Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
USAA has been great for ten years here.

Except home loans. They're universally loathed and I didn't know about it until after starting the mortgage process.

Everything was a loving nightmare. I spent two weeks trying to explain to a loan officer that I don't work for my payroll company please contact my actual employer with those questions.

Edit: they also wanted a letter from my employer stating I'd be coming back to the same job with the same pay, i just sent them a pamphlet about USERRA.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Ok never mind the fact that I am reaching shin levels right now but I just burst out loving laughing because of this song. It made me think of all the idiots still in the army.
https://youtu.be/FQNaGzUA4-0
The lyrics were "You should see my gun, it's such a pretty one. I can shoot the paper target! I can shoot the paper target!" Except he loving screams shooting the paper target. Reminds me of goddamn idiot hardcore pog types.

he also apparently doesn't know who fast Freddy is.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

psydude posted:

Their commission on trades is kind of steep, too. What does everyone recommend for normal trading? I don't care about day trading, I hold long enough that I don't need fancy trading features.

I'm moving to Fidelity.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

USAA has been great for ten years here.

Except home loans. They're universally loathed and I didn't know about it until after starting the mortgage process.

Everything was a loving nightmare. I spent two weeks trying to explain to a loan officer that I don't work for my payroll company please contact my actual employer with those questions.

Edit: they also wanted a letter from my employer stating I'd be coming back to the same job with the same pay, i just sent them a pamphlet about USERRA.

Mortgage originators are desperate enough that you can usually shop around to get a good deal. I talked mine down from all of the extra fees and only had to pay the VA funding fee in the end.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Just found out someone I deployed with died this morning in a suicide bomber attack on Bagram.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Soulex posted:

Just found out someone I deployed with died this morning in a suicide bomber attack on Bagram.

At a loving post-Veteran's Day fun run. I hope someone gets shitcanned for that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We killed Bin Laden why the gently caress are we still in Afghanistan?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Nice! posted:

We killed Bin Laden why the gently caress are we still in Afghanistan?

ANA refuses to sign the hand receipt for SHITSHOW, 1 EA.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Obstacle2 posted:

At a loving post-Veteran's Day fun run. I hope someone gets shitcanned for that.

Actually it'll be an OER bullet for ensuring memorial fun run executed one week later

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
-demonstrated ability to make tough decisions by setting maximum possible number of subordinates up for success at posthumous promotion boards by planning mandatory Veterans Day run

-improved morale by expediently filing paperwork for 100% unit awarding of the combat action badge

-successfully revised the COIN manual by demonstrating effectiveness of counterintuitive, anti-common sense techniques such as forcing unarmored troops to conduct movements in the open on a date so predictably chosen that enemy forces' ability to forecast our planning is significantly disrupted

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The enemy, of course, being enlisted personnel.

Imagine Obama being briefed on that. "Yes, sir, a fun run. In Afghanistan."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
fun run? sounds like a blast

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Obstacle2 posted:

He was one of the contractors but he was a retired full bird so, possibly backlash.

Also I always knew a fun run would result in death. loving called it 7 years ago.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

Actually it'll be an OER bullet for ensuring memorial fun run executed one week later

I loving am angry that you are legit right about this.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Moral of the story: gently caress you if you're still in

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think when people are loving dying at stupid as gently caress bullshit "fun runs" in a warzone it's time to call it good and leave. Afghanis aren't ever going to sort their poo poo out and nobody would care anyway because 90% of the general public forgot the war in Afghanistan is even still going on.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

we got mortared during a 10k fun run on speicher in 2005

then i got yelled at for taking cover in the bunker instead of continuing to run

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
when i got to KAF i was going into the dfac and the mortar alarm went off and i was the only one who took cover because like a moron i forgot they do weekly tests of the alarm system or whatever.

thanks thats my mortar story

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
We got mortared on a regular enough basis I guess, once every few weeks for a few times in a 48 hour period. Countermortar guys would always hoot and holler about getting some but IIRC it was always either QRF or a nearby patrol that would nab them.

We were also on a COP so no formations ever.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I thought it was a peacetime army now I'm so confused.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I wonder if the line of duty investigation will see if they were wearing their reflective PT belts.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What do you think is the first thing they circle on the investigation photos?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

maffew buildings posted:

What do you think is the first thing they circle on the investigation photos?

probably will run facial recognition software on people who either had long hair, didn't shave, or were falling back in order to process UCMJ

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
someone already looking in to seeing what sort of benefits can be denied due to death on a voluntary run

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Proud Christian Mom posted:

someone already looking in to seeing what sort of benefits can be denied due to death on a voluntary run

lack of heart is a preexisting condition they didn't disclose at meps, counts as fraudulent enlistment

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Proud Christian Mom posted:

'voluntary'

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Man we got mortared a few times a week at Balad. Sometimes it was far enough away that you didn't hear anything but he god voice but sometimes it was close enough to hear it come in.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

Man we got mortared a few times a week at Balad. Sometimes it was far enough away that you didn't hear anything but he god voice but sometimes it was close enough to hear it come in.

poo poo, it was daily the first time I was at Shank. We still did the 173d Brigade run despite that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Soulex posted:

i stayed in balad for a couple weeks for medical training and we got mortared daily. kinda hard to care when it's PT uniforms on base and a 24 hour px, pizza hut, burger king, movie theater and two swimming pools.

at speicher we were mortared probably a couple times a month and we were 100% full battle rattle w/ pro mask strapped to you outside of your LSA, thanks to the rainbow warriors of 42nd inf running it

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The FOB I was on only got mortared once while we were there. Lobbing IDF at a cav troop backed by aviation in the middle of a wiiide open valley is A Bad Idea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BAF got rocketed fairly regularly. Ghazni got mortared/rocketed/recoiless'd 2-3 times a day if not more. It was enough to kill a few people and wound a few more over the time I was there.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
KAF got mortared a few times while I was there. FOB Wilson or whatever it's called now got mortared every now and then. RPGs were the method of choice at our COP.

Since there was a river going through Zhari there was a lot of stuff to give cover so we rarely ever found who was firing off IDF from what I remember.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kalsu was rocket city. You would think that they would run out of rockets eventually.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I was in a dumb COP at the bottom of a pretty steep valley, so ridgelines to shoot down into the COP in every direction. Just the absolute lowest ground because Army or whatever. Anyway a cool thing they did was set up rockets on time delay up in the hills and a day later or whatever they'd cook off and slam into the base or nearby or whatever. We only ever figured this out because we had a snowstorm / freeze out of nowhere and my buddy tripped on patrol and rolled down a hill and as he was climbing out of the snow realized he was wrapped up in some wires, which caused everyone to collectively poo poo themselves. We called EOD out and they uncovered the whole thing and anyway it was kind of funny that were dumping $Texas amounts of ordnance at the mountains every time we got hit when in reality the dudes that did it were probably long gone.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In Iraq they would presight our COP and mark the spot with something, then drive over it with a hilux and Fire the mortars from the back. Long gone.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Pretty safe to assume that every loving inch of Iraq and Afghanistan is presighted. gently caress you can probably buy some Jihadhi GPS program now

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Oh yeah they did the mortar in the Hilux thing too and I'm a little sketchy on the details but I guess it happened enough that someone cleared an Apache to blow up the truck but it was the wrong truck and instead of mortars it was filled with doctors? I was at a different COP when this went down but it didn't do much for our ~Afghan partnerships~

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

ASAPI posted:

Kalsu was rocket city. You would think that they would run out of rockets eventually.

for real though

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
We got mortared semi-regularly, but the only hit they ever got just ended up killing a handful of ANA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TBeats posted:

KAF got mortared a few times while I was there. FOB Wilson or whatever it's called now got mortared every now and then. RPGs were the method of choice at our COP.

Since there was a river going through Zhari there was a lot of stuff to give cover so we rarely ever found who was firing off IDF from what I remember.

As soon as I got off the plane in Afghanistan we got rocketed at KAF. It was a fairly normal occurrence until they quit for the winter, then they picked up where they left off in march or so. We had 5 in a day at one point, and every now and again the radar would fail to acquire the incoming rockets so we'd get the British rocket-lady announcing a rocket attack after a series of explosions :haw:

• Locked thread