Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mishaq posted:

you screen share via a video conference camera pointed at a projector screen? :stonk:

no no, not quite that bad. we were sharing a video via the tp and i moved in front of the screen for a moment not realizing it was active content, though there's something to be said about screen sharing a video over a tp system. im sure the remote guys have fun watching that slideshow fps on a tiny screen in a cubicle

oh, but we used to share content like that at one point by pointing a personal tp at a projector/whiteboard! I forgot about that month…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sometimes wed place the participant in a corner and pivot them around for parts of the conversation that required different teams in the room. think demolition man style but without the automation and more cisco branding. they also almost never saw anything on the projector because we all used printouts instead for most of the reviews

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
lol we interviewed a a candidate in a remote office today and the s4b machine in our conf room bluescreened five minutes into it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

chmods please posted:

lol we interviewed a a candidate in a remote office today and the s4b machine in our conf room bluescreened five minutes into it

microsoft makes very bad software

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

ahmeni posted:

showing meeting titles is bad because people get petty as gently caress about meeting room reservations

guess i'm lucky to work in a small company where we have a vague idea of active projects? :shrug:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

microsoft makes very bad software

this has never been up for debate in my company, and yet we use windows on 100% of machines

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

lol if you don't have your own cmr on the collab edge shared on your sparkboard

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

install linux on the video conference machine, your boss is bound to reward your initiative with raises and promotions

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

install linux on the video conference machine, your boss is bound to reward your initiative with raises and promotions

at least you'll know why the audio isn't working

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ahmeni posted:

at least you'll know why the audio isn't working

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i set up a small conference today for some quick timing updates but it's been forwarded to like 15 additional people and i am not ok with this

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

i set up a small conference today for some quick timing updates but it's been forwarded to like 15 additional people and i am not ok with this

enjoy you are 1 hr meeting

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Podima posted:

enjoy you are 4 hr meeting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ahmeni posted:

dumpster keurig

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
a few pages back there was talk about retraining users from bad software. when i did contracting for the provincial government their users had a pathological fear of the back button in their browsers from years and years of lovely webapps that couldn't handle it. they always always requested a soft back links for everything and were wary when i would tell them "you know you can just use the back button right?"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

leftist heap posted:

a few pages back there was talk about retraining users from bad software. when i did contracting for the provincial government their users had a pathological fear of the back button in their browsers from years and years of lovely webapps that couldn't handle it. they always always requested a soft back links for everything and were wary when i would tell them "you know you can just use the back button right?"

one of our applications breaks horribly if you hit tab, so every user here is deathly afraid of it and watching them navigate entry fields in IE is nightmarish.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

leftist heap posted:

enterprise application induced ptsd, lmao

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
there are nowhere near enough rooms in this building to do things like phone interviews. so you just wander around and around if the one closet is taken, some sort of voip based Flying Dutchman

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

mishaq posted:

enterprise application induced ptsd, lmao

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i'll write about the coffee room wars when i have a bit more time

in one of our conference rooms the facilities techs couldnt be bothered to install a projector screen so they marked where the projector hits the wall with a blue painters tape rectangle, also they hosed up the wiring so now the conference table is permanently attached to a wall

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

av installers are the loving worst

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mad Wack posted:

in one of our conference rooms the facilities techs couldnt be bothered to install a projector screen so they marked where the projector hits the wall with a blue painters tape rectangle

several of our team rooms are like this except with the border drawn in marker on the white board

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

i'll write about the coffee room wars when i have a bit more time

in one of our conference rooms the facilities techs couldnt be bothered to install a projector screen so they marked where the projector hits the wall with a blue painters tape rectangle, also they hosed up the wiring so now the conference table is permanently attached to a wall

carry on then posted:

several of our team rooms are like this except with the border drawn in marker on the white board

what kind of trashy places do you people work at jesus christ

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

mishaq posted:

maybe its because im in the rust belt but neither of those stories even made me blink

from what ive seen the literal norm in most conference rooms is audio/video equipment that just plain doesnt work

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

DaTroof posted:

maybe its because im in the rust belt but neither of those stories even made me blink

from what ive seen the literal norm in most conference rooms is audio/video equipment that just plain doesnt work

this includes a local tv/radio station owned by nbc. i got called in as a consultant to help them stream their poo poo on their website. we had a meeting in their building, and they couldn't get their own live tv stream to work in their own conference room. the stream that was coming from a studio less than 100 feet from us

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

all three of the conference rooms on this floor now have inactive or non-working phone conferencing. Over the course of the year we've seen it's failed and rescheduled our weekly team meeting in one, then another, and finally the largest 20 person room

we walk in there today and the ipad thing is broken, good job telecommunications company your IT is worthless, now we have to go to another floor like refugees
Update, the conferencing setup is still broken after two months in all 3 conference rooms on the 6th floor, we continue to go up or down the stairs for meetings like refugees

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 17, 2016

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

half the time the problems, for us, are people treating the cables like poo poo so they just break and since theyre almost exclusively vga so ever clunky hp from 2005 can still project in every room theyre prone to all the usual pin issues too

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

last job we got one of those big fancy interactive white boards and only the summer interns were trained how to use it. years it went completely unused covered in the wrong kind of marker

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Cat Face Joe posted:

last job we got one of those big fancy interactive white boards and only the summer interns were trained how to use it. years it went completely unused covered in the wrong kind of marker

we have two of those. One is in our "Innovation Lab", which means fancy conference room with Ikea furniture that is also not on the normal IT floor, and is covered in signs not to use normal markers on it and to see such-and-such for training. it goes untouched.

the other is in a small, unlisted conference room. exactly one person in the org, who was the evangelist for them in the first place, knows how to use it and does so. facilities otherwise painted the back wall of that room in whiteboard paint, so everyone else uses that.

when that guy does have a session in there, everyone who's never seen it in use before oohs and aahs at it, and then ignores it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

a fortune 50 global enterprise

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we started painting some of our walls with whiteboard paint. it has gone predictably

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bloody posted:

we started painting some of our walls with whiteboard paint. it has gone predictably

this isn't something that is predictable

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

indigi posted:

lol, just lol

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

indigi posted:

well i mean, my prediction would be walls that look like a preschool because people will start writing on the walls assuming they've been whiteboard-painted and welp

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

mishaq posted:

lol that's nothing, when I was in college, I used to work for a start-up in Idaho that took up residence in one of the cheaper business buildings

one of my duties was to vacuum up all the dead flies

we had a full bag of the fuckers after a week

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol the building never told you to Get Out did it? :o:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol the building never told you to Get Out did it? :o:

idgi

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ghosts.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Arcsech posted:

well i mean, my prediction would be walls that look like a preschool because people will start writing on the walls assuming they've been whiteboard-painted and welp

A few years back I visited an ASU satellite campus that had this "innovation hub"/incubator space. Whiteboards set into the walls all over the place, tons of those little adhesive marker trays stuck everywhere. Problem was that the regular walls were also glossy white. Every vertical surface in the building had a little red or green label that told you if this particular square meter of wall was ok to draw on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Bloody posted:

most of our whiteboards are just whiteboard paint, BUT they're also pretty well delineated and have metal marker/eraser trays mounted to the wall below them at least.

• Locked thread