Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mike N Eich posted:

Every time there's a scene with Maeve and the two chucklehead engineers I wonder why she has the upper hand in these interactions and why those two don't just wipe her. I get that Felix (?) has a certain attraction and sympathy with her, but she really has no power over them if they just stop letting her pick up more and more memories, and/or report her upwards.

It's the only thing in the show that makes me scratch my head.

But it does seems like she became immune to commands and memory wipe (last episode she was still moving when all robots were frozen; and we know that the daily memory reset is not doing anything to her for a while), so it aint that easy. They could use that behavior login they have to make her dumb and loyal, but then again it would be noticed by higher ups when she is acting weird on her loop.

The upper hand she got is basically that she can denounce then at any time and then they would be immediately fired. She would be hosed too, but she knows she is basically hosed anyway. Felix is a virgin goon and is clearly incapable of saying no to her, and Sylvester got dragged along because she knew about him pimping hosts. And now they are both too deep into poo poo, and if she goes rogue or starts talking, they are toasted

What really bothers me is the fact they are able to chat with her and take her for walks inside the facility without no one noticing. Their room (like every room) as loving glass walls, there are cameras everywhere, and if they are that worried about their IP, security would be a lot tighter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Bernard could have theoretically figured everything out any number of times too, only to have ford reset him.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fargo Fukes posted:

The real sad part will be when they bring back "Clementine" with the same name and all the same lines but played by a different host, like Papa Abernathy.

Goddammit.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure Felix is in love with Maeve, he was fascinated with her from the get go and on top of that she's a stunning beauty with a kick-rear end attitude and 18 charisma; he doesn't want to turn her in because he doesn't want anything bad to happen to her. We constantly see people getting attached to the hosts in this show, people practically can't help but get physically attached to them, even when they're constantly reminded they're (supposedly) just elaborate mechanical real-dolls, it doesn't matte really, the brain reacts to them in a carnal level.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Who has control of Bernard's code? Presumably Ford. But Ford says he doesn't know how everything works. Did he build Bernarnold from scratch or did he incorporate some of Arnold's designs?

I'll repeat myself (sorry) but I think this is explained by the fact that the hosts replicate organic processes which in themselves are not fully understood by Ford. I think Arnold was originally responsible for the design of the host brains and hidden a few secrets in there but that on top of that neither he nor Ford ever had a real comprehensive understanding of how the brains actually work, they basically reverse-engineered human cognition, they didn't create it from scratch.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 15, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
But there are host sliders and, presumably, host source code. Who controls his sliders? Is it just Ford or are there others (such as Arnold) who do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Here's my theory: Every scene is its own timeline.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Here's my theory: Every scene is its own timeline.

Scene order means nothing obviously so this is true

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In media res, doesn't exist people. You heard it here first.

Who controls his sliders?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Here's my theory: JJ Abrams and company got a camera that can just view into other parralel worlds and they are just filming whats happening there. The story comes together in editing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

I won't believe this until Bernard invents penicillin.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

But there are host sliders and, presumably, host source code. Who controls his sliders? Is it just Ford or are there others (such as Arnold) who do.

I'd assume that nobody has access to Bernard's controllers (or knows that he's a host) other than Ford. We already know that there's a security system with staff privileges etc. There's the question of whether the "bicameral operator" can hack Bernard like he did other hosts though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I won't believe this until Bernard invents penicillin.
I get this reference. :hfive:

I only watched like the first 2 seasons when they aired.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's probably deeper than the writers thought about it. How do the tablets pair up to a host? Since the hosts are so realistic, you'd think people would start trying to pair up to their friends to see if they are hosts.

Edit: I want a scene where two people trick a new person. One guy tells the new person "you never know who's actually real and who is a host." Then he pulls out the tablet and puts the other guy in sleep mode or something.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 15, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cojawfee posted:

That's probably deeper than the writers thought about it. How do the tablets pair up to a host? Since the hosts are so realistic, you'd think people would start trying to pair up to their friends to see if they are hosts.

Edit: I want a scene where two people trick a new person. One guy tells the new person "you never know who's actually real and who is a host." Then he pulls out the tablet and puts the other guy in sleep mode or something.

Yeah, also I would think that a lot of accidents would happen because of guests wrongly identifying other guests as hosts

I mean, fortunately the magic tech in the guns prevent then from hurting real humans, but what if a drunken host throws a chair or uses a knife on another guest thinking he is a robot

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Bernard probably was never a "real" person to begin with, or was a brain-scan profile of a deceased real person that Ford used to implant an employee that would give him insight to the goings on of the staff. I wouldn't doubt if Ford has seeded others like him into other positions, and infiltrated Delvos's board itself. I think it would be quite interesting, as this would open up more insight to how the host's minds are created and function.
Bernard being a Blade-Runner style replicant kind of falls in line with some of the homage the show runners exhibit, especially with the pictures of his son in his quarters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Do we have confirmation that there is a new Theresa host body?

Liked the revelation, as it played into the whole overarching theme of who is real, now that a Gippeto is revealed as a puppet, what then does it mean to be human at all? And like most well done twists, it opens up story-telling opportunities, rather than close them off.

Two timelines theory is still butt though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure the hosts have a subconscious overwatch program running that can easily identify who other hosts are. So while a host will kill another host, it will do just enough to scare a guest but then stop. I don't know how they would do that without breaking immersion though. What does worry me is accidents. They filled that one guy with nitroglycerin. What if something had happened and William was near the body when it exploded. That could kill him. It's not that people can't die, it's that a host will not willingly murder a guest. Unless the nitroglycerin was fake and that specific host has a "safe" explosive implanted in him for story purposes.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure the hosts have a subconscious overwatch program running that can easily identify who other hosts are. So while a host will kill another host, it will do just enough to scare a guest but then stop. I don't know how they would do that without breaking immersion though. What does worry me is accidents. They filled that one guy with nitroglycerin. What if something had happened and William was near the body when it exploded. That could kill him. It's not that people can't die, it's that a host will not willingly murder a guest. Unless the nitroglycerin was fake and that specific host has a "safe" explosive implanted in him for story purposes.
Why would they use actual nitro? Just have a safe explosive and a remote detonator, and you can pull off the illusion just fine.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I think the techies are going to have their hands full putting nitro guy back together.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Unless the nitroglycerin was fake and that specific host has a "safe" explosive implanted in him for story purposes.

This is what I assumed, remember when the control center had to approve the use of the charges in man in black's explosive cigars?

I also assume the good samaritan reflex Teddy displayed when the man in black pulled a knife on Ford kicks in on every host if a guest tries to harm another guest, would still require hosts to always be present for some kind of narrative though

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, also I would think that a lot of accidents would happen because of guests wrongly identifying other guests as hosts

I mean, fortunately the magic tech in the guns prevent then from hurting real humans, but what if a drunken host throws a chair or uses a knife on another guest thinking he is a robot

This poo poo happens, the vacation release on the website specifically references these sort of issues and says sign this because the park is not responsible.

e:

quote:

Statistically speaking, you are more likely to die from lightning strike than to die while in a Delos park. However, the following causes of accidental death have occurred within the Delos Destinations compound: buffalo stampede, self-cannibalism, accidental hanging, drowning, 3rd-degree burns, autoerotic asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, allergic reaction to non-native plant life, falling from great heights, common manslaughter, tumbleweeds.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 15, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Why would they use actual nitro? Just have a safe explosive and a remote detonator, and you can pull off the illusion just fine.

I covered that but it only works if that specific guy is chosen for the nitroglycerin. They have to make sure the army guys shoot Slim and that the guests bother to bring Slim back. Though maybe there's a backup guy with a bomb back at the whatever that can "get shot" accidentally and they can use him.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Cojawfee posted:

As someone else has said, people do accidentally die in the park plenty. The other thing is they have super intelligent computers calculating every possibility with an incredibly vast knowledge of physics, so they will be pretty good at harm reduction; they can use super smarts for improving a way to do stuff without breaking immersion anyway. I mean a kid got eaten by a crocodile at Disney Land or whatever, nothing's perfect.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I think Lawrence had more dead guy bombs than just Slim, he was dragging a few other horses along with him that had bodies draped over them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

rich thick and creamy posted:

Okay then, If the windows are filtering light from the surface, then the other possibility is that some interactions we have seen occurred during the day in which case the windows were visible. Other interactions occurred at night and due to no light to filter into the underground (and dramatic lighting for appealing shot composition) the windows were dark and in shadow. Again this is not evidence of two timelines.

I am agreeing with you?? I don't think there is two timelines and the bunkers are obviously different!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And rather speculate, I'd just want to say how extremely sad it was watching Bernard trying to react while Ford was talking. Flickers of consciousness fighting against his control, ultimately limited by his origin.

Even the robots that make other robots are ultimately things for the overlord. It has distinct marxist tones, the Hosts being the lumpenproletariat (hardly ever aware of their status), and Bernard being the petit bourgeourse (thinking that he is separate from them, while not having the means of production, and therefore being controlled.)

Also like how they over-emphasized the theme of the continuous rebirth of the Hosts giving them access to their previous lifes, very Buddhist, the Samsara being underline here.

And also liked (and was extremely saddened) by the idea that even true "human" life is a commodity to be traded and bargained by those in power, Theresa in the end being a tool for Ford to intimidate the Board. This has always been a faint theme for the show (William being shown as underneath Logan), and it'll be interesting to see whether William and Dolores both escape their restricting cycles.

Good good stuff, alot to chew on here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bernard being a robot and unable to see everything brings up some interesting questions.

When he looks at the robot code, can he not see certain pieces of code which might have been placed there maliciously? Likely
That degree of specificity in censoring isn't necessary. If we see a friend start to exhibit schizophrenia, we don't immediately wonder if we're also staring to crack. When exposed to the idea of a simulation universe, we don't immediately question the assumptions built on our perceived experiences.

Just because Bernard sees a hack doesn't mean he'll wonder if he's a host.

quote:

But was Clementine really reprogrammed for the demonstration?
We don't see any host adapting that quickly to the shreds of memories they have. We don't see anything that would lead us to believe Clem could turn on a dime like that with her normal personality.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cojawfee posted:

I covered that but it only works if that specific guy is chosen for the nitroglycerin. They have to make sure the army guys shoot Slim and that the guests bother to bring Slim back. Though maybe there's a backup guy with a bomb back at the whatever that can "get shot" accidentally and they can use him.

Well sure, if the two scenes were back to back. As it is, the park employees had at least a whole day to swap out the robot with a bomb wearing a skin suit.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The biggest two time lines hint to me is that William gets shot with a arguably more rudimentary non fatal bullet, whereas we see current guests aren't fazed at all by getting shot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

What really bothers me is the fact they are able to chat with her and take her for walks inside the facility without no one noticing. Their room (like every room) as loving glass walls, there are cameras everywhere, and if they are that worried about their IP, security would be a lot tighter

This doesn't hold true for the previous episode, but technicians taking robots for walks on that level has been shown to happen over and over again.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I wonder if El Lanzo is trying to blow a real hole in the wall of the park. Or if its part of the story.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

duz posted:

Well sure, if the two scenes were back to back. As it is, the park employees had at least a whole day to swap out the robot with a bomb wearing a skin suit.

Yeah anything involving a quest is probably planned out pretty specifically for maintenance ease. One question is, how are you supposed to end up on the train? I guess they failed that stage and Will was just lucky that Dolores ended up accidentally progressing the story.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shageletic posted:

This doesn't hold true for the previous episode, but technicians taking robots for walks on that level has been shown to happen over and over again.

Yeah, I was talking about when he dressed her up and took her for a spin on the higher levels, where he probably not even allowed to be on the first place

KoRMaK posted:

I wonder if El Lanzo is trying to blow a real hole in the wall of the park. Or if its part of the story.

Seems part of the big "war quest"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

The biggest two time lines hint to me is that William gets shot with a arguably more rudimentary non fatal bullet, whereas we see current guests aren't fazed at all by getting shot.

We've only seen that from the MiB though right?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

hobbesmaster posted:

We've only seen that from the MiB though right?

Yeah, MiB has been visiting for 30 years, he's likely been shot hundreds of times. He could just be shrugging them off.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm much more interested in MiB's hurry then him shrugging off bullets. I'm wondering what health problem is making him speed run the park.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

His sweet gear could be high level quest rewards, higher armor stats.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

JossiRossi posted:

Yeah, MiB has been visiting for 30 years, he's likely been shot hundreds of times. He could just be shrugging them off.
Perhaps, but you'd still see an impact you'd think.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
HOLY FUCKBALLS BERNARD IS A HOSTdasjkfhsaj FAJskHFGskdjaHGdaghdoa. God dam this show keeps getting better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My theory is that Bernard is not a host. He and Ford just like to roleplay and they also hate Theresa.

• Locked thread