Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thief posted:

you can basically drift anything RWD with proper clutchkicking and enough speed.

I recall back on FM4 there was a rivals drift event on Fujimi where everyone was running GTR-swapped Datsun 510s and I managed to top the club leaderboard using a bone stock 510.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Does anyone here have good advice for taming muscle cars? I've always found them much harder to do well in than the usual Japanese/European suspects.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This game holds its value better than a Honda Accord. Can't believe it still costs $50 new. Maddafakka.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

ChocNitty posted:

This game holds its value better than a Honda Accord. Can't believe it still costs $50 new. Maddafakka.

Horizon 2 got a games with gold discount during the holidays the year it released I would assume this one will too.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Apex has been amazing apart from times when rewinds will just die (like every time on Italian Greats your 458 somehow passes the 610-4 after it gets to start hundreds of metres ahead and facing the exit of a hairpin). The rivals system is fiendish though - my friend and I have been going back and forth on one event and not only have I spent ~$3 on cars because you can't upgrade, but I'm now regularly running Unbeatable with no drive/brake line or even TCS if I have a good AWD car.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's odd to see my good friend's gamertag racing with me even though he died of cancer recently.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

jonathan posted:

It's odd to see my good friend's gamertag racing with me even though he died of cancer recently.

:smith:

Sorry you lost your friend, man. Been there.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

jonathan posted:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is this the Forza Horizons thread as well? I can't seem to find one.

I was thinking about picking up Forza horizons 3 and was wondering what does XBOX Gold Live actually grant you? Do I need it for the auction house or livery purchases?

Also, I saw an XBOX One + Forza 6 + Forza Horizon 3 bundle for £170 online, went back an hour later and it's sold out :(

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

Is this the Forza Horizons thread as well?

Sure is. I went through a similar "where the gently caress is it" moment in the days leading up to me buying FH3.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Shame we can't copy liveries from Forza 4. It's gonna take me ages to remake my R33 GTR.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb and others - anyone up for some racing tonight - 9ish?

If not dice racing, there's a solid Lancia 037 B600 tune with no aero (tune by voiceoverguy) that we could all run the same class for a few races.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hexenritter posted:

Sorry you lost your friend, man. Been there.

Don't worry, I have only good memories from our friendship! Just dissapointed I didn't get to go to the funeral, as I do mission critical work and can't take time off short of maybe my own death.

Edit: also his gamertag is Sharron Needles. thats some funny poo poo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ak Gara posted:

Is this the Forza Horizons thread as well? I can't seem to find one.

I was thinking about picking up Forza horizons 3 and was wondering what does XBOX Gold Live actually grant you? Do I need it for the auction house or livery purchases?

Also, I saw an XBOX One + Forza 6 + Forza Horizon 3 bundle for £170 online, went back an hour later and it's sold out :(

It's not the horizons thread but it is the horizon thread :goonsay:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

geeves posted:

GutBomb and others - anyone up for some racing tonight - 9ish?

If not dice racing, there's a solid Lancia 037 B600 tune with no aero (tune by voiceoverguy) that we could all run the same class for a few races.

I can't this week, but next week hell yes on the lancia

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I do love this game a lot, it is exactly what I was hoping it would be which is a good mix of race styles. One-way races on real-worldish roads without every inch having walls on the sides, street races with traffic, and circuit races. It has great variety in environments from city streets to long stretches of highway to twisty turny hilly roads, as well as weather effects. You have your pick of real world cars with their actual performance, not every car is a riced-out racecar, although you can turn any car into that if you want. The rewind feature makes it more fun because skidding into a tree mid-race doesn't ruin the whole race for you. I spend just as much time just driving around in circles seeing how fast I can throw myself into corners and not lose control as I do in the actual races. The fact that you can turn off damage is fun because you're not spending all your time repairing your car over and over just because some dickhole AI pulled out in front of you while you were trying to drift past him at 150MPH.

Downsides: the wheel support I find to be unusable on my Thrustmaster TMX, and launching the game takes an eternity of watching dumb company logo videos, "take me awayyyyyy" press a button to start but not really start because you still need to press a button to start, then watch a cutscene for your location, then a cutscene for your car and finally I can loving drive to the event, oops the game crashed when I tried to start the event.

This is a dumb question but what the heck is the bull nosering on the grill of cars for? The HE car fronts all have that silly red ring up there which I can only imagine is for towing people on waterskis while in reverse?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

beer holder for when youre working under the hood

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CapnBry posted:

I do love this game a lot, it is exactly what I was hoping it would be which is a good mix of race styles. One-way races on real-worldish roads without every inch having walls on the sides, street races with traffic, and circuit races. It has great variety in environments from city streets to long stretches of highway to twisty turny hilly roads, as well as weather effects. You have your pick of real world cars with their actual performance, not every car is a riced-out racecar, although you can turn any car into that if you want. The rewind feature makes it more fun because skidding into a tree mid-race doesn't ruin the whole race for you. I spend just as much time just driving around in circles seeing how fast I can throw myself into corners and not lose control as I do in the actual races. The fact that you can turn off damage is fun because you're not spending all your time repairing your car over and over just because some dickhole AI pulled out in front of you while you were trying to drift past him at 150MPH.

Downsides: the wheel support I find to be unusable on my Thrustmaster TMX, and launching the game takes an eternity of watching dumb company logo videos, "take me awayyyyyy" press a button to start but not really start because you still need to press a button to start, then watch a cutscene for your location, then a cutscene for your car and finally I can loving drive to the event, oops the game crashed when I tried to start the event.

This is a dumb question but what the heck is the bull nosering on the grill of cars for? The HE car fronts all have that silly red ring up there which I can only imagine is for towing people on waterskis while in reverse?

It's a tow hook. Pointless in the game but real race cars have them so if you go off track the track vehicles can pull you.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

CapnBry posted:

Tow hook for dragging the thing out a bush/wall/gravel/car.

Any rumors about the next car pack yet?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

CapnBry posted:

Caravans?

Keket posted:

Any rumors about the next car pack yet?

...Caravans!

(I'm joking :( )

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ak Gara posted:

Caravans?

...Caravans!

(I'm joking :( )

A Top Gear-esque caravan lawndarts mode would be amazing

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

My favorite feature of this game/Windows Store is that I have to restart my computer whenever I have to update the game, otherwise I just get error messages when trying

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

HORMELCHILI posted:

beer holder for when youre working under the hood

legit drift charm bruh

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Alright for the first time since before the election im BACK FROM THE DEAD/BANNED. I'll avoid USPOL and lets do some racing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRXJG5MS9BU

(Especially if people with the porsche DLC are up for some homestead-miami nascar racing this weekend)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 20, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Porsche nascar?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Mixed up the tracks. ViR came with porsche. Not that oval racing 930 Porsche doesnt sound like fun.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 20, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I am down for some oval racing today.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So who wants to do some racing now?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GutBomb posted:

So who wants to do some racing now?

I'll race now.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Im at actual homestead now watching tony "that guy from the Lewis hamilton seat swap." Stewarts last race. Itll be few hours.

Never been to nascar ever i am hype.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

tony stewart killed a guy

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I spent hours just spitting sunflowers into an empty miller lite can. I've never felt so southern. The cars sound great but it needs to be 40 laps, not 260. They throw a full course caution every single time someone has a puncture.

ethanol posted:

tony stewart killed a guy

You mean "Tony Stewart killed it at sonoma"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy0WV2cpkS4

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 21, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

God drat doing letters is a pain. How hard would it be to add a txt line and just type them in with the on screen keyboard!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

[edit] Opps, the club le mans nismo thing is not centered! Better get on that :v:

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 21, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ak Gara posted:

[edit] Opps, the club le mans nismo thing is not centered! Better get on that :v:
Beautiful work. I love making replica liveries but it's so hard. I have vinyls I made for FM4 that I just don't have the heart to re-make because they took days.

Hat is off to you, it's wonderful.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
help I got forza 3 horizon and I don't know how to tune :(

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm still using the FM6 (ForzaTune 6) phone app on my tablet and it is still very useful. There's another method, but it won't give you transmission gearing results so I just use the app.

I've been playing online exclusively for weeks and my tuned cars are competitive. They all respond to my inputs in the way I expect. I've had few disappointments.

Now, this is the opposite of the "I drive cars stock because of the variety" way of doing things, which I totally respect. I just go race to race and need stability. So I use the app. Give me some time, and I'll dig up my old post about how to set up suspensions.

FH3 is all about speed, and somewhat about cornering. It's different than FM. Were I to use FM strategy to tune my cars, I'd never finish a race (I was all about grip over power.)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I know the easiest way to find your Horizon Edition cars is to just scroll really fast through the list looking for the HE bonus indicators but is there a way to filter for them?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crap Third Street Saints livery for my newly acquired hearse. Text entry instead of single letter placement would be so much easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I spent way too long doing this. What's wrong with me? :v:

• Locked thread