like fine jewelry

E: L16-30

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 16, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
NEMA L22 if it's 480/277V, four wires, plus ground (five wires).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harting is another whole can of plug & socket spergery I never could've imagined until I was up to my armpits in it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

Harting is another whole can of plug & socket spergery I never could've imagined until I was up to my armpits in it.

Four-to-twenty till I die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Go full John Snow if there's enough spare cable. Get a pair of wire cutters and cut the cable off and take the plug with you. (Don't do this while it's plugged in!)

Also that's sounds like a really, really serious screwup we're talking about here. I'm not saying fire-on-the-spot (as tempting as it may be) but this is something that absolutely should not happen when you've got someone competent doing your wiring.

I would treat that system like it's dangerous until proven otherwise.
This is all good advice. Where I work the maintenance overlord would put you on a no-release-until-someone-competent-checks-your-work regimen. If you do that poo poo again, out. This is the kind of bullshit that kills people.