Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Reinanigans posted:

Ditto doesn't show up until Island 3, though, so females are still needed for early bred starters.

This is all irrelevant because there are people who've finished the game days ago and can breed whatever and spread them around.

That's my hope, anyway. I need a Rowlett egg ASAP.
Oh, sweet. Need one of those to breed stuff like Drampa for Sun. And possibly Mimikyu, seeing as it shows up a bit later than I was hoping.
<- my team

mabels big day posted:

Does Alolan Marowak still get Thick Club as an item?
I really do hope so. I also hope that said item shows up before the lategame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't been following the thread too closely because I simultaneously want to avoid spoilers, but I'm too thirsty for knowledge to stay away entirely - I saw someone say that you don't need to breed for IVs anymore - and something about it being part of hyper training @ level 100.

How exactly does this work? Does Hyper Training just let you max out IVs as you please? Is there an easy way to do EVs? What does the path to a perfect mon look like now? Breeding for nature and egg moves more or less unchanged?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oxyclean posted:

I haven't been following the thread too closely because I simultaneously want to avoid spoilers, but I'm too thirsty for knowledge to stay away entirely - I saw someone say that you don't need to breed for IVs anymore - and something about it being part of hyper training @ level 100.

How exactly does this work? Does Hyper Training just let you max out IVs as you please? Is there an easy way to do EVs? What does the path to a perfect mon look like now? Breeding for nature and egg moves more or less unchanged?

So Hyper training doesn't actually increase IVs, it won't affect hidden power type for instance or what the pokemon passes down when breeding, it just sets the pokemon's stats to be equivalent to having a 31 IV in one stat (bronze bottlecap) or all (silver bottlecap) stats.

EVs have a new minigame attached. Super training and hordes are gone so its not as easy to start EV training, but once you get the new systems rolling its pretty fast.

The biggest things you need are natures and egg moves now, yeah. Also makes Hidden power way less of a pain in the rear end and really easy to get. Just breed random eggs for nature until you get one with the correct hidden power type and then Hyper Train it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Oxyclean posted:

1. Yes, it does, you just can't do it for a pokemon unless they're level 100. You use a "bottlecap" to simulate it having 31IVs, it does not actually change the base IV for breeding purposes.
2. Power <x> now gives 8 EVs instead of 4, you can chain support calls in wild battles in lieu of hordes this gen.

Breeding for nature and egg moves, and if the build calls for it, you'll have to breed for a 0IV in Attack/Speed as required.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Why does Famitsu even do reviews anymore? Honest question.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bogart posted:

Why does Famitsu even do reviews anymore? Honest question.

Because japan doesn't have a massive ~"games journalism"~ scene, so it's legit still a place where casual hobbyists go to read impressions about video games.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My primary complaint with this gen is that is has a lot of non-standard, sort of obtuse evolutions. Crabrawler is one of the first pokes you can catch but you can't evolve it until the final island. He's level 45 and still in his first form for me, and my charjabuss(?) is in the same situation

This is good because Crabrawler is objectively superior to his evo. I might just slap an eviolite on him.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

EVs have a new minigame attached. Super training and hordes are gone so its not as easy to start EV training, but once you get the new systems rolling its pretty fast.
Aw, no more hordes? Darn.
Well, whatever. I'll probably handle most of my breeding back in ORAS, due to the move tutors it has. Unless, of course, they have a postgame area similar to the Battle Resort in SuMo.

Though, speaking of wild pokemon encounters: please tell me they kept some of the general improvements they implemented in ORAS - some wild pokemon having egg moves, being able to scan for a specific pokemon that you've already caught before, etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blaziken386 posted:

Aw, no more hordes? Darn.
Well, whatever. I'll probably handle most of my breeding back in ORAS, due to the move tutors it has. Unless, of course, they have a postgame area similar to the Battle Resort in SuMo.

Though, speaking of wild pokemon encounters: please tell me they kept some of the general improvements they implemented in ORAS - some wild pokemon having egg moves, being able to scan for a specific pokemon that you've already caught before, etc.

No, DexNAV is gone.

There's a new system where a pokemon can 'call for help' from something else in the same species in the local encounter table. The called pokemon get more and more likely to have higher IVs and Hidden Abilities. There can only be two in a battle with you at a time but as you knock one out, the other can continue calling for help.

It also lets you do stupid stuff like catch level 10 Salamence on the first island.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Emalde posted:

1. Yes, it does, you just can't do it for a pokemon unless they're level 100. You use a "bottlecap" to simulate it having 31IVs, it does not actually change the base IV for breeding purposes.
2. Power <x> now gives 8 EVs instead of 4, you can chain support calls in wild battles in lieu of hordes this gen.

Breeding for nature and egg moves, and if the build calls for it, you'll have to breed for a 0IV in Attack/Speed as required.

Also in some cases Hidden Power. and now that you can mostly ignore IVs, unless you specifically want a zero, that's a lot more doable. Even then, as long as you want at most one zero, that's still easy.

(Hyper training does not change Hidden Power because it doesn't actually change the IVs IIUC).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

No, DexNAV is gone.
:shepicide:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there at least some way to track if you've caught all the pokemon in an area?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Oxyclean posted:

Is there at least some way to track if you've caught all the pokemon in an area?

Nope. You can fill up island pokedexes but that's for whole islands, not just one area.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Why did Game Freak never fix the obvious venomoth/butterfree mixup? I mean it's too late now, but still. Have they ever at least admitted the mistake?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Walrus Pete posted:

Why did Game Freak never fix the obvious venomoth/butterfree mixup?

Similarly, they never corrected Azurill's typing either

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Zore posted:

No, DexNAV is gone.

That and character customization have probably been my favorite new features.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Walrus Pete posted:

Why did Game Freak never fix the obvious venomoth/butterfree mixup? I mean it's too late now, but still. Have they ever at least admitted the mistake?

No, and I'm not sure if that was a mistake. We'll probably never know for sure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Or how about Psyduck and Golduck having their names switched

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

less laughter posted:

Similarly, they never corrected Azurill's typing either

Azurill is Normal because it's a baby water mouse that isn't very good at using water yet. Makes perfect sense.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arcland posted:

That and character customization have probably been my favorite new features.

At least the latter's in, right?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Supremezero posted:

At least the latter's in, right?

That's what others have said. I was dissapointed they didn't shoehorn it into ORAS. Especially since the beauty contests are a big part of the game anyway.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Last Celebration posted:

Azurill is Normal because it's a baby water mouse that isn't very good at using water yet. Makes perfect sense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The bigger issue with Azurill was

quote:

because Azurill's gender ratio does not match that of its evolved forms and its evolution is not dependent on gender, being female 75% of the time while Marill and Azumarill are female only 50% of the time, female Azurill has a 1/3 chance of evolving into a male Marill (depending on its personality value).

Which was finally fixed in Gen VI

Also Nidorina and Nidoqueen still can't breed because...?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Speaking of Azurill, what happened to it in Gen V?

It used to be a happy little critter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zore posted:

They're voluntary incel

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Pakled posted:

Or how about Psyduck and Golduck having their names switched

:monocle:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dr. Fetus posted:

its gen V sprites actually look the most like its Sugimori art

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dr. Fetus posted:

it's sad because the gen v wiggle stretchy sprites are bad

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Golduck has the same name is Japanese, where gold is associated with psychic power (such as the Marsh Badge being the Gold Badge and the Gold Gummi being favoured by Psychic types). So I'm guessing its name was to say that it had mastered it power from Koduck (ko meaning child), even though it's not really gold.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Zore posted:

No, DexNAV is gone.

WHY!!!????

Edit: seriously, just, what the gently caress!? God DAMNIT Gamefreak!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Zore posted:

They've gone through menopause.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

WHY!!!????

Edit: seriously, just, what the gently caress!? God DAMNIT Gamefreak!

i literally do not understand why anyone expected differently.

remember the cell phone? trainer refights? gym leader refights? chaining? hordes? swarms? the dream world?

hell gen VI removed E4 refighting. Every time you fight they have the same team they always had! Something the series has ditched back in Gen 1.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Every new Pokemon game takes away a popular feature from the last one. It sucks, but as much money and talent is poured into these games, they don't have infinite resources and given the choice between recreating an old feature and adding a new feature it's probably better for the health of the series to add the new feature.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I genuinely didn't realise Azurill was Normal/Fairy nowadays. I thought they had just swapped Normal out for Fairy in Gen 6.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In all the strategy discussion I see elsewhere everyone is saying Trick Room is only 5 turns and no one mentions the item that extends terrain durations. Wasnt that supposed to affect TR now?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

In all the strategy discussion I see elsewhere everyone is saying Trick Room is only 5 turns and no one mentions the item that extends terrain durations. Wasnt that supposed to affect TR now?

It does.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yo is Growlithe in this game or what?

This will determine whether I take the owl or firecat in the beginning.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I am a scrub who doesn't understand how terrain works, doesn't Trick Room being terrain mean that the Tapu pokemon will cancel out trick room on switch in?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Soul Glo posted:

Yo is Growlithe in this game or what?

This will determine whether I take the owl or firecat in the beginning.

Yes, Growlithe is available pretty early on.

At least in Moon, I dunno about Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pakled posted:

Yes, Growlithe is available pretty early on.

At least in Moon, I dunno about Sun.

Owl it is, thanks

e: It's not a version exclusive, is it?