Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I've been reduced to going through some old shots recently as I just can't find the time to get out and shoot. This is a Pygmy Falcon from Kenya.

toggle posted:

Spring in Australia means it's fairy wren season :)

Great shot. What a stunning bird.

You really are the heron master. Great series of shot as usual.

Raikyn posted:

Couple of smallish shore birds

NZ Dotterel by Marc, on Flickr
The Oyster-catcher is pretty nice, but this is a truly gorgeous shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

You really are the heron master. Great series of shot as usual.
I've been very lucky to have some really cooperative subjects. Arcata Marsh's brackish pond trains wading birds to get acclimated to human activity because it has some fantastic fishing spots right next to a frequently used trail. For a couple years, we had a large Great Blue Heron that would reliably show up to fish next to the sluice gate on the pond and allowed for some great close encounters. It would sometimes get so absorbed in stalking fish that it would walk within my lens' minimum focal distance before realizing I was there and taking a short flight to give itself some space. It died earlier this fall (probably from natural causes - I suspect it was pretty old), but a new one has moved in from the neighboring salt marsh to take over its old territory. The new guy is even more camera-friendly than the last - if I give it a few minutes to get used to my presence, it lets me climb down on the rocks right next to its favorite fishing spot, and it doesn't even seem to react to my presence. I haven't tried a filming session with it yet (the last one would get a bit nervous if I stood behind a large tripod nearby), but it has allowed for some amazing closeup photo ops.

gbh-smelt by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Lovely Pygmy Falcon shot, too. I was hoping to see one at the Sacramento Zoo earlier this year, but apparently they only bring it out for special events.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Some sort of vertibird

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Father O'Blivion posted:

Some sort of vertibird

It's a nuthatch. Where are you/this bird? That would help narrow down the species.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Reckon that's a White breasted Nuthatch. Not other Nuthatch species is both so white and without a black eye stripe. (for once wikipedia has a table of id plates, not not a list of species names)

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Blue Jay by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The otter family that was frequenting Arcata Marsh's western pond seems to have moved on once the rains started, so more ducks and diving birds have moved in. Whenever a cormorant surfaces with anything larger than a stickleback, all the others swoop in to steal it.

cormorant-sculpin 2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

This guy made a quick getaway with his sculpin and managed to swallow it before the other cormorants caught up.

cormorant-sculpin 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The Pied-billed Grebes are following the schools of sticklebacks in the pond.

grebe-stickleback 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

They get upset whenever the cormorants invade their fishing spots, and will take off running across the water.

grebe-water by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I've been seeing this bittern off and on for the past month, but it usually stays in some inaccessible parts of the marsh. The other day, he ended up right next to one of the few gaps in the cattails around his favorite pond.

bittern-head 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

An egret pretzel:

egret-twist by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Black Phoebe looking for insects:

phoebe-flight by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
It took a bit, but this Pileated finally got comfortable enough to come in to the feeder yesterday while I was hanging out outside.

Pileated Woodpecker 1 by Josh, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpecker 2 by Josh, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Banded Dotterel chick

Pohowera, the banded dotterel by Marc, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

American Kestrels are returning to the Humboldt County coast for the winter. I was about to give up on the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area for the evening because a bunch of duck hunters were showing up, then this little lady was waiting for me back at the trailhead.

kestrel-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kestrel-soaring by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kestrel-hover by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Great stuff on this page, as usual.

I haven't had many opportunities to do any real birding in the past couple of months, but I did cycle out some gear in anticipation of the fall migrants starting to move in around here. Most drastically, I ditched my 7D. I bought it hoping to capture more action, but while it could find focus in some pretty split-second situations and was mostly adequate for birds in flight, that body was just a little too.. worn out, maybe? Consistent misfocus (even after running the gamut of possible AFM adjustment levels) and a lack of pixel-level sharpness on roughly 8/10 exposures seemed to indicate to me that the mirror box and shutter just weren't up to running an older Ultrasonic lens design (400L 5.6) in continuous focus / rapid-fire shutter applications. It didn't often give satisfactory results with relatively stationary subjects, either. Things seemed to degrade as the shutter actuation count got higher. I did hold on to the 400L for use with my 5DII, although unless I find a Canon APS-C camera that's worth it I might eventually let that lens go, too. I hardly use my 5D for anything in the field these days.

Now I've gone out on a limb and acquired a Nikon AF 300mm f/4, primarily to use with an Olympus E-M10. I almost just got one of the EF->MFT smart adapters with electronic aperture control for mounting the 400L instead, but the smaller size, faster max aperture, and shorter focal length all recommended the 300 to me instead. (I have some reservations about how well the E-M10's IBIS system would handle an 800mm equivalent FoV, plus the greater DoF control afforded by the f/4 aperture was appealing. I'm planning to use the lens with a film camera, too, and it'll be able to engage the AF system.) So how is it? It's no Oly PRO 300/4, and the 16mm MFT sensor doesn't quite match up to those of the latest Sony 24MP APS-C cameras, but it's sharp enough. Detail reproduction is good all the way down to f/4, but contrast suffers and highlight fringing gets pretty strong at that point. Fortunately these are issues that ACR can mostly eliminate. And being able to carry around a 600mm equivalent lens, camera body, plus a couple of additional lenses all stuffed together in a little shoulder bag is pretty sweet. So is being able to hand-hold down to 1/320. It makes taking pictures in shady brushy areas way more feasible.

Probably the biggest letdowns of using this adapted lens setup, as opposed to my old a6000 + 400L combo, are the EVF focusing aids. Focus peaking with the Oly is very rudimentary compared to the a6000; the outlining is too aggressive, and the EVF refresh rate drops significantly when it's in use. Digital zoom is more responsive, but it's easy to lose track of the subject when the minimum magnification level is already 5X.

... Well, that was a longer post than I planned on. I guess this is my mini review of the Nikon 300mm f/4. Following are some sample pictures so you judge it for yourself. These are all cropped just a little bit.

perching mockingbird05 by S M, on Flickr

fledgling mockingbird03 by S M, on Flickr

black vulture02 by S M, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 27, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I haven't been out a lot recently but this past Saturday was nice in Seattle. I found a juvenile Cooper's Hawk because of the crows circling it. I got in position just in time for the morning sun to shine directly on the bird, with dark clouds still in the background.

Also getting better at getting small birds in-flight:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 27, 2016

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

This is all around badass.

Scrub jays are probably my favorite bird since they'll work for peanuts.

Edit: bonus scrubby non-jay fledgling

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 27, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It was a fairly nice morning in Seattle, and I got to really stretch the low-light legs of the 200-500mm + D7200 combo. Some color correction in Lightroom and bam, I've got some stuff I'm pretty happy with.

Bonus: of course the only in-flight hummingbird shot I got this morning had a flower in front of his bill.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some harrier action from the edge of Humboldt Bay:

harrier-swoop 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

harrier-shorebirds3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

harrier-dowitchers by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

While the dowitchers were distracted by the harriers, a Peregrine Falcon swooped in to chase one of them.

peregrine-dowitcher by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

The juvenile peregrine didn't catch anything but one of the adults grabbed a meal after making a low pass over one of the levees.

peregrine-dinner 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

A smaller bird

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I just returned from a pretty amazing trip to Falkland Islands and South Georgia. 20k pictures to slog through, so I'll probably be spamming pictures for a while. Hauling my 600 along nearly broke me but was totally worth the effort. I'm glad I ignored all the people who told me "you don't need that lens...the wildlife isn't scared of you and will just come right up" (which is true, but I still found myself shooting with the 600 for 90% of my shots).

Start things off with some King Pengins

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I haven't had many opportunities to do any real birding in the past couple of months, but I did cycle out some gear in anticipation of the fall migrants starting to move in around here. Most drastically, I ditched my 7D. I bought it hoping to capture more action, but while it could find focus in some pretty split-second situations and was mostly adequate for birds in flight, that body was just a little too.. worn out, maybe? Consistent misfocus (even after running the gamut of possible AFM adjustment levels) and a lack of pixel-level sharpness on roughly 8/10 exposures seemed to indicate to me that the mirror box and shutter just weren't up to running an older Ultrasonic lens design (400L 5.6) in continuous focus / rapid-fire shutter applications. It didn't often give satisfactory results with relatively stationary subjects, either. Things seemed to degrade as the shutter actuation count got higher. I did hold on to the 400L for use with my 5DII, although unless I find a Canon APS-C camera that's worth it I might eventually let that lens go, too. I hardly use my 5D for anything in the field these days.

Now I've gone out on a limb and acquired a Nikon AF 300mm f/4, primarily to use with an Olympus E-M10. I almost just got one of the EF->MFT smart adapters with electronic aperture control for mounting the 400L instead, but the smaller size, faster max aperture, and shorter focal length all recommended the 300 to me instead. (I have some reservations about how well the E-M10's IBIS system would handle an 800mm equivalent FoV, plus the greater DoF control afforded by the f/4 aperture was appealing. I'm planning to use the lens with a film camera, too, and it'll be able to engage the AF system.) So how is it? It's no Oly PRO 300/4, and the 16mm MFT sensor doesn't quite match up to those of the latest Sony 24MP APS-C cameras, but it's sharp enough. Detail reproduction is good all the way down to f/4, but contrast suffers and highlight fringing gets pretty strong at that point. Fortunately these are issues that ACR can mostly eliminate. And being able to carry around a 600mm equivalent lens, camera body, plus a couple of additional lenses all stuffed together in a little shoulder bag is pretty sweet. So is being able to hand-hold down to 1/320. It makes taking pictures in shady brushy areas way more feasible.
I have no personal experience with a 7D + 400 f/5.6 but I'm surprised you're finding so many issues with those two. That being said, your sample images of the new 300mm are looking really good. Looks like you found a pretty good combo.

Kenshin posted:

I haven't been out a lot recently but this past Saturday was nice in Seattle. I found a juvenile Cooper's Hawk because of the crows circling it. I got in position just in time for the morning sun to shine directly on the bird, with dark clouds still in the background.

The lighting on this is beautiful. Great shot!

Moon Potato posted:

Some harrier action from the edge of Humboldt Bay:

harrier-swoop 1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
Stunning harrier shot and great hunting series as usual. Do you have any chance to see the falcons approaching and get set up? You always seem to capture some great action.

Raikyn posted:

A smaller bird

I'm hopeless with shorebird IDs for most of them but whatever this is you've got an amazing shot of it. Nice work.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo those penguin pictures!!!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Can I just say I hate you!

Who did you go with? Was it a general trip or one specifically for photographers?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah those penguin pictures are great.

Looking forward to more!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the comments. The King Penguin colonies we saw were just massive (500k breeding pairs on one beach landing alone), but there was so much more to see as well. Here's a few more penguin shots to show the variety encountered.

This was the only Macaroni we saw for the entire trip. I guess we were too early to see them come ashore for breeding.

Rockhoppers were only in the Falklands, but we found a couple of pretty good sized colonies. They are really cute but also really bad at keeping their eggs safe. Saw a lot of Skuas flying around with light blue eggs :(

Gentoos were mixed in on nearly every beach landing we did, but we only saw one large colony.

We visited only a single Chinstrap colony and that was from a zodiak only. The main colony of them in South Georgia got massacred by some avian disease a while ago :(

Pablo Bluth posted:

Who did you go with? Was it a general trip or one specifically for photographers?
My wife and I went with Cheeseman's Ecology Safaris. The only reason we went this year was because it's the last year they're offering the trip and they are pretty amazing at what they do. It wasn't just for photographers but they had some guides who are pros plus Artie Morris was there as well which was pretty cool. Fair warning -- the cost to get to South Georgia with any trip is just ridiculous and I think I'm going to be eating rice and beans for a few years before I recover from this trip. Falklands is something you can possibily arrange yourself though and I would highly recommend it. I can provide more details if anyone is interested.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I am definitely interested!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'd be interested too. Unfortunately its a few years before I'll be able to justify any more big trips (house improvements...) but the Falklands is high on my list, especially the King Penguins.

I read Morris' blog on an irregular basis. He tends to over-tweak his images for my taste, plus from I've been told from people who have met him, I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck on a ship with him...

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Cool penguin photos. I am jealous. Antarticta is high up on my to-do list. (or rather wish-i-could-afford list)

InternetJunky posted:

My wife and I went with Cheeseman's Ecology Safaris. The only reason we went this year was because it's the last year they're offering the trip

Why is it the last year?

Pablo Bluth posted:

from I've been told from people who have met him, I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck on a ship with him...

He is a great photographer but he is like this stereotypical old dude who doesn't give a crap or need to give a crap.
I saw some seminar with him and he was pacing back and forth so this guy sitting in the front row asked if he could not move towards the back rows, AM replied with "deal with it", hehe

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 11, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

In terms of Falklands, the place is a dream for wildlife photographers. There's tons of different islands, with different colonies of animals/birds on each. The hardest part is getting there (once a week flight from Santiago or a once weekly flight from UK on a military plane). There's a flight service that can take you to most of the islands (http://www.falklandislands.com/product.php/19/24/air_service__figas_/138d7bf22947455d965251bf33087fc9), and you can arrange accommodation on a lot of the islands (they are all privately owned but a lot offer bed & breakfast type services). There was a guy beside me on the plane in who was going for two weeks to photograph the orcas going after sea lion pups on one of the islands, and he had arranged to stay in a spare room at the warden's station on the island. I definitely plan to go back at some point and will probably just book a few days on each island.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I read Morris' blog on an irregular basis. He tends to over-tweak his images for my taste, plus from I've been told from people who have met him, I'm not sure I'd want to be stuck on a ship with him...

Ineptitude posted:

He is a great photographer but he is like this stereotypical old dude who doesn't give a crap or need to give a crap.
I saw some seminar with him and he was pacing back and forth so this guy sitting in the front row asked if he could not move towards the back rows, AM replied with "deal with it", hehe
He is certainly an eccentric person and not someone I would describe as humble in any way, but it was still interesting getting to see someone who's work I respect shoot and edit photos. I did feel bad for the 8 or so folks who I guess were there with him as part of some instructional course. He is not a good instructor.

Ineptitude posted:

Why is it the last year?
It's the last year for Cheesemans, but there's other tour operators that go to South Georgia. The costs to get there keep going up, especially if you're going with a ship that has 100 people or less. It's just not worth it to go with one of the bigger ships with hundreds of people since you can only land 100 people on a landing at once, and some places were actually restricted to 50 per landing. From what I understand there's also more restrictions coming in on what you can/can't do on landings that make it too restrictive now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

who I guess were there with him as part of some instructional course. He is not a good instructor.
IPT. He sure loves to talk about his IPTs.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
A few pictures of the eagles at Conowingo Dam in Maryland:

_DSC7089.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

_DSC7153.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

_DSC7175.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Much like Sparrows, Gulls make pretty good practice subjects. They're pretty tolerant of humans, they're active during the day and hang out in the open, and they don't move too quickly most of the time. I'm not calling these photos *good*, but I do feel like I'm learning useful supertele technique when I'm sitting on a riverbank below a dam shooting shithawks.

SD 173 Shand Dam Gulls 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 173 Shand Dam Gulls 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 173 Shand Dam Gulls 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 173 Shand Dam Gulls 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 173 Shand Dam Gulls 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 173 Shand Dam Gulls 9 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 173 Shand Dam Gulls 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here are some Blue-eyed Shag photos. Their behaviour was really fun to watch except they pooped all over me, my wife, and our gear. I actually thought it was raining.

Saddamnit posted:

A few pictures of the eagles at Conowingo Dam in Maryland:
Love the mood in the first shot, and that's a pretty awesome capture in your last shot! Are these already cropped closer? It would be great if you could crop extra off the edges to make the eagles a bit more prominent.

ExecuDork posted:

Much like Sparrows, Gulls make pretty good practice subjects. They're pretty tolerant of humans, they're active during the day and hang out in the open, and they don't move too quickly most of the time. I'm not calling these photos *good*, but I do feel like I'm learning useful supertele technique when I'm sitting on a riverbank below a dam shooting shithawks.
Gulls are great for practising birds in flight, but are metering nightmares (and in that sense even better practice). I think they're also really beautiful birds even if they are shithawks.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
*picks jaw up from floor* Those Blue-eyed Shag photos are incredible. I love the colors.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've never seen shags photographed so nicely! What beautiful eyes.

Can someone explain a little bit about ExecuDork's photos, and why some of them have a reddish aura around the gulls? Seems most prevalent in the third photo. Is that just a lens thing?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

I've never seen shags photographed so nicely! What beautiful eyes.

Can someone explain a little bit about ExecuDork's photos, and why some of them have a reddish aura around the gulls? Seems most prevalent in the third photo. Is that just a lens thing?
Looks like the lens has some pretty bad chromatic abberation. ExecuDork, on the ones with the most severe aura are those crops where the subject was on the edge of a picture?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's a 50-year-old lens: Takumar (old Pentax brand, back in the days when they couldn't decide if they wanted to be known as Asahi or Pentax or something else) 500m f/4.5

500mm f-4.5 (1 of 2) by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
500mm f-4.5 (2 of 2) by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

It's not multicoated and it does chromatic abberation like crazy. Yes, the most extreme examples are from the edges of the frame. The one landing with its wings out in a crucifixion pose was in the upper-left of the frame. It's also more noticeable with higher contrast edges; a white bird against a nearly-black shadowed concrete background is going to be pretty red/blue on its edges.

I've seen too many posts here and on blogs and other places to count about how chromatic abberation is "easy to fix in post" but that's simply not true in this case. That crucifix bird already has the saturation of blue and red (and adjacent colours) turned down 30% plus LR 3.6 sliders for CA set to either -100 or +100.

It's not nearly so bad under better conditions / better luck on my part. Old photo:
Western Grebe 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 15, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

It's a 50-year-old lens: Takumar (old Pentax brand, back in the days when they couldn't decide if they wanted to be known as Asahi or Pentax or something else) 500m f/4.5

500mm f-4.5 (1 of 2) by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
500mm f-4.5 (2 of 2) by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

It's not multicoated and it does chromatic abberation like crazy. Yes, the most extreme examples are from the edges of the frame. The one landing with its wings out in a crucifixion pose was in the upper-left of the frame. It's also more noticeable with higher contrast edges; a white bird against a nearly-black shadowed concrete background is going to be pretty red/blue on its edges.

I've seen too many posts here and on blogs and other places to count about how chromatic abberation is "easy to fix in post" but that's simply not true in this case. That crucifix bird already has the saturation of blue and red (and adjacent colours) turned down 30% plus LR 3.6 sliders for CA set to either -100 or +100.

It's not nearly so bad under better conditions / better luck on my part. Old photo:
Western Grebe 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I don't know if you use photoshop for post-processing but this guide will probably work well for the type of aberration in your shots: https://prodpi.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201992340-How-To-Remove-Chromatic-Aberration-in-Photoshop

Also, the results you get from that lens are incredible.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah, no kidding. Amazing!

Thanks for the explanation, too.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

That lens is indeed a bitch.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

What did that lens cost?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Rotten Cookies posted:

That lens is indeed a bitch.
Rotten Cookies speaks from experience here - I know he's got the exact same monster as me.

Pablo Bluth posted:

What did that lens cost?
I paid about $500 for my 500mm 4.5 years ago; I bought it through PentaxForums from somebody in the upper midwest (can't remember if it was Michigan or Minnesota), shipping to Saskatoon was about $40. In my opinion, $1/mm, maximum aperture f/4.5, and no ring-shaped bokeh is a good deal. From what I've seen, that's the cheapest possible supertele option longer than 400mm.* Improvements - and I'm going to upgrade eventually - start with things like proper multicoating (starting with 30-40 year old versions of this lens in K-mount; mine is m42) and eventually autofocus (25-30 year old at the oldest). The Sigma Bigma (50-500mm f/6.3 at the long end) is what you're probably going to be looking at for a budget point of $1000 and a willingness to accept f/6.3 as the cost of getting AF and an enormous zoom range. Primes seem to jump to 600mm around the year 2000, coinciding with early DSLRs. Pentax didn't get into that game until just a couple of years ago with their HD-560mm f/5.6, selling new for about $6000. The used market for these monsters is small but steady - you can't necessarily find exactly what you're looking for right away, but if you're patient something will show up within a month or two. That's how I got mine, I just ran a quick search on eBay and PentaxForum about once a week, this one showed up after 3 or 4 weeks.

I *can* shoot this thing hand-held, but not well. I took the series of gulls shots sitting down and resting my hand under the tripod mount on my knee. I had left my tripod in my truck, foolishly. Focusing required some awkward fumbling, holding the lens steady with my left hand and focusing with my right while squinting through the viewfinder. I bought a cheap gimbal mount for $100 through dealextreme, it gets the job done.

The prices I'm describing here are based on what I've personally seen for sale at various times and places - if you find a better deal, go for it!

* I'm completely disregarding the cheap brandname-of-the-week 650-1300mm nonsense you can easily find on eBay. F/8 maximum aperture is unusuable, in my opinion. Those gulls were shot at f/8 but most of the time I can barely squeeze out 1/250s shots (TOO SLOW but I do it anyways because I'm dumb and I learn very slowly) at f/5.6. The CA at f/4.5 is amazingly bad - everything glows!

InternetJunky posted:

Also, the results you get from that lens are incredible.
Thank you very much! Coming from you, that means a lot!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 15, 2016

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

And yes, they are very good pictures, I know you're up against a lot. I've done some awkward shooting without a tripod by having the lens rest on my knees, with my left hand doing focus and aperture. Not ideal. I also tried putting a cheap 2x behind it and just lol. Cropping does much better for me with that. As was said before, for the reach, no ring-bokeh, and price, this is great if you go in knowing the limitations.

These remain probably the best shots I got from that lens. Being in the comfort of my own yard helps. Still got chromatic aberration, but I can deal with it. I haven't used my camera seriously in a while because of work, but I do live vicariously through this thread, and have hope that one day work will let up.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's a shame that either Tamron nor Sigma have released their 150-600 options in k-mount. Pentax do tend to offer a lot for their prices, but it seems to me that it's much harder to make a case for them for somebody who needs long telephoto options. It's a shame even their 150-450mm 4.5-5.6 is on the high side compared to what those of us on the Canikon dark side have to pay for the equivalents.