Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'd rather have another 20 years of republican control than a democratic party that marginalizes minorities. I know bernie and you think otherwise, but that's why he lost the primary!

Please do not vote in any more primary elections ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BarbarianElephant posted:

Unfortunately "being co-opted by the establishment" is *success* in terms of a political movement.

Not necessarily. Perhaps historically, but look at the Tea Party.

The problem with the Tea Party is that they're crazy, stupid people who aren't actually qualified to hold office. That's the sticking point, we can't just primary conservative Dems with ideological pure progressives, we need to find people who can actually hold office. No Jill Steins, more Keith Ellisons.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I'd rather have another 20 years of republican control than a democratic party that marginalizes minorities. I know bernie and you think otherwise, but that's why he lost the primary!

bernie is nominating an african american muslim to head the dnc

very marginalizing of minorities you see

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'd like to see a big list of all the people who posted things like "Stop making GBS threads your pants! Hillary's got it in the bag!" because I fear they have already forgotten and are currently castigating Hillary for an ill-run and hopeless campaign.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Take a deep breath and step away from the Internet for a while. Just assuming he's going to be an 8 year President and then potential dictator for life because your going all nihilistic is stupid as hell.

showbiz_liz posted:

There's an international conference on criminal legal aid happening in Argentina right now, and during a discussion of post-conflict countries, the executive director of the Neighborhood Defender Services of Harlem just described America to an international audience as a 'pre-conflict country'

lol/geez

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

Please do not vote in any more primary elections ever again.

now now, it's hasty to tell a democrat this before you confirm they're nonwhite

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Choose one:
A) :yikes:
B) Nice Meltdown.
C) :allears:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zikan posted:

bernie is nominating an african american muslim to head the dnc

very marginalizing of minorities you see

I mean Bernie is also smarter than everyone here. That's why he's a sitting US Senator and we're slacktivists and internet nerds.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bailing out Wall Street and failing to tax the rich isn't marginalizing minorities? Because those are both things Obama did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unfortunately "being co-opted by the establishment" is *success* in terms of a political movement.

I'm not going to entirely disagree. Occupy constellation groups are still doing good local work, but the coopted Tea Party seized effective near control of the GOP levers of power and is a significant part of the Trumpist coalition. That's what you give up if you run with the Occupy model.

Which reminds me, I need to see how Mr McKesson did in Baltimore.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

Literally every person saying this poo poo was making plans for Hillary's coronation a month ago, seriously every one of them. You would think by accident one of them would have been even close to right about the election but nope.

Nope gotta stay salty bout those bernouts.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I just remembered that Republicans spent 8 years calling Obama a celebrity like it was a bad thing and then elected Trump.

Honestly how the gently caress are they this horrible.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Covok posted:

6 days in and they're already turning on him. Or so I hope to keep my sanity.

If we're lucky, he'll only be in office 8 years and not indefinitely when he removes term limits and Peter Thiel jacks his mind off into the matrix and he controls us forever as God Computer Trump.

I'll be moderately surprised if Trump survives four years. I expect him to stress eat his way into another 80 pounds and a heart attack, and Pence gets reelected during the honeymoon period.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

Looks like the DNC is open to giving the keys to Ellison so you're doing a great job :bravo:

the scare-quotes Establishment scare-unquotes has already endorsed Ellison and has been fully supportive of an increased focus on progressive policy, provided it doesn't come with any of the absolute lunatic racism that some liberals are requesting, like the literal three-fifths policy that multiple people upthread suggested as a way to combat democracy in the primary election process

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

General ignorance of nitpick details? Those massive numbers of deportations that increased every year he was in office aren't even the whole picture.

Yea, he shouldn't be deporting so many people. Glad you agree with me guy.

Gracias por ser un imbecil.

Sorry, I didn't mean your general ignorance, I meant the general ignorance of the general populace.

I apparently came off as more abrasive than I intended overall too, my apologies.

If you want to talk about the whole picture there may be some things I haven't heard at all.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
So Russia is a petulant little baby that has a good infosec branch. Clinton was about status quo of an opsec fuckup, her organization got spearfished and some emails fell out. Anyone want to take a guess at what starts falling out of Trump once they start spearfishing him? I feel like we won't see much about the spearfishing efforts against Trump outside of the infosec community because if it gets publicized he gets deservedly impeached, and Russia doesn't want Pence any more than any one else with half a brain does.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I'd like to see a big list of all the people who posted things like "Stop making GBS threads your pants! Hillary's got it in the bag!" because I fear they have already forgotten and are currently castigating Hillary for an ill-run and hopeless campaign.

Tbf hindsight is 20/20

I openly advocated for Hillary because I bought into the big lie of "vote for her because it's the best we're ever going to get".

It's fun to shithouse the centrists but in a Hillary/Trump election, she was the only reasonable choice.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ginette Reno posted:

Bailing out Wall Street and failing to tax the rich isn't marginalizing minorities? Because those are both things Obama did.

Don't forget that he's deporting literally hundreds of thousands of people every year back to their violent home countries. And immigration courts struck down his policy to not deport families and children lol

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'll be moderately surprised if Trump survives four years. I expect him to stress eat his way into another 80 pounds and a heart attack, and Pence gets reelected during the honeymoon period.

The even darker timeline.

A timeline where it becomes punishable by death to be gay.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Making POC's vote's 3/5 of their white counterpart is, and is what's being suggested in this thread by salty bernouts.

Bernie didn't even campaign in the southern states before super tuesday but for some reason can't remember that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

So Russia is a petulant little baby that has a good infosec branch. Clinton was about status quo of an opsec fuckup, her organization got spearfished and some emails fell out. Anyone want to take a guess at what starts falling out of Trump once they start spearfishing him? I feel like we won't see much about the spearfishing efforts against Trump outside of the infosec community because if it gets publicized he gets deservedly impeached, and Russia doesn't want Pence any more than any one else with half a brain does.

Why would they try and hurt a candidate who literally was tripping over himself to sit and spin on their dicks?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maarek posted:

This is definitely a person with Good Opinions that everyone should listen to.

I'll fully admit that I was wrong. I had too much faith in people to not smash their own nuts with a hammer.

Nothing, including facts, mattering played a part!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean your general ignorance, I meant the general ignorance of the general populace.

I apparently came off as more abrasive than I intended overall too, my apologies.

If you want to talk about the whole picture there may be some things I haven't heard at all.

All good bro. This immigration poo poo that the centrist democrats started doing doesn't sit well with me at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Don't forget that he's deporting literally hundreds of thousands of people every year back to their violent home countries. And immigration courts struck down his policy to not deport families and children lol

:psyduck: what

See, a thing I missed!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Russia wanted Trump elected. This has been done, and Russia is not going to sabotage him now. Assange has already publicly admitted that they had stuff from Trump that they refused to release. If you see any more leaks they will be from Trump opponents.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Covok posted:

Serious question, 6 days out of the election, anyone know for reals how Trump supporters seem to be reacting to his campaign's post-victory actions?

The conversations so far try desperately to veer from my insistence that we talk about gay + female human rights, ethnic voter suppression in North Carolina and the Voting Rights Act, and the fact that, no, the media wasn't biased for Hillary, they ran bullshit meaningless foot in mouth spectacles on Trump without talking in depth about his real problems - business failures, FHA violations, etc.

I think one guy's marriage is in trouble.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Lightning Knight posted:

Why would they try and hurt a candidate who literally was tripping over himself to sit and spin on their dicks?

Yeah, I think the idea here is that they're going to spend just as much effort spearfishing Trump as they did to Clinton, the difference is that they're going to use this information for internal decisions and *not* publicize any of it. Fortunately, the infosec community is extremely good and apolitical and does a reasonable job of documenting this poo poo. If it's not free, you can get it for the right price. e.g.:

https://www.volexity.com/blog/2016/11/09/powerduke-post-election-spear-phishing-campaigns-targeting-think-tanks-and-ngos/

So we just get to wait and see how the attacks are carried out and what is done with the information.

The real concern is that Trump is an opsec nightmare and Russia gets so much leverage out of black mailing his dumb vulnerable rear end. It's about the only way Putin can get a seat at the Adult's table.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Can electoral votes be auctioned and sold?

The rustic Caucasian states might find it useful to consider an auction of their electoral votes to the highest bidding political party to provide a sufficient cash infusion for their own self determined public work projects.

What might an electoral vote sell for?

From all sources, the Clinton campaign raised slightly more than a billion dollars. And given that those billions were wasted, electoral auctions, well before the elections, may represent an investment certainty that both political parties seek, but seldom reach.

A cold billion for local projects might represent the same sort of investment certainty for a state and a welcome relief to prostrating themselves before remote federal officials with their hats in their humiliated blue collar hands.

As enraged a reaction might be from pundits on the right, the plight of capital-lacking rural states needing infrastructure and investment money would be relieved, as would party leaderships, tired of throwing money in the air and hoping it floats back down into their own pockets.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

the scare-quotes Establishment scare-unquotes has already endorsed Ellison and has been fully supportive of an increased focus on progressive policy, provided it doesn't come with any of the absolute lunatic racism that some liberals are requesting, like the literal three-fifths policy that multiple people upthread suggested as a way to combat democracy in the primary election process

Question: if the entirety of the Democratic establishment wasn't just dashed against the rocks, do you think theyd be so open to a change we both agree was necessary?

Now they're actually going to have to confront social and economic justice beyond false platitudes or face the wilderness THE IRON ABUELA is currently enjoying

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I'd rather have another 20 years of republican control a racist, misogynist, sexual assaulter in the White House than a democratic party that marginalizes minorities. that crook Killary Klinton

Now you see how people can vote against their own self-interest?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

the popes toes posted:

The rustic Caucasian states might find it useful to consider an auction of their electoral votes to the highest bidding political party to provide a sufficient cash infusion for their own self determined public work projects.

From all sources, the Clinton campaign raised slightly more than a billion dollars. And given that those billions were wasted, electoral auctions, well before the elections, may represent an investment certainty that both political parties seek, but seldom reach.

A cold billion for local projects might represent the same sort of investment certainty for a state and a welcome relief to prostrating themselves before remote federal officials with their hats in their humiliated blue collar hands.

As enraged a reaction might be from pundits on the right, the plight of capital-lacking rural states needing infrastructure and investment money would be relieved, as would party leaderships, tired of throwing money in the air and hoping it floats back down into their own pockets.

If we're going for the "end democracy" option, I'd just rather we say gently caress it and say Full Communism Now, culminating with CNN being replaced with LF

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

But he's good on social issues so it's okay - some liberals

Making POC's vote's 3/5 of their white counterpart is, and is what's being suggested in this thread by salty bernouts.

Bernie didn't even campaign in the southern states before super tuesday but for some reason can't remember that.

He didn't campaign there because he had no chance of winning those states. His record is a better critique to use if you have a problem with how he handles/would have handled minority issues.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
The electoral college is bad and reactionary but as long as it exists you actually have to plan a presidential campaign to win it. What people in Alaska and Alabama think don't matter as much as what people in Florida and Ohio think and that's the harsh, lovely reality of our electoral system. Alternatively you can run the score up in New York and California and sit at home while President Bellagio appoints Beauregard Klanheimer IV to the Supreme Court like we will this time next year.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Tbf hindsight is 20/20

I openly advocated for Hillary because I bought into the big lie of "vote for her because it's the best we're ever going to get".

It's fun to shithouse the centrists but in a Hillary/Trump election, she was the only reasonable choice.

I voted for her, I like her, and I wish she'd won. However I wasn't bullish on her chances. My rule-of-thumb is that the most charismatic candidate wins the presidency.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Question: if the entirety of the Democratic establishment wasn't just dashed against the rocks, do you think theyd be so open to a change we both agree was necessary?

You mean like the landmark reform process set up at the convention?

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Yes, when considering which Dem candidate to run in the general, we should give special consideration to those areas of the country they have roughly 0% chance of getting electoral votes. Surely this is the path to success.

It blows my mind that in a week it went from 'She's got this in the bag, Trump is sooo un-electable' to 'No one could have beaten the unstoppable juggernaut that is Donald Trump.' He did worse than Mitt. How hard do you have to try to find someone liked less than Mitt?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Quorum posted:

Russia wanted Trump elected. This has been done, and Russia is not going to sabotage him now. Assange has already publicly admitted that they had stuff from Trump that they refused to release. If you see any more leaks they will be from Trump opponents.

Or if Trump starts not playing ball...

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm not going to entirely disagree. Occupy constellation groups are still doing good local work, but the coopted Tea Party seized effective near control of the GOP levers of power and is a significant part of the Trumpist coalition. That's what you give up if you run with the Occupy model.

But you retain moral purity, which is the most important thing. I'd have liked to see some Occupy idealists cut that hippy hair, go into respectable politics and bring some left ideas to the mainstream.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

the popes toes posted:

Wouldn't a billion dollars merely be a drop in the bucket? Maybe if you had half a trillion kicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Keeping it 1600 had a podcast on the day before Election Day.

Listening to it in hindsight is kind of hilarious.

• Locked thread