Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Worth noting is if a player is on the list, it doesn't necessarily mean they're unusable. In a League where Ken Oberkfell can be the starting 3B for a Championship team, any decent player in real life might be able to work in the right setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Yaya posted:

Worth noting is if a player is on the list, it doesn't necessarily mean they're unusable. In a League where Ken Oberkfell can be the starting 3B for a Championship team, any decent player in real life might be able to work in the right setting.

Right. The point was that these players are guys who, based on name recognition alone, you'd expect to work out in almost any setup. But they come up short.

Also, I forgot one important one:

1. Walter Johnson. But only when he's on craigk's team.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

mrnoun posted:

That's on odd way to spell Josh Gibson lou Gehrig babe Ruth Hank Aaron rube Weddell and Robb nen

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hard to believe Nen could ever struggle, tough life

edit: I am always sad when that Gibson dies though. also it would be cool if Bruce Petway found his way into the Super League. Also I didn't realize the Marmosets have Turkey Stearnes!

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 15, 2016

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Craig K posted:

That's on odd way to spell Josh Gibson lou Gehrig babe Ruth Hank Aaron rube Weddell and Robb nen

Then you should have been bitching about them instead of Johnson.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

mrnoun posted:

Then you should have been bitching about them instead of Johnson.

Frankly itd be easier to list who did well so Good Work Jack Powell and Billy Herman

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Add A-Rod to the list!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

Add A-Rod to the list!

If only HulkaMatt still had this guy.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

mrnoun posted:

I think Johnson's a relatively new addition. He seems to have struggled big time in recent seasons.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

mrnoun posted:

Third Base

4. Eddie Mathews. There's some debate about Mathews, because he's had a few good years in the SL. But he's had a lot more bad ones. Again, his strikeouts hurt him.

I'm convinced the problem is that Eddie Mathews was secretly horrible against left handed pitching, and not enough people here platoon him. I have had great success with him in the SL when not letting him ever see a left handed starter. It could also be that playing in a homer stadium helps him some...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Armitage posted:

I think Johnson's a relatively new addition. He seems to have struggled big time in recent seasons.

It doesn't help that half the Walter Johnsons out there are mid-30s and older.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Championship Series Pick 'em!
Pick the Winners, Number of Games (Best of Seven) and Score of Final Game

Sindhi Sheikhs vs. RCMP -- RCMP in 5, 6-3
Khartoum Doom vs. Portland Panderers -- Panderers in 6, 7-2

I hope you can all see by Lou Whitaker's modest success in the SL while Joe Morgan struggles that Whitaker is a no doubt Hall of Fame player.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 15, 2016

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Okay, I'll give Beet thirty seconds to get his roster in before I sim the next round.

And he's out of time.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Pick em
RCMP in 6, 7-3
Panderers in 7, 5-2

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I think mogul doesn't always understand pitchers limiting hits without high strikeout totals. Great ERA+ like Johnson had doesn't mean much in mogul unless peripherals back it up.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Pander
McFreeze
DannoMack
Beet?

Macho or Nacho? The world needs an answer.

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Doesn't Beet already have a pending Macho challenge from when he accepted before last years finals?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

shepard.shouldgo posted:

Doesn't Beet already have a pending Macho challenge from when he accepted before last years finals?

Yep. What would being double Macho'd entail? Losing your first team, keeping three players from that team, building a new team from the leftover feeders, then immediately losing that team, keeping three players from it and building a new team from the leftover leftover feeders while Smasher gets to take two players for the Macho Men?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Macho or Nacho?

Why not both?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I have not yet lost a game in these playoffs, and I will continue to not do so until the Macho Men are no more.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
When Aaron Ledesma's bat is caked in the humors of each and every Macho Man then and only then will our journey be complete. Of course we accept the challenge.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Pass on the challenge. My team is not yet complete.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Myth: Pander is a punk rear end bitch

CONFIRMED

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Wow. Normally I feel bad for eliminating you, but this time it'll be fun to see you trampled underfoot.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I would have definitely taken the challenge!

Too bad the Sheikhs are too strong.

The Sheikhs biggest obstacle to a Super League championship will be keeping a straight face. Sheikhs in 3. In the DLCS and the Finals.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

The Sheikhs couldn't even win their division!

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Ice To Meet You posted:

Myth: Pander is a punk rear end bitch

CONFIRMED

Pander posted:

Wow. Normally I feel bad for eliminating you, but this time it'll be fun to see you trampled underfoot.

Thank god the playoffs are finally getting interesting.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ice To Meet You posted:

If only HulkaMatt still had this guy.

You're added to THE LIST!

shepard.shouldgo
Feb 2, 2016

Shepards entry into the surprisingly low turnout "make smasher happy" contest

Smasher, I've figured out whats wrong with the Packers. It took millions of dollars in research to find a microscope able to read the fine print, but somebody didn't catch a key part of the head coach assembly instructions. This, along with playing Washington soon, should fix all the Packers problems

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

shepard.shouldgo posted:

Shepards entry into the surprisingly low turnout "make smasher happy" contest

Smasher, I've figured out whats wrong with the Packers. It took millions of dollars in research to find a microscope able to read the fine print, but somebody didn't catch a key part of the head coach assembly instructions. This, along with playing Washington soon, should fix all the Packers problems

buddy i wrote like 6k words and phantasy star iv mspaint work in the last make smasher happy contest only to watch some lovely poochie gif made in like 5 seconds win

what i'm saying is you'll probably win because the audience never appreciates just how hard you work on things

(this also goes for articles about gross men eating gross hotdogs getting much more traffic than institutionalized racism in baseball)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

what i'm saying is you'll probably win because the audience never appreciates just how hard you work on things

So the "Make Smasher Happy" contest is an allegory for the BBM Super-League thread as a whole, then?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Oh man I keep forgetting to do something for that... If only I had a copy of Final Fantasy 13 I would just record a video of me playing it and being angry about how much it sucks or something.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

My entry into the Make Smasher Happy contest.

----------
Part 1
----------

First, mute the sound on this video and click play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-lwgdMqrXY&t=30s

Then click play on this video, but with the sound on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UA61C6EOM
Enjoy for 8 or 9 minutes.

----------
Interlude
----------

To cleanse your musical palate you might want to turn off the above song and enjoy what most critics agree is the greatest rap song in history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ3io7Xgzio&t=29s

----------
Part 2
----------

With your palate cleansed, it's time to watch this stand up comedy act that is a combination of peak Carlin and peak Pryor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjTZyzGMYk0

Enjoy 3 or 4 minutes.

----------
Interlude
----------

Want some more sick music? Please enjoy this influential 1990's hit about the Super League's best closer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6p4J4lu-bA

----------
Part 3
----------

Next play this audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gB3pD3UYf0

While you watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qFLKBgvojM

----------
Interlude
----------

For your final musical number, please enjoy one of my legit favourite songs by Drake's uncle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1IuD6F3R5I

----------
Part 4
----------

Finally I want to leave you with a video that is so powerful. So poignant. So NECESSARY, that I recommend watching it every night before bed and every morning when you wake up as a form of daily affirmation. I do.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbKYCrcnkY

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

DannoMack posted:

Finally I want to leave you with a video that is so powerful. So poignant. So NECESSARY, that I recommend watching it every night before bed and every morning when you wake up as a form of daily affirmation. I do.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UdsVO7HaJg

Fixed

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I can't believe Smasher is making me post an update on Overwatch patch day. What the gently caress. Frustrated isn't the goddamn word for it - this is bullshit!

Team Statistics

Hey oldskool, next time you make an earth-shattering trade that shakes up your entire team, you should post your new roster instead of making me guess at it.

Mike Schmidt did good!

I guess these guys aren't dead yet.

Three Petes is good, but they're all over 34 years old. Harder to dominate at that age.

EC Pick 'em: The Gauntlet, Round 4
Pick TWO!

Burlington Berners
Philadelphia Lifebuoys
Post-Apocalyptic Survivors
Zheleznogorsk Atomic Bears

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ice To Meet You posted:

EC Pick 'em: The Gauntlet, Round 4
Pick TWO!