Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

suddenlyissoon posted:

I should just give up hope that there will be any Pixel XL's in 128gb that will be available before the end of the year, right?

They seem to be getting stock occasionally that sells out almost immediately. Just keep refreshing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

GutBomb posted:

I got some cheap google cardboard unit from best buy for $20 and after about 5 minutes my BlackBerry priv throttles down because of heat. It's not surprising that enclosing your phone in a unit and making it do poo poo with the screen on would generate heat.

Eagerly awaiting the first dude on Reddit/YouTube to "life hack" their Daydream headset with a CPU/tower case fan. :haw:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CLAM DOWN posted:

The NFC button does a custom action, you set it in the Live Cases app. I set mine to toggle the flashlight on and off for example, it's just "okay" because it does not work reliably.

I found my case design link and I chose this option: http://i.imgur.com/vtT9ZVP.png Hope that helps!

Oh, that’s a cool thing that it’s supposed to do, a shame it doesn’t really work well. I'd totally go for the case if it was 10 bucks cheaper or so. Do you think the case provides decent protection? I’ve never cracked a phone even though I’ve never used a case, but still would like to know that the case will provide some protection as opposed to a rubber / TPU case or something.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, this is probably the best place for this...

I bought a Google Home the other day. I'm really, really impressed with it - the sound quality and volume is good enough that the price tag doesn't both me much, and the industrial design is pretty excellent. But what is really shocking to me is the voice recognition - it is leaps and bounds better than the Echo. It picks up the hotword much more reliably, particularly when its playing music, and has nearly 100% accuracy registering my commands despite my horrible cold right now. Its missing some functionality right now (lol Google), but it works with my Hue crap, plays music, and gets me the news and weather so I can't complain much. It is a much, much better buy than the Echo right now IMO, unless you are invested in Amazon stuff. It seems to be selling very well too - if it achieves anywhere near the success of the Chromecast, hopefully it will not be abandoned in a couple years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

suddenlyissoon posted:

I should just give up hope that there will be any Pixel XL's in 128gb that will be available before the end of the year, right?

Mine's got a scheduled ship date of 12/16. :iiam:

...though I just checked the website and now there's *nothing* listed under 'status.' :ohdear:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Stan Taylor posted:

So is there any truth to all those battery tips that people spout all the time? Like, that it's bad to charge your battery to 100% or that you should let it charge all the way and then use it until its dead the first time you turn it on or whatever. My Nexus battery was poo poo but I chalk that up to my charging cable being poo poo, and plugging it in using any USB adapter I could find.

Just saw some dude on Forbes repeat the "it's bad to charge to 100%" thing and frankly it sounds like a load of poo poo to me.

Charging early is better for the battery than letting it run down, and going to full is fine because the phone will stop charging and restart when the level drops below like 97% (and you don't need to know that, so it'll lie to you and say it's at 100 the whole time)

I think charging with the phone off can help if the level is screwy in Android, like to to recalibrate it, but I forget if that's actually a thing

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, this is probably the best place for this...

I bought a Google Home the other day. I'm really, really impressed with it - the sound quality and volume is good enough that the price tag doesn't both me much, and the industrial design is pretty excellent. But what is really shocking to me is the voice recognition - it is leaps and bounds better than the Echo. It picks up the hotword much more reliably, particularly when its playing music, and has nearly 100% accuracy registering my commands despite my horrible cold right now. Its missing some functionality right now (lol Google), but it works with my Hue crap, plays music, and gets me the news and weather so I can't complain much. It is a much, much better buy than the Echo right now IMO, unless you are invested in Amazon stuff. It seems to be selling very well too - if it achieves anywhere near the success of the Chromecast, hopefully it will not be abandoned in a couple years.

These things seem pretty neat, but I'm gonna wait until my wife and I can ask it about our agendas and get different responses.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

I briefly switched over to a random wifi network I found and then back to mobile data and it worked again. Wonder what is up with that. Hope iti s fixed soon.

I dunno if Verizon fuckery might be involved. I pulled the sim out of my note 7 and stuck it in the pixel. This shouldn't have an effect according to my knowledge but with Verizon you never know.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PerrineClostermann posted:

I dunno if Verizon fuckery might be involved. I pulled the sim out of my note 7 and stuck it in the pixel. This shouldn't have an effect according to my knowledge but with Verizon you never know.

I use t-mobile, not Verizon, so if you are on Verizon it doesn't seem to be a Carrier specific thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm on Verizon and haven't had even a hint of data trouble with the Pixel.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Does it to me on Project Fi too. I just kill the app and start it up again. Seems to be some bug where the OS doesn't reconnect the app to data. I'm willing to bet it is a bug in job scheduler or something similar.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Hi guys, I was looking to buy a Nexus 6P (and have been since forever, just waiting for prices to drop) but I don't even know where to do it. I went to Google Play and I guess they don't sell them anymore, and Amazon just seems to be third-party sellers. Does anyone have any advice for where to purchase, and also maybe speculation on if I should just go and pull the trigger now or wait until some nearby sale like Black Friday or Christmas or something? I was hoping the release of the Pixel would drop prices but I don't think it's done much of anything.

Anyway sorry for this kind of vague question, just want to make sure I'm doing this right since I've only bought one other phone and don't want to get ripped off here. Thanks for your help!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Hi guys, I was looking to buy a Nexus 6P (and have been since forever, just waiting for prices to drop) but I don't even know where to do it. I went to Google Play and I guess they don't sell them anymore, and Amazon just seems to be third-party sellers. Does anyone have any advice for where to purchase, and also maybe speculation on if I should just go and pull the trigger now or wait until some nearby sale like Black Friday or Christmas or something? I was hoping the release of the Pixel would drop prices but I don't think it's done much of anything.

Anyway sorry for this kind of vague question, just want to make sure I'm doing this right since I've only bought one other phone and don't want to get ripped off here. Thanks for your help!

swappa.com sells used 6Ps for very cheap right now. That's where I got mine

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Don't buy a used 6P. Order through Project Fi at $399 (for the 32gb model). You'd have to activate it on Fi to keep the $399 price (otherwise they bill you the difference??) but you could immediately cancel.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You could also check out B&H Photo if you aren't in New York, you can get it sales tax free which helps, especially if you want bigger than 32G.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Hey guys, I dropped my Nexus 6 a couple months ago, and the screen had some hairline cracks at a corner. Up to a few days ago, it was working fine, but then, I left it on my desk at work and walked away for like 30m, came back and there were cracks all over the screen. The screen no longer turns on, all I get is a quick flash on the top edge if I try do anything.

Is this a problem that can be replaced with cheaply with a new screen? I am mostly confused if I simply need a new screen or a new digitizer also. Or should I just get a new phone?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Femur posted:

Hey guys, I dropped my Nexus 6 a couple months ago, and the screen had some hairline cracks at a corner. Up to a few days ago, it was working fine, but then, I left it on my desk at work and walked away for like 30m, came back and there were cracks all over the screen. The screen no longer turns on, all I get is a quick flash on the top edge if I try do anything.

Is this a problem that can be replaced with cheaply with a new screen? I am mostly confused if I simply need a new screen or a new digitizer also. Or should I just get a new phone?

Most if not all modern phones need a whole new screen if anything other than just the glass goes. I'm thinking you'll probably need the whole assembly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Forget grip tape. New hotness is puffy paint.

http://phandroid.com/2016/11/14/google-pixel-protip-how-to-tips-tricks/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

drat, Phandroid beat me to my next troll idea. Oh well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Daydream promo codes are starting to go out, just redeemed mine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Daydream promo codes are starting to go out, just redeemed mine.

Same.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Was just about to come here to say that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered mine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I ordered and *then* came here to post about it. :)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have one yet.

I presume you all ordered yours early and got them at launch?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yeah, launch day order.

Anyone else annoyed that replying to a text from the notification shade doesn't mark the message as read? It even shows your reply in the shade afterwards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't have one yet.

I ordered on 10/4 but received mine on 10/24.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

Yeah, launch day order.

Anyone else annoyed that replying to a text from the notification shade doesn't mark the message as read? It even shows your reply in the shade afterwards.

Then it'll be some time 'till I see my code, I guess :negative:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Then it'll be some time 'till I see my code, I guess :negative:
Promo says 4 weeks past shipping. They don't want you returning the phone after getting the promo code. Fair enough.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't have one yet.

Didn't you order through Verizon? I could have sworn you were posting about that in the Verizon thread.

Because if you dit you don't get an individual code. You just submit the info to the Verizon rebate website with the promocode GoogleGift to start the process

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Didn't you order through Verizon? I could have sworn you were posting about that in the Verizon thread.

Because if you dit you don't get an individual code. You just submit the info to the Verizon rebate website with the promocode GoogleGift to start the process

I was going to, but ended up ordering off the Google Store.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Got my daydream code too. Is this better off flipping?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Tried the Daydream + Icepack cooling on the 6P last night. :v:

Turns out, the 6P just isn't going to run VR outside of cardboard that well. CPU was at a max of like 40C but the 6P has a weird habit of if it gets too cold, it turns off the 4 big cores which confuses the hell out of me.

However VR Karts actually plays fully playable and looks good, if only the physics were anywhere close to good. The kart's hitbox seems to reach out like 6 inches on any side so cutting close to another kart or a wall stops you flat even though you aren't "visibly" touching.

Oh well, will eventually get a new Daydream capable device with the Snap 830 arrives so not too worried.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

Turns out, the 6P just isn't going to run VR outside of cardboard that well. CPU was at a max of like 40C but the 6P has a weird habit of if it gets too cold, it turns off the 4 big cores which confuses the hell out of me.

However VR Karts actually plays fully playable and looks good, if only the physics were anywhere close to good. The kart's hitbox seems to reach out like 6 inches on any side so cutting close to another kart or a wall stops you flat even though you aren't "visibly" touching.

Oh well, will eventually get a new Daydream capable device with the Snap 830 arrives so not too worried.

Source your quotes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is this better off flipping?
It's a half-baked Google product that will likely never be refined but nerds are salivating over it. What do you think?

Nexus Q that poo poo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's a half-baked Google product that will likely never be refined but nerds are salivating over it. What do you think?

Nexus Q that poo poo.

My nexus q is sitting on a shelf in my closet.

"Your user data is secretly sent to China through a backdoor on some U.S. Android phones posted:

Included for free with some Android phones: “a backdoor that sends all your text messages to China every 72 hours.”

Preinstalled software discovered by researchers on some Android phones sold in the U.S. keeps track of where you go, who you talk to, and what you write in text messages.

“American authorities say it is not clear whether this represents secretive data mining for advertising purposes or a Chinese government effort to collect intelligence,” reports the New York Times:

International customers and users of disposable or prepaid phones are the people most affected by the software. But the scope is unclear. The Chinese company that wrote the software, Shanghai Adups Technology Company, says its code runs on more than 700 million phones, cars and other smart devices. One American phone manufacturer, BLU Products, said that 120,000 of its phones had been affected and that it had updated the software to eliminate the feature.

Kryptowire, the security firm that discovered the vulnerability, said the Adups software transmitted the full contents of text messages, contact lists, call logs, location information and other data to a Chinese server. The code comes preinstalled on phones and the surveillance is not disclosed to users, said Tom Karygiannis, a vice president of Kryptowire, which is based in Fairfax, Va. “Even if you wanted to, you wouldn’t have known about it,” he said.

Security experts frequently discover vulnerabilities in consumer electronics, but this case is exceptional. It was not a bug. Rather, Adups intentionally designed the software to help a Chinese phone manufacturer monitor user behavior, according to a document that Adups provided to explain the problem to BLU executives. That version of the software was not intended for American phones, the company said.

quit buying cheap androids

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EdEddnEddy posted:

please go back to xda

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Does standard Android do custom trainable "Hello/OK" phrases like Moto, yet?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Went to the store to check out the Pixel first hand. I'm in love. This is the phone I've been waiting for all my life. So nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

AlexF posted:

Went to the store to check out the Pixel first hand. I'm in love. This is the phone I've been waiting for all my life. So nice!

I checked out the pixel yesterday and I really liked it but that price tag...