Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B B
Dec 1, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It seems to me that the DNC is taking all of the right steps so far toward getting their poo poo together. The fact that Hillary remains underground speaks volumes IMO.

I just called the office of the VA DNC Chairwoman to express similar support. They said that they haven't yet made any decisions regarding who to support for the DNC elections as there are still candidates who may announce, but that they've gotten similar calls. Make sure to call your local office, y'all. Info here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S7w8tvS0NWA3AX8JdFjZLLAW7f_S4hp2T3416ttjBtg/edit#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

readingatwork posted:

Counterpoint: gently caress the people that got Obama elected too.

Obama rocks. I don't see how you could get better in the real world. Even the sainted Bernie would have compromised and done things you wouldn't have liked.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ Obama sucks for most of the same reasons Hillary sucked. He just puts a better face on it.

paranoid randroid posted:

so at this point, who are we not mad at

Anyone who seems even half serious about helping people over donors.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Kris Kobach getting vetted for AG. What have we loving done....

“If you really want to create a job tomorrow, you can remove an illegal alien today.”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

readingatwork posted:

I, too, think that black people are the enemies of the party, and further still desire to not win the Presidency for another 30 years.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

readingatwork posted:

Countercounterpoint: For all of his flaws, Obama actually woke the left up in this country. Show me a world where a social democrat almost gets the democratic nomination in 2016 when Clinton wins in 2008

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I'd argue the opposite.....that we should reduce the influence of California and New York in Democratic primaries. That is part of the liberal elite echo chamber that took over the party and dismissed WI, MI, and PA as flyover country.

California's primary isn't until June, by the time the primary campaigns get here, the frontrunner is usually decided.

although it was kinda bullshit that the AP called the primary election the night before our primary

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Martin Random posted:

Did it ever occur to anyone that the current rift is because occupy wall Street, a populist economic justice movement, was systematically dismantled and turned into a social justice movement by activists interested in that instead. Occupy was the first exposure I ever really had to social justice in a protest, and I saw a lot of white working people, politically conscious for the first time, getting their first whiff of the discourse that had become central to our politics right now. They were exposed to university students introducing progressive stack to give minorities more of a voice, and all kinds of well meaning but utterly unworkable non hierarchical procedural rules governed over the lumpenproletariat by the college kids. I think that caused the rift we're seeing today, and why a certain demographic backed away and is not reengaging with the left.

A lot of the stuff done to coopt the movement severely alienated people, possibly permanently.

Then the name got changed to decolonize wall Street and the future trumpkins walked away confused, forever turned off to progressive activism.

Ring true at all to anyone?

Occupy was dismantled by the cops and by Bloomberg, not internally.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
occupy was flawed from the start because without any kind of hierarchy or fixed agenda it was just a contest to see who could be most passionate

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
California really doesnt have all that much influence on the selection of candidates, and i dont think that railing against us as out of touch elites is particularly productive

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I'd argue the opposite.....that we should reduce the influence of California and New York in Democratic primaries. That is part of the liberal elite echo chamber that took over the party and dismissed WI, MI, and PA as flyover country.

The solution to people voting for The Ideologically Incorrect Candidate is not to disenfranchise the people jesus christ. Might as well run as a Republican and disenfranchise black people and poors because they'll just vote for handouts, if you just suppress their vote enough you can do things that will benefit them in the long run, really, they'll thank you for it eventually

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

I, too, think that black people are the enemies of the party, and further still desire to not win the Presidency for another 30 years.

Were the gently caress did this BS come from? Were talking about party operatives here.

Business Gorillas posted:

Countercounterpoint: For all of his flaws, Obama actually woke the left up in this country. Show me a world where a social democrat almost gets the democratic nomination in 2016 when Clinton wins in 2008

Yes and then he immediately betrayed those very same people and became diet GWB. gently caress him.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

boner confessor posted:

occupy was flawed from the start because without any kind of hierarchy or fixed agenda it was just a contest to see who could be most passionate

Occupy was homeless roleplay for college kids with trust funds.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

boner confessor posted:

occupy's fetish for being decentralized ended up with them getting coopted by ron paul supporters

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

the popes toes posted:

“If you really want to create a job tomorrow, you can remove an illegal alien today.”

Immigrants, even undocumented immigrants, spend money and pay taxes too. You can't escape sales taxes, which are a big part of most states' budgets.

Our economy is hosed because of a demand shortage. More people coming to America is awesome because they create demand. The problem is that instead of embracing them as legal immigrants covered by stronger labor laws so they would make real money and couldn't undercut wages, and thus would spend more money and create more demand, we let them languish as an underclass that have no rights.

Legal, protected immigration would contribute massively to our economy if everyone was protected by the same, more effective labor laws and wage floods that are stronger than what we have now. Kicking out all the brown people won't make them offer you not lovely wages and reduces the consumer base.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We should run primaries where only people WITHOUT photo id are allowed to vote.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Instant Sunrise posted:

occupy's fetish for being decentralized ended up with them getting coopted by ron paul supporters

Turns out bugfuck crazy libertarians are the mind control fungus of leftist initiatives.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Today in Trump's America, during my walking commute to the workplace, I only had 3 people lean out of their windows and yell things from their cars at me, I'm just writing it here now for reference as a data point for the same measurement a few months from now

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

readingatwork posted:

Were the gently caress did this BS come from? Were talking about party operatives here.

This person has been ranting about "white dudes" since the election. I'm guessing the BS came from inside their brain.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

readingatwork posted:

No, we were talking about "reducing the influence" of certain states in the Democratic primary process, which means reducing the weight those states' delegates have. The discussion you're thinking of is also happening, which is confusing, but if you're talking about the people who got Obama elected, it's black Democrats in the South, as well as white liberals in the upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/798585141148815360

ugh

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

crazy cloud posted:

Today in Trump's America, during my walking commute to the workplace, I only had 3 people lean out of their windows and yell things from their cars at me, I'm just writing it here now for reference as a data point for the same measurement a few months from now

For context, what were they yelling and for what reason, and in which part of the country?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why should we believe he'll be AG when they've gone through like 4 potential secretaries of state in the last 72 hours?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

Obama rocks. I don't see how you could get better in the real world. Even the sainted Bernie would have compromised and done things you wouldn't have liked.

He's deported immigrants at a rate higher than any other president combined. Among other things.

As a Latino it kinda bothers me my grandmother won't ever get to come back to the states.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

zegermans posted:

Hopefully Ellison gets some help from Dean, because while it's nice to have a figurehead, it would also help to have someone that has actually done what Ellison needs to do.

Dean could teach him how to do that yell; YEAHHHHHHHHH.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

greatn posted:

For context, what were they yelling and for what reason, and in which part of the country?

The combination of these posts gives me the image of a bored data entry clerk in a Hate Crimes Reporting Division. "we got another one bob put it up on the map. there's a pattern here i just know it, who is the zodiac racist"

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

Southwest, and who knows what or why, my hearing isn't great and I didn't have headphones on today :coffee:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Maarek posted:

This person has been ranting about "white dudes" since the election. I'm guessing the BS came from inside their brain.

Obama was the populist economic anxiety candidate in 2008. He was voted in by the very working class people here want to capture. That happens to include poor Southern black people, who are just as much working class people left behind with the addition of also getting poo poo on by white supremacy.

If you mean to purge the people in the party proper who supported Obama's reelection bid in 2012 that's most of the party in general.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Quorum posted:

No, we were talking about "reducing the influence" of certain states in the Democratic primary process, which means reducing the weight those states' delegates have. The discussion you're thinking of is also happening, which is confusing, but if you're talking about the people who got Obama elected, it's black Democrats in the South, as well as white liberals in the upper Midwest and Pacific Northwest.

yes, i too think we should further reduce the influence of the most populous state in the union

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

readingatwork posted:

Yes and then he immediately betrayed those very same people and became diet GWB. gently caress him.

This is exactly my point. 2008 was part one of a three part lesson that we can't trust the democrats to represent us, that we actually have to stop posting memes and actually seize the party for ourselves if we want to get things done. If you just sit back and let the powers that be do what they want, you'll just get more of the same bullshit you hate

Every year they grow weaker and we get stronger :bernin:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
also I'm really tired of weasely white progressives trying to use "Southern states" in scare quotes during the primary when what they really mean is "black people should have less influence in the Democratic primary process"

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Get outta here with this poo poo that's not what he meant

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Quorum posted:

its kind of silly because if we're reducing the red states influence for being too centrist, and CA and NY for being too elitist, that leaves, what, Oregon, Washington, and New England?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

crazy cloud posted:

Southwest, and who knows what or why, my hearing isn't great and I didn't have headphones on today :coffee:

It sounds like I'm speaking to someone of Hispanic descent - is that right?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im not ready for a party run by some New Hampshire beekeeper dude with weird concerns about cell phone radiation

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

He's deported immigrants at a rate higher than any other president combined. Among other things.

As a Latino it kinda bothers me my grandmother won't ever get to come back to the states.

I thought that Democrats were not listening to white working class voters enough? This is what white working class voters wanted. Should we listen to them and respect their feelings or not?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Get outta here with this poo poo that's not what he meant

People are discussing reducing the power of Southern black people - I.e most of the Democrats left in the south - in the primaries.

Maybe we should be pushing to get rid of the EC instead so their votes actually matter and help us.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Occupy was dismantled by the cops and by Bloomberg, not internally.

They handled official harassment just fine, which one would loving hope because a leftist protest movement that isn't planned around kettling and beatings going in is like a house that was designed without accounting for rain, but the movement never worked out a tangible Step B for what everyone as a whole should do after they'd successfully held the parks and established themselves, and they couldn't just hang around doing that indefinitely. By the time the camps got cleared out for the last (but not the first) time, there just wasn't any energy left to regroup yet again with, and nothing to do it for. There still isn't really a concrete, step-by-step roadmap anyone's offering for uniting America's disparate progressive movements and then mobilizing them to actually take power, just a lot of wishful thinking about what I'll do when I am king.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 15, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Who is this and how bad is it compared to a Rudy Gulianni AG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

im not ready for a party run by some New Hampshire beekeeper dude with weird concerns about cell phone radiation

they have a point, progressivism in the past only ever got anywhere by specifically exclusing minorities - for example, redlining being a direct creation of the new deal's 1932 HOLC

• Locked thread