Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol one of the most :goonsay: moments ever

he literally just gave an example of how the tutorial teaches you to do something you cannot do in multiplayer, and how the addition of an R1-cooldown in MP spotting confuses the gently caress out of anyone new to the game (and makes veterans complain about a "spotting bug" so loving just lol)

quit covering for dice :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, there's a cooldown? I thought it was that I had to have the crosshairs directly over them. I was rapid-clicking it trying to tag enemies. :psyduck:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
:lol:

I'm watching this bullshit "Mow Down Enemies As The Sentry" tutorial video on the main menu. This guy says "the sentry will not regenerate health so you need a medic."

literal misinformation in the main menu

(to be clear, sentry health regen just takes way longer to kick in. so you should still medic the gently caress out of any sentry you see)

Snak posted:

Wait, there's a cooldown? I thought it was that I had to have the crosshairs directly over them. I was rapid-clicking it trying to tag enemies. :psyduck:

It's silent, and confuses the poo poo out of everyone

They added it to nerf spotting spam

Just notice how in campaign you can just clickclickclickclick

In MP, if you "miss," there's a silent cooldown before you can "shoot" another spot

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Seems like you have to be "spot on" with your target too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow that's really dumb, Considering that spotting is already putting the enemy in your sights and not shooting them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I only casually play battlefield games at this point but I'm pretty sure cool-downs on spot have been a thing for awhile. Idk it just doesn't seem that complicated to me, I played the single player and multiplayer at the same time and had almost no issues.

I mean I guess it's sort of annoying that spotting works differently but why is it such a big deal? They altered some of the mechanics for single player to make it more fun in the context of linear 1 v 1 million AI missions. Would you rather they just not have a campaign so that you don't get confused? If they used the same mechanics in single player it wouldn't work as well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would like the campaign to function as a tutorial for the multiplayer.

Like I said, I haven't played a BF game for 10 years.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol he's gonna die on that hill and no one is gonna spot him

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I would like the campaign to function as a tutorial for the multiplayer.

Like I said, I haven't played a BF game for 10 years.

But why does it have to be a tutorial? The single player should be a fun thing to play that is different than multiplayer. Tons of games do this and I have never seen people complain about it. Just because BF1 is primarily a multiplayer game? What would be the point in single player if it plays exactly the same as multiplayer anyways?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Popete posted:

I only casually play battlefield games at this point but I'm pretty sure cool-downs on spot have been a thing for awhile.
They have and it does make some sense to have them. Otherwise everyone would just be running around spamming RB in the hopes of tagging a distant enemy that they can't actually see themselves.

BF4 was a little more generous in how closely you had to aim to get the spot though. I feel like they should go back to that level considering that in BF1, enemies that are shooting don't show up on the minimap anymore.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would like a tutorial for the game.

I mean, gently caress, I basically got called a moron as soon as I expressed confusion about the controls in this thread, so...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They have and it does make some sense to have them. Otherwise everyone would just be running around spamming RB in the hopes of tagging a distant enemy that they can't actually see themselves.

BF4 was a little more generous in how closely you had to aim to get the spot though. I feel like they should go back to that level considering that in BF1, enemies that are shooting don't show up on the minimap anymore.

Yeah this is how I remember it before. You could just hold down spot and pick up enemies you couldn't actually see and there was no penalty for it (cooldown).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That DMR/SMG spot-on-ADS barrel gadget in BF4 was so loving good. Auto spot on panning or much more lenient spotting with the periscope would be welcome. As it is, I'm not sure why you'd choose it over the other scout gadget options.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the Periscope rules in operations because it essentially becomes a way to direct your lovely pubby sniper fire. Just look at whatever ridge their team is all sniping from and light em up

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snak posted:

I mean, gently caress, I basically got called a moron as soon as I expressed confusion about the controls in this thread, so...

LOL if u haven't been playing Battlefield since Pinball Dreams and don't jump right into multiplayer and rack up 50-0 scores from day 0. Git gud n00b.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Snak posted:

Unfortunately this game doesn't have a multiplayer tutorial. Just like plenty of others. I hope we can move past this, together.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not quite a fan of 64 player operation becoming the "default" option. 40 is crazy enough as is most of the time.

Lord is it gonna take a long time to finish with 250 tickets though.

Also didn't know that killing enemy stragglers after a zone was taken increased your ticket count.

Guess I'm partially to blame in all my losses since i like tostay and fight the enemy as long as possible

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.
I don't usually read the PC thread so I decided to go back a week and see what their game experience is like, there's a recurring theme of people saying operations almost never progresses past the first map, like 9/10 times. Dunno what's different for them but most of my Ops games usually see the second map, unless the defenders are really good the behemoth effect usually gets even crap attackers to the end of the first map. I'm guessing this change to tickets is focused on the former experience. First set on Ballroom Blitz is going to become even more interminable.

anyway BF space program is alive and well, observe how I angle this grenade off my face to obtain some kind of gravity boost for my colleague on the right

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wudsi do you have a mic?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Popete posted:

I only casually play battlefield games at this point but I'm pretty sure cool-downs on spot have been a thing for awhile. Idk it just doesn't seem that complicated to me, I played the single player and multiplayer at the same time and had almost no issues.

I mean I guess it's sort of annoying that spotting works differently but why is it such a big deal? They altered some of the mechanics for single player to make it more fun in the context of linear 1 v 1 million AI missions. Would you rather they just not have a campaign so that you don't get confused? If they used the same mechanics in single player it wouldn't work as well.

Spotting cool down has been around for a while, you're right.

I also seem to remember in bf4 that it made an audible click when you hit the cool down.

My favorite part of this patch is flares working after you die. :D

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.

Beastie posted:

Wudsi do you have a mic?

Technically yes. I had to clear everything out for decorators a few months back and I haven't unpacked it as I never used it that much. I'll try to find it.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Wudsi is silent but strong. Like one of my anime waifus.

Bummed they didn't up rush player counts w the patch. 12v12 is too small and I don't like 32v32 operations, but maybe the other changes make that better. Will have to give it another shot

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Popete posted:

I think the other BFs had similar cooldowns. In part because people use them like a cheapo man radar, and because they are probably expensive for the server (but not more than other stuff).
I like it, and use it has much has possible, but for BF1 on consoles should have been replaced by a automatic system because the average player don't know that it exist. Literally, don't know that it exist. I can play two or three servers withouth finding anyone spoting. Is solitary here in the Town "Spawn R1".

Snak posted:

Is hard for people understand this. But I suspect most people that currently play BF1 on consoles are new to BF games. At least play like people new to BF games.

If you want any advice or opinion piece or something, just ask.

Tei fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 15, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Wudsi is silent but strong. Like one of my anime waifus.

Bummed they didn't up rush player counts w the patch. 12v12 is too small and I don't like 32v32 operations, but maybe the other changes make that better. Will have to give it another shot
Isn't Rush 16v16 now? I haven't played it in the full game yet but I'm pretty sure it was that way in the beta.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

How great would it be if the spotting flare actually lit the little beacon over the bad guy's heads instead of just showing them on the mini map? I mean it would be broken as hell, but so good.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Go into the new soldier customization menu to check it out; it's showing all my class ranks at 0 so I can't actually buy anything that should be available.

Just lol

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
32 v 32 operations is good now that you have 250 tickets

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Went to play for the first time today on Xbone, and the game crashes anytime I finish loading a map. It's crashed about 10 straight times now without being able to enter a single game. Any ideas?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I am havin a blast with this game. I really like the squad system w/ squad orders and whatnot.

Edit: holy poo poo just got steamrolled 6-100 in 2:55 on ballroom blitz domination.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 16, 2016

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

How great would it be if the spotting flare actually lit the little beacon over the bad guy's heads instead of just showing them on the mini map? I mean it would be broken as hell, but so good.

It doesn't? I just thought I was lovely at spotting people. gently caress.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Just gonna say, gently caress this game's shotguns is for no other reason than if you have an xbox elite controller and your R trigger is set to the lighter touch setting, shotguns do not fire at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So are there recommended unlocks for guns? What should I spend my war bonds on?

Edit: holy poo poo I just found where I can increase my fov.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 16, 2016

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've taken the bayonet off my main gun like 5 times now and each time I load into a new match it slaps it back on :dice:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What does taking the bayonet off do?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Snak posted:

What does taking the bayonet off do?

Affects recoil and slows weapon-draw speed, probably some other stuff too.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the Periscope rules in operations because it essentially becomes a way to direct your lovely pubby sniper fire. Just look at whatever ridge their team is all sniping from and light em up

Scouting is immensely important in this game and can really turn the tide of the game if it's done right. Spotting helps snipers, flares help assault teams rushing into objectives, it's a good way to counter snipers, it lays a bright Red Bull's eye for bombers, and if your team is losing and gets the mega support vehicle spotting determines whether that behemoth is gonna clear the entire map and flip every objective to your side or just get bombed and fail in 3 minutes.

There's a reason my class ranks are: 3, 3, 1, 10

I'm not the worlds best sniper Chris Kyle but I help my team a lot

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Like seriously I can't stress this enough have a scout loadout with spot flares ready to go and if your team is losing and gets the Big Guns you should immediately switch to scout and light up all objectives and heavy vehicles like duuuuh

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
The operation balance changes seem atrocious. I'm not sure if there is anyway for attackers to lose now and most operations end without even needing a second attack. I thought it was just for 40 man, which had better balance to begin with, but apparently 64 is an attacker stomp now too. The game mode is terribly unfun right now.

Edit: Naturally I land to a fight with around 50 snipers in total at Fao. Yes, you can still lose as an attacker if no one does anything.

Chazani fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 16, 2016

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
https://youtu.be/LRPq8FJ1cSw

I made a garbage

Edit: there is a bug where "hey, this first guy I spotted doesn't show up. *spots 7 more times* "hey, that guy I tried to spot 7 times wouldn't spot"

-where is he?

"he's on a..."

-i just died.

"rock by D."

-Dank_King_Kong_Country?

"Oh, you found him."

-did he have a martini?

chaymie fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
So anyone able to give me feedback on arty truck w this patch? Is the damage adjustment noticeable? I prefer to use it from afar rather than up close due to the light armor