Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Fellblade posted:

I am a scrub who doesn't understand how terrain works, doesn't Trick Room being terrain mean that the Tapu pokemon will cancel out trick room on switch in?
I don't think Trick Room is terrain? At least, not exactly? It might be enough like terrain to benefit from terrain boosting effects, but not enough to cancel out other terrains? Sorta like how confusion is and isn't a status effect.
Won't know till we play, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zore posted:

hell gen VI removed E4 refighting. Every time you fight they have the same team they always had! Something the series has ditched back in Gen 1.

Noooooooo? E4 refights with different teams started in FRLG, skipped the Hoenn games and have been a thing since Platinum. Technically, there were no E4 refights in the Kalos Pokemon League, but there was the Battle Chateau.

Gym Leader refights, meanwhile started in Emerald, skipped DP, were in Platinum and HGSS, skipped BW, were in B2W2 and are in Sun and Moon where more or less every important trainer can be rematched. It's weird why it's not a real big staple. And the Emerald refight method was pretty bad, as was Platinum's if you got bad Battleground rotation.

Blaziken386 posted:

I don't think Trick Room is terrain? At least, not exactly? It might be enough like terrain to benefit from terrain boosting effects, but not enough to cancel out other terrains? Sorta like how confusion is and isn't a status effect.
Won't know till we play, I guess.

It does count as terrain for the item, so 8 turn TR is now possible.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I've finally settled on my team. Running the two best starters this gen, so that'll be fun to get.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
every time i read about the trick room buff i just get bummed out that triple battles are gone and i can't use it with my gimmick team

e: not that it would actually benefit now that i'm thinking about it but. bring back triple battles

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 15, 2016

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Emalde posted:

Female is for early trade fodder, so you don't have to get a ditto or whatever post-game first.

That makes sense, thanks.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Zore posted:

No, DexNAV is gone.

Cancelling my pre-order of both games.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I guess people talking strategy haven't realized 8 turn trick room is a reality because that makes Alolan Marowak, Wishiwashi, and a ton of other things a lot scarier.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I challenge you to come up with a better/more fun team.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I guess people talking strategy haven't realized 8 turn trick room is a reality because that makes Alolan Marowak, Wishiwashi, and a ton of other things a lot scarier.
I'm real happy there's a ton of slow pokemon this gen. Trick Room teams are fun to use against my friends.

absolutely anything posted:

every time i read about the trick room buff i just get bummed out that triple battles are gone and i can't use it with my gimmick team

e: not that it would actually benefit now that i'm thinking about it but. bring back triple battles
If triple battles are gone, does that mean rotation battles are gone as well? Because I hated triple battles, but rotation ones were my fuckin' jam.
e:

Scholtz posted:

Senerio posted:

I've finally settled on my team. Running the two best starters this gen, so that'll be fun to get.

What site are y'all using to build teams like this?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Blaziken386 posted:

If triple battles are gone, does that mean rotation battles are gone as well? Because I hated triple battles, but rotation ones were my fuckin' jam.

they're both gone and it sucks rear end!!!!!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm real happy there's a ton of slow pokemon this gen. Trick Room teams are fun to use against my friends.

Yeah rotation battles are gone too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Pakled posted:

Yeah rotation battles are gone too.

Worst news.

Scholtz posted:

Mimikyu is on the team. Checks out.

Blaziken386 posted:

What site are y'all using to build teams like this?

https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner

Spoilers for unrevealed pokemon, obviously.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

mabels big day posted:

All the Tapus cancel out Trick Room by merely switching in.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I hope theyre just skipping this gen because those battles would lead to solid single digit framerates

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope theyre just skipping this gen because those battles would lead to solid single digit framerates

They could have just not have the trainers on screen during triples and rotation, but apparently they were too hung up on that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To everyone upset your new Poke friends won't be available until island 3 or 4 there is trading and breeding to get your desired friend

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Given the issues some people have been reporting I expect it's more because they don't your 3DS to melt through the floor.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

less laughter posted:

All the Tapus cancel out Trick Room by merely switching in.

Maybe? None of the field terrains affected trick room and wonder room and things like that in Gen 6. But I don't know if the programming consider them terrains or not in Gen 6 since there was nothing that affected terrains globally like that. If they don't and there is no easy way to get rid of trick room comma and speaking as someone that absolutely loves trick room, trick room is going to be very broken and an absolute pain to deal with. I could very easily see matches coming down to whether or not someone can get trick room up. Although it will also limit trick room's options since if they're holding the item that expensive to eat turns that cannot be holding things like eviolite or mental herb or sitrus berry.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scholtz posted:

:owned:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you put Raichu and Mimmikyu on the same team, you're a bad person.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mabels big day posted:

Yea I don't get why people are obsessed over the speed issue. It's not ideal but it's not like a ton of teams are built around buffing ALL your little shits to be nice and fast anyway.

Bogart posted:

If you put Raichu and Mimmikyu on the same team, you're a bad person.

No, I want him to see it. I want him to see what he's not.

edit: oh yea, what island is the coward pokemon and the water spider on? As much as I love Popllio I have to many other water and fairy types I wanna try out, but almost no fire ones, think I'm gonna go with the cat wrestler after all.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 15, 2016

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

wow have fun with rocks

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So is there anything that would stop me from using Pokebank+hard resets so I can use all three starters?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

edit: oh yea, what island is the coward pokemon and the water spider on? As much as I love Popllio I have to many other water and fairy types I wanna try out, but almost no fire ones, think I'm gonna go with the cat wrestler after all.

Wow rude Salazzle is RIGHT THERE.

I'm glad there are good Fire/Water/Grass pokemon so I don't feel bad not using the starter I like the least (the Fire Cat).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

TaurusOxford posted:

So is there anything that would stop me from using Pokebank+hard resets so I can use all three starters?

Provided you're willing to wait until January, then no.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

TaurusOxford posted:

Pokebank only comes out in January for the new games

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Scholtz posted:

Provided you're willing to wait until January, then no.

Dammit... :(

Edit: Why did Gamefreak make three awesome starters? It's infinitely harder to make a final choice when there isn't a standout dud like Bulbasaur or Chikorita.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 15, 2016

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Scholtz posted:

RUDE BOYS TEAM GONNA DOMINATE ALL THEESE ISLANDS
(mimikyu is the Hype man)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TaurusOxford posted:

Dammit... :(

Edit: Why did Gamefreak make three awesome starters? It's infinitely harder to make a final choice when there isn't a standout dud like Bulbasaur or Chikorita.

Uhh rude popplio is like right there

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My team is going to have either a huge water bias, a huge ghost bias, or be likely entirely made up of pokemon found in the lategame

Browsing through the new stuff though, this gen's emphasized type seems to be ghost, the way that gen 5 was the bug generation.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ElMaligno posted:

RUDE BOYS TEAM GONNA DOMINATE ALL THEESE ISLANDS
(mimikyu is the Hype man)

OH drat THIS IS REALLY GOOD AND PURE

Now I want to make a Full-Time LARPers team around Decidueye. Mimikyu is also there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TaurusOxford posted:

a standout dud like Bulbasaur

gently caress you

Calaveron posted:

gently caress YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Starter rankings this gen:
Rowlet
Popplio
Litten.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Senerio posted:

Starter rankings this gen:
Rowlet
Popplio
Litten.

this will do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

deadly_pudding posted:

OH drat THIS IS REALLY GOOD AND PURE

Now I want to make a Full-Time LARPers team around Decidueye. Mimikyu is also there.

I'm very unironically into all these teams that are 'x, and also Mimikyu'.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Calaveron posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

gently caress YOU

What cheetah said. :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All three starters have incredible first stages

Torracat is alright
Brionne is incredible
Dartrix is bad imo but in a way where I can see why people like it

Incineroar is bad imo but in a way where I can see why people like it
Primarina is the absolute best
Decidueye is okay, I guess

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Captain Fargle posted:

Given the issues some people have been reporting I expect it's more because they don't your 3DS to melt through the floor.

What issues have people been reporting? Does it happen with New 3ds as well?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Truecon420 posted:

What issues have people been reporting? Does it happen with New 3ds as well?
What happens is that if you pick incineroar, he straight up jumps out of your screen and slam dunks the 3DS for making the wrong™ choice.

cheetah7071 posted:

gently caress YOU
(That avatar just goes so well with cursing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cheetah7071 posted:

Incineroar is bad imo but in a way where I can see why people like it

I was down on Incineroar until I read his bio about how he's literally a pro wrestler who loves being a role-model for the kids, but also isn't allowed to break character as a heel.