Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

EvanTH posted:

Yeah those are the things I read. Seems like a big stretch to take offense on that.

I mean, the black men who say "posse" are old too by now, probably the same age as Phil if they remember the era of cowboy movies where the Good Guys use the term. It's about the most neutral word for an entourage you're gonna find. Especially amongst the old white fellas who grew up playing cowboys and indians edit "White Settlers V. Native Tribes" in their backyards.

"Posse" "boys" "crew" "entourage" "hangers on" "leeches" what positive verbiage does Carter expect for the group of dudes who earn their living by being childhood friends with the famous guy? Haha

and yeah gently caress you. They all have jobs. And have done really well with those jobs. Most high level jobs in this world are based around where you were born, who you were born from, and who you know.

Lebron does other poo poo than loving basketball. He has investments, endorsements and other things that his "posse" need to manage and look after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dexo posted:

Keep in mind. This night they were talking about was loving Thanksgiving that Lebron and the team wanted to stay in Cleveland/Akron and have the team over for it.

:prepop:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
points guard baby

https://twitter.com/NBAcom/status/798377061308043264

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Friends and family works pretty well

e: Unless you're trying to be derogatory, which is kind of the point

Well, Jackson's telling a story about Riley being dismissive of LeBron's crew, so some modicum of offense was likely intended when Riley first said it. Trying to put that on Jackson for telling the story and adding in some assumed racist positioning has got to be a foul for reaching on LeBron's Superfan Dancing Pep Squad ft. Mav Carter

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

EvanTH posted:

Well, Jackson's telling a story about Riley being dismissive of LeBron's crew, so some modicum of offense was likely intended when Riley first said it. Trying to put that on Jackson for telling the story and adding in some assumed racist positioning has got to be a foul for reaching on LeBron's Superfan Dancing Pep Squad ft. Mav Carter

my friend, when i read that, i do not see the use of the word posse as being a quote of phil riley. in my opinion, pat jackson was using posse freely, as a descriptor for lebron james close friends, without any attribution to riley or spoelstra. perhaps when he heard the story, another word was used, like crew. or murder

i could be wrong though.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

The real issue is how the New York Knicks best player and superstar Carmelo Anthony will feel about all of it. Posse seemed to be Phil's choice though

edit:
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Berman/status/798589647349813254

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 15, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Heyyy, Jrue's playing Friday. Sorry Timmy, it was fun while it lasted

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

I don't think it actually was on Thanksgiving. The article reads as if they didn't let him stay overnight after a game, but at one point in his career there they did make an exception for Thanksgiving.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Heyyy, Jrue's playing Friday. Sorry Timmy, it was fun while it lasted

Jrue will be on a minutes limit to start with, at least. He is healthy and in-shape, the team says, but they want to work him into "game shape".

And they are the only two players who can competently run the point, so I would not be surprised if they end up spending a lot of time on the floor together, as well.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I don't think it actually was on Thanksgiving. The article reads as if they didn't let him stay overnight after a game, but at one point in his career there they did make an exception for Thanksgiving.

Yeah, that's what I understood it to say, too.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

Jrue will be on a minutes limit to start with, at least. He is healthy and in-shape, the team says, but they want to work him into "game shape".

And they are the only two players who can competently run the point, so I would not be surprised if they end up spending a lot of time on the floor together, as well.

So you're telling me not to dump him in fantasy just yet. Thank you Kibner

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Up Circle posted:

my friend, when i read that, i do not see the use of the word posse as being a quote of phil riley. in my opinion, pat jackson was using posse freely, as a descriptor for lebron james close friends, without any attribution to riley or spoelstra. perhaps when he heard the story, another word was used, like crew. or murder

i could be wrong though.

I'd say given the context of the story, what Dexo said about Thanksgiving, it effectively expresses how Riley felt about the people around LeBron. Isn't that the whole corporate CEO image of Riley? Expects pure loyalty to the corporation and provides none in return?

Dexo posted:

and yeah gently caress you. They all have jobs. And have done really well with those jobs. Most high level jobs in this world are based around where you were born, who you were born from, and who you know.

Lebron does other poo poo than loving basketball. He has investments, endorsements and other things that his "posse" need to manage and look after.

Well, yeah? :confused: Aren't we all watchin' Ball for the fantasy escape of it, because within the playing field observed by refs you get maybe the only legitimate meritocracy in the known universe, a purity that cannot exist in the everyday world of coincidence and collusion?

Cool Buff Man posted:

The real issue is how the New York Knicks best player and superstar Carmelo Anthony will feel about all of it. Posse seemed to be Phil's choice though

Yah I'm worried that after trading for Noah and now this the Knicks won't be getting LeBron :[

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

what about Tyreke how's he gonna do when he's back

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You would never refer to a white person's business associates as a "posse" and it's both offensive as a white person speaking down to a minority, as well as an executive speaking down to and demeaning a player.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Nah I would easily refer to an entourage, a group of people who depend on one single person's celebrity for their economic and social lives, in an insulting demeaning manner. I've done it myself on this very page? It's a weird relationship, paid friend to some of the world's richest teenagers. I'd probably think even less of it if I was in some sort of management position.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

So you're telling me not to dump him in fantasy just yet. Thank you Kibner

No, but plan for a contingency late this month or sometime next month which is when Tyreke is expected to return. He has his first practice with the team today. He isn't to the point of contact practice, though. Tyreke will also be on a minutes restriction when he comes back.

Even then, Frazier will get still minutes, but they will be closer to 15 mpg than 30.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

No, but plan for a contingency late this month or sometime next month which is when Tyreke is expected to return. He has his first practice with the team today. He isn't to the point of contact practice, though.

Even then, Frazier will get still minutes, but they will be closer to 15 mpg than 30.

Gotcha. I know Tyreke's a "better" player but man I like watching Tim play a lot more so it's a shame he has to return

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

EvanTH posted:

Nah I would easily refer to an entourage, a group of people who depend on one single person's celebrity for their economic and social lives, in an insulting demeaning manner. I've done it myself on this very page? It's a weird relationship, paid friend to some of the world's richest teenagers. I'd probably think even less of it if I was in some sort of management position.

Yo like LeBron's whole point was that your view is hosed up and wrong and that's what he's trying to correct. LeBron himself is saying that he's a client of Maverick and Rich Paul and that they have built successful businesses on their own.

A guy who is supposed to be the general manager of an NBA team should know that as well

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Dirk is still out and the Mavs got killed by the Young Dirk aka King Zing aka Porzingod. :negative: 2016-17 Mavs

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

IcePhoenix posted:

Did anyone really predict the Wolves to win 50 games? I was probably the most bullish on them here and even I said 45-ish, 48 as a ceiling if a whole lotta stuff goes right.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/nba-2016-2017-predictions-season-preview-picks-lebron-james-warriors-kevin-durant-knicks-lamarcus-aldridge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/10/18/the-probably-airtight-possibly-stone-cold-lock-2016-17-nba-awards-picks-maybe/

And then there were a lot of 'the timberwolves could be 50 games or maybe not'

The notion was entertained by some!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Gotcha. I know Tyreke's a "better" player but man I like watching Tim play a lot more so it's a shame he has to return

You are not alone in this. My only solace is that it will mean bit players won't be playing as many minutes. They could actually run a backcourt line up of Frazier, Holiday, and Evans. Jrue is the only one who seems to understand how to play off-ball and able to execute team defense, though, so it probably won't get much run.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/KCJHoop/status/798613119970852864

So I can now blame Larry Bird for the Bulls Coach being terrible

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

Some bad luck, defense is problematic right now, a lot of young guys still learning the system. Their offense looks very good and I think the defense will get there. It's just taking a bit for it to translate into wins.

Season is still early and the bulls started slowly with Thibs too. 50 ain't happening but it's early to write them of entirely.

I think we're starting to learn that it's very difficult to enter the NBA as a super atheltic wing who isn't incredibly skilled and just be really good. You need a billion moves and countermoves if you're going to be effective player when your know you're running into the guy at the rim and help is always coming. You need to pass, as well. Get Wiggins the fuckign strobe goggles and get them now. Someone should buy a pair for Josh Jackson right now to speed up his development.

50 wins was always a pipe dream, referring to opium, a great drug, because it would have required deep internal improvement from Towns, Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng, and even Muhammad. Cole Aldrich is a solid backup. Rubio is rock solid when he's healthy. But you cant predict the development curve of young fellers, especially in a brand nu system

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

gently caress Phil Jackson, gently caress Pat Riley,

Melo is cool tho

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

euphronius posted:

IN my experience "posse" is the term fat white guys on sports radio use to complain about what they perceive to be negative aspects of black athletes' life style

It's certainly gotten that way. It was a popular positive term in mid 90s hip hop that was really unpositive before that and has been brought back to its unpositive roots, so people who were maybe hip in the 90s who think they're still hip use it, to majorly embarrassing, or worse, results.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Adun posted:

Yo like LeBron's whole point was that your view is hosed up and wrong and that's what he's trying to correct. LeBron himself is saying that he's a client of Maverick and Rich Paul and that they have built successful businesses on their own.

A guy who is supposed to be the general manager of an NBA team should know that as well

Wait now it's a racist remark because I should respect someone for being good at Business? You don't have to be a good person for that and it's not even cool-looking. I don't go to youtube and look up highlight clips of sick business deals.

edit:
proved myself wrong, here's the result for a search of "Business Dunk"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F45Z1HWjTI

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Spacebump posted:

Dirk is still out and the Mavs got killed by the Young Dirk aka King Zing aka Porzingod. :negative: 2016-17 Mavs

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/798354865852477444

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/798372811467329538?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
^

He's gonna work out with him next summer :D
https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/kristaps-porzingis-at-7-3-still-looks-up-to-dirk-nowitzki-1.12612768

quote:

“I love the kid,” Nowitzki said. “I really wanted to train with him over the summer, but it didn’t work out. Hopefully we can do something next summer.”

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
hopefully zingis can teach him a thing or two

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Zingis' game has definitely matured since last year. The wild drives to the hole are less frequent and he's been playing better off the ball, letting the game come to him if you will.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

EvanTH posted:

Wait now it's a racist remark because I should respect someone for being good at Business? You don't have to be a good person for that and it's not even cool-looking. I don't go to youtube and look up highlight clips of sick business deals.

If you don't know someone and it's none of your business you should probably not treat someone with disrespect. It's not all that hard.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Boosh! posted:

Zingis' game has definitely matured since last year. The wild drives to the hole are less frequent and he's been playing better off the ball, letting the game come to him if you will.

I can't wait to see a confident Porzingis. Also, I'd like to see him in the post more.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

RCarr posted:

Also, I'd like to see him in the post more.

We saw that in Toronto, posting up Lowry in crunch time only to be waved off by Melo :xd:

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Pages later I just want to bring attention to this again.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Does Jake Layman have a nickname because I think it should be "The Professional."

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Adun posted:

I agree that posse is derogatory to target people who only have merit based on a famous friend, I also don't think Lebron's friends exceed that qualification. They are all literally only in the positions they have because they know Lebron.

So I don't know.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress you.

They are literally the ones successfully running a business, foundation etc etc

Rich Paul has other clients.

Maverick Carter negotiated with Nike a loving "billion" dollar lifetime deal. Handles all of his marketing. As well as running a foundation that does a ton of good poo poo in communities.

Don't loving minimize what those dudes are doing.

Yes they are friends of LeBron. But you wouldn't call *insert white dude here* hanger on's if they did what they those dudes do for Lebron they would be his business partners or management team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yes without LeBron they wouldn't have had the opportunity to do what they are doing. But they still had to put in the work and do the schooling needed to get to the positions they are in.

LeBron gave them the opportunity to put in work and get paid for it and they made their own careers out of it. It's not like they are just crashing at LeBron's crib and not significantly paying back the investment James made in them.

And it's offensive as poo poo to minimize that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rich Paul was successful outside of lebron .

I don't know the other guy .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rich Paul handles the Basketball agent negotiations.

Maverick Carter from what I understand handles his "brand" (marketing negotiations and deals and foundation work).

• Locked thread