Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Phildaelphia's Poet Laureate Yolanda Wisher's A Letter to the President-Elect and to All of US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dreylad posted:

Phildaelphia's Poet Laureate Yolanda Wisher's A Letter to the President-Elect and to All of US

One day I will learn to avoid reading comments posted on any article that has a message worth reading. :smith:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

One day I will learn to avoid reading comments posted on any article that has a message worth reading. :smith:

It's the mindset of the general populace, if the election's anything to go by.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

In other news, a not that close but still friend that I grew up and is black committed suicide yesterday. One of the complaints that he has been harping on recently is about how America really sees black people as evidenced by the recent election.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Darko posted:

In other news, a not that close but still friend that I grew up and is black committed suicide yesterday. One of the complaints that he has been harping on recently is about how America really sees black people as evidenced by the recent election.

Well gently caress. Sorry for your loss.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Darko posted:

Sorry to hear that, but I'm not surprised. :(

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Darko posted:

drat. I'm not going to pretend I can give more than platitudes to help, but we could at least be here to listen, for what little that's worth.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
The crazy thing is, there's a lot of untreated mental illness and depression, especially in black men due to people believing that black people don't commit suicide and don't trust doctors (and for good reason on the latter).

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Do you feel like that's similar to attitudes based in hyper-masculinity* that's also related to veteran issues & PTSD?

* - not sure that hyper masculinity is the correct descriptor

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Thanks for the well wishes. I only decided to post that in here because observers can see that the effects on POC (and other marginalized groups) are not always just things that people can just "get over" and often work as long-term oppressive feelings that can combine with pre-existing issues and magnify them.

There's no way to definitively blame "a ton of Internet trolls and alt right people saying black lives don't matter because they deserve it and electing a President that says stop and frisk is totally cool" for his suicide, but that kind of stuff definitely does not help - as even the strongest of us internalize things to some degree.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey cool Canada is seeing a huge upswing in racist graffiti, harassment, and our conservatives have started aping trump rhetoric and trying to tap into and grow a Canadian alt-right. People even put up fliers with "ATTENTION WHITE PEOPLE" and then a list of things white people should be upset about and a link to an alt-right reddit group.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

highme posted:

Do you feel like that's similar to attitudes based in hyper-masculinity* that's also related to veteran issues & PTSD?

* - not sure that hyper masculinity is the correct descriptor
I think the term you are looking for is "toxic" rather than "hyper". I am iffy using hyper-masculinity when applied to black men cause of the stereotype that black people in general are hyper/aggressively sexual.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's also the fact that the US has poo poo for mental health care and if it's poo poo for white people you better bet it's way worse for black people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

There's also the fact that the US has poo poo for mental health care and if it's poo poo for white people you better bet it's way worse for black people.

And from what I understand all the medical bias against black people in American physical health services is even worse in mental health services.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

That and doctors used to literally experiment on us.

Trabisnikof posted:

And from what I understand all the medical bias against black people in American physical health services is even worse in mental health services.

Also yes, there is a disturbingly large number of medical professionals that believe black people feel less pain or no pain at all.

Literally magic superhuman negroes. It's actual doctors that think we are all Luke Cage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/04/04/do-blacks-feel-less-pain-than-whites-their-doctors-may-think-so/

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

What does "general" mean in that study?

highme
May 25, 2001

LunarShadow posted:

I think the term you are looking for is "toxic" rather than "hyper". I am iffy using hyper-masculinity when applied to black men cause of the stereotype that black people in general are hyper/aggressively sexual.

Fair point. I'm not sure toxic masculinity is really the correct term either, but maybe it is. Basically I'm trying to describe the cultural norm that any weakness in a man is inherently bad (so yeah, as I write that out, toxic masculinity is apt).

I remember reading an article in 2000-2001ish, when I was spending most of my internet time at UGHH.com arguing about hip hop, about "Homo Thugs". Basically the gist of the article was about how there were certain communities of gay black men where being gay was ok, but being a "human being" was unforgivable. That stuck with me & I've seen parallels with veterans coming back from Afghanistan & Iraq needing to be able to come to grips that having PTSD doesn't mean they're weak.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

botany posted:

What does "general" mean in that study?

General populous I believe.

Edit: of whites

Edit2: just looked it up, the study was on UVA students. So that's among college students at UVA and then a lot of the analysis is on the white participants.

http://m.pnas.org/content/suppl/2016/03/30/1516047113.DCSupplemental/pnas.201516047SI.pdf

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 15, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

populace :eng101:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
nonono they were studying a us army general with the last name populous

i'll see myself out *sprints for the door*

(if occasional goofy shitposting is frowned upon I won't do it anymore, for the record. I mostly just lurk but I love dad jokes and the opportunity was there)

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Edit: of whites

Edit2: just looked it up, the study was on UVA students. So that's among college students at UVA and then a lot of the analysis is on the white participants.

http://m.pnas.org/content/suppl/2016/03/30/1516047113.DCSupplemental/pnas.201516047SI.pdf

Thanks, clicking the link gave me a 404.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Trabisnikof posted:

By my limited experience, you take two juvenile males with identical behaviors, one white and one black, the white kid gets diagnosed with bipolar disorder, sent to a treatment facility where he's medicated, and then stepped down to community based services. The black child is diagnosed with conduct disorder and sent to juvenile detention where he spends the remainder of his formative years in a cell receiving (at best) 30 minutes a week of group therapy, not to mention the whole thing about being railroaded into the criminal justice system.

Even in my blue state, where judges and the Juvenile Department (juvenile probation officers) actively acknowledge this is happening and how bad it is, it still happens regularly. I've had young black guys on my caseload sent to jail for over 5 years for some bullshit like a steady stream of minor probation violations (earned for running away, to go hang out with his friends and smoke weed, which a psych eval explicitly stated was a result of his both being bipolar and having a borderline intellectual disability, 72 IQ), while my favorite little white boy (hugely intelligent, absolute con artist a la Frank Abignale) went on a felony theft spree for several months and only got community probation. The latter situation ended with his no-poo poo stealing a city bus and going for a joy ride, for which he also got 5 years, same as the self-medicating pothead. poo poo's super bad if you're a young black male with a mental health disorder.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Personally speaking, when I was trying to get help with my depression I was sent to a cardiologist to see why I was having random episodes of chest tightness/slow heartbeats (anxiety attacks). When I went there he flat out told me that he knew why I was there and that black peoples heart beat differently than other races. To this day I have not went out to seek any help or treatment since then. The only help I received was from my doctor who prescribed me Paroxetine that only lasted a month.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Something like that happened to me. I had issues as a teenager with anxiety and depression. Was diagnosed as having Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Borderline personality disorder. Later on I found another doctor. He said I was misdiagnosed and I had GAD, and probably bi-polar disorder. The difference between them? My new doctor has 3 black children of various ages and didn't jump the gun when getting to know me and my feelings, actions and problems.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Thaddius the Large posted:

By my limited experience, you take two juvenile males with identical behaviors, one white and one black, the white kid gets diagnosed with bipolar disorder, sent to a treatment facility where he's medicated, and then stepped down to community based services. The black child is diagnosed with conduct disorder and sent to juvenile detention where he spends the remainder of his formative years in a cell receiving (at best) 30 minutes a week of group therapy, not to mention the whole thing about being railroaded into the criminal justice system.

Even in my blue state, where judges and the Juvenile Department (juvenile probation officers) actively acknowledge this is happening and how bad it is, it still happens regularly. I've had young black guys on my caseload sent to jail for over 5 years for some bullshit like a steady stream of minor probation violations (earned for running away, to go hang out with his friends and smoke weed, which a psych eval explicitly stated was a result of his both being bipolar and having a borderline intellectual disability, 72 IQ), while my favorite little white boy (hugely intelligent, absolute con artist a la Frank Abignale) went on a felony theft spree for several months and only got community probation. The latter situation ended with his no-poo poo stealing a city bus and going for a joy ride, for which he also got 5 years, same as the self-medicating pothead. poo poo's super bad if you're a young black male with a mental health disorder.

The very idea of a "conduct disorder" is so horrifically dystopian. There is a staggering amount of racial and gender bias in mental health, more than we can probably comprehend from a contemporary perspective. Much of it boils down to it not being socially permissible to be angry or upset. When bigotry is invisible to your doctors, you must be reacting to "nothing" and thus crazy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The very idea of a "conduct disorder" is so horrifically dystopian. There is a staggering amount of racial and gender bias in mental health, more than we can probably comprehend from a contemporary perspective. Much of it boils down to it not being socially permissible to be angry or upset. When bigotry is invisible to your doctors, you must be reacting to "nothing" and thus crazy.

In the abstract ideal conceptual ideation of conduct disorder, divorced of race or other prejudices (in other words completely unrealistic), it's a junior version of antisocial personality disorder; I'm passing my understanding of mental health pathology, but I think that's a diagnosis basically saying the person's a sociopath, with no real regard for social rules or expectations. The fact they're giving this diagnosis to kids in general is pretty messed up, though I suppose it could apply to certain very rare cases. That it's being given at such frequency and especially disproportionate rates to children of color is pretty drat chilling, and just another example of how statistics demonstrate a clear system bias against minorities with no response or effort from said systems to address it.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Koalas March posted:

Something like that happened to me. I had issues as a teenager with anxiety and depression. Was diagnosed as having Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Borderline personality disorder. Later on I found another doctor. He said I was misdiagnosed and I had GAD, and probably bi-polar disorder. The difference between them? My new doctor has 3 black children of various ages and didn't jump the gun when getting to know me and my feelings, actions and problems.

In your readings and experience does something like this correlate with socioeconomic status?

For example, I'm a black man that was raised middle class (professor and scientist parents), went to private schools my entire life and wasn't really diagnosed until college. I remember retreating from interaction and lashing out at people. Luckily, nothing like that registered as ODD to my peers or superiors so I never had to be shunted through the prison pipeline. And luckily, the doctor's at Princeton diagnosed me with anxiety and started me on medication. Soon after school, I had another counselor who thought that tough love was what I needed and I quickly left after that. What I need in my treatment is a sympathetic ear, not a hard nosed teacher to learn me a thing or two.

FWIW, every single one of them has been white.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dear lord I would kill for a black therapist anywhere near me. Hell any minority.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Another huge problem is the overdiagnosis of intelligent black children (especially one far and above white children of comparable age) with ADD or ADHD because the rote learning material is slow and garbage, but if you're a genius white child they just pull you out of the system and give you all the things necessary to be a superstar.

White people literally cannot handle genius black kids because it breaks their worldview. My mom taught me that after multiple teachers tried to get me on meds, and I lasted a total of 3 weeks on Ritalin. The dirty secret is that it helps average people focus, but turns smart kids into zombies.

It was to the point where a white teacher at a private school outright told my mom I had to be cheating or there was something developmentally wrong with me because there's no way a black child can be that smart.

Dexo posted:

Dear lord I would kill for a black therapist anywhere near me. Hell any minority.

My therapist out here in ATL is a pretty woke white dude that I actually met on my househunting flight down here a month before I officially moved. He specializes working with vets and police officers with PTSD, but he's also worked stuff like how race and socioeconomics plays a role in personality development and coping habits and all that, so he gets a lot of stuff you wouldn't think he would.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 16, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My problem to this day even at my job is my inability to focus on anything. Like the only fun is figuring out the solution but when It comes time to actually do it and I know it can be done easily I just have no interest in actually doing it.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

My problem to this day even at my job is my inability to focus on anything. Like the only fun is figuring out the solution but when It comes time to actually do it and I know it can be done easily I just have no interest in actually doing it.

Sounds like you need to work your way to middle management and flourish like I did lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

negromancer posted:

Another huge problem is the overdiagnosis of intelligent black children (especially one far and above white children of comparable age) with ADD or ADHD because the rote learning material is slow and garbage, but if you're a genius white child they just pull you out of the system and give you all the things necessary to be a superstar.

White people literally cannot handle genius black kids because it breaks their worldview. My mom taught me that after multiple teachers tried to get me on meds, and I lasted a total of 3 weeks on Ritalin. The dirty secret is that it helps average people focus, but turns smart kids into zombies.

It was to the point where a white teacher at a private school outright told my mom I had to be cheating or there was something developmentally wrong with me because there's no way a black child can be that smart.

Jesus, that's hosed up.

Out of curiosity, how would you propose to solve this? I've heard a lot of criticism of gifted programs and the race/class/gender divide they usually exacerbate, and it always seems to end with "therefore, get rid of those programs" instead of "therefore, stop being racist and sexist assholes about admission to those programs." As a black person who was treated the way you were by the education system, do you think gifted programs are even salvageable? On one hand, I can see it being extremely hard to reform in a way that won't promote institutional racism, but on the other hand, when white people say that we need to get rid of those programs entirely it strikes me as a bit more of a "well, burn it all down if we have to let black kids in!"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dexo posted:

For all it's shortcomings, Oregon DHS has made a concerted effort to contract with culturally specific services, so we have multiple service provider organizations owned, operated, staffed, and deeply entrenched in the local black community, and it makes a huge difference in client engagement, and how well services can wrap up families from all angles. There's absolutely no comparison between the service providers who have been living in and a part of the community for decades, whether it be professionally or at church or through mutual relatives or acquaintances or whatever, and the more traditional objective outsider with no real connection to the clients or their everyday lives.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am always weirded out when my patients always ask me where I am from. I work in the Medical Center in Houston and I guess most of the black nurses there are immigrants and they are immensely surprised when I tell them that I was born and raised in Houston. Although now that I think about it, I think I am the only black male non-immigrant nurse on that floor.

The floor also keeps trying to make me a charge nurse but I keep trying to delay it because you don't get paid more for doing it, and its more responsibility. The only upside is that you only have to take care of 1 patient.

Also, working in nursing, you get to see first hand the differences in treatment. Sickle Cell people sometimes live at the hospital because their crisis brings them there often. But I have seen some large amounts of bullshit that doctors pull on us and the patient where they change the patient's pain medication but don't tell the patient. Then when we go to give it, the patient is really upset. It's not as bad as cystic fibrosis as a disorder in terms of life expectancy, but cystic fibrosis gets quite a bit more funding.

highme
May 25, 2001

Should probably take this off line as it's not really apropos to the topic of this thread, but where in Oregon are you?

I'm asking because what started as a t-shirt/banner design I did a few years ago ripping off the Mary's Club logo to Valeri's Club, has morphed to an ongoing project working with Diego Valeri & his family selling merch to raise funds for different causes. The scope of what this could become kind of hit me & my partner on the project yesterday and we'll be looking for other groups to work with in the next few months. Our basic rear end site for the stuff is http://valeris.club if you want to check it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I had the exact same thing happen growing up. Every teacher I had in elementary school wanted to drug me up, to the point of threatening my parents with expulsion if they didn't. I know my "angry black girl" reputation here and people's latent just-world reflexive assumption that any bad thing that happens to someone must at least be a little deserved has everyone reading this imagining what a terror I must have been in class, but I was raised by very strict parents and never would have dreamed of acting up in class or talking back to a teacher. The terrible behavior disorder my teachers wanted to medicate out of me was simply that I finished my class reading early and would read my own book or draw until the rest of the class was finished. Over and over again teachers would interpret this as me "not doing my work," even though I and my parents kept pointing out that it was because my work was finished. I also got labeled a cheater by default, and had to take most of my tests out in the hallway instead of with the class. More than once a teacher threatened me with detention for "disrupting the class" when I walked in to turn in my finished test before the white kids were done, so I learned to just sit and stare at the wall until the end of the period every time there was a test. Doing anything to entertain myself like reading or even doing other homework would have been interpreted as "cheating" by any passing teachers and/or snitchy white kids. All this snowballed into a thing where, much like here with the mods, my reputation as a "troublemaker" earned me harsher punishments and got me singled out for discipline frequently.

There was also one time a white mom saw me talking to two other black kids and warned the PTA that there was gang activity in the school.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I had the exact same thing happen growing up. Every teacher I had in elementary school wanted to drug me up, to the point of threatening my parents with expulsion if they didn't. I know my "angry black girl" reputation here and people's latent just-world reflexive assumption that any bad thing that happens to someone must at least be a little deserved has everyone reading this imagining what a terror I must have been in class, but I was raised by very strict parents and never would have dreamed of acting up in class or talking back to a teacher. The terrible behavior disorder my teachers wanted to medicate out of me was simply that I finished my class reading early and would read my own book or draw until the rest of the class was finished. Over and over again teachers would interpret this as me "not doing my work," even though I and my parents kept pointing out that it was because my work was finished. I also got labeled a cheater by default, and had to take most of my tests out in the hallway instead of with the class. More than once a teacher threatened me with detention for "disrupting the class" when I walked in to turn in my finished test before the white kids were done, so I learned to just sit and stare at the wall until the end of the period every time there was a test. Doing anything to entertain myself like reading or even doing other homework would have been interpreted as "cheating" by any passing teachers and/or snitchy white kids. All this snowballed into a thing where, much like here with the mods, my reputation as a "troublemaker" earned me harsher punishments and got me singled out for discipline frequently.

There was also one time a white mom saw me talking to two other black kids and warned the PTA that there was gang activity in the school.

STOP STEALING MY LIFE STORY TB!

poo poo literally didn't change for me until Ms. Dunbar (black woman) in 7th and 8th grade where she had to fight the school system on my behalf to get me all the books for freshman and sophomore HS. She basically told my grade school "no, not only is he not going to participate in regular classes, he's going to do self-study for the next 2 years with whatever he wants to do, and he's going to help me create and grade tests, since the system can't be assed to send him to high school where he belongs". I was already 2 years ahead and skipping me another 2 years was out of the question because "I wouldn't have been with my peers". But how can I be peers with people I'm more mature than and way smarter than? "Peer" apparently meant "people my age" with zero context.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As a certified Ritalin-taker I do wanna say that it has different effects on different people, as do its cohorts like Adderall and Vyvanse, and that "zombification" versus "focus" is not predictable.

Now I'm gonna shut my white rear end up and I'm ready to listen to alternate experiences but I'm really frustrated by misinformation about AD(H)D treatments because I'd be a total wreck without them.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

As a certified Ritalin-taker I do wanna say that it has different effects on different people, as do its cohorts like Adderall and Vyvanse, and that "zombification" versus "focus" is not predictable.

Now I'm gonna shut my white rear end up and I'm ready to listen to alternate experiences but I'm really frustrated by misinformation about AD(H)D treatments because I'd be a total wreck without them.

And as someone who is black and was in a former life a RN, there is racial bias in ADHD diagnoses, and they even overdose black children that "break the mold" so to speak of the intelligence curve, and dose them specifically to zombify them.

It's actually pretty predictable, depending on the doses, and they regularly try to give adult doses to black children for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I one hundred percent believe that happens and it's horrible. I'm glad we moved to specifically talking about intentional dosing/overdosing because that really is what usually matters, though.

I'd kill for a more substantial dose of Vyvanse than is actually available though, I've built up a horrible tolerance/dependency.

• Locked thread