Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

trimps is an idler, not a clicker. Bringing auto storage to lvl 40 will be a huge game changer. i cant wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol @ claiming trimps has no paradigm shifts after playing it for an hour

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Aurora posted:

lol @ claiming trimps has no paradigm shifts after playing it for an hour

I played it for a few months, until world 120 or so then stopped as i found it boring.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Meskhenet posted:

trimps is an idler, not a clicker. Bringing auto storage to lvl 40 will be a huge game changer. i cant wait for that.

It's 75, which is shortly after the "tutorial" is over at 60

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Kittens Game also recently just gave everyone 20% extra storage so that makes it less tedious.

Donation counter that affects everyone. Unless you turn it off.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gilg posted:

Does anyone have experience with Endless Frontier? (Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ekkorr.endlessfrontier.global&hl=en , iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/endless-frontier/id1073014391?mt=8 ) I saw a mention of it somewhere, but the screenshots and description don't do anything to help explain it other than another idler that has PvP and guilds.

It's somewhat interesting. The core gameplay is kind of parallel Clicker Heroes plus Ad Cap. You have 'quests' which are just standard Ad Cap that give you gold rewards - this is your primary income. Your timers advance while the game is closed for long skills, and your auto-skills fire while your game is closed.

You have a team of three units (I think buying and upgrading units later is the biggest money sink). Your units auto-fight little battles that get increasingly harder. You can spend your gold to upgrade units. They have little bonuses at 25-multiple levels early on, going up to 100s later. Your units auto-fight up levels while the game is closed.

You can 'revive' to ascend and re-start from level 1 with +50% bonus gold income, and seemingly a random 'hero' which gives a buff to certain race of units. This seems neat since it encourages a stable of different race units.

Ascending gives you medals, which you can spend to buy units (you're offered 5 units to choose from, this list resets 30 mins), or use smaller amounts to power up your existing units.

You can run dungeons using tickets (I can carry 1 ticket, which takes 1 minute to refresh) where your team fights a short tough battle. The dungeons have tougher levels after you clear the easier ones. Some dungeons have restrictions on which race units can enter them (e.g. no undead).

There is a gem currency which seems to be the premium currency. You can use it for lots of shortcutting, but I think using it to purchase highest-tier units will be the way to go. Most of the gems I have come from my mail bag right now, but you can earn 3 at a time clicking chests (chests can also give gold, or option to view an ad for ~10-20 gems?). The Golem that was offered to me costs 5700 gems, I have 2800 after opening up all my mail.

My first revival (ascension) also gave me a free random 5-star unit. Mine was ranged which I think is good.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

At least Kittens Game speeds up and gets you back to where you were quickly. Things that were extremely expensive or impossible to buy earlier becomes trivially cheap later on. A so called paradigm shift as this thread has dubbed it.

Trimps has no such thing.

Trimps has several such mechanics. You can invest helium into abilities that cut down the cost of the things you buy, as well as abilities that boost the effectiveness of the upgrades and resource gathering. Trading bones to merchants gives you permanent upgrades to the world which boost resource generation and damage dealing. Heirlooms are later introduced which can significantly boost your combat and resource gathering. Challenges can be completed which reward you with more starting resources and buildings to make the earlier game go faster. Overkill further cuts the time spent in the early game by half. Masteries can be acquired which greatly speed up the pace of things as they grant enough construction workers to instantly build things, grant the ability to bypass having to enter maps for upgrades, and which increase attack speed, and several other bonuses that boost helium and bone acquisition rate.

If you didn't like the game or didn't get far enough to encounter ANY of that (and you claim you did) then that's one thing, but Trimps certainly has several paradigm shifts and saying it doesn't is ridiculous.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My trouble with Trimps is actually similar to Ineptitude's. I've been playing it for months and I'm at z120 and I'm just running a bunch of Electricity challenges that don't feel like they're actually making me advance at all, because it takes 2+ Electricity challenges for a level of Coordinated and I can't do any Helium challenges better than Electricity. On top of that, I was really looking forward to Coordinated feeling like a big game changer and it just doesn't, at all. Not a bit. I have like Coordinated 2 or 3 I think and I looked up when it starts kicking in and I think I get 3 extra levels of Coordinated by the time I hit like z100.

And without AutoStorage (which, agreed, will be REALLY nice when it gets moved down to a lower zone) doing multiple runs of Electricity is incredibly tedious because I have to check the drat game every hour or two forever.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I'd only play Trimps with a speedhack, and speedhacking doesn't work.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Devor posted:

It's somewhat interesting. The core gameplay is kind of parallel Clicker Heroes plus Ad Cap. You have 'quests' which are just standard Ad Cap that give you gold rewards - this is your primary income. Your timers advance while the game is closed for long skills, and your auto-skills fire while your game is closed.

You have a team of three units (I think buying and upgrading units later is the biggest money sink). Your units auto-fight little battles that get increasingly harder. You can spend your gold to upgrade units. They have little bonuses at 25-multiple levels early on, going up to 100s later. Your units auto-fight up levels while the game is closed.

You can 'revive' to ascend and re-start from level 1 with +50% bonus gold income, and seemingly a random 'hero' which gives a buff to certain race of units. This seems neat since it encourages a stable of different race units.

Ascending gives you medals, which you can spend to buy units (you're offered 5 units to choose from, this list resets 30 mins), or use smaller amounts to power up your existing units.

You can run dungeons using tickets (I can carry 1 ticket, which takes 1 minute to refresh) where your team fights a short tough battle. The dungeons have tougher levels after you clear the easier ones. Some dungeons have restrictions on which race units can enter them (e.g. no undead).

There is a gem currency which seems to be the premium currency. You can use it for lots of shortcutting, but I think using it to purchase highest-tier units will be the way to go. Most of the gems I have come from my mail bag right now, but you can earn 3 at a time clicking chests (chests can also give gold, or option to view an ad for ~10-20 gems?). The Golem that was offered to me costs 5700 gems, I have 2800 after opening up all my mail.

My first revival (ascension) also gave me a free random 5-star unit. Mine was ranged which I think is good.
Thanks. Will give it a shot!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

In Trimps I just got Foremany I Mastery, this makes early game even easier since you don't have to switch to building since everything is building at max speed with 5000 foreman. The little things in this game make it great. I'm barely able to scratch the spire but I'm catching up to the content!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Trimps is definitely one of the idlers I feel benefits immensely from an auto thingy, but only after a point because I quite like the progression up to there. Like reaching the Spire maybe? Constant portalling gets to be a huge pain at some point but I can't remember where other than somewhere around there.

At this point unless anything really new turns up I'm probably just going to go ahead and just watch the numbers get bigger. And that's okay.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

McDragon posted:

Trimps is definitely one of the idlers I feel benefits immensely from an auto thingy, but only after a point because I quite like the progression up to there. Like reaching the Spire maybe? Constant portalling gets to be a huge pain at some point but I can't remember where other than somewhere around there.

At this point unless anything really new turns up I'm probably just going to go ahead and just watch the numbers get bigger. And that's okay.

Trimps 4.0 is currently in beta, it has new post spire content. Something about magma and it looks pretty cool.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Garfu posted:

I'd only play Trimps with a speedhack, and speedhacking doesn't work.

Give this a shot. Repeat as necessary:

game.portal.Agility.level+=20

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Trimps does have an advantage in that the combat mechanics make things somewhat more interesting than normal idlers, but it's true the intended advancement rate is super slow and takes a huge amount of babysitting. Luckily it's easy to cheat and autotrimps exists so you can customize it to your heart's content.

Speaking of trimps, today's daily is hilarious. 20 modifiers. I can't even begin to tell whether it's worth running or not.

EDIT: It has exploding enemies so it's awful. As far as I can tell it's never ever worth running those.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 16, 2016

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

You can get a 5,000% damage bonus during today's challenge. It's amazing.

e: The bonuses you get to everything but breeding speed outweigh all the negatives.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 16, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
How do you deal with exploding enemies constantly killing your trimps? If you shorten your breed timer you lose out on the enormous benefits of anticipation and geneticists.

Either way my progress slowed to a crawl compared to just doing crushed.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I just finished The Prison for the first time, the whole run took about three days. When is it feasible to do Electricity?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Do Balance and keep running zones after completing the challenge. When you get to 80ish reasonably comfortably (matter of hours, not days, assuming you can check in periodically to buy poo poo), then switch to Electricity.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Whats the general strategy with wormholes?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you're gonna be portaling almost immediately after them anyway, don't bother getting any. If you're gonna keep going on through the 40s or later, buy a few. Maybe 5 if you're not going much past 40, or 10 if you plan to go further.

They're basically there to bridge the housing gap until the next structure at 50, but since they cost helium you want to avoid buying any more than you need to get across that gap. As your carpentry goes up, you'll have less and less need of them and can more and more smoothly just sail on to 50 with few or no wormholes, at which point there's no reason to buy them (other than that one achievement for total amount of helium spent on wormholes).

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Also that achievement for 100 of each housing building.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
10-20 wormholes is about all you need, but only if you are going to be pushing much past them. I think 10 costs around 150 He so if buying them helps you push another few zones its worth it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, 10 is about the norm for once you can fly past that point, 20-25 if you're thinking of reaching Zone 50 (and then onward to 60 from the housing upgrade picked up there) in that run for your first couple of times.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Aurora posted:

Also that achievement for 100 of each housing building.

Its not a huge damage increase and it costs a good bit of He, you also have to factor in a bunch of warpstations. You should not go for that until you are going for 100+ warp stations for your first set consistently. That is also the only 100 wormholes I bought I ignored them entirely but I feel I could have spend up my early game by making use of them.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

How much He should I have by the time I can push 40 in a reasonable time frame? I've always stopped at around 37 or 38 and have 1500 He now, haven't bought any wormholes before. Is it worth jumping into Balance as soon as I hit 40 and unlock it?

Also when am I supposed to try to do void maps? I just unlocked them and looked at the damage value table for the boss floor of void zones based on your current floor, and the damage is always like 4x as much health + block combined that I actually have.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's normal for you to need to farm before doing void maps, since they're several times as hard as your current world and there's no way to do lower-level ones like normal maps. But they don't slow you down as much as you'd think since if you can finish one you can blitz the next two or three world levels immediately, and the double HE is well worth it.

Anyway, the answer is probably at least 5 levels below your current highest world level, and ideally at a world level where you receive a big boost in power, like a gymistic level. Luckily the thresholds where you get better heirlooms also tend to be at or near those world levels.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sindai posted:

It's normal for you to need to farm before doing void maps, since they're several times as hard as your current world and there's no way to do lower-level ones like normal maps. But they don't slow you down as much as you'd think since if you can finish one you can blitz the next two or three world levels immediately, and the double HE is well worth it.

Anyway, the answer is probably at least 5 levels below your current highest world level, and ideally at a world level where you receive a big boost in power, like a gymistic level. Luckily the thresholds where you get better heirlooms also tend to be at or near those world levels.

Last level of a challenge is also good if you are pushing. I can barely start spire (got about half way done with cell 20 before group 10 died last run). I still my voids on 190, when should I be pushing them post challenge? For that matter, should I be doing dailies instead at this point? I kind of feel I should be getting to 205-210 before I worry about dailies.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Do Corrupted, I get like 7m helium a run.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Aurora posted:

Do Corrupted, I get like 7m helium a run.

Yeah that's what I've been pushing, trying to figure out when I switch to daily, since that's kind of what they were made for the post corrupted point.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm not sure you're gonna get a whole lot out of Dailies until you're past the Spire.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

when should I start doing challenges in trimps? i picked discipline my first portal since it sounds basic but metal sounds like it'll be much more of a bother.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As a general rule, unless it was a super-tedious multi-day crawl - with active play and a non-stupid distribution of perks - to get to the zone that unlocked the challenge, most challenges are intended to be reasonable (just, ya know, a bit challenging) to do at the point you can first unlock them. If it seems too terrible, do another two or three portals first for a bit of extra helium, then do the challenge. In some cases you'll want to respec your helium more heavily into certain things (e.g. for the challenge where trimps don't breed and you have to manually trap everything, you'll want a lot more points in Bait than you usually do).

This applies double if like most challenges, it's a one-off that you run to unlock a new thing and can forever after ignore. Repeatable challenges for helium, you should only run if your resulting helium per hour is better than not running the challenge (or more accurately, better than running the previous repeatable helium challenge and then progressing past the end of it until things slow down).

One thing you may want to keep on your radar is the Underachiever achievement, which is basically finish zone 30 while spending 60 or less helium, and not yet respeccing on that run. Aka no cheating by starting with higher helium, then respeccing to 60 or less before finishing 30. You can do this at any point of course (just respec to 60 or less before you portal to start the run in question), but it's less annoying if you do it early on when you have 60 or less helium in the first place. It doesn't feel like taking a step backwards and being unusually sluggish, it just feels like a normal-ish run.

Vil fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 20, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Would anyone like to wax philosophical on what makes a good and fun idle game, as opposed to a tedious or "I feel the pointlessness" one?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Krunge posted:

Would anyone like to wax philosophical on what makes a good and fun idle game, as opposed to a tedious or "I feel the pointlessness" one?

A purpose beyond make numbers bigger>reset>repeat

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Unlocking new mechanics often helps

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Just look at the opener to this thread and you'll find several examples of good idlers. Most of them involve a paradigm shift or pivot point somewhere in the middle to keep things fresh. And especially Shark Game, the best idler, a good one doesn't waste your time on the same retreaded mechanic before opening up to something you can fiddle with.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Thinking of past discussions and my own experience on trying the good and the bad:

1. Anybody can make a clicker/basic idle game. The hard part is coming up with something that isn't just a reskinned Skinner Box or clone, even if it's a very pretty one. Unfortunately it's much easier to make things pretty than to make them feel different and often people don't even bother to do that much, hence the huge glut of trash.
2. Paradigm shifts are a fairly solid way to keep the game fresh. Realm Grinder, Mine Defense, Sandcastle Builder even all do this.
3. Discovery is a key to longevity, if there is nothing more to discover be it flavor text for goals or the correct solution to the glass ceilings there's no point to playing the game more. Shallow discoveries are about as boring, while paradigm shifts are generally not because they change how the player engages with the game. Realm Grinder, for instance, adds new mechanics as players reach certain milestones that change how useful each race is radically at various points through the haul to reach said milestones.
4. Flavor is another key to longevity, good flavor can work as a discovery all its own even though relying solely on it at the expense of making sure the game itself feels fun is not, even if the flavor is excellent, a really good idea.
5. 'Balance' in idlers should be taken as more of a suggestion than a hard and fast thing to work around - this is because it's much easier to make progress too slow or too fast than just right (whatever the hell that even means when everything's made up and the points don't matter). The most fun way to gate content/discoveries is the Candy Box method whereby you actually have to play a non-idle game to get new things IMO but if someone wanting to make an idle game is too scared to try that then the other way is to either throw caution to the wind and worry about progression bumps as players complain about them or take the long road of sketching out ballpark estimates on how long it'll take for players to rack up cash and then pricing around that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I like an idle game to feel like an RPG that has tons of knobs to turn but the turn based combat is automated.

So figure out a cool system that someone could spend hours min maxing and automate the grind part you would normally bolt to that. Of course since you are automating it you could replace combat with so something else like politics or fishing and theme everything around that.

Make lots of knobs and which ones you turn should changes depending on where you are. Playing differently to unlock a new feature or perk like challenges in Trimps can help keep things feeling fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Personally, I always liked Derivative Clicker best.
- interact just a bit at the start of the run and then whenever you feel like it to speed it up a bit
- still progresses if you don't interact for a few hours
- each reset becomes slightly faster than the last one, sometimes with bigger jumps when you buy a new prestige thing
- it's not months long with insane wait periods towards the end