Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Carmant posted:

Have you ever actually been. The reddit politics board is 100% pro-Hillary and the entire front page is "gently caress Donald Trump" and it has been since she got the nomination. It's probably more left leaning and less racist than most of the boards on the SomethingAwful forum that you like to post in. I'm not saying that you're racist necessarily just that you support racists and bigots by posting here and giving Lowtax money.

Yeah, it's really just The_Donald that's pro-Trump. Everyone else there hates him and there is even a board dedicated to making sure pro-Trump material never makes it to the front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't think anyone noticed this, but there is still no declared winner in the NC Governor's race and probably won't be until the end of the month.

Conway has about a 5,000 vote lead over Mayor McCheese but there is almost certainly going to be a recount

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr_M posted:

And the only logical reason I could come up with was "as a check against mob rule". That, and it fits well with the founding father's goal of creating a democratic republic with a metric ton of checks and balances aimed at preventing democratic self implosion.

Specifically, the founding fathers wanted to make sure the wrong person didn't get in.

Senate and Presidency were for the well heeled, intellectual, better parts of the country.

everything else was for the House.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So what's it going to take before the courts are viewed as a legitimate thing again? After Trump packs them with the dozens of vacancies left by GOP obstruction, not to mention the Supreme Court, no one to the left of Mitch loving McConnell is going to think those judges and that Justice are there according to the rules of governance laid out in the Constitution. They will be there, of course, but if a future Democratic Congress (lol) fucks with the courts to a degree that would make FDR blush, much of the left will probably be fine with it and no one's going to listen to the right since they did the same loving thing.

Since this election looked like a sure thing for Democrats, I wasn't too concerned about it before. The damage had already been done, sure, but a Democratic President and Senate could mostly restore decorum there and reestablish the actual precedent of actually, you know, taking care of the courts. That's out the window now and going forward I think we're in really uncharted territory on how the other two branches treat the courts. Neither side is going to like it (when they're not in power) and it's going to lead to a ton of really bad dysfunctional jurisprudence.

There's been too much else to think about this past week so this is just sorta hitting me now. Not just this goddamn election or year but this goddamn decade, just :psyboom: It's just a fractal of pure poo poo and there is always more and it is always worse.

Like seriously our court system has no legitimacy. It is a partisan institution now. gently caress me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kilroy posted:

So what's it going to take before the courts are viewed as a legitimate thing again? After Trump packs them with the dozens of vacancies left by GOP obstruction, not to mention the Supreme Court, no one to the left of Mitch loving McConnell is going to think those judges and that Justice are there according to the rules of governance laid out in the Constitution. They will be there, of course, but if a future Democratic Congress (lol) fucks with the courts to a degree that would make FDR blush, much of the left will probably be fine with it and no one's going to listen to the right since they did the same loving thing.

Since this election looked like a sure thing for Democrats, I wasn't too concerned about it before. The damage had already been done, sure, but a Democratic President and Senate could mostly restore decorum there and reestablish the actual precedent of actually, you know, taking care of the courts. That's out the window now and going forward I think we're in really uncharted territory on how the other two branches treat the courts. Neither side is going to like it (when they're not in power) and it's going to lead to a ton of really bad dysfunctional jurisprudence.

There's been too much else to think about this past week so this is just sorta hitting me now. Not just this goddamn election or year but this goddamn decade, just :psyboom: It's just a fractal of pure poo poo and there is always more and it is always worse.

Like seriously our court system has no legitimacy. It is a partisan institution now. gently caress me.

This is why Obama HAS to recess appoint Garland.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Carmant posted:

Have you ever actually been. The reddit politics board is 100% pro-Hillary and the entire front page is "gently caress Donald Trump" and it has been since she got the nomination. It's probably more left leaning and less racist than most of the boards on the SomethingAwful forum that you like to post in.

I left with my ears on fire from the flames about 6 months ago. I kept posting things about Muslims and feminists being OK, you see. Perhaps it has changed. I'm not going back.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NC gubernatorial news corner time! Mayor McCheese is asking for the Durham County votes to be thrown out because recounting them by hand is 100% unreliable and unverifiable.

Versus asking the state legislative branch to decide the winner.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's really just The_Donald that's pro-Trump. Everyone else there hates him and there is even a board dedicated to making sure pro-Trump material never makes it to the front page.

That doesn't work however because said pro-Trump group blatantly abuses the reddit algorithm. They also created similar groups that are only "tangentially" related like Hillaryforprison, Sorosforprison, DNCLeaks, etc.

Even when the admins have adjusted the way that reddit populates it's front page to try and curb the massive flood of T_D posts on the front page it'll only last a few hours before the vote bots are tweaked enough to get them back on.

That's what your really running into. It's a coordinated effort that doesn't care about breaking systems to give the illusion of popular engagement.

Reminds me of a Vonnegut quote, which I've been reading a lot of lately:

"There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only Angels will get organized along the lines of the Mafia."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/politico/status/798198333051375616

Can you imagine the chaos if the public saw how internal communications among politicians really went?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Carmant posted:

Have you ever actually been. The reddit politics board is 100% pro-Hillary and the entire front page is "gently caress Donald Trump" and it has been since she got the nomination. It's probably more left leaning and less racist than most of the boards on the SomethingAwful forum that you like to post in. I'm not saying that you're racist necessarily just that you support racists and bigots by posting here and giving Lowtax money.

Really? Because usually when something is even tenuously related to anything that could be construed as racist, this subforum would decry it as the worst thing since sliced Hitler.

Oh wait but you did say he supports racists which I guess isn't much better.

You guys really need to ease up on the race card.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kilroy posted:

It is worse than you think. We needed a moderate or liberal judge to make Redmap gerrymandering end with the 2020 census. I don't know if Obama has the tool he needs -- a law-abiding court -- to help Organizing for Action make meaningful progress against disenfranchisement by specifically GOP gerrymandering projects.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Crain posted:

That doesn't work however because said pro-Trump group blatantly abuses the reddit algorithm. They also created similar groups that are only "tangentially" related like Hillaryforprison, Sorosforprison, DNCLeaks, etc.

Even when the admins have adjusted the way that reddit populates it's front page to try and curb the massive flood of T_D posts on the front page it'll only last a few hours before the vote bots are tweaked enough to get them back on.

That's what your really running into. It's a coordinated effort that doesn't care about breaking systems to give the illusion of popular engagement.

Reminds me of a Vonnegut quote, which I've been reading a lot of lately:

"There is no reason good can't triumph over evil, if only Angels will get organized along the lines of the Mafia."

I never see pro-Donald messages on my front page. Just subscribe to a few subreddits and you'll never see it ever.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mcmagic posted:

This is why Obama HAS to recess appoint Garland.
He will not be able to do this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FizFashizzle posted:

Specifically, the founding fathers wanted to make sure the wrong person didn't get in.

Senate and Presidency were for the well heeled, intellectual, better parts of the country.

everything else was for the House.

Well also you originally didn't have a popular vote for electors in most states too. It's often glossed over because every state but South Carolina switched to popular vote for electors by the 1850s,but it was very much expected that most of the voting would be done by state legislatures initially,just as senators were mandated to be.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

It is worse than you think. We needed a moderate or liberal judge to make Redmap gerrymandering end with the 2020 census. I don't know if Obama has the tool he needs -- a law-abiding court -- to help Organizing for Action make meaningful progress against disenfranchisement by specifically GOP gerrymandering projects.
Yeah, I know the makeup of the courts is going to suck. But even the legitimacy of the entire judiciary - not just the Supreme Court but the inferior courts as well - is severely damaged. Irreparably so, I think.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

withak posted:

Can you imagine the chaos if the public saw how internal communications among politicians really went?

I was hearing somewhere that politicians are starting to communicate anything remotely controversial only in person or by phone, because you just can't get anything done if you have to think of how any sentence will look repeated on the Fox News news crawl for 3 weeks. Most people's work emails would look bad if shown to their worst enemy.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I guess we can lay "not making a dire enough case for the continued functioning of our democracy resting on the outcome of this election" at Hillary's feet. Granted, she tried autopiloting a substantial part of the election but goddamn at some point folks have to take some responsibility for motivating their own drat selves.

e: I guess in 8 years if there's a DNC maybe Hillary will make a speech and remind everyone of how you vote for both a party and a candidate in elections.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 15, 2016

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

BarbarianElephant posted:

I was hearing somewhere that politicians are starting to communicate anything remotely controversial only in person or by phone, because you just can't get anything done if you have to think of how any sentence will look repeated on the Fox News news crawl for 3 weeks. Most people's work emails would look bad if shown to their worst enemy.

After seeing all the leaks how can you possibly believe THIS is the reason why instead of "they constantly lie and do corrupt poo poo and don't want the public to find out about it"?

FAUXTON posted:

I guess we can lay "not making a dire enough case for the continued functioning of our democracy resting on the outcome of this election" at Hillary's feet. Granted, she tried autopiloting a substantial part of the election but goddamn at some point folks have to take some responsibility for motivating their own drat selves.

The loss of the election is 100% Hillary's fault for running a breathtakingly incompetent campaign.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kilroy posted:

He will not be able to do this.

Pretty sure he can at least get it into the courts.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mcmagic posted:

Pretty sure he can at least get it into the courts.
He can't recess appoint anyone if the Senate doesn't gavel out for ten days. They're not going to do that.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

e: I guess in 8 years if there's a DNC maybe Hillary will make a speech

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

I'm hoping the people gathering these statistics aren't so bad that they are weighing this with people that literally can't vote but yeah at this point who knows considering the quality of reporting lately.

I'm also pretty sure that's a significantly higher percentage of voters than in the random population..

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The judiciary is illegitimate, the executive is a farce, and everybody hates Congress' guts. Time to finally burn the Constitution and start over.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Kilroy posted:

He can't recess appoint anyone if the Senate doesn't gavel out for ten days. They're not going to do that.
This translates to "If he tries it, they will hold a pro forma session to nullify the recess", correct?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

May have been underage or felons.

You think it was a protest of child criminals?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Maarek posted:

After seeing all the leaks how can you possibly believe THIS is the reason why instead of "they constantly lie and do corrupt poo poo and don't want the public to find out about it"?

Politicians may be corrupt but the solution isn't to vote in an *even more* corrupt politician - that just makes things worse!

Maarek posted:

The loss of the election is 100% Hillary's fault for running a breathtakingly incompetent campaign.

No, it is Trump voters fault for voting for him. You shouldn't need to be wowed not to vote for a maniac.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kilroy posted:

The judiciary is illegitimate, the executive is a farce, and everybody hates Congress' guts. Time to finally burn the Constitution and start over.

good plan for emperor Trump

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Obama recess appointing Garland is not going to happen.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kilroy posted:

Pretty sure the rollover to the new congress is when he can do it and it would at least gum up the works in the courts for a few months.

Hollismason posted:

Obama recess appointing Garland is not going to happen.

I'm thinking more and more that it might.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
If you honestly believe politicians don't want a paper trail because they're scared people will take their innocent words out of context vs they don't want people to see the corrupt poo poo they actually do, I don't know what to say. That's pretty drat naive and gullible.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Kilroy posted:

Looks like we got another believer in the Trumpster :smugdon:

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

mcmagic posted:

It should. Republicans have shown that the rules don't apply to anyone, and whoever can force their will through is the one that will be listened to. The only alternative is for Democrats to politely stand aside for every Republican whim, whether they are in power or not.

Honestly the way the Supreme court is appointed is hosed up. It should be on the merits of the judges, not their political allegiance. The system encourages top judges to lick the boots of political parties to get to the top spot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

She won't. I mean she'd have at least that much grace to stay away when told by the DNC as it will have become by then.

mcmagic posted:

It would bring the court up to 9 and presumably allow for plausible deniability on part of the GOP when the election comes amidst historic stagflation. That's naturally assuming the Dems have the ability to hang the GOP's failures on the GOP and not ahahahahaha I can't even finish it, of course they won't be willing or capable, they'll just continue to play into the "we're the poxed house with slightly less pox" paradigm instead of calling the fuckers out for fuckery.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 15, 2016

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

So are the dems contesting the LA Runoff at all?

Don't know about the party as a whole, but I'm giving money every week until it happens.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/798547551901204480

So we'll just need 2 other republicans to block these nominations? It's not impossible.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Sir Tonk posted:

good plan for emperor Trump

My Linux Rig posted:

Looks like we got another believer in the Trumpster :smugdon:
haha

In all seriousness inside baseball political theory is not what led to Trump being President. lovely economic conditions and a grave miscalculation on how to campaign on Clinton's part did that. What led to the lovely economic conditions is of course the paralysis brought about by said inside baseball, but that's a degree removed.

I'm all for the Progressive Revolution in 2018/2020 or whatever it is Progressives think they're going to do. I'll support it any way I can. But the time for that movement to manifest and get its work done using the existing American democracy was in 2008 and Obama quickly sidelined that after taking office. As much as I like the guy that's a big part of his legacy.

Even if our wildest dreams come true two years from now (unlikely), repairing the damage wreaked to our institutions over the last few years is probably going to take longer than any of us have left to live.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

mcmagic posted:

The Supreme Court explicitly ruled two years ago that recess appointments during a pro forma session are invalid. That's the only way Obama could hope to do a recess appointment so it's not going to happen.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am extremely glad at how pro-active the progressives of the DNC are being, Bernie Sanders is now storming around the media spitting real talk, striking the right balance of outright defiance towards the administration while making people aware of the realistic dangers they're now facing.

You know, I think history will look back and view bernie as a pivotal and transformational figure in american politics, right now an entire generation is witnessing a literal threat against their lives, the second biggest party is in complete dissarray, hope is really getting a beating. Normally what happens is that these parties would dissolve into a complete civil war and flail around, but with bernie sanders you have a guy who is literally the right man at the right time with the right mindset taking control and making the right calls. The fact that bernie is pushing his ideas in full force through the public facing media AND down the throats of the democratic establishment is a really good sign that the right calls are being made. He is a really good opposition figure to Trump in every way, from his style, to his rhetoric, to his actions. I really hope for people's sake he can carry on this fight as he's doing now in these dark times. It's a shame that it comes at a time when him and his friends have zero legislative power to stop what's coming.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/798547551901204480

So we'll just need 2 other republicans to block these nominations? It's not impossible.

A lot of the more not crazy senators want Corker, which I wouldn't 100% have a problem with. His Iran nuclear deal maneuvering managed to let the GOP vote against it while still allowing it to go into effect, because at the end of the day it was a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

But yeah, denying Obama a Scalia replacement is horseshit but good thing nothing will ever come of it.

• Locked thread