Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Democrats are floating in the pool with their shades on and a bottle of Jameson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Beachcomber posted:

We really need to get people thinking about class solidarity. The problem is, I'm not sure there are any symbols for that which aren't a hammer and sickle. Is there a progressive version of the Don't Tread on Me snake flag? Maybe something in blue?

Also: What is the best way to support strikers? Just like...a fuckload of doughnuts and coffee? Gatorade if it's hot? I'd carry a sign, but I don't think that's allowed if I'm not actually a member.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

The Democrats are floating *facedown in the pool with their shades on and a bottle of Jameson.

ftfy :q:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Oh hey, look at this:

We need to push this kind of thing hard.

They desperately need to bring office drones into the mix though. Just look at what Disney did the IT guys who did the infrastructure for DisneyWorld. Labor isn't just work you do outside or on the factory floor.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

crazy cloud posted:

I'm not loving knocking on doors tho

Yeah I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to help because I'm even more mealy mouthed and incoherent IRL than my posting. I figure they might need help cleaning or cooking or data entry or collating forms or something.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Biden failed in multiple primary runs before. I think he may have just not wanted to go through that again, especially when he was probably just fine with Hillary carrying on the Obama legacy.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

We really need to get people thinking about class solidarity. The problem is, I'm not sure there are any symbols for that which aren't a hammer and sickle. Is there a progressive version of the Don't Tread on Me snake flag? Maybe something in blue?

Also: What is the best way to support strikers? Just like...a fuckload of doughnuts and coffee? Gatorade if it's hot? I'd carry a sign, but I don't think that's allowed if I'm not actually a member.

Money, food, joining the picket.

If you really wanna go :ussr: then solidarity strikes are pretty A+++

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

They desperately need to bring office drones into the mix though. Just look at what Disney did the IT guys who did the infrastructure for DisneyWorld.

Ironically enough the main symbol of office-drone oppression is Dilbert

this image with Samir from Office Space on one side and Michael from Office Space on the other side

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

he wasn't mentioned in C-SPAM at all from July to November because we were wasted as poo poo, linking yt songs :q: It was actually a good time to be in c-spam if you weren't completely bitter and taking poo poo way too seriously because even the hillary thread was somewhat trollable and didn't have a zealot crushing any dissenters after august.

thats the only memo you can get because i barely remember july to november~ :ocelot:

he's only mentioned now because of the aftermath of the DNC and insider failure.

he's running for dnc chair against kool keith ellison

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

a helpful bear posted:

I'm sure this has been covered several times over, but is it worth it to push on the 2018 elections (maybe not to the point of burning out the party) or just prep for 2020?

My initial uneducated thoughts are to position progressive left candidates across the country in 2018 with no expectations but to build a coalition. Is that untenable?

I think Republicans can form a drat near super-majority if they play their cards right so 2018 is really loving important. It's also going to be crazy hard for the Dems to get ahead because they have a lot more vulnerable seats up for grabs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Democrats have to brace themselves for a hold in 2018 or they're doomed. This alone is going to be very difficult.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Got a response from the vice chair of the GA Democratic party, :toot:

She is concerned about bernies message and how it failed to resonate with poc. The dem primary was eons ago but my impression is that this was a campaign failure in getting the message to older folks; didn't he have high support among younger voters across demographics? I haven't responded yet because I want to get something more concrete

Also am I allowed to say PoC regardless of whether I am one, I don't know the rules. I'm an oC Person

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LegoPirateNinja posted:

They desperately need to bring office drones into the mix though. Just look at what Disney did the IT guys who did the infrastructure for DisneyWorld. Labor isn't just work you do outside or on the factory floor.

Agreed. How do we convince the white collars that they're not automatically above the blue collars? There needs to be a message that if you live paycheck to paycheck you're WORKING or WAGE CLASS, even if you're salaried. Especially if you're salaried because those people are getting taken advantage of like crazy.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

loquacius posted:

Ironically enough the main symbol of office-drone oppression is Dilbert

It's a catastrophe. In UK Office there's this loving scene where Martin Freeman is walking down to the warehouse as part of some workplace education thing, and he's like, "Alright, folks, we're about to encounter working class... so brace yourselves." or something. Bitch that's YOU! If no one works for you and your wages are poo poo, YOU ARE THE WORKING CLASS.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can I just requote myself here

because I don't understand why nobody else appreciated this image of a pomaded jowly white dude with a vaguely confused look on his face named Matthew "Matt" Johnson as much as I did

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Somebody doesn't like the idea of Keith Ellison as chair

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/798589502533070849

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zikan posted:

he's running for dnc chair against kool keith ellison

i am aware of that because hey

he's only a lobbyist to put caviar on the table for his kids

I'm just saying he wasn't relevant until just now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

slicing up eyeballs posted:

She is concerned about bernies message and how it failed to resonate with poc. The dem primary was eons ago but my impression is that this was a campaign failure in getting the message to older folks; didn't he have high support among younger voters across demographics? I haven't responded yet because I want to get something more concrete

Also am I allowed to say PoC regardless of whether I am one, I don't know the rules. I'm an oC Person

This is basically it as I understand it; young people love Bernie and he lost the South largely because when those states voted (and particularly when they early voted) he hadn't really had a chance to whip the youth up into a fervor yet and the same cabal of old people who always vote in primaries voted how you would expect them to.

The South is also generally more conservative than other areas where he did well, but I'm confident his message could have connected with them if his messaging was better.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

slicing up eyeballs posted:

I'd counter with how did Hillary resonate with them on election day, but that's probably not productive. I'd probably also tell them to run Killer Mike for Senate.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zythrst posted:

How much money am I allowed to give Ellison, because I love watching Republicans drool all over themselves on this poo poo.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
"I don't like so and so's policies but they can win" is how you end up with Clinton

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zythrst posted:

I had to stop watching after "The Qu'ran is the so-called 'holy book' of Islam"

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Agreed. How do we convince the white collars that they're not automatically above the blue collars? There needs to be a message that if you live paycheck to paycheck you're WORKING or WAGE CLASS, even if you're salaried. Especially if you're salaried because those people are getting taken advantage of like crazy.

Hey thats a hell of a point. 'Paycheck class' consists of a gently caress ton of people and correctly points out the opposite: the investor class.

Crab mentality is severe in the white collar world.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
im sorry about quoting the whole OP but I wanted to read it without that idiotic tablebreaking line

im sorry too but you couldve just previewed it without hitting reply, dummy~ :allears:

Somebody has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Nov 15, 2016

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

dookifex_maximus posted:

im sorry about quoting the whole OP but I wanted to read it without that idiotic tablebreaking line

im sorry too

let me know when you finish reading it tia

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

"I don't like so and so's policies but they can win" is how you end up with Clinton

Yeah he wouldn't be my pick or anything, I just liked him better as a candidate than HRC in a choice between the two of them because I didn't like her on policy either

I'm reminded of that study from 2012 where people said they hated Obamacare but loved the ACA and sometimes even said Obamacare should be replaced with the ACA

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

everyone needs to listen this imo

https://soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-27-tomorrow-belongs-to-them-feat-bro_pair-8116

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

loquacius posted:

Yeah he wouldn't be my pick or anything, I just liked him better as a candidate than HRC in a choice between the two of them because I didn't like her on policy either

I'm reminded of that study from 2012 where people said they hated Obamacare but loved the ACA and sometimes even said Obamacare should be replaced with the ACA

I knew a guy who would bitch about unions and then take his crops down to the coop.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/798609512949116928

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

dookifex_maximus posted:

You could've just clicked preview instead of actually replying with it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Zythrst posted:

I knew a guy who would bitch about unions and then take his crops down to the coop.

Only moral x is my x, alive and well (as if there were any doubts).

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

reignonyourparade posted:

You could've just clicked preview instead of actually replying with it.

No no, let him finish reading it. :o:

would if i could, too bad podcasts don't have subtitles.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Zythrst posted:

In fairness they mostly imagined "unions just exist to enrich the union boss" line really CAN'T apply to a coop.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Beachcomber posted:

Acelerion posted:

Hey thats a hell of a point. 'Paycheck class' consists of a gently caress ton of people and correctly points out the opposite: the investor class.

Crab mentality is severe in the white collar world.

this seems like v good messaging to me a dumb nerd on the internet

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

So I emailed my state party chairs in support of Keith and one of them sent me back a personal message with follow-up questions within 2 working days of the original email. That's cool.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

If any of you missed it last night:

Dean being interviewed on MSNBC talked about potentially working with Trump on infrastructure and 'public private partnerships'...

PPP's on infrastructure are dogwhistles for "getting around Federal laws such as Davis Bacon." My union hall was livid and all the folks who supported him as DNC chair immediately were like 'nope.'

I know this is from a few pages back but PPPs are a loving unholy abomination of inconpetence and graft and their only purposes is to bankrupt public finances and provide lobyist with cushy boardroom jobs.if any politician proposes them theres a good chance they are unrepentant assholes.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

loquacius posted:

An interesting question that has come to mind a lot over the last week is, does it do more damage in the long term when a Republican wins, or when the wrong Democrat wins?

Think of all the Third-Way bullshit we're still trying to wade out of now after early-90s Bill Clinton smooth-talked it into the White House 25 loving years ago. What if he lost and we got four more years of Bush Sr before running another liberal champion who would hopefully have been less incompetent than Mike Dukakis? What would the landscape look like now? Would GHWB have driven everything into the ground from 92 to 96, or would we have come out of the 90s and '00s in a slightly better place without Clintonites and their cronies occupying all of our high-level positions? Or am I just talking out of my rear end and we'd have lost in '96 too and maybe even ended up in GWB hell a little earlier?

Similarly, Howie Dean was the darling of the student left in 2004, but is turning out to be a bullshit Third-Way con artist. If he had won, would the compromising of the Democratic Party be even worse than it is now? Or would we have just ended up with an Obama-type presidency (firebrand candidate, boring milquetoast moderate president) a little ahead of schedule?

At some point, the Democratic working man voter will come around to the realization that the Democratic party as no ability to pass legislation that benefits him. Now, you can chalk this up to an ideological different (IE: Democrats would rather push social issues as a way to differentiate themselves vs. Republicans than pushing more egalitarian economic ideas), or the completely ineffectual nature of congressional and presidential Democrats (IE: Democrats see government as a shield while Republicans see government as a sword). Whichever camp you fall in doesn't really matter, the fact is that we've been voting in establishment Democrats since 1992 and we've only seen the further destruction of the working class (both minority and white).

The rebuke of Clinton was long in the making, and I don't think there were many ways to sidestep it short of just pushing further left in the late 80's.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Hahaha even after a devastating loss, Dems still aren't allowed to talk about what went wrong in the primaries in CSPAM? Lollin forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Public position: Needs more study.

Private position:

quote:

URSULA BURNS: So long means thumbs up, short means thumbs down; or long means I support, short means I don’t. I’m going to start with — I’m going to give you about ten long-shorts.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Even if you could make money on a short, you can’t answer short.

URSULA BURNS: You can answer short, but you got to be careful about letting anybody else know that. They will bet against you. So legalization of pot?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Short in all senses of the word.

http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2016/10/clinton-gave-thumbs-down-to-legal-marijuana-leak-shows/

Also looks like Wikileaks may have been compromised ever since Assange went dark in October. Someone may have not liked their election being messed with.

e: or it's just a mistake from wikileaks.

FuriousxGeorge has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread