Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

achillesforever6 posted:

It seems like there is a problem in how generational the coal miner industry is where your great grandfather was a coal miner, your dad was coal miner, and goddamn it you will die a coal miner.

There's a way to arrange that if one is a coal miner, they don't have to vote for assholes if they want to die mining coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

FizFashizzle posted:

Bannon's appointment makes a lot of people, especially republicans, uneasy. Yeah sure maybe the dude has never gotten caught on tape using the n word, but he literally believes like protocols of the elders of zion conspiracy theories.

Bolton horrifies people.

Rudy is completely incompetent.

Reince is whatever. He's an alcoholic and seems agreeable enough.

The best (worst) part of this trump administration are going to be the horrific scandals that starts pouring out of the white house.

With the exception of Bannon, I don't see how a Trump administration is shaping up to be any different than an incompetent Rubio administration. They are largely going to pursue the same policies, but Rubio/Jeb/Kasich would be far more effective at getting things done as they know how Washington works and would have all of the shrewdest Republican operatives doing their bidding.

Emboldening racists may be the one difference in Trump winning compared to one of the GOP establishment, but in the long run I feel that is going to be a positive. Instead of having all of this bubbling beneath the surface, and people hand waving away bleeding heart liberals for crying wolf on every little thing, people on the right are going to have to, at the very least, acknowledge the issue. I honestly don't think Bannon is going to last until 2020, and Reince is largely going to cancel him out. If we look at how Trump ran his campaign once Bannon and Conway came on, it's clear he was listening to Conway and Reince far more than Bannon. Bannon may be a proud white supremacist, but his role in the Trump WH will largely be trying to keep Trump from becoming too much of an establishment puppet. His goal, assuming Trump lost, was to return to Breitbart and destroy Paul Ryan.

The most likely outcome of a Trump presidency is him just serving as a brash, blustering stand-in for Ryan, who rubber stamps everything that comes his way. Trump has few, if any, ideological commitments, so I don't think there would be nearly as much in-fighting as people are expecting. Bannon may change that.

Even if Hillary won, we would have likely got a GOP establishment presidency in 2020, so it's not all bad having it be carried out by the worst character imaginable.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kilroy posted:

In my recent experience the more weird or disgusting poo poo your opponents can dig up about you, the more likely you are to win. I suggest taking another look at ADTRW, if you ask me.

Only if that poo poo is about suppressing sedition and protest, extramarital sex, chain business failure and violations of the Fair Housing Act.

Normal poo poo would probably sink you :cry:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/798519600413601792

He's such a child

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/798521053551140864

be honest Donald, it's because you won.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Harton posted:

I tried to unplug from the news and I lasted 3 days. This is certainly going to be an interesting year. I feel like I trust Obama enough to go with him on this trump amnesty, this guy is just class all the way to the end. Maybe I'm just an optimist, but he said some pragmatic things today that I can't disagree with. Actually being president may actually be enough to humble even loving Trump. That could lead to some gains in 2018 and this whole thing might be a wake up call on why your vote matters. I seriously wonder how many people in those crows of protesters actually went out and voted. I bet you'd find more than you would think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Meh, they were in Portland, they didn't need to.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

greatn posted:

Meh, they were in Portland, they didn't need to.

Yeah - this angle is a non-story unless the protestors were from MI/WI/PA.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TyrantWD posted:

Yeah - this angle is a non-story unless the protestors were from MI/WI/PA.

I guess

I think it's pretty dumb to be protesting if you didn't even cast a vote lol. We should be mocking these people:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Local issues matter, and those people are idiots.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone protesting now that could have vote but didn't is an idiot. It doesn't matter if you are in a "safe" state since apparently that isn't a thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
May have been underage or felons.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm hoping the people gathering these statistics aren't so bad that they are weighing this with people that literally can't vote but yeah at this point who knows considering the quality of reporting lately.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

achillesforever6 posted:

It seems like there is a problem in how generational the coal miner industry is where your great grandfather was a coal miner, your dad was coal miner, and goddamn it you will die a coal miner.

That's because as a practical matter it is really really difficult to do something your family and family friends hasn't done in the past. Not only will you not know where to start but you also won't have a support network in place that can help you navigate the process. The internet is a very poor substitute.

You see it a lot in first-generation college students. They haven't grown up hearing stories about how their parent did X in college and somehow still managed to graduate (implied lesson - don't do X) or that the neighbor's kid is off to visit campuses or build up on extracurricular activities before applying. Even basic stuff like "you have to buy the textbooks" can come as an unpleasant surprise.

Kobayashi posted:

The GOP is going after the free press next, specifically the NY Times and elite dailies. They're really the only viable foil to the Republicans right now. I would have said Warren, Pelosi, or Harris as outspoken, qualified women, but they're already effectively neutralized, so yeah... welcome to fascism.

Sadly I think you are right on this one. The only thing that the GOP and right wing media has demonized to the same extent as the Clintons is the media. I know that the GOPe is worried about how their attacks on the press enabled Trump but they are now riding the tiger and they value their skin too much to try and get off. They have successfully made their base automatically reject anything they don't agree with and it has been insanely effective. Just look at the response on conservative Twitter or Reddit about Google and Facebook (reluctantly) cracking down on fake news sites by banning them from their advertising networks. They are flipping the gently caress out about it saying that it is censorship and it being a giant conspiracy.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

achillesforever6 posted:

Everyone who felt that was pointless packed their bags and left town, leaving a hard core of the extremely stubborn. Or those who feel that they are in their soul a coal miner despite being on paper a social worker.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know, I never really thought about it but "Make America Great Again" is indeed filled with racism, xenophobia and hate.As a white person who indeed does sometimes wax nostalgic (on account of reading history and trying to imagine myself in these fascinating times) about history, I have seen other white people do exactly the same. I just saw this absolutely amazingly awful video from this garbage thing called Rebel Media that wanted to roll back the clock to the 1970s because that's when Cultural Marxists took over.

Anyway, angry white people want things to go back the way they were but I don't think I've seen any black people doing this.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are there any ongoing discussions anywhere about how to curb the recruitment effort of white supremacists on social media? I'm on reddit a lot (I know I know) and have been for a long time and it's pretty scary how right wing and racist it's becoming. I think a lot of young millennial men and boys who are looking at their futures and not seeing great prospects are getting romanced by this "anti-PC" "race realist" worldview. It seems like a lot of them have drawn a straight line from "it's about ethics in games journalism" to "nobody cares about white men" to "Trump 2016" and that's terrifying. It was fun when we could just call them deplorables but it would be better if they never got radicalized in the first place.

Mr_M
Dec 10, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fits the behavior profile doesn't it?

That said, if there is one positive thing to come of this election, it's the blatant realization of some of the things wrong with our society that we've been overlooking for decades. Now that it's raw, and out in the open, hopefully we can become productive and turn our energies towards rectifying the underlying issues. Racists and protesters aren't made over night (except vis a vis George Soros), the perspectives espoused by radicals on both sides have gone happily under the radar well through Obama's 8 years, and never truly gone away since our country's founding.

If there was pause for concern, in my mind, it's our increasing fringe population, the media's ability to raise emotions/actively incite polarized perspectives, and the erosion of empathy. I used to joke (albeit seriously) that politics was a game, but I was hoping that with modernity we'd start to shy away from rabid sports fanaticism. :psyduck:

(To clarify, that's aimed at both sides)

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr_M posted:

Uhhhhh

This guy is a racist.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

prom candy posted:

Are there any ongoing discussions anywhere about how to curb the recruitment effort of white supremacists on social media? I'm on reddit a lot (I know I know) and have been for a long time and it's pretty scary how right wing and racist it's becoming. I think a lot of young millennial men and boys who are looking at their futures and not seeing great prospects are getting romanced by this "anti-PC" "race realist" worldview. It seems like a lot of them have drawn a straight line from "it's about ethics in games journalism" to "nobody cares about white men" to "Trump 2016" and that's terrifying. It was fun when we could just call them deplorables but it would be better if they never got radicalized in the first place.

You could, y'know, post an opposing viewpoint.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I don't know how to cope with four years of him saying things which are factually wrong. He just ran a campaign where he doesn't have to go to places like California and Mississippi. I feel like this presidency is going to be like watching bitcoin where all mistakes are remade and it turns out a lot of things are the way they are for reasons.

Is he going to have his tweeting removed because of having to go to a 1990s flip phone with a faraday cage mandated by the NSA?

Also I just learned Gwen Ifill died :(

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Mr_M posted:

That said, if there is one positive thing to come of this election, it's the blatant realization of some of the things wrong with our society that we've been overlooking for decades. Now that it's raw, and out in the open, hopefully we can become productive and turn our energies towards rectifying the underlying issues. Racists and protesters aren't made over night (except vis a vis George Soros), the perspectives espoused by radicals on both sides have gone happily under the radar well through Obama's 8 years, and never truly gone away since our country's founding.

If there was pause for concern, in my mind, it's our increasing fringe population, the media's ability to raise emotions/actively incite polarized perspectives, and the erosion of empathy. I used to joke (albeit seriously) that politics was a game, but I was hoping that with modernity we'd start to shy away from rabid sports fanaticism. :psyduck:

(To clarify, that's aimed at both sides)

lmao George Soros conspiracy theories, "yeah guys I'm talking about both sides"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

You could, y'know, post an opposing viewpoint.

I've tried. You get downvoted to hell. Reddit's system means that 100 white supremacists on a political board can vote any liberal opinion down to the negatives in no time (and thus invisible.) This system was intended to hide stupid and off-topic posts, but it is being used by literal Nazis to normalize their views. Go to /r/politics and post something crazy left wing like "Not all Muslims are terrorists" and see how many seconds it takes to vanish.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/natehodson/status/798529360181530624

Paul Ryan had better be wearing a loving hat this afternoon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

I've tried. You get downvoted to hell. Reddit's system means that 100 white supremacists on a political board can vote any liberal opinion down to the negatives in no time (and thus invisible.) This system was intended to hide stupid and off-topic posts, but it is being used by literal Nazis to normalize their views. Go to /r/politics and post something crazy left wing like "Not all Muslims are terrorists" and see how many seconds it takes to vanish.

There is a reason we share the "Never go on Reddit" video.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Another former Christie ally is off the transition team (former House Rep Mike Rogers).

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Do you even have to ask?

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/266038556504494082

e: not that he ever deletes a tweet, but:

quote:

The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy. @realDonaldTrump 8:45 PM - 6 Nov 2012

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yea Reddit sucks. That's why you don't post there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Another former Christie ally is off the transition team (former House Rep Mike Rogers).

Him and Corker were pretty much the only relatively sane people I've heard mentioned as potential parts of Trump's FP team. So that's nice.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Yea Reddit sucks. That's why you don't post there.

Unfortunately a lot of nice normal people go there, because it has great special interest groups. If you are into things like parenting, gardening, roguelikes, you will find great discussion there. But then you wander onto the politics boards and OMG. They are radicalizing young men there. Compare to the Islamic terrorist groups that recruit lonely young men and by degrees get them to do insane things. They tell them that Muslims and foreigners and women and gays are responsible for all their woes.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Everyone who felt that was pointless packed their bags and left town, leaving a hard core of the extremely stubborn. Or those who feel that they are in their soul a coal miner despite being on paper a social worker.

This is a big factor that people ignore. The places that are in trouble now have been in trouble for decades on decades. Sometimes a whole century, for certain farming areas that started to have farmlands consolidated to large owners earlier than others.

Anyone with the means to leave has left at some point by now. And many of those who left were ones who worked other things besides the one big thing that ended up left, whether that was a mine or mill or factory. So those who left also would have had perspective that it was never just that thing that kept the place going, it was the other things from chain stores to the local doctor they used to have.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Muppets On PCP posted:

learn to grow weed

it's already the largest cash crop in kentucky and west virginia

This would solve sooooo many problems in West Virginia.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Unfortunately a lot of nice normal people go there, because it has great special interest groups. If you are into things like parenting, gardening, roguelikes, you will find great discussion there. But then you wander onto the politics boards and OMG. They are radicalizing young men there. Compare to the Islamic terrorist groups that recruit lonely young men and by degrees get them to do insane things. They tell them that Muslims and foreigners and women and gays are responsible for all their woes.

Agreed and besides, those people on Reddit are hardly an isolated community. You find the exact same shitheads on YouTube making videos "owning" BLM and stuff like that.

So just ignore Reddit doesn't solve the problem of how a new generation of racists is flourishing thanks to social media.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So are the dems contesting the LA Runoff at all?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Much like the whole :qq: "they said we're racists" :qq: spiel, there's a certain level of ignorant okayness that goes with knowing Reddit's infested with, well, Redditors, but choosing to hang out there anyway. Sure you aren't exactly calling for a return to lynchings just by browsing the gardening section but it's kind of like trying to say there isn't a problem with child abuse in the catholic church.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maybe try being funny and interesting instead of posting something preachy like "Not all Muslims are terrorists" on /r/politics, which would provoke an eyeroll from even your sympathizers

Reddit is full of some of the dumbest loving people in the world but they're largely not Nazis, they're there to be entertained and get the general equivalent of grandma's email forwards. It's really not hard to outwit them or play to the audience.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Yea it's terrible when you tell certain groups of people that other groups of people are responsible for all their problems, and absolve them of all responsibility for their own life. Really terrible.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Have you ever actually been. The reddit politics board is 100% pro-Hillary and the entire front page is "gently caress Donald Trump" and it has been since she got the nomination. It's probably more left leaning and less racist than most of the boards on the SomethingAwful forum that you like to post in. I'm not saying that you're racist necessarily just that you support racists and bigots by posting here and giving Lowtax money.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr_M
Dec 10, 2008

Polygynous posted:

Do you even have to ask?

Honestly, I didn't really think too much about it until this election. I was part of the "popular vote makes sense!" crowd. Then for whatever foolish reason I started questioning why the heck we'd keep the college if it was so obviously stupid.

And the only logical reason I could come up with was "as a check against mob rule". That, and it fits well with the founding father's goal of creating a democratic republic with a metric ton of checks and balances aimed at preventing democratic self implosion.

My guess is that Trump- whom I've found an uncanny empathy for in the way his brain seems to work- was likely in the same boat. To his credit, on 60 minutes, he still held true that he preferred the popular vote ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

fat greasy puto posted:

Yea it's terrible when you tell certain groups of people that other groups of people are responsible for all their problems, and absolve them of all responsibility for their own life. Really terrible.

I agree, libertarians really are the shittiest political group in this country.

• Locked thread