Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any console scrubs using a xim? I haven't touched mine in a while and just wonder if I should even bother hooking it up and getting some couch lapdesk setup going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Is there a recommended Pilot class for newbies, or a some hints and tricks?

I started out using Grappling hook, but I find I don't use it as much as I should.

My best success has been popping Cloak whenever I need to cross an open space or start taking fire. Probably not the most effective use?

I see a lot of people using Stim, What's the secret to using it the most effectively?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Eldragon posted:

Is there a recommended Pilot class for newbies, or a some hints and tricks?

I started out using Grappling hook, but I find I don't use it as much as I should.

My best success has been popping Cloak whenever I need to cross an open space or start taking fire. Probably not the most effective use?

I see a lot of people using Stim, What's the secret to using it the most effectively?

A lot of people make the mistake of trying to play like it's Call of Duty, ie constantly aiming down the sights before firing etc. Don't do this. Pick one of the SMGs, the CAR is fine, and just shoot from the hip constantly.

I tend to pop Stim when I get into a head to head duel, as it makes hitting you pretty difficult as long as you're strafing around and moving constantly. It's also a handy "Oh poo poo, that Tone saw me" button for escaping those 40mm shots. Also, don't forget that Stim rapidly decreases the amount of time it takes for your health to start to regen, so if you got winged by some pilot, then popping stim to get out the way and get your health back before they round the corner can be helpful for recovering from surprise attacks.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Gunder posted:

A lot of people make the mistake of trying to play like it's Call of Duty, ie constantly aiming down the sights before firing etc. Don't do this. Pick one of the SMGs, the CAR is fine, and just shoot from the hip constantly.

I tend to pop Stim when I get into a head to head duel, as it makes hitting you pretty difficult as long as you're strafing around and moving constantly. It's also a handy "Oh poo poo, that Tone saw me" button for escaping those 40mm shots. Also, don't forget that Stim rapidly decreases the amount of time it takes for your health to start to regen, so if you got winged by some pilot, then popping stim to get out the way and get your health back before they round the corner can be helpful for recovering from surprise attacks.

I've been focusing on getting back into that Tribes mentality of being in the air as much as possible. This is where the grappling hook seems to help, since if you don't reach the end of your tether you can fire the grapple again and effectively spider-man around the map. However TTK is low enough where being in the air doesn't seem to help much, I'm more effective using cover and doing shoot and scoot tactics.

Aiming down the sight is a really hard habit to break, but yeah you dont need to in this game. which is a real shame.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mailer posted:

Pulling batteries, powering up buddies, and actually shooting at titans gets me my titan all day long. If literally anyone else on xbone figures this secret strategy out then my edge is going to be gone.

The act of killing them is a time-consuming annoyance in an otherwise very fast game.

i've noticed people trying to hold batteries for their titan. Which is dumb b/c it's a giant target on your back and more often than not that battery ends up on the other team or just sitting on the ground most of the match.

I'm with you, I love going from enemy to friend and powering them up. I know it pisses off the enemy b/c i've had people break off from a 1v1 titan fight to try and stomp me for rodeoing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Low Profile is the best perk in the whole game because lowkey rodeoing people owns really hard

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Low Profile is the best perk in the whole game because lowkey rodeoing people owns really hard

It almost feels a little broken. Titans don't seem to get the notification till about the last second or two of the rodeo animation (judging by smoke pops I've seen), and at that point even ducking into the smoke won't kill the pilot before they make a clean break.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Conot posted:

It almost feels a little broken. Titans don't seem to get the notification till about the last second or two of the rodeo animation (judging by smoke pops I've seen), and at that point even ducking into the smoke won't kill the pilot before they make a clean break.

idk if you're keeping your eyes open it's often very possible to spot a pilot and take care of it (smashmashmash). Across open ground, I *think* Titans can move faster than a pilot. So I usually turn and sprint backwards, then turn and try to pick them off.

I know a lot of people want their titans to be stronger but I actually really think the balance is right. As a Titan I try to support pilots and vice versa. It would be a worse game if the Titan experience was just overall superior to being on foot.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

It also removes the bright jet exhausts trailing you even while you are just running around on the ground: a pilot without that kit using one of the more "normal"-looking tacticals sprinting alongside a group of grunts really stands out from a distance, but with it they can blend in enough to give them the drop on you.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

idk if you're keeping your eyes open it's often very possible to spot a pilot and take care of it (smashmashmash). Across open ground, I *think* Titans can move faster than a pilot. So I usually turn and sprint backwards, then turn and try to pick them off.

I know a lot of people want their titans to be stronger but I actually really think the balance is right. As a Titan I try to support pilots and vice versa. It would be a worse game if the Titan experience was just overall superior to being on foot.

I'd rather titans have a bit more hitpoints a bit harder to earn, but overall I think the balance is good. I agree having both roles being rewarding is important. As it stands I love stealing batteries but half the time the enemy titan dies so fast I'm not sure why I bother.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Eldragon posted:

I'd rather titans have a bit more hitpoints a bit harder to earn, but overall I think the balance is good. I agree having both roles being rewarding is important. As it stands I love stealing batteries but half the time the enemy titan dies so fast I'm not sure why I bother.

what I would enjoy is more ways to keep some Titans alive longer through tactics and skill. I can do a pretty good job with that as Legion and Tone but Scorch and especially Ronin it often feels like "every mission is a suicide mission".

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Eldragon posted:

Yeah, I would never steal batteries w/o Low Profile because the TTK on Titans is reasonably low and people will generally only get rodeo'd once per Titan, so your chances of getting countermeasured while taking a battery are >90% in my experience. It would be nice if the rodeo damage wasn't a zero-sum game - I think I'd like it if you had a choice between putting a grenade down a hatch quickly or going for a longer battery-removal animation.

I do think the 'meta' of Titanfall 2 as it stands is weighted towards casual play and creating Cool Moments and I'm kinda okay with that, I have a ton of fun in every match

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
Titans having much more HP would make pilots a lot less fun, as it stands if you're quick and use your anti-titan weapon well you can stand a decent chance as long as you aren't directly engaging them. Higher titan HP/regen would also make coming back from the enemy team getting titans first much harder, making the already somewhat present steamrolling problem even more acute.

Somehow toning down Tone would probably extend the lifespan of all titans more than an HP buff.

eSportseXpert fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 15, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

what I would enjoy is more ways to keep some Titans alive longer through tactics and skill. I can do a pretty good job with that as Legion and Tone but Scorch and especially Ronin it often feels like "every mission is a suicide mission".

Someone said it in here a while ago but you really need to play a hit and run style with Scorch. You've got all those area denial tools and in the right terrain you can really get a ton of mileage out of them. He is kinda useless on really open maps like Homestead though. Maps that force you into tunnels like Crash Site and that office one can go either way - sometimes you can really do work with the gas canisters because Titans clump up and can't escape easily, but it's also a lot harder to play peek-a-boo.

But on maps like Forward Base Kodai or Exoplanet that have lots of paths between buildings, you can force people to keep running through fire to get at you and do a lot of work with just one Titan. But yeah, even then, sometimes Tone or Legion will be able to take shots at the tiny bit of your Titan that's peeking out from behind a building or whatever and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

fadam posted:

This game is too good to be this dead on PC :(

People keep saying this but I seem to have no trouble finding games?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tres Burritos posted:

People keep saying this but I seem to have no trouble finding games?

If nothing else, I'm considered going to Walmart for a PS4 copy (30 bucks atm) because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck running into the same obvious hackers who stand at the highest point of every level with a Devotion shooting perfect headshots with homing bullets. Literally watching kill cams of them pointing straight up into the sky and shooting at random to wipe whole teams of players and NPCs. I ran into an entire team doing this the other day and haven't fired up my PC copy since then, and in the days prior to that there was at least one or two obvious aimbotters doing the same, with their own teammates shouting at them to leave because they were ruining the game.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

PS4 crew is going hard. We had some great games last night.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah, I would never steal batteries w/o Low Profile because the TTK on Titans is reasonably low and people will generally only get rodeo'd once per Titan, so your chances of getting countermeasured while taking a battery are >90% in my experience. It would be nice if the rodeo damage wasn't a zero-sum game - I think I'd like it if you had a choice between putting a grenade down a hatch quickly or going for a longer battery-removal animation.

Isn't this what satchel charges are for? You just throw them on the Titan instead of "Press E for Rodeo".

At my current leveling rate, I'll unlock them sometime in 2018, so I'll have to defer to someone who's leveled up enough to actually try them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

^burtle posted:

PS4 crew is going hard. We had some great games last night.

Indeed! A reminder to look for the TitanFall 2 Goons community and join it!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Another reason to use ordnance expert with this dumb gravstar+EPG setup: https://gfycat.com/BetterLiquidDuiker
(Whyyy do these get knocked down to 30fps)

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Love the dude in chat complaining about being matched against people at higher level than him, as if time played equates to skill. This is like overwatch people seeing stars and thinking they'll get owned.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Well, I pretty much do get owned by people higher level then me. Better map knowledge, more time to refine their skills, and potentially better weapons if I'm screwing around with the G2 or w/e

On the other hand I don't know if I want to wait 15 minutes for ~the perfect match~

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FiestaNinja posted:

Titans having much more HP would make pilots a lot less fun, as it stands if you're quick and use your anti-titan weapon well you can stand a decent chance as long as you aren't directly engaging them. Higher titan HP/regen would also make coming back from the enemy team getting titans first much harder, making the already somewhat present steamrolling problem even more acute.

Somehow toning down Tone would probably extend the lifespan of all titans more than an HP buff.

The problem is that currently Titans have such low health it's almost impossible to use them in any amount of effectiveness, as the moment anyone sees you you're going to lose at least half your health cause Titans are sluggish piles of cardboard compared to the first game(not to mention the weapons are on average worse than their TF1 equivalents)

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

The problem is that currently Titans have such low health it's almost impossible to use them in any amount of effectiveness, as the moment anyone sees you you're going to lose at least half your health cause Titans are sluggish piles of cardboard compared to the first game(not to mention the weapons are on average worse than their TF1 equivalents)

Perhaps it's because I've used only Tone for about 99.5% of my game time (G6.5 last I checked), but the new health seems fine. I'll regularly do a ton of damage before they whittle me down.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I G2'd Volt and Devotion and just unlocked the uhh, G2 rifle, so I thought I'd give it a shot. This thing is a beast. First match with it I think I got my longest kill streak ever, I only died once. poo poo's good.

In terms of titan balance I think that if Ronin gets some more survivability and Tone gets a little nerfed then things would be just about perfect.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FiestaNinja posted:

I dunno, Titans feel too drat filmsy in this and I feel like Anti-Titan weapons are a little too good, the Mag Launcher will shred your poo poo quick. The Titans don't feel like the giant machines of death like in the first one where you could safely run around crushing mooks, punching pilots and having Godzilla-like showdowns with enemy Titans. Now I see all of the Titans grouping up and playing cautiously while taking pot-shots from each other from across the map.

I'm not big on the amount of damage pilots can do to a Titan with their AT weapons (especially against Northstar and Ronin), that should be reserved for stealing batteries and lobbing grenades into the brain.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BabelFish posted:

Perhaps it's because I've used only Tone for about 99.5% of my game time (G6.5 last I checked), but the new health seems fine. I'll regularly do a ton of damage before they whittle me down.

It's because you're using Tone, I've had matches where I've gone from the bottom of the leaderboard to the top once I got my Tone and started easily destroying everything. Tone's too good.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

s.i.r.e. posted:

I dunno, Titans feel too drat filmsy in this and I feel like Anti-Titan weapons are a little too good, the Mag Launcher will shred your poo poo quick. The Titans don't feel like the giant machines of death like in the first one where you could safely run around crushing mooks, punching pilots and having Godzilla-like showdowns with enemy Titans. Now I see all of the Titans grouping up and playing cautiously while taking pot-shots from each other from across the map.

I'm not big on the amount of damage pilots can do to a Titan with their AT weapons (especially against Northstar and Ronin), that should be reserved for stealing batteries and lobbing grenades into the brain.

I agree. Especially since most Titans don't have an effective way of shooting pilots on the high ground. Things like an amped make America great launcher just shred.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fuligin posted:

In terms of titan balance I think that if Ronin gets some more survivability and Tone gets a little nerfed then things would be just about perfect.

That's how I feel, too. And Northstar's Core ability getting fixed.

IMO Titans are not supposed to completely obsolete pilots, they have a different (more robust) tactical role.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What the gently caress is Scorch supposed to do against someone on a roof spamming nades?

I've had my Northstar go from full HP to doomed within seconds of getting out of my dome shield because she has gently caress-all to defend herself (Only Titan without a proper shield of some sort I think)with once she's out of it and 2 dude with AT weapons make quick work of the little HP she gets. Northstar should get a shield when you're flying at the least, considering you just turn into a giant loving target for everyone once you take to the skies, the same problem Pharah has in Overwatch when using her Ult you're just too easy to loving hit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

s.i.r.e. posted:

Northstar should get a shield when you're flying at the least, considering you just turn into a giant loving target for everyone once you take to the skies, the same problem Pharah has in Overwatch when using her Ult you're just too easy to loving hit.

I agree.

Also, Scorch needs to use his fire shield and get out of there. Or, blow up. Sometimes it's just not your day. Going against two pilots with position in the worst anti-pilot Titan in the game is gonna be tough. Not gonna deny that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

What the gently caress is Scorch supposed to do against someone on a roof spamming nades?

I've had my Northstar go from full HP to doomed within seconds of getting out of my dome shield because she has gently caress-all to defend herself (Only Titan without a proper shield of some sort I think)with once she's out of it and 2 dude with AT weapons make quick work of the little HP she gets. Northstar should get a shield when you're flying at the least, considering you just turn into a giant loving target for everyone once you take to the skies, the same problem Pharah has in Overwatch when using her Ult you're just too easy to loving hit.

Boost away? If you can't one shot someone just back off

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Flame shield and boost out until you have the angle to drop a gas can on the roof. Otherwise yeah, just get out of there. A lot of people get tunnel vision and will try to chase you if you retreat, which often gives you an opening to get them with a punch/flame shield/fire wall.

Also Scorch may be kinda weak against pilots but lighting a building on fire through the window and roasting the pilots inside never gets old.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I have developed a real big soft spot for the Double Take. It's such a dumb loving gun. Getting headshots by guesstimating where flying idiots will be from halfway across the map is loving fantastic :allears:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

lol

You're Just Bad

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Got the game last night ( yay 30 bucks ) what is the fastest way to level? Also should I save and buy one of those sweet rear end guns for 100 what ever the currency is?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Winkie01 posted:

Got the game last night ( yay 30 bucks ) what is the fastest way to level? Also should I save and buy one of those sweet rear end guns for 100 what ever the currency is?

Spend your funbux on Tone, the titan. It's OP.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Winkie01 posted:

30 buckaroos? Where at?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Between FPS dips/stutter and Microcenter discounting the new chips I was convincing myself to make the 2500k -> 6600k jump, but after some googling folks are saying TF2 is easy breezy on CPUs..?? My 2500k @ 4.3 sits at like 100% usage the whole time I play. Y'all know if that's ordinary? I've even turned a good bit of the video settings down that say they affect CPU usage to try and smooth it out.
(GTX1080, 8GB RAM, 1440p100, poo poo gets real stuttery sometimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Bob NewSCART posted:

30 buckaroos? Where at?

Console versions are currently on Amazon for $30

https://www.amazon.com/Titanfall-2-Xbox-One/dp/B01GKGVIB2

https://www.amazon.com/Titanfall-2-Xbox-One/dp/B01GKGVI8U

I believe this is how much it's going for at major retailers as well.