Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0HAwp3DQZc

First look at the big CW TV Crossover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe this Inhumans thing won't suck?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Y the Last Man is a go at FX?

https://creators.co/@Scodonnell1/4146553

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 15, 2016

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess we know why the Inhumans movie didn't happen. Marvel TV is doing a TV series next year instead (on ABC).

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26993/marvels_the_inhumans_coming_to_imax_abc_in_2017?linkId=31155906

But I am quite confused, because I could have sworn Marvel Studios just mentioned recently that the movie was still happening at a later, unannounced date.

Ok, in the interview I saw, Feige mentions that he thought it may be happening on TV, but that maybe in the future it could be a movie as well. Once again, the weird disconnect between Marvel TV and Studios makes itself pretty apparent. Did he really not know that the Inhumans were in development for a TV series earlier this month? This is the guy that runs the MCU basically. I dunno, it's weird to me.

was under impression it didn't happen because it was Perlmutter's weird baby no one else was super keen on. When he get booted off the movie side, it went with him. He's still the big boss on TV side (I believe) so I guess kept this dream alive. No idea why he wants Inhumans to happen so bad.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

No, you misread. IMAX is financially participating in the entire series.

To what end? They are technically participating if they pay for camera stuff, which won't really help that much if we end up with special effects and action scene budgets similar to normal primetime TV. This could actually be far above average if they do a limited series 8-10 episodes, but they are also aiming for a fall release, where they will be competing with baseball.

Vishass posted:

was under impression it didn't happen because it was Perlmutter's weird baby no one else was super keen on. When he get booted off the movie side, it went with him. He's still the big boss on TV side (I believe) so I guess kept this dream alive. No idea why he wants Inhumans to happen so bad.

He doesn't have X-men to play with. Also, I was kind of under that impression as well, which is why I found it weird for Feige to say it's still on the table for later if he knew they were doing a TV show instead.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

To what end? They are technically participating if they pay for camera stuff, which won't really help that much if we end up with special effects and action scene budgets similar to normal primetime TV. This could actually be far above average if they do a limited series 8-10 episodes, but they are also aiming for a fall release, where they will be competing with baseball.

Per the NYT article, IMAX has equity participation in the entire series.

And it's an eight-episode miniseries.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So it sounds like Inhumans is ABC trying out a premium series that you would normally expect on AMC or FX or something. That's cool.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

So it sounds like Inhumans is ABC trying out a premium series that you would normally expect on AMC or FX or something. That's cool.

I hope it is successful and that they find a way to give AOS a similar treatment (shorter, better funded season), but it might be a bit late for that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress that I want agent carter s3

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

gently caress that I want agent carter s3

Same. :smith:

In a perfect world. Instead of a full season of SHIELD, we'd get three 8 episode mini-series spread through out the year.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm confused, There's dome-OMNIMAX which I remember from museums in the 80-90s where a curved screen (and cameras/film to accomodate it right) made for really immersive panorama movies, but has pretty much died out now. Then there's theater-IMAX which is an extra-large flat screen that shows the same movies as normal screens but charges extra because it's bigger. Am I missing something else that's out there also called IMAX, or is the news just "the show's gonna be in theaters, then continue on TV"?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I'm confused, There's dome-OMNIMAX which I remember from museums in the 80-90s where a curved screen (and cameras/film to accomodate it right) made for really immersive panorama movies, but has pretty much died out now. Then there's theater-IMAX which is an extra-large flat screen that shows the same movies as normal screens but charges extra because it's bigger. Am I missing something else that's out there also called IMAX, or is the news just "the show's gonna be in theaters, then continue on TV"?

The current IMAX typically used for movies shoots a bigger image than typical 32mm film cameras. So the second one you posted is partially correct. I forget the measurement, I want to say 60mm. Granted, I am positive it's all digital now, so basically its just an 8K camera as opposed to 4k? The jump to digital kind of makes it pointless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AoS would be so much better if they cut it down to 13 episodes with higher budgets and cut a lot of the fat.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rhyno posted:

AoS would be so much better if they cut it down to 13 episodes with higher budgets and cut a lot of the fat.

Network TV generally needs those longer seasons to justify higher budgets unlike premium or streaming though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AngryBooch posted:

Network TV generally needs those longer seasons to justify higher budgets unlike premium or streaming though.

Oh I get that. But I feel like the concept would work better on a Netflix or FX schedule.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Karnak's been fun with ellis writing him, just make him this huge nihilistic dick in the show. I'd watch that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

It could only work if Disney figured an alternate way to monetize the shows. This IMAX thing is one I guess (but I am not really seeing how this ultimately makes much money for IMAX). The only other thing they can do is to try to find away to get money for streaming as well. Disney has big deals with both Hulu and Netflix, so the possibility is there, and since ABC is a broadcast network, they shouldn't be as beholden to any weird cable dealings with content like AOS. They can try to push hard with selling people one watching the show on streaming services by having them up there asap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Monaghan posted:

Karnak's been fun with ellis writing him, just make him this huge nihilistic dick in the show. I'd watch that.

Too bad it's running way behind schedule.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Barry Convex posted:

Per the NYT article, IMAX has equity participation in the entire series.

And it's an eight-episode miniseries.

I can see Marvel wanting an epic mini series. A super hero Game of Thrones sort of thing.

They just better not gently caress up Lockjaw.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

greatn posted:

The tv people seem to hate the movie people, they are always retweeting #itsnotallconnected

Like, ok, Mr Gregg, you don't get movie cameos anymore, but you are lead on a five season long show in syndication, that's not nothing. You're like an older much less hot David Boreanaz, that's a great place to be!

David Boreanaz is getting syndication money from 3 shows, the most recent has lasted twice as long as S.H.E.I.L.D.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Hey cool they kinda adapted the "Invasion" crossover and the dominators.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The thing that worries me most: the series is supposed to premiere less than a year from now. That's absurdly rushed by the standards of prestige television.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Theater IMAX isn't just a bigger screen, but the differences are barely noticeable on those smaller IMAX ones that are all over now. There are still a few of the gigantic IMAX screens around, but they're limited. If this Wikipedia list is up to date, there's only like 5 in the whole state of California.

But IMAX didn't have Hollywood-capable cameras until last year. Some movies shot some sequences with their giant film cameras, but it was basically always exterior stuff. I saw The Dark Knight on one of the huge IMAX screens, and you could definitely tell when that IMAX footage kicked in.

So I guess once Infinity War comes out we'll see if there really is a difference between shot entirely on IMAX, and just remastered on IMAX when it comes to those small screens.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

The thing that worries me most: the series is supposed to premiere less than a year from now. That's absurdly rushed by the standards of prestige television.

This is also a thing that has me kind of weirded out. They now have less than a year to make this thing that is supposedly going to have really high quality effects. That's a pretty tall order considering that isn't really how high quality things are made at all. It makes me think they are really overselling just about everything involved with this project.

Aphrodite posted:

Theater IMAX isn't just a bigger screen, but the differences are barely noticeable on those smaller IMAX ones that are all over now. There are still a few of the gigantic IMAX screens around, but they're limited. If this Wikipedia list is up to date, there's only like 5 in the whole state of California.

But IMAX didn't have Hollywood-capable cameras until last year. Some movies shot some sequences with their giant film cameras, but it was basically always exterior stuff. I saw The Dark Knight on one of the huge IMAX screens, and you could definitely tell when that IMAX footage kicked in.

So I guess once Infinity War comes out we'll see if there really is a difference between shot entirely on IMAX, and just remastered on IMAX when it comes to those small screens.

Also note that IMAX was a bigger deal when film was the standard and few people were seriously even looking at digital cameras outside of like, George Lucas and a few others. It was a film frame nearly double the size of normal. Now that digital 8k is a thing, I am not really seeing what makes IMAX special, outside of the theater itself having a bigger than normal screen. Any theater with a bigger than normal screen and an 8K projector is going to be pretty much giving you what most IMAX theaters could at this point, barring the giant ones maybe? Having never seen an 8K film attempted to be projected on a screen that big, I can't really say that there would be an issue or not. But seeing as many films were shot in 4k for years and now they are being shot at double the normal resolution, the novelty of IMAX is quickly wearing off. I think they might even be moving past 8k at this point for the giant digital cameras.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Didn't they make Ant-Man in about that timeframe?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mr Hootington posted:

Hey cool they kinda adapted the "Invasion" crossover and the dominators.

honestly stripping the dominators improves their design a lot

also makes them less weirdly vaguely racist

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

Didn't they make Ant-Man in about that timeframe?

To be fair, it was a film in development hell for years. Most films are shot and edited within a year, but also have a decent amount of development time. They also spent about 130 million dollars making Ant-Man. Game of Thrones, the most expensive show on TV, IIRC, is around 60 million for a season of 10 episodes, and even they have to have their "cheap" episodes. Also they are on a subscription based network.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, it was a film in development hell for years. Most films are shot and edited within a year, but also have a decent amount of development time. They also spent about 130 million dollars making Ant-Man. Game of Thrones, the most expensive show on TV, IIRC, is around 60 million for a season of 10 episodes, and even they have to have their "cheap" episodes. Also they are on a subscription based network.

Hasn't Inhumans also been in development hell for years? The budget of course is quite an issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Also note that IMAX was a bigger deal when film was the standard and few people were seriously even looking at digital cameras outside of like, George Lucas and a few others. It was a film frame nearly double the size of normal. Now that digital 8k is a thing, I am not really seeing what makes IMAX special, outside of the theater itself having a bigger than normal screen. Any theater with a bigger than normal screen and an 8K projector is going to be pretty much giving you what most IMAX theaters could at this point, barring the giant ones maybe? Having never seen an 8K film attempted to be projected on a screen that big, I can't really say that there would be an issue or not. But seeing as many films were shot in 4k for years and now they are being shot at double the normal resolution, the novelty of IMAX is quickly wearing off. I think they might even be moving past 8k at this point for the giant digital cameras.

IMAX digital cameras still film at that triple wide resolution so they do something unique, but I don't know what difference that ultimately makes. Tons of movies are on-board with them right now though, so whatever they're doing directors like it.

But if nothing else, their projection system that allows you to have the seating so much closer has to be worth something. You can make a more compact theater with IMAX. The room has to be taller, but vertical space is something we have plenty of.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

greatn posted:

Hasn't Inhumans also been in development hell for years? The budget of course is quite an issue.

Has Inhumans had any significant development like having screen writers, directors, or producers attached to it? When Marvel announced it a a year or two ago, I don't recall them ever following up on it. And even if they have, I'm sure those plans have been thrown off since there is still clearly a division between TV and film.

I'm really concerned about this project as well. Even the Netflix shows can look cheap in some cases, and are made to not have these big, world ending, high CGI/high end special effects. Luke Cage, in particular, looks really cheap in some episodes as does AOS. To do this in a year where virtually nothing about this show is set in stone would be monumental, unless they heavily rely on the world building Agents of SHIELD has done and even then that only takes care of some casting and not anybody behind the camera.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 15, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The main guy doesn't even have to talk, we can knock this out in a week.

I would imagine they have to start by the new year. GoT seems to do about 9 months lead time, but that's for 10 episodes and multiple productions across multiple continents.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

IMAX digital cameras still film at that triple wide resolution so they do something unique, but I don't know what difference that ultimately makes. Tons of movies are on-board with them right now though, so whatever they're doing directors like it.

But if nothing else, their projection system that allows you to have the seating so much closer has to be worth something. You can make a more compact theater with IMAX. The room has to be taller, but vertical space is something we have plenty of.

Looking up IMAX's recent cameras, it seem the big draw for the last few years has been their Digital 3D stereo 4k cameras. So there's the answer. IMAX 3D tickets are expensive. 3D tickets are expensive in general. They also have a new 2D digital camera, but that is basically a fancy Alexa, which has been pretty popular for years.

Another note. IMAX estimates that their classic 65mm film is roughly equivalent to a 12k digital image, and like I mentioned before, 8K will likely be the normal for digital within the next couple of years.

I'm assuming that Inhumans is shooting on their digital cameras, because their 65mm film was stupidly expensive even when film was the gold standard for Hollywood.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

I would imagine they have to start by the new year. GoT seems to do about 9 months lead time, but that's for 10 episodes and multiple productions across multiple continents.

I've never thought about it before because I'm not a fan of the books and don't watch the show, but GoT must be a logistical nightmare to make.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The IMAX 65mm cameras can also only hold 3 minutes' worth of film and take a long time to reload.

And apparently they're too loud to shoot dialogue so then you have to dub all that in.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Danny Devito as Karnak
Kristen Schaal as Medusa
Lou Ferrigno as Gorgon
Neil Patrick Harris as Lockjaw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So between people saying Tiny Superman is good and there being an impending crossover, is Supergirl worth watching? I watched two episodes of season 1 and found it pretty unremarkable, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

So between people saying Tiny Superman is good and there being an impending crossover, is Supergirl worth watching? I watched two episodes of season 1 and found it pretty unremarkable, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

This season it is one of the better CWverse shows.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TwoPair posted:

If the current season continues as it has been it will be one of my favorite seasons of any superhero show ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

David Boreanaz is getting syndication money from 3 shows, the most recent has lasted twice as long as S.H.E.I.L.D.

He's actually getting hosed on the Bones end and was suing Fox about not getting any money out of it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

At first I was going to applaud the fact that The Flash managed to make Savitar look so much better than the comic book version, but considering how awful the comic costume is, I guess that isn't much of an accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ToastyPotato posted:

This season it is one of the better CWverse shows.

Dammed by faint praise