Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The notion that helping the working class somehow means selling out minorities is retarded, and is being pushed by people desperately trying to find ANY reason not to have their incomes redistributed (see, the white liberals posting at work in this thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Darkman Fanpage posted:

"Guys, I told you, I only did all this to sell books. Stop asking me to do actual work."

Oh god, I just bought Bernie's book. What if he's on the Carson plan?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Radbot posted:

The notion that helping the working class somehow means selling out minorities is retarded, and is being pushed by people desperately trying to find ANY reason not to have their incomes redistributed (see, the white liberals posting at work in this thread)

trumpfaces.gif

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

Democrats lose by putting up candidates that suck and run against their opponent rather than for something.

This isn't to say that the power of the conservative media apparatus should be discounted. Talk radio, Breitbart, etc, all distort actual media and reporting. When Facebook can't properly filter out right-wing bullshit from actual news because conservatives start screaming that the big evil liberal media is trying to silence their right to vomit bullshit everywhere, there's a problem. The media isn't entirely blameless in this -- they're the ones who gave Trump all the free advertising he could have ever wanted because it was good ratings and money.

Yes, the hardcore right-wing lives in a reality-proof bubble where facts have no sway. The issue isn't in reaching them because they're not going to vote for Democrats. The issue is in preventing their bullshit from infecting the information that the rest of the country gets.

It doesn't infect them though. The Republicans aren't gaining any voters in the presidential election. The combo anger over Obama and Hillary and all the stuff they've been hyping for the last 8 years...has had them at 60M voters for 3 elections. And that's 3 elections with 3 very different Republican candidates.

And I don't buy Breitbart or anyone is discussing enough at the local level that they're the cause of Republican's state level success- I believe that's almost 100% them dedicating resources and building an infrastructure to do it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thoguh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llRmyRgmshM

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Thoguh posted:

what if bernie is carson in a mask? no one would suspect the democratic firebrand to be the guy who's strung out on horse tranqs.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
reminder to call your reps office and ask when they will make a statement about Steve Bannon

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

NumberLast posted:

Yes, but we might have an actual opposition now rather than the options of bad and worse.

I told y'all you'd come around to accelerationism.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

resar posted:

what if bernie is carson in a mask? no one would suspect the democratic firebrand to be the guy who's strung out on horse tranqs.

What if the Carson downers were to smooth out the Bernie uppers?

SMP
May 5, 2009

VT Dems site is pathetic. They're either not holding any public meetings or they've hidden their schedule entirely. Can't find anything on social media either.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

lol if anyone actually tries to push 'no no we need BIDEN and guys like him'. Like, that would just straight up be an admission that the only issue they had with Clinton was gender based then.

It's not about gender, it's about authenticity in connecting to people. Biden has it, Hillary doesn't.

Biden's authentic as gently caress, comparatively broke as gently caress for a politician, and doesn't give off the robotic controlled air that Hillary does, even if he's more centrist than both Clintons combined. Biden tears up talking about his son, gets visibly angry talking about the troops he's visited who got blown up, calls things a big loving deal. Hillary would never do that, and I realize that Hillary wanted to moderate herself to avoid the crazy woman card. Seriously, more genuine "Hillary talking about going to space, freaking out at balloons and brushing her shoulder during a bullshit Congressional hearing", less focus tested "dangerous Donald" bullshit and paling around with celebrities.

Given the choice between Trump and the most centrist that ever centered a center, it would still be a win for Democrats because it's not Trump.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

It's not about gender, it's about authenticity in connecting to people. Biden has it, Hillary doesn't.

Biden's authentic as gently caress, comparatively broke as gently caress for a politician, and doesn't give off the robotic controlled air that Hillary does, even if he's more centrist than both Clintons combined. Biden tears up talking about his son, gets visibly angry talking about the troops he's visited who got blown up, calls things a big loving deal. Hillary would never do that, and I realize that Hillary wanted to moderate herself to avoid the crazy woman card. Seriously, more genuine "Hillary talking about going to space, freaking out at balloons and brushing her shoulder during a bullshit Congressional hearing", less focus tested "dangerous Donald" bullshit and paling around with celebrities.

Given the choice between Trump and the most centrist that ever centered a center, it would still be a win for Democrats because it's not Trump.

His son died, and all that went out the window because he was a literal wreck. Understandably.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

If by offset you mean "win elections in spite of", then yes. If you mean "reach crazy people" then no.

Liberals have lived in fear of conservative media for decades. When Al Gore lost, people in part chalked it up to the power of right wing radio. When Kerry lost? Swiftboated.

Somehow the Kenyan Muslim with terrorist teachers and America hating pastor won in 2008 with like 10M votes though.

In 2016, Republicans fired full on against the evil they'd wanted to fight for almost 25 years: Hillary Clinton. They fought and fought and... got the same ~60M votes they've gotten in the past 2 elections.

Democrats run utter bores with no message and have for at least the past 8 years let the DNC fall apart. Yet still they get more votes in total than Republicans in the presidential election, and their losses in key states chalks more to people not showing up or being so uninspired that they go 3rd party than anything else.

Breitbart is like the 130th most popular site in the US. It's got a small captive audience of dummies. It's a meaningless sideshow.

I will admit, i wish we did have a LWM equivilent. We used to have a pretty liberal radio network though that got shut down.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

redneck nazgul posted:

, comparatively broke as gently caress for a politician,

I remember that news article about Biden thinking he's middle class because he doesn't own a plane

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nonsense posted:

His son died, and all that went out the window because he was a literal wreck. Understandably.

Biden's been through far more poo poo than anyone else in Washington, and he's still an optimistic hopeful guy at the end of it.

I want him to go out, help people, and do sick burnouts without the weight of the world on his shoulders because if anyone's earned it, he has.

I'm just saying that saying that Biden could have won against Trump is not a misogynistic attack on Hillary.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

redneck nazgul posted:

isn't the point of this to get someone who's more polished AND more progressive? Biden is to the right of her on multiple issues. If he's your icon for what we need more of you're just coming at it from a completely wrong way

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Stewart once referring to him as Joe "Still Takes the Motherfucking Train to Work" Biden was very endearing.

But Biden himself isn't someone I actually want to be president so that endearment only goes so far.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

SMP posted:

VT Dems site is pathetic. They're either not holding any public meetings or they've hidden their schedule entirely. Can't find anything on social media either.

I'm assuming most people posting on this website are under 50 and so you might want to look into the "Young Democrats" orgs in your state. If you live near an urban area, there's a chance they have monthly meetups where you can just get a beer and chill with Democrats and see what's up.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
biden looks good in aviators, therefore he should be prez

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

Stewart once referring to him as Joe "Still Takes the Motherfucking Train to Work" Biden was very endearing.

But Biden himself isn't someone I actually want to be president so that endearment only goes so far.

Yea to be clear I like Biden a ton and think he was a great VP and when they were saying he may Clinton's Secretary of State nod I was 100% into that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea to be clear I like Biden a ton and think he was a great VP and when they were saying he may Clinton's Secretary of State nod I was 100% into that.

Is there a reason he didn't run?

Oh, right.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

lol if anyone actually tries to push 'no no we need BIDEN and guys like him'. Like, that would just straight up be an admission that the only issue they had with Clinton was gender based then.

You aren't real

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
No the actual solution to this problem was to elect the guy I can't mention because the mods here threw in with the wrong crowd

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Other than being in mourning over his son, Biden also had a hard time arguing he's hope and change considering he's been Obama's VP for the last four years. As much as Hillary was "neoliberal status quo is golden", Biden could have been hit just as hard.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Progressive: We need to address issues that affect working class individuals, including white working class individuals.
Liberal: Okay, please stress the "white" part constantly.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The entire argument against He Who Shall Not Be Named was "b-b-but universal healthcare would also help whites, therefore, it is racist"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Democrats are suicidal. They want to die.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't like Biden on the issues, but I think he would have had a better shot at winning the general because he (a) came off as a human being and (b) didn't have the exact perfect baggage for Donald Trump to exploit like Hillary did

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

loquacius posted:

I don't like Biden on the issues, but I think he would have had a better shot at winning the general because he (a) came off as a human being and (b) didn't have the exact perfect baggage for Donald Trump to exploit like Hillary did

Also, you see, he is a man and misogyny would not be a factor, which was the main reason Hillary lost.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We really need to get people thinking about class solidarity. The problem is, I'm not sure there are any symbols for that which aren't a hammer and sickle. Is there a progressive version of the Don't Tread on Me snake flag? Maybe something in blue?

Also: What is the best way to support strikers? Just like...a fuckload of doughnuts and coffee? Gatorade if it's hot? I'd carry a sign, but I don't think that's allowed if I'm not actually a member.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm sure this has been covered several times over, but is it worth it to push on the 2018 elections (maybe not to the point of burning out the party) or just prep for 2020?

My initial uneducated thoughts are to position progressive left candidates across the country in 2018 with no expectations but to build a coalition. Is that untenable?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Democrats should all move to colorado then.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

NumberLast posted:

You aren't real

Its pretty consistent actually

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

loquacius posted:

What did Jaime Harrison do, I avoided C-SPAM from July until November so I don't know this stuff

he wasn't mentioned in C-SPAM at all from July to November because we were wasted as poo poo, linking yt songs :q: It was actually a good time to be in c-spam if you weren't completely bitter and taking poo poo way too seriously because even the hillary thread was somewhat trollable and didn't have a zealot crushing any dissenters after august.

thats the only memo you can get because i barely remember july to november~ :ocelot:

he's only mentioned now because of the aftermath of the DNC and insider failure.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

100 degrees Calcium posted:

we're nihilists, lebowski

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I would have trusted Biden to continue the Obama policies at some baseline level but it's sort of beside the point now, his chance has come and gone.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

We really need to get people thinking about class solidarity. The problem is, I'm not sure there are any symbols for that which aren't a hammer and sickle. Is there a progressive version of the Don't Tread on Me snake flag? Maybe something in blue?

Also: What is the best way to support strikers? Just like...a fuckload of doughnuts and coffee? Gatorade if it's hot? I'd carry a sign, but I don't think that's allowed if I'm not actually a member.

People were adopting the tweety bird for something like this during the latter half of the primary (see: NumberLast's avatar). I still like that as a symbol for the Sanders wing of the party and I think we should bring it back.

also I think there are Hunger Games references to be made and coastal liberals love that poo poo

e: Hunger Games references for the blue states, Looney Tunes t-shirts for the red states

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

we're nihilists, lebowski

they still missed the memo on that too :o:

*twists top off flask and takes a swig*

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Oh hey, look at this:

We need to push this kind of thing hard.

Beachcomber has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I went to my County dem website and gave them my email with a request for volunteering info

I'm not loving knocking on doors tho

• Locked thread