Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Steve Francis courtside and he looks normal

So who knows maybe that was a bad picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/christrew/status/798357955133505536

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

euphronius posted:

Steve Francis courtside and he looks normal

So who knows maybe that was a bad picture.

all the horses and all the king's men actually came through

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Why do the Cavs have 2 mascots?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Really wish D'Antoni had used this game to rest some guys. Doesn't seem like any of them needed to play over 30 minutes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Everyone who predicted that the Wolves were going to win 50 games has to give me 40 dollars

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

Really wish D'Antoni had used this game to rest some guys. Doesn't seem like any of them needed to play over 30 minutes.

Maybe giving them playing time to learn the system?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/798335339798507520

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Pels started to flounder down the stretch but they never fell apart completely. AD played OK but not great and the rest of the team was able to carry him to a win. Lots of energy and longer stretches of consistently solid defense made the difference.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

His stroke was always pretty good with a very high release, and he has the right skillset to create space as well as elevate on his shot. He certainly won't be the, or even one of the, leaders in 3pt % by the end of the season but a lot of people were pretty sure his outside shot was going to catch up to him, and this hot start is a pretty good sign.

He's been hitting a lot of really tough shots during this run so either he will regress pretty soon or he's the next Jordan/Kobe.

That's sort of my complaint about 538's projection of him, as well as most of their projections in general. You look at a guy who has a 30% usage at 20 and you say "hmm, my models says he should be like these other guys who didn't have very good NBA careers despite them never carrying this offensive load. Whelp, its what my data says so I guess I'll go write an article!" Almost any other decently intelligent analyst would hedge on something like that, especially after watching him play. Or try to tweak the model. Or build in thresholds.

I'm probably coming off butt-hurt that a fringe NBA site isn't being nice to my pet player, but I'm a data-guy in real life and I get frustrated when other data-guys try to argue their model against reality.

And the all-star comment is funny, this morning I did a quick query to try and argue Wiggins deserves some serious all-star attention in this really young season but holy poo poo are a lot of individuals playing really, really well to start the season. I know this happens every year, but this is like a bumper crop of November Superstars.
You're right to call their CARMELO model stupid, because it is. It can recognize the obvious and it misses everything
. 538 sucks, nate silver sucks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Pistons are 5-0 at home with an average MOV of 17.4. And they didn't even have Drummond tonight (which may have opened up the offense. Aron Baynes somehow had 20 points and BOBAN swatted Adams without jumping.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Aron Baynes is really gross, so people don't want to body up on him. It's pretty smart.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Aron Baynes is really gross, so people don't want to body up on him. It's pretty smart.

this prompted me to google up this funny episode in nba history

quote:

“Adam Morrison,” Dudley called out, naming a teammate from the 2008-09 Charlotte Bobcats. “Remember Adam Morrison? He never took showers, he did the chewing tobacco that he spit all the time, and he wore the same three polos the whole year. This is a guy who made a lot of money, too, at that time. He was the face of diabetes, he was doing everything, he was on the cover of college games, he was [everywhere], and he was by far the worst and [most] disgusting.”

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Everyone who predicted that the Wolves were going to win 50 games has to give me 40 dollars

Why the gently caress are they so bad? They have the 6th best point differential in the West but the 11th best record. Just bad luck in close games? Something else?

What even is this? That's not a cushion that's like an entire set of chair pads stacked into one.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
What is Wrong With the Celtics? :grin:

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
They are missing Jae Crowder and Al Horford. They'll be fine when they come back.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
No they won't.

This is the Giant Inflatable Raptor God's punishment for hubris. Second best team in the East? Not on GIRG's watch.

https://twitter.com/TAMacKenzie/status/791435014638538753

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Libertine posted:

What even is this? That's not a cushion that's like an entire set of chair pads stacked into one.

Probably game-used cushions from when Phil was still coach.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Here is that good and cool dunk that was called a charge that I mentioned in the gdt:

https://streamable.com/2bjo

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kibner posted:

Probably game-used cushions from when Phil was still coach.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kibner posted:

Here is that good and cool dunk that was called a charge that I mentioned in the gdt:

That's a charge

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Defender dragged his feet.

Final call, that's a posterization.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

:worship:

Guys, I'm thinking about buying a Corey Brewer avatar. That's usually the most surefire way to ensure that Morey trades a dude.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Why were the Raptors the Huskies the other day? Because I thought that blue court design + the blue jerseys were pretty neat.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Jack's Flow posted:

Why were the Raptors the Huskies the other day? Because I thought that blue court design + the blue jerseys were pretty neat.

"Collect the whole set and give us money"

White, red, black, Drake, blue... that's a lot

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Jack's Flow posted:

The Huskies were the original Toronto pro basketball team. They only lasted one season, but they played the very first BAA game vs. the Knicks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
There was a time when ownership was deeply ashamed of being the "Raptors," and there was noise about switching to the Huskies. I'm glad a stop has been put to that.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lessail posted:

What is Wrong With the Celtics? :grin:

Avery Bradley is the leading rebounder

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kibner posted:

The defender started falling backward before the dunker even touched him. Honestly, it's kind of questionable whether he touched him at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

Why the gently caress are they so bad? They have the 6th best point differential in the West but the 11th best record. Just bad luck in close games? Something else?

Some bad luck, defense is problematic right now, a lot of young guys still learning the system. Their offense looks very good and I think the defense will get there. It's just taking a bit for it to translate into wins.

Season is still early and the bulls started slowly with Thibs too. 50 ain't happening but it's early to write them of entirely.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chunkles posted:

this prompted me to google up this funny episode in nba history

Good lord, that quote should be considered assault.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Bill Walton got his bike back

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/798222248029065216

Demar: So what are you telling me, that I'll be able to make threes?

Casey: No Demar, I'm saying that when youre ready, you wont have to

LOL

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/DangeRussWilson/status/798299609512562688

:hawksin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wilson seems like a cool dude.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I want David stern to come back and announce that he's partnering with the world to make sure it doesn't happen

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Did anyone really predict the Wolves to win 50 games? I was probably the most bullish on them here and even I said 45-ish, 48 as a ceiling if a whole lotta stuff goes right.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

RCarr posted:

The defender started falling backward before the dunker even touched him. Honestly, it's kind of questionable whether he touched him at all.
Yep. Another angle:

https://streamable.com/z78x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Somehow Isaiah Thomas comes out of this looking worse than the guy getting dunked on.

• Locked thread