Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

IAmTheRad posted:

The biggest thing is that over the past few years Frontier is going "No Thargoids aren't real" and then they say that 2.4 will be a 'surprise'.

Yeah, because nobody will expect Thargoids coming out of nowhere.

Or we'll discover something that wiped out the Thargoids just because.

I'm picking Door #3, Wayne! :bernin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thargoids are a year 9 release in the 10 year plan.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Maybe its the Borg instead of Thargoids.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Maybe its the Blorg instead of Thargoids.
All hail Space Friends

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm picking Door #3, Wayne! :bernin:

Well, there are alien ruins around, so something got wiped out...

In other news, the server-side fix today is also fixing neutron stars! Neutron star boosting is back in business!

Also ha ha, the Frontier dev remarked casually in a later post that they never touched the expedition-type passenger missions. It's just the RNG creating extremes on both ends! (Extremely low and extremely high payouts.)

Now that was a storm in a water glass. :shepface:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Libluini posted:

Well, there are alien ruins around, so something got wiped out...

Isn't that kiiiiiiind of already a thing in lore? That the original war happened, Thargoids were more-or-less wiped out, then the Federation hushed it up? Or was that just speculation?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Well Front ear has been working on a game and it gets released soon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/493340/

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
did they shoehorn in some nonsense mmo stuff in that too?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does sharing parks with friends and your friends' avatars showing up as park guests count?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

I finally got my LVL5 clearance from egghead Palin. As I am busy transferring my armada (courtesy of several megatons of poop hauled) to 64 Arietis to reduce the distance to 176 ly I'd like to have your input on a few ships:

My trusty "jack-of-all-trades" Python often sees combat, but is also used for mining, trading between outposts or strolling around. Same goes for a Battleconda. CD or DD? Does the latter profit much from DD5 when turning?

The FdL is equippeed with whatever weapon I want to try out. For moneymaking it's usually lasers. But I also like to throw in a fail rail guns or plasma throwers. Will DD5 cook me? Or will I always regret not having given my baby all the spacehorse power it craves?

And finally I have an Imperial Cutter I am using for trading ATM as I can't afford any combat upgrades and am running on an lvl 1 overcharged PP. I already installed 8A drives as I like to leave gravity wells with a DON. Will DD5 cripple my heat management? I do kinda run hot when scooping.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
Well, I just went to Maiki 3 after the latest patch and I have bad news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLS12_a-fk&t=108s

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Isn't that kiiiiiiind of already a thing in lore? That the original war happened, Thargoids were more-or-less wiped out, then the Federation hushed it up? Or was that just speculation?

Supposed lore IIRC.

Frontier has also come out and said, again IIRC, that it's not Thargoids we'll be getting as aliens. Just that there will be aliens in the game eventually.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Always DD5.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Aren't we the aliens everywhere except Sol? :cthulhu:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Aren't we the aliens everywhere except Sol? :cthulhu:

Thats the reveal.
The alien was you all along.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I want to see those 2001 toblerone ruins in VR, are those sites static or do I just have to fly around and hope to find some?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Thats the reveal.
The alien was you all along.

Pa, what are you saying? The Thargoids... won?

Son, WE'RE the Thargoids.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ruins are static.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
In Lave there actually is a Thargoid tourist beacon. So, there's that.

Also, is there a filter on the galaxy chart to search for heavily trafficked systems so I can get my wake scans for FSD range 5?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hit up literally any station or nav beacon and scan away. Takes like 15-30 minutes to rack up a decent amount of those last time I did it.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Truga posted:

Hit up literally any station or nav beacon and scan away. Takes like 15-30 minutes to rack up a decent amount of those last time I did it.

I've literally spent 3 hours scanning wakes at big stations in boom systems and have yet to get a single Datamined Wake Exception

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

Pa, what are you saying? The Thargoids... won?

Son, WE'RE the Thargoids.

So it is our sacred mission to conquer Holy Terra, birthplace of the mighty Thargoid race!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

illectro posted:

I've literally spent 3 hours scanning wakes at big stations in boom systems and have yet to get a single Datamined Wake Exception

Hail satan

RNG as any kind of central mechanic is poo poo :smithicide:

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

In Lave there actually is a Thargoid tourist beacon. So, there's that.

Also, is there a filter on the galaxy chart to search for heavily trafficked systems so I can get my wake scans for FSD range 5?

I got a bunch fairly quickly just running around a nav beacon.

E:f,b: that's what I get for leaving a draft open.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

illectro posted:

Just to get the obvious out of the way, you do have data storage available and are scanning high wakes?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Truga posted:

Hail satan

RNG as any kind of central mechanic is poo poo :smithicide:

Time for another meltdown? :smuggo:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I want to say there's something more to it than just RNG. I spent an absurd amount of time at a high pop station scanning wakes and only got a few of the right thing. Then on recommendation from a random brown sea post I popped over to Jameson Memorial in the founder's system and was immediately getting as many datamined wake exceptions as I could handle.

Not only was the amount of traffic higher, but the drop rate was clearly different.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LCL-Dead posted:

Supposed lore IIRC.

Frontier has also come out and said, again IIRC, that it's not Thargoids we'll be getting as aliens. Just that there will be aliens in the game eventually.

Braben confirmed there would be Thargoids, and they will be scary as gently caress. The dev team is just being coy, but the wrecks pretty much prove that they are in the game.
Plus who keeps launching those probes and artifacts?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I predict aliens will not meet the insane expectations and there will be much shirt-rending and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I predict aliens will not meet the insane expectations and there will be much shirt-rending and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

They'll make aliens the SOP for all support calls and replace customer service with a bot.

“Hi, my ship exploded for no reason.”
“Aliens.”

“Hey, my modules vanished.”
“Aliens.”

“So, why can't I access the mission board?”
“Aliens.”

“Uhm, this makes no sense but when I logged in…”
“Aliens.”

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

It's gonna be a static 'alien combat zone', calling it now

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

This whole "VIP passengers eat up the entire module" poo poo is the worst. gently caress you frontier.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The aliens will be added as a powerplay faction then never mentioned again :v:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just to get the obvious out of the way, you do have data storage available and are scanning high wakes?

Yep, Have to keep deleting all the other crap I'm getting too.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/drewwagar/status/798490218961768448

Something coming on Thursday?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'll believe it when I see it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I'll believe it when I see it.

It will be a Numbers Station.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Time for another meltdown? :smuggo:

I'm always in meltdown mode over RNG. It's poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

All Pilots Federation members get free weekend passes to Planet Coaster, which, in the Elite Universe, is litteraly a planetary theme park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'd be okay with that and while its fanbase is probably a bunch of spergs, I have a hard time imagining that they're a bunch of spergs who literally hate fun.

• Locked thread