Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spintzel posted:

Isn't Oregon floating around the idea of 10 mil to get a crazy good coach to come there?

Darren Rovell says Phil Knight wants to do this and honestly the thoughts of a shoe executive might be the one area where Rovell actually has a source and is worth listening to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Spintzel posted:

Isn't Oregon floating around the idea of 10 mil to get a crazy good coach to come there?

That's the rumor, but while Jimbo has done well with FSU's advantages I couldn't really see him recruiting quite so well in the PNW. And for 10m they'd probably want an Urban/Saban kind of guy. Not even sure anyone else would be worth that much--or even close.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

That's the rumor, but while Jimbo has done well with FSU's advantages I couldn't really see him recruiting quite so well in the PNW. And for 10m they'd probably want an Urban/Saban kind of guy. Not even sure anyone else would be worth that much--or even close.

No one else would be worth that much or even close, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't do it anyway for the next tier of guys which is where I'd put Jimbo.

Petersen seems like the best fairly established coach for Oregon to throw money at based on success and location, but if they're really actually thinking about throwing that much money around I bet they call everyone from Dabo to Stoops to feel them out.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 15, 2016

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Pat Kilkenny - former Oregon AD, big booster, close friend of Phil Knight - went on the local sports radio show yesterday and slammed Rovell's tweet as "irresponsible journalism" and that Knight never said anything like that.

Some rumors going around that an offer may have been put out and plans being put in place but who knows. I really hope they don't give Helfrich another year, especially if he loses the next two games which is very likely.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

No one else would be worth that much or even close, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't do it anyway for the next tier of guys which is where I'd put Jimbo.

Petersen seems like the best fairly established coach for Oregon to throw money at based on success and location, but if they're really actually thinking about throwing that much money around I bet they call everyone from Dabo to Stoops to feel them out.

Well it just makes me wonder like if you're in that tier and offered say 6m at Texas with more advantages and likelihood for success and 10m at Oregon with several recruiting, historical and geographic disadvantages, if you wouldn't take the path to likeliest success.

It just seems like a huge gamble if you're not going to get Urban or Saban. Those are your only two guys. Maybe Chip Kelly back from the league?

Its just a weird deal. I wouldn't leave for Oregon for 10m if I were Urban or Saban. That bit of money isn't worth the disadvantages inherent to the program, or the pressure to get Knight a title before he dies.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/11/lsu_still_courting_jimbo_fishe.html

Here we go!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Grittybeard posted:

Dabo trying to acclimate to life in Eugene would be a sight to behold.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kittenmittons posted:

Dabo trying to acclimate to life in Eugene would be a sight to behold.

Yeah his hokey youth-minister poo poo wouldn't play well on the west coast I don't think.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress this gay post-trump earth

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

MourningView posted:

60 is right around when you should be trying to lock a coach up for at least another 10 years or so imo

rip joepa

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

They also have beating Florida to focus on right now. It's pretty important.

I love the Tennessee fan's concern for LSU's well-being this week. For what it's worth, I think they'll be just fine.

Jimbo would need to be offered a Count of Monte Christo-sized fortune to leave Tallahassee.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LLCoolJD posted:

Jimbo would need to be offered a Count of Monte Christo-sized fortune to leave Tallahassee.

LSU and Texas can do that

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

JesustheDarkLord posted:

They also have beating Florida to focus on right now. It's pretty important.

I don't even know if I want Florida to win the East at this point. It would arguably be a better end to the season for Florida to hang close and lose to LSU, beat FSU, and end the regular season with 3 losses. That way Florida probably gets a better bowl game than if they get obliterated by Bama as the last game of the regular season. Tennessee I feel is in the same situation.

Whichever of Florida/Tennessee goes to the SEC CG is going get get wrecked by Saban and end the regular season with a horrible loss, four total losses, a boot out of the top 25, and a worse bowl game than if they just didn't go to the SEC CG in the first place.

What will actually happen though is Florida will lose to both LSU and FSU and then I wait for next year to come.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Beating LSU and losing to FSU sounds better.

We're already missing the loving playoffs yet again.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
$125,000 / month to do nothing for over half a decade is the epitome of "amateur athletics."

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Tyrannosaurus posted:

$125,000 / month to do nothing for over half a decade is the epitome of "amateur athletics."

Who was the basketball coach (Georgia I think?) who had some absolutely insane Bobby Bonilla type contract? And how did that end up, or are they actually still paying him?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

LLCoolJD posted:

"Hey here's more money even though you already have so much you can't spend it all. Now instead of having to compete with Clemson you have to compete with Alabama oh and also anything but a national championship is completely unacceptable and means you're fired."

Personally I'd stay in Tallahassee but that's just me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JonathonSpectre posted:

While I agree you, I also wish maximum pain on FSU and I think he's kind of a yokel dipshit. I'd love to see him in BR condemned to a Sisyphean engagement with Saban.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
On the other hand while it's easy to spend other people's money, an extra $20mio guaranteed or whatever LSU is willing to pay is hard to say no too.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Grittybeard posted:

Who was the basketball coach (Georgia I think?) who had some absolutely insane Bobby Bonilla type contract? And how did that end up, or are they actually still paying him?

I think you're thinking of Paul Hewitt at Georgia Tech.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

While I agree you, I also wish maximum pain on FSU and I think he's kind of a yokel dipshit. I'd love to see him in BR condemned to a Sisyphean engagement with Saban.

Don't hate on Jimbo, man.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Holy poo poo, Vegas is offering +300 odds on Strong being the coach at Texas next year, and Herman is the favorite at -130. That is bonkers. I'm pretty sure that after Mack's departure was announced, Strong was the favorite at +200. People really really think Herman is happening. For the non-betting people, that means:

a) They are paying out 3 to 1 if you bet on Strong to stay and he does.
b) They are paying out less than even money on Herman being the coach in 2017 - as in the oddsmakers/bettors consider it more likely than not that Strong will be fired AND Herman specifically will be hired. Last time around, the field was big enough that every possible coach was paying better than even money even after it was known there would be a new coach.
c) They thought Strong was more likely to be the coach in 2014, before he was hired, than in 2017, even though he currently has the job.

Then again in light of recent events maybe the betting markets are imperfect predictors.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 16, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Also god dammit if we hire Les Miles after finally getting Strong to give in and install the sweet sweet high school gimmick offense I crave, I am going to poop directly on a Regent.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

an adult beverage posted:

I don't even know if I want Florida to win the East at this point. It would arguably be a better end to the season for Florida to hang close and lose to LSU, beat FSU, and end the regular season with 3 losses. That way Florida probably gets a better bowl game than if they get obliterated by Bama as the last game of the regular season. Tennessee I feel is in the same situation.

Whichever of Florida/Tennessee goes to the SEC CG is going get get wrecked by Saban and end the regular season with a horrible loss, four total losses, a boot out of the top 25, and a worse bowl game than if they just didn't go to the SEC CG in the first place.

What will actually happen though is Florida will lose to both LSU and FSU and then I wait for next year to come.

I don't care. I want to win the East.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

JonathonSpectre posted:

"Hey here's more money even though you already have so much you can't spend it all. Now instead of having to compete with Clemson you have to compete with Alabama oh and also anything but a national championship is completely unacceptable and means you're fired."

You can spend that much money easy. Hell a Gulfstream G650 is $65M alone. You could buy one of those gigantic boats with a helicopter landing pad and then you have to pay a crew for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you don't think coaches blow through that money in quick order then I have some bad news for you. We see it like crazy in the financial industry.

Houses everywhere. Assloads of credit card debt. Terrible business ideas from friends and relatives. More houses. Boats boats boats. It's basically the same as those rags-to-riches-to-rags stories you see so often about lottery winners, but usually a slower burn.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There was that pyramid scheme Jim Donnan and Tommy Tuberville et al. got mixed up in too.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Tommy Tuberville is the worst and deserves every bad thing to happen to him

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I was gonna say something else but I had this reply stuck in awful app so I'll post it.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I think he beats UTSA and loses to LSU, meaning an 8-win regular season capped off with a mediocre bowl game that could take it to 9 wins. I'm not sure what gives A&M the impression that they should be doing much better than that on an annual basis. With the exception of his first season, Sumlin has won 8 or 9 games every year. Seems like his ceiling is probably about 10 or 11 games in a particularly good year, and he probably won't miss out on a bowl game any time soon, even in a down year. You could do a lot worse, and I'm not sure you could do a lot better in the SEC West, at least until a tornado drops a house on Saban.

We have more money and alumni than LSU at least. Actually looking it up we have the most money in the country this year (I don't think that'll be continuing or if I'm looking in the wrong place).
I don't want to fire him because I know absolutely we can do worse, my first real football memory is the Pacific Bowl with Fran. but I think we could compete for second best in the West with more consistentcy.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

“Jimbo Fisher will be the next head coach at LSU,” Russ Mitchell of College Football News told me on my statewide radio show in Louisiana."

Ruh roh

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

“Jimbo Fisher will be the next head coach at LSU,” Russ Mitchell of College Football News told me on my statewide radio show in Louisiana."

Ruh roh

Jimbo to LSU, Herman to FSU. Callin it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Travis Haney of 24/7 Sports is saying Baylor wants either Tom Herman or Chad Morris to be their next rape apologist.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

Travis Haney of 24/7 Sports is saying Baylor wants either Tom Herman or Chad Morris to be their next rape apologist.

I'm sorry that I'm not getting the job, but I can understand them wanting someone with more experience doing it professionally.

They're not getting Herman, but Morris seems attainable since this year is kind of a buyers' market for coaches.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 18, 2016

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Am I crazy or does Jimbo Fisher have the same record at FSU against an easier conference/division as Les Miles/Coach O have at LSU?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Adun posted:

Am I crazy or does Jimbo Fisher have the same record at FSU against an easier conference/division as Les Miles/Coach O have at LSU?

Unless they're ludicrously successful on level with Urban Meyer or Nick Saban, fanbases get tired of their coach, it's just a fact of life. Georgia fans got tired of Richt, LSU fans got tired of Miles, and I'm sure there are a few half-wits at OU who are ready to get rid of Stoops. They have to know deep down that there's really not a higher level to achieve when you're already winning 9-10 games a year, but the change- the renewed sense of hope- is exhilarating. It's sort of like cheating on your spouse might feel.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

the change- the renewed sense of hope- is exhilarating. It's sort of like cheating on your spouse might feel.

Never let your spouse see this post.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

Jimbo to LSU, Herman to FSU. Callin it.

God I loving hope not.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

so is this haney guy just saying whatever the gently caress comes to mind or what

FBScoops posted:

Purdue: Les Miles is pitching Purdue on bringing Steve Sarkisian with him as offensive coordinator and Mike Locksley as run game coordinator according to Travis Haney of 247Sports. Meanwhile, Haney reports P.J. Fleck is interested in Purdue but has his eye on the North Carolina job should that open.

Also Western michigan to purdue is a lateral move at absolute best.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

so is this haney guy just saying whatever the gently caress comes to mind or what

Also Western michigan to purdue is a lateral move at absolute best.

Purdue plays in the Big Ten and gets the corresponding money that comes along with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Purdue plays in the Big Ten and gets the corresponding money that comes along with that.

Sure but it's also a completely dead-end job.

Granted it helps a little that they're in the worse B1G division but I can't see them ever doing better than 4th in it.

• Locked thread