Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GlyphGryph posted:

Anyone know what a "DTC" meeting is?

id rather go to a "DTA" meeting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Majorian posted:

C'mon, kid...all the COOL folks are doin' it!:mmmhmm:

(seriously, though, progressives need to get better at lying to people. It's politics, ffs)

You don't have to lie, you just say what you want to do. If one more Democratic candidate tells me to visit their loving campaign website instead of answering a debate question clearly, simply, and concisely I'm checking out. If their answer doesn't start with "We should strive to generally de-escalate in the Middle East" or "Medicare should have its age requirement removed so any American can choose to enroll" or "workers should have a right to unionize in order to bargain for better working conditions and we're going to raise the minimum wage" then you've gone and hosed up.

AngryBooch has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Nov 15, 2016

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Yeah. Just say stuff like "nobody will have to go hungry," "nobody will have to go bankrupt," etc. if your policies are properly implemented.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

AngryBooch posted:

You don't have to lie, you just say what you want to do. If one more Democratic candidate tells me to visit their loving campaign website instead of answering a debate question clearly, simply, and concisely I'm checking out. If their answer doesn't start with "We should strive to generally de-escalate in the Middle East" or "Medicare should have its age requirement removed so any American can choose to enroll" or "workers should have a right to unionize in order to bargain for better working conditions and we're going to raise the minimum wage" then you've gone and hosed up.

My god. A liberal platform! I haven't seen one of these in years!

:popeye:

GlobglogGroAbgalab has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Nov 15, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Larry Parrish posted:

Are you saying Marx is wrong about the cycle of market expansion

Eh, I'd say that I agree more with Marx's later, more nuanced approach to market expansion and its relationship to international conflicts, as set forth in Capital, than his (considerably more-frequently cited) earlier approach in The Communist Manifesto. I do not consider myself a Marxist, but I broadly agree with Henryk Grossman's interpretation of Marx and the connection between mature capitalism, imperialism, and Great Power conflict.

All that said, though, the part of your post I was more taking issue with was, "No need to lie." The Dems need to make promises that they can't necessarily keep as well, unfortunately. Their own version of "I'm going to bring jobs back to the Rust Belt (even though that's impossible and you're so dumb if you think I'm actually going to do that)."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Souai posted:

I would expect DTC to refer to Democratic Town Committees which are local dem groups mostly in Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Where was this in context?

That would be it! Thanks. I'm checking event schedules trying to find Democratic party meetings in various states that are open to the public.

Wow, hey, look, it's the bad guys!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

GlyphGryph posted:

Wow, hey, look, it's the bad guys!

They were. Now they're mostly nonexistent. If there's a silver lining to the cloud of last Tuesday, it's that the DLC's acolytes have pretty much been roundly discredited, clearing the way for better leadership in the Democratic Party.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Majorian posted:

Eh, I'd say that I agree more with Marx's later, more nuanced approach to market expansion and its relationship to international conflicts, as set forth in Capital, than his (considerably more-frequently cited) earlier approach in The Communist Manifesto. I do not consider myself a Marxist, but I broadly agree with Henryk Grossman's interpretation of Marx and the connection between mature capitalism, imperialism, and Great Power conflict.

All that said, though, the part of your post I was more taking issue with was, "No need to lie." The Dems need to make promises that they can't necessarily keep as well, unfortunately. Their own version of "I'm going to bring jobs back to the Rust Belt (even though that's impossible and you're so dumb if you think I'm actually going to do that)."

What many people want from a politician is someone fighting for them. If it's fighting for the impossible, that's only more admirable. If it's fighting for the possible that only fails to happen because of the opposition, even better - you can hammer them for "preventing jobs in the rust belt" or whatever. And in the end, this specific thing isn't impossible. Easy, no. Possible, yes. To the extent people want, probably not. To an extent that it improves the lives of lots of people, definitely.

Majorian posted:

They were. Now they're mostly nonexistent. If there's a silver lining to the cloud of last Tuesday, it's that the DLC's acolytes have pretty much been roundly discredited, clearing the way for better leadership in the Democratic Party.

Well, I mean, Hillary herself was one of their most notable and prominent leaders, so even though the organization itself went defunct a while ago the people involved only had their fall quite recently.

It's nice to get confirmation that they and Dean saw each other as the enemy though, makes more sense why Dean was driven out. (And they explicitly hated him because he wasn't down with promoting large-scale murder of foreigners, which Hillary obviously was)

GlyphGryph has issued a correction as of 07:11 on Nov 15, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

What many people want from a politician is someone fighting for them. If it's fighting for the impossible, that's only more admirable. If it's fighting for the possible that only fails to happen because of the opposition, even better - you can hammer them for "preventing jobs in the rust belt" or whatever. And in the end, this specific thing isn't impossible. Easy, no. Possible, yes. To the extent people want, probably not. To an extent that it improves the lives of lots of people, definitely.

Trump could get all the help he could possibly want from the Dems in bringing the old manufacturing jobs back to the Rust Belt, and it still wouldn't happen. He knew he didn't have a plan for that. He told those voters a lie that they desperately wanted to believe. His big mistake was in making that promise, without a plan for how to make it happen, or even appear to happen in the most shallow way possible.

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, I mean, Hillary herself was one of their most notable and prominent leaders, so even though the organization itself went defunct a while ago the people involved only had their fall quite recently.

Eh, but keep in mind, Hillary being a proponent of third-way centrism was less of a selling point for her this election, than the fact that she was running an historic campaign and was perceived as Obama's heir apparent. She was the last domino to fall. (if you don't count Donna Brazille, although she's a non-entity at this point)

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:17 on Nov 15, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Majorian posted:

Trump could get all the help he could possibly want from the Dems in bringing the old manufacturing jobs back to the Rust Belt, and it still wouldn't happen. He knew he didn't have a plan for that. He told those voters a lie that they desperately wanted to believe. His big mistake was in making that promise, without a plan for how to make it happen, or even appear to happen in the most shallow way possible.

I'm not saying Trump wasn't lying left and right, I'm saying bringing jobs back to the region isn't impossible. The political will may simply not be there, or we may not be willing to pay the price, but it's not like it would take some sort of magic. They probably wouldn't be the old jobs, either, but new jobs of some sort to inject cash and structure into abandoned communities would definitely be doable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not saying Trump wasn't lying left and right, I'm saying bringing jobs back to the region isn't impossible. The political will may simply not be there, or we may not be willing to pay the price, but it's not like it would take some sort of magic. They probably wouldn't be the old jobs, either, but new jobs of some sort to inject cash and structure into abandoned communities would definitely be doable.

Well, but that's my point: Trump promised them their old jobs, or something very similar to their old jobs. He promised that protectionist policies and bullying America's trade partners would bring the old manufacturing jobs back to the Rust Belt. He doesn't have a plan for making good on this promise, and he doesn't seem to have one for bringing new types of jobs back to the Rust Belt, either. Trump's strategy for bringing back the jobs, as expressed on the campaign trail, is basically as follows:

Step 1: Engage in trade war with China, Mexico, India, and other current U.S. trade partners.
Step 2: Get rid of all regulations possible.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

He doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 07:27 on Nov 15, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

bump_fn posted:

again, madigan is chair of the illinois democratic committee and so if you say you vote and donate to dems his office should listen

Is this all it really takes?

Majorian posted:

This. If it wasn't for the Supreme Court possibly being lost for 25 years (please Ginsberg keep trucking for four more years!) then I'd say that Trump's victory could very well be preferable.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Nov 15, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Majorian posted:

this. he lied out his rear end and instead of making a plan or at least the apperance of one, he just blamed foreigners/minorities/whoever and hoped that would be enough to cover for his bullshit and covered that with a ton of empty bullshit slogans.

Majorian posted:

Well, but that's my point: Trump promised them their old jobs, or something very similar to their old jobs. He promised that protectionist policies and bullying America's trade partners would bring the old manufacturing jobs back to the Rust Belt. He doesn't have a plan for making good on this promise, and he doesn't seem to have one for bringing new types of jobs back to the Rust Belt, either. Trump's strategy for bringing back the jobs, as expressed on the campaign trail, is basically as follows:

Step 1: Engage in trade war with China, Mexico, India, and other current U.S. trade partners.
Step 2: Get rid of all regulations possible.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

He doesn't have a clue what he's doing.

this. basicaly he would gently caress the world economy(or at best ours) to death if he actualy went through with any of this.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/MiyaTokumitsu/status/798266550776012800

https://redflag.org.au/node/5571

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Trump, when the Wall was built. :saddowns:

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this all it really takes?

This. If it wasn't for the Supreme Court possibly being lost for 25 years (please Ginsberg keep trucking for four more years!) then I'd say that Trump's victory could very well be preferable.

Exactly this.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

That is exactly what I expected. I'm so glad not everything is a surprise.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Mo_Steel posted:

Trump, when the Wall was built. :saddowns:

:vince:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

it's not like they're going to say "we're gonna filibuster y'all!" to the congress that can vote it out

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah this is hopefully just strategizing because Donald is really susceptible to falling under the influence of people he thinks are helping him

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

This is because the Democratic Party is either weak or non existent all over the loving place

The Republican congressman for my district has visited my tiny town of less than 5000 every single election without fail.

None of the democrats have ever come, even when invited.

loving count how many times any politician says anything of sympathy with "poor" in the sentence. Our goddamn discourse still can't say poor inrelation to suffering people. It is either "middle class" or you get idpol specificity.

Feels like the loving discourse needs a deplorable underclass to work.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
my unimportant thoughts at 3am after finally catching up on the thread:

- ideas espoused are overall v. cool and good
- establishment apparent acceptance of keith ellison as DNC is encouraging, let's keep up the pressure for this and every other progressive measure we can.
- agree with Peel that we've gotta keep away from sneering at 'identity politics'. trump ran on a more explicitly/implicitly racist platform than anyone since george wallace, and regardless of anything else, the margins of his victory were small enough that we can't say turning out racists didn't pay off handsomely for him.
- now he's recreating the patronage of the Harding administration, but instead of giving the plum positions to 'these guys i've known for 30 years, my friends and partners through thick and thin', trump's so thin on genuine friendship and social connections that he's doling out patronage to whoever endorsed him a year ago, and surprise, it turns out most of the people willing to support a mad longshot racism-based candidacy were the crazy fascists/grifters who were so far-right that they endorsed him because even mainstream republicanism was too liberal and PC for them. now they get to be in charge of the country!
- further to above, every PoC/LGBTQ person i know irl or on social media is worried for their family, their marriage, maybe even their lives, these aren't like idle concerns for them
- so yeah 'social justice and economic justice are irrevocably intertwined, dems are against big money and the elite and bigotry, we're the party of the worker, of tolerance and acceptance, let's work together for all americans' is a great message. 'let's put aside dumb identity politics and focus on the economic question' isn't, so please let's go with the former rather than the latter*

*not that I've seen too much of that in this thread outside of couple of people 50 pages back, but i see it coming up more and more in social media, and we're better than this. or we have to be for 2018, if nothing else.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Grognan posted:

loving count how many times any politician says anything of sympathy with "poor" in the sentence. Our goddamn discourse still can't say poor inrelation to suffering people. It is either "middle class" or you get idpol specificity.

Feels like the loving discourse needs a deplorable underclass to work.

because people don't identify with the word "poor". That's not a sign of failing to address a group of people, it's a reality of discourse that a person making 25k either believes or wants to believe that they're middle class

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:laffo:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

As a nuclear nonproliferation wonk, I'm also not terribly optimistic at how global arms control is going to play out under Trump's "leadership," either.:(

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingexecutive posted:

because people don't identify with the word "poor". That's not a sign of failing to address a group of people, it's a reality of discourse that a person making 25k either believes or wants to believe that they're middle class

flipside of this: rural whites making $100k a year believe they are "working class" and that voting for trump was an act of rebellion against a bunch of ambiguously defined urban elites (most of whom are poor blacks and baristas with student loan debt)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Majorian posted:

As a nuclear nonproliferation wonk, I'm also not terribly optimistic at how global arms control is going to play out under Trump's "leadership," either.:(

If we were smart....we would ensure that the launching of a nuclear attack was fatal to the one who ordered it. Mutually ensured destruction, so to speak.

wizard on a water slide posted:

flipside of this: rural whites making $100k a year believe they are "working class" and that voting for trump was an act of rebellion against a bunch of ambiguously defined urban elites (most of whom are poor blacks and baristas with student loan debt)

You are engaging in identity politics. Poor blacks can be baristas too.

...and, as a rule, black baristas are poor.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wizard on a water slide posted:

Sure thing dude

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

MrCussMustard posted:

If we were smart....we would ensure that the launching of a nuclear attack was fatal to the one who ordered it. Mutually ensured destruction, so to speak.

maybe smart people should stop assuming every country will be ruled by rational actors

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Atrocious Joe posted:

In order to move beyond Identity Politics we must all become part of a shared consciousness, where individual identity is abolished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-sYwiioeY

Truly we live in the most Xenogears timeline.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

In order to move beyond Identity Politics we must all become part of a shared consciousness, where individual identity is abolished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-sYwiioeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fr4aAu_Ryc

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

skull mask mcgee posted:

maybe smart people should stop assuming every country will be ruled by rational actors

Incredibly apropos.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
invisible war was the worst of the deus ex games but the helios ending is one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeoreJr4Yc

JC Denton/Helios is basically post-human socialism

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
This is my favorite IW ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=860fXWqbUhs

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

New thread title is exceptionally Hamilton.

And to sum up my opinions on IW:. " AAAH. AAAAAAAAHHH!! I'M COOKED!"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
OK after a week of interaction with some of the more serious Clinton folks I think it's safe to say that the Trump victory has fundamentally broken most of them and set them on Endless Primary Ragnarok Death March Mode.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Paradigm shifting without the clutch.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

I feel as if Dean wasn't bringing this up when DWS was doing the same thing.

Really makes you think

Dean was booted by Obama, Rahm, and his cohorts specifically for DWS. Maybe Dean just felt like it would have been as pointless as shouting at a wall to point that out. With the possibility for realignment now, makes more sense to discuss it.

IDK- outside of his superdelegate tweet I haven't actually heard anything from him in years, but then again I don't watch cable news.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I just saw this thing on Facebook. Some people want to make wearing a safety pin a thing to indicate solidarity with oppressed people. Apparently this is worse than being a Trump supporter?

I get that it's kind of low effort, but shouldn't we all try to be supportive instead of rabidly tearing each other down?

This is probably some kind of *-splaining. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
naw gently caress it bro political correctness is dead; you can do anything. be a libertarian.

• Locked thread