Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

Is the class from a Geography department? Every geography GIS course I've seen or taken is trivial peanuts compared to what you get in any geology department. There is just no comparison, and I went to a school with a huge geography dept. It seems to me like it's one of those liberal arts vs STEM things.
This was an anthropology class, and they were teaching incredibly basic ArcGIS Online poo poo. I'm a double major with the other one being GIS so I was incredibly bored the whole time. All GIS classes except for the one I'm in now are under our department, the exception is part of environmental science for some reason.

The geology kids might be dorks who love rocks too much, and talk about field camp like junior enlisted talk about basic training, but I really prefer them to most of my classmates in the other department. Can't think of any of them that I thought were going to be chronically unemployed going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

How do I go about using the GI Bill to get a new computer? I recall someone mentioning something about it once. My laptop is a piece of poo poo that takes a good ten minutes to turn on and I'd like a new one.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

First it's not the GI Bill, that's Vocrehab. Second, there is a thing you can do that helps via tax return. It's called like the "American Opportunity Tax" or something. Essentially you buy a computer (I got a MacBook Pro) and keep your receipt. Bring this receipt and your school W-4 thing and you get a lot of it back. I don't think it's 1 for 1 but it was enough to do it twice. You can only use up to a certain amount and I didn't hit that the first time.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

How do I go about using the GI Bill to get a new computer? I recall someone mentioning something about it once. My laptop is a piece of poo poo that takes a good ten minutes to turn on and I'd like a new one.

I'm pretty sure it's Voc Rehab that does that, not the GI Bill.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone have experience with masters programs here?

I'm applying to 4 different schools and the first one to come back accepted me. They sent me a letter that said "to accept this offer, please send in the acceptance/admin/enrollment fee and go to this website to confirm enrollment by November 21." However, that school is my last choice of the four, and I don't even have an interview scheduled for one of the schools until November 30.

So, anyone seen this before? I don't know how they would take it if I was just blunt and said "still waiting to hear from other schools." Because maybe they take it as a slight knowing they aren't my number 1? Definitely want to have that school in my back pocket in case I don't get in anywhere else, though.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Anyone have experience with masters programs here?

I'm applying to 4 different schools and the first one to come back accepted me. They sent me a letter that said "to accept this offer, please send in the acceptance/admin/enrollment fee and go to this website to confirm enrollment by November 21." However, that school is my last choice of the four, and I don't even have an interview scheduled for one of the schools until November 30.

So, anyone seen this before? I don't know how they would take it if I was just blunt and said "still waiting to hear from other schools." Because maybe they take it as a slight knowing they aren't my number 1? Definitely want to have that school in my back pocket in case I don't get in anywhere else, though.

This is totally common and they aren't going to care if you ask for an extended deadline because you're waiting on the word from other schools. They may not necessarily say yes. But if they flip out, you dodged a bullet anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"She has it so in her head that it's scabies..." Wish I could have heard the rest.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

New art:

It's actually rotated weird and is supposed to be so those black squares in the bottom right are actually in the top right. It was supposed to demonstrate different types of implied texture.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Soulex posted:

New art:

It's actually rotated weird and is supposed to be so those black squares in the bottom right are actually in the top right. It was supposed to demonstrate different types of implied texture.

I'm not seeing any dicks in it so maybe go back and fix it?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The final project is supposed to be 6 panels. I am trying to figure out how to do loss.jpg

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

New art:

You know that episode of It's Always Sunny where they try to get into art and Frank has the most intense reaction to art? That's me right now. I want your art.

Edit: https://youtu.be/Z_krUyIGtSE

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 9, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've actually been saving that show. I did season 1 and liked it, but put it off as my "binge watch when bed ridden." Category because the last time I came from surgery and couldn't do much, I ran out of stuff to watch and slowly went insane.

Also, even if you're joking, I appreciate the compliment. I have like 0 confidence in my artistic ability so for someone to get something out of it is nice. I always thought my style of drawing and writing was weird and off putting.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

I've actually been saving that show. I did season 1 and liked it, but put it off as my "binge watch when bed ridden." Category because the last time I came from surgery and couldn't do much, I ran out of stuff to watch and slowly went insane.

Also, even if you're joking, I appreciate the compliment. I have like 0 confidence in my artistic ability so for someone to get something out of it is nice. I always thought my style of drawing and writing was weird and off putting.

Oh I'm not joking, and I totally understand the not having any confidence. I honestly really like your work. It's calming when I look at it.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Casimir Radon posted:

The geology kids might be dorks who love rocks too much, and talk about field camp like junior enlisted talk about basic training, but I really prefer them to most of my classmates in the other department. Can't think of any of them that I thought were going to be chronically unemployed going forward.

I have a bachelor's and a master's in geology and I think all but one or two of my classmates have decent or better jobs. Those one or two legitimately seem to have chosen different paths on purpose, not just gotten hosed by a job skills and job market and student loan thing.

So yeah geology rules is what I'm saying. Knowing what a syncline is basically makes you a member of a secret club. Learn python.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So this is happening in my class right now

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
GREEN MAN

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Soulex posted:

Don't kink shame me.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Soulex posted:

call the cops

dude's about to start jerking it in public

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What are you doing?!

I didn't say start SLACKING off

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Accepted a pretty decent summer internship offer today from one of the places I handed a resume to at the school's stem career fair back in September. Got a few other offers, but this one should be pretty interesting (aerospace, bitch).

Career fairs own.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 15, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Oh, while we're posting good news, it looks like I'll be doing some work down in Florida over the summer. Non-mil, but mil-related. Gonna live on the beach and get a sweet beer gut.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
stay safe per diem ghost

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i don't want to go to class today or ever again I need to change my program but probably wont :(

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
grats deathy mc beer gut

ps hct, whats the deal bro?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i don't want to go to class today or ever again I need to change my program but probably wont :(

same bro and I have a Physics exam Thursday night :negative:

I'm taking home a stone cold F in Calc II this round and I am not interested in trying to re-take it right now. Next term, I'm working on my minor and hopefully fluffing my GPA a little, but I'm going to need another year to work on my hard science/math education (Calc II and Phys II w/ Lab) before I can really start focusing on my upper-div geology coursework. Luckily I can get on Voc Rehab, so I don't really have to worry about using up my GI Bill.

holocaust bloopers posted:

stay safe per diem ghost

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I think we're the same person.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
OK, just looked through your posts

weed, whore ports, geology; checks out

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

OK, just looked through your posts

weed, whore ports, geology; checks out

Checked both of your post histories and they were both bad.

Checks out.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I have got an absolutely RAGING case of Senioritis. I do not have a solitary gently caress left to give and am going through the motions in the most mechanical way possible for my last few weeks of schooling. Nothing that impacts grades cause poo poo's important yo but anything beyond that I don't even do something like read an email anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So like ETSing then.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Accounting is hard

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

TBeats posted:

Accounting is hard

Another month and I'm done. gently caress going for the CPA though, I have a local job lined up already and I'd rather not be miserable working for a firm during tax season. (Or as one of my profs called it, "opportunity season." I was laughing madly at that, but somehow I was the only one in the class to do so.)

I'm legit leaning towards buying a M82A1 CQ as a graduation present to myself. 90% due to The Accountant.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

TBeats posted:

Accounting is hard

I'm glad I had no accounting courses this quarter. I'm a little worried about starting intermediate accounting next quarter though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I have to take the "haven't done math since high school."math before I can take the one required entry level math class. Because the math class I did for TESU didn't count. Which sucks but gently caress man :(. Why accounting?

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Soulex posted:

I have to take the "haven't done math since high school."math before I can take the one required entry level math class. Because the math class I did for TESU didn't count. Which sucks but gently caress man :(. Why accounting?

My understanding is intermediate accounting is where accounting gets hard and people realize they don't want major in it. It doesn't help the professor I'm registered for is the harder one. I don't want to have to go back to Voc Rehab and come up with a new plan cause intermediate accounting crushed my soul.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm almost done with my first accounting class and so far I'm really enjoying it. Idk but for whatever reason it clicks with me and I am enjoying making everything balance out

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm almost done with my first accounting class and so far I'm really enjoying it. Idk but for whatever reason it clicks with me and I am enjoying making everything balance out

Financial accounting is not a good barometer for the difficulty of accounting.

E: I switched my major from business admin to accounting after I took financial. I wish I had changed it to English or something. Intermediate has made me want to get out of the business program completely.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 16, 2016

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah intermediate is where poo poo starts getting real.

What worked for me was doing the practice problems over and over until I really had the mechanics down. This also entailed acquiring solutions manuals, not to cheat with, but to check my work. That way, if my answer was off, I could generally backtrack my way through the problem and figure out where I went wrong. Probably 80% of the time, it's because I skimmed the question and missed something crucial.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My prof assigns several problems per chapter and posts the answers online. That's how I learn it. But holy poo poo some of it is ridiculously time consuming. Like an hour and a half on one problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TBeats posted:

My prof assigns several problems per chapter and posts the answers online. That's how I learn it. But holy poo poo some of it is ridiculously time consuming. Like an hour and a half on one problem.

Any sufficiently advanced math class is like that. My calc III exam had 4 problems and it took at least a page each if not more to show all my work.

• Locked thread