Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I went to see Perturbator and co and picked up the gig exclusive Perturbator albums on clear vinyl. Blood Music also managed to get the last of Dynatron's Throttle Up EP's from the previous label so I had to get that... And the sold out Rigel Axiom EP too.

Pingiivi fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Just got back from the record swap and listening to a stack of 45s I got for a couple bux
:negative:
:greenangel:

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 7, 2016

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Elrobot posted:

Just got back from the record swap and listening to a stack of 45s I got for a couple bux
:negative:
:greenangel:

Sick

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

sporklift posted:

I am in the U.S. and shipping was something like $6 for five records.

I don't know what made me think that site was based out of the UK, considering all the dollar signs :doh:

Anyway, ordered a couple of records, the Belbury Circle and Charles-Eric Charrier. Thanks for the link!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I found and bought on a whim an old "portable" phonograph from the 60's. Not sure of the exact date but the woman I bought it from told me it was her brothers and they got it for Christmas in the 60's. The last time she remembered it working was during the Vietnam war. :v:

Here it is once I got it home. Seems in pretty good shape. I managed to pop one of the speakers off and drop it 3 feet immediately after buying it, and putting a small dent on one of the corners. :cripes: I'm not too torn up about it though because it wasn't mint condition or anything anyway.

(showing how the speakers pop out and off but I've already started taking it apart)

It came with the most bitchin complete manual you ever want ask for.

I've never had a record player and I'm not expecting insane sound quality from it but it should be a fun restoration project and curio. I've taken it apart and it looks like the problems are only 2 or 3 parts. The super obvious issue is the needle is broken. That's easy to replace though and I've already got one on the way.

The bigger issue is the Idler wheel. It's approximately as tough as diamonds and isn't gripping the turntable or the motor very well. I'm going to soak it in silicone oil to try and restore the plasticizers, but I found someone online selling one for $28 that's been refurbished, so that might end up being what I have to go with. Finally, when removing the broken needle, the yoke came out of the cartridge. I stuck it back in there but I'm not sure if it's functional at this point. I found a replacement cartridge (Astatic #275D) for $10, so I bought one just in case.

Once those parts come in I just need to give it a good vacuuming and wipe it down and it should be good to go mechanically. I took the speakers apart and they seem to be in surprisingly good shape. I'm not sure how they haven't deteriorated.

Anyone have any opinions on how good or bad this thing is going to be?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Silvertone was Sears' budget brand so I doubt you're going to be amazed or anything but it looks cool and it sounds like you're having fun so that's what matters.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

also you appear to understand mechanical stuff way better than most (especially me - what the gently caress is a plasticizer and why does it need oiling) so you're not going to be sitting there being like "this thing from 50+ years ago sounds bad!" without awareness of what you're up to

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Thanks for the info. I had no idea Silvertone was a budget brand. From what I can read online, half of the people think they're excellent, and the other seem to think they're crap. Maybe it varies a lot by model or just peoples expectations of what a phonograph should be. Mines a model 7274 which I can find 0 information on. Closest I've seen is a 7272.

I think I'll be pretty happy with whatever sound it puts out. If I become an audiophile I could always upgrade different parts of it while still maintaining the sweet vintage look :v:

:science: Plasticizers are what makes rubber rubbery. Over time they leech out of the rubber and cause it to become hard and brittle. Older phonographs from the 60's relied on idler wheels instead of belts or gears to transfer energy from the motor to the record plate. Since the rubber is hard and more like plastic, there isn't enough friction between the 3 parts. So the motor just spins against the idler wheel or the idler wheel spins against the plate, but rarely do all 3 spin at the speed they're supposed to. Silicone is a plasticizer, so by soaking it in silicone oil for a while, hopefully it will penetrate the aged rubber and restore some of its flexibility and grippiness and allow it all to function properly again.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

huh okay

the thing with Silvertone is that they're a brand where some of the stuff (certain guitars and amps) will sell for like a zillion dollars because tonelords are insane and some of it is stuff that you can get for two bucks and a sandwich, so it's hit or miss

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

huh okay

the thing with Silvertone is that they're a brand where some of the stuff (certain guitars and amps) will sell for like a zillion dollars because tonelords are insane and some of it is stuff that you can get for two bucks and a sandwich, so it's hit or miss

Baby boomer nostalgia is why the Silvertone amps and guitars fetch such high prices because all of that stuff is cheap junk with wildly inconsistent quality control. And I'm saying this as someone who collects vintage department store budget guitars and owns a Silvertone amp.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

SpartanIV posted:

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Silvertone was a budget brand. From what I can read online, half of the people think they're excellent, and the other seem to think they're crap. Maybe it varies a lot by model or just peoples expectations of what a phonograph should be. Mines a model 7274 which I can find 0 information on. Closest I've seen is a 7272.

I think I'll be pretty happy with whatever sound it puts out. If I become an audiophile I could always upgrade different parts of it while still maintaining the sweet vintage look :v:

:science: Plasticizers are what makes rubber rubbery. Over time they leech out of the rubber and cause it to become hard and brittle. Older phonographs from the 60's relied on idler wheels instead of belts or gears to transfer energy from the motor to the record plate. Since the rubber is hard and more like plastic, there isn't enough friction between the 3 parts. So the motor just spins against the idler wheel or the idler wheel spins against the plate, but rarely do all 3 spin at the speed they're supposed to. Silicone is a plasticizer, so by soaking it in silicone oil for a while, hopefully it will penetrate the aged rubber and restore some of its flexibility and grippiness and allow it all to function properly again.

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More than Ropes Will Ever Do

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Did Royal Trux completely pass anyone else by in the '90s? Someone popped "Turn of the Century" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mFqxZ0hvKk) once during the tail-end of an acid trip and it's just one of those songs that made me turn my head and go whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the gently caress is that.

Happy to have a copy.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
The Samorost 3 soundtrack is out. The packaging is really nice and the artprints are also cool if you're into that. The music works on its own so you don't have to know the game.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The duality of the vinyl thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

The music works on its own

Nah

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Video game composers use the wrong kind of notes for the songs to be enjoyable outside of the game jeeze everyone knows that.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

BigFactory posted:

The duality of the vinyl thread.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Retro games, Japanese games, the Hotline Miami series and Brutal Legend are the only acceptable video game soundtracks to buy on vinyl. Or if they ever released the entire Vice City soundtrack in a boxed set. Hope that helps.

VV But that's a retro Japanese game so it's already acceptable.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 11, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
And this Castlevania release with this map

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Someone posted a Jim Guthrie game soundtrack that looked cool

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Elrobot posted:

Someone posted a Jim Guthrie game soundtrack that looked cool

Must'be been some crazy fucker who likes video game soundtracks... Oh wait... poo poo.

(It's a good one)

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Ya I'll check it out- his now defunct Guelph based label Three Gut records was my fav in highschool but never put out vinyl. A few of his albums have gotten pressed recently by other labels.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My Experimedia package arrived today, and I guess they threw in an empty slip cover to fill out the 3-LP package they sent me. It was this album: http://experimedia.net/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=Array&products_id=19669

Pretty cool since that cover art is literally the only thing I like about the album :v:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is the only acceptable video game record

I had it as a kid, it's pretty terrible

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Not as good as "I Had Sex with Pac Man" by Barnes and Barnes.

EDIT: And if anyone hasn't seen the "Soak it Up" video, that poo poo is priiiimo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Not as good as "I Had Sex with Pac Man" by Barnes and Barnes.

EDIT: And if anyone hasn't seen the "Soak it Up" video, that poo poo is priiiimo.

I forgot that Barnes and Barnes was a 70s novelty act and at first though you were talking about another of Montreal spin off.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have this stupid record:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

I have this stupid record:

Holy poo poo, I have this record. Its at my parents house but I remember listening to it growing up.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

caligulamprey posted:

Holy poo poo this is amazing

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Snowy posted:

This is the only acceptable video game record

I had it as a kid, it's pretty terrible

Incorrect.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

That.

Is exquisite.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Hey guys! I didn't buy a video game soundtrack this time!

:guitar: :drum: :sax:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Blood Music has the three Sleepytime Gorilla Museum albums up, I'd grab em quick if you want them:
http://www.blood-music.com/store-us/

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Kaboobi posted:

Blood Music has the three Sleepytime Gorilla Museum albums up
I was about to come post this! Managed to grab all the swirl variants because I love dumb novelty colors. Blood Music just said they don't expect them to last the night, so grab 'em while they're hot!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The Fight Club soundtrack is one of my favorite film scores ever, and Mondo's putting out an edition on Wednesday. From the look if it, it forces you to gently caress up the packaging just to open it, which is hilarious.

quote:

Buy it or you will be incomplete. But be warned, this album will not stay beautiful, clean or perfect. It will not stay mint, or even VG+. It will become fair at best. Just like you.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Cool thanks mondo 80.bucks for a record I get to gently caress up.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Luckily I got the Simply Vinyl reissue of the original soundtrack back in the day. It's kinda pricey today.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The soundtrack to Fight Club is probably the only thing that holds up in regards to Fight Club.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Some of the po-mo effects are kind of neat (the Ikea room scene), but yes, that's correct.

Unless you're a 17-year-old MRA I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Grabbed those sleepytime gorila museum records. thanks for the heads up.