Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's the message given if the to-hit roll would have hit but the addition of the to-hit penalty from your armour is what made you miss. Unless you are some sort of living god in terms of stats and skills you cannot fully remove that penalty for something as encumbering as plate (18). If you have maxed Armour skill and matched strength to the ER, you will still have 2-3 penalty to your to-hit roll as an example.

Train your weapon skill, fighting and armour (and shields!) to alleviate the missing in general for heavy armours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can a formicid who sacrifices a hand still wield a two-handed weapon?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but if I'm remembering it right they can, but they can't use a shield (even if they use a normally one-handed weapon) after sacrificing a hand.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

cheetah7071 posted:

Yes.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Haha good joke Crawl

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that a vault? Please tell me that's a vault. Because that is loving amazing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
pity it's only one of the stairs

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Serephina posted:

Is that a vault? Please tell me that's a vault. Because that is loving amazing.

It is! I'm glad you like it.

Trick: Moving diagonally towards one of the krakens a space or two will effectively deal with the other three since they'll be out of LOS. (Though I think this technique got nerfed a little by whoever committed the vault, they rejiggered the corners.)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I came across a Kraken Simulacrum in the barnacled rune vault and it had regular tentacles. It was weird.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/morgue-InternetKraken-20161115-020844.txt

So Hep is pretty good. Beat my record again because gargoyles are still stupidly good, and Hep is a really good god once you get going. Having a meatshield you can always hide behind is very good for an archer once you get portal projectile. Lets you handle a lot of stuff safely. I don't think I got malmutated once this game just because my faithful ghost was always blocking LOS for me. The Knight is pretty durable even in extended, and if you make liberal use of idealize it'll pretty much never die. Transference is a skill I probably didn't utilize enough; it was only at the end of my run that I realized you can transfer the ghost to an empty space and also the space you occupy. I thought it had to be where an enemy was.

odiv posted:

I came across a Kraken Simulacrum in the barnacled rune vault and it had regular tentacles. It was weird.

Pretty sure that's just a visual error. Nobody has made tentacle sprites for simulacrum, so the game uses the normal ones.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What's a sprite? :confused:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Those guys look pretty susceptible to being beached by a Fedashite with sunrays.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo the salt mines have like 3-4 areas packed full of randarts. Good job they are fun but the enemies should shout random lines from saltybet chat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

People are 15-runing and I haven't even won a game yet. :negative:

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i have stopped training axes at 26.9 just to avoid that awful title multiple times

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sojenus posted:

i have stopped training axes at 26.9 just to avoid that awful title multiple times

New suggestion: change Axe Maniac to Axecutioner

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i would never train another skill

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can I ask why I'm standing in a lava swastika?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I - the ring "Desenaih" {*Slow rPois Str+4 Dex+4 Stlth+}.

This will get me killed, right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Ye reach down an' op'n tha door!
_Xom thinks 'tis be hilarious!!!
Xom has very strange standards for 'hilarious'.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ok guys, it is time for my MiBe to grow up and swap to the holy gods because I am determined this fucker will 15 rune.

So far I have the two lair runes, and I am not sure which to do next and at what time to swap. I guess maybe I want to keep Trog while I do vaults and slime?
Also, do I want to swap to TSO or Zin and at what time / in what order?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

tote up a bags posted:

Ok guys, it is time for my MiBe to grow up and swap to the holy gods because I am determined this fucker will 15 rune.

So far I have the two lair runes, and I am not sure which to do next and at what time to swap. I guess maybe I want to keep Trog while I do vaults and slime?
Also, do I want to swap to TSO or Zin and at what time / in what order?

you want to swap TSO first (unless you desperately need zin's curemut/rmut) to get a blessed weapon, ideally using crypt to max out piety with him. and yeah, i'd stick with trog for the rest of the non-demonic/undead branches.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Xom has very strange standards for 'hilarious'.

Everything's funny when you say it in a funny accent.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nevermind, hosed up in depths. GOOD poo poo gently caress CRAWL

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Trogs wrath is super dangerous but easier to avoid if you can go invisible. TSO does not let you go invisible. Just something to consider for future attempts at god switching. You can always tag in TSO afterwards for your holy brand.

If you really want easy piety with any good god after switching you can scum the abyss. Plenty of unholy/chaotic enemies there.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
code:
 R - the cursed +0 helmet of Badeis (worn) {rF+++ Regen+ Dex-2 SInv} 
Don't mind if I do, thanks

Edit: nevermind, Xom just gave me horns :shepface:

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 15, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What is up with you fools posting incredible randarts lately? Oka and the floor god have blessed with me crap like an artifact +1 chain mail with rPoison. Weapons I've had more luck but nothing ridiculous.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mystery Prize posted:

code:
 R - the cursed +0 helmet of Badeis (worn) {rF+++ Regen+ Dex-2 SInv} 
Don't mind if I do, thanks

Edit: nevermind, Xom just gave me horns :shepface:

Xom thinks this is hilarious

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its a positive mutation! Be thankful.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
First GrCk win of the tournament. Stayed Xom the whole time out of masochism.

154 Xom altars made in total.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Prism posted:

Pine Stalker.

Scrolled past this, did a double take, scrolled back up, started applauding. A+ 11/10.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I think this is the first game I've had where I've encountered packs of Shard Shrikes, even though I know they've been in for ages.

Was the first game. loving things.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Wolfechu posted:

I think this is the first game I've had where I've encountered packs of Shard Shrikes, even though I know they've been in for ages.

Was the first game. loving things.

Harpy skeletons always scare the crap outta me because they look like the shard shrike model, kind of.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just lost a really good character in Zot because of the stupid acid vault. Got hit up to like -20 corrosion fighting the draconians outside waiting for my tele to kick in. Instead of putting me literally anywhere else, it put me in the middle of the vault. Then I died trying to chain chug heal wounds while I waited for the second tele. Wouldn't of died if I had remember that resistance potions give rCorr. But the worst part is earlier I dropped my rCorr ring in a Zig because "I already cleared Slime, not really gonna need this anymore."

This is the third rune capable character I've lost lately. Feeling pretty annoyed with myself.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Staff of fire for a DEFE on D:2. Here comes the splattening.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there any RC wizardry that will keep me from stopping an autoexplore when I see a gray piece of equipment? (Helmet for a Fo, etc)?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Just lost a really good character in Zot because of the stupid acid vault. Got hit up to like -20 corrosion fighting the draconians outside waiting for my tele to kick in. Instead of putting me literally anywhere else, it put me in the middle of the vault. Then I died trying to chain chug heal wounds while I waited for the second tele. Wouldn't of died if I had remember that resistance potions give rCorr. But the worst part is earlier I dropped my rCorr ring in a Zig because "I already cleared Slime, not really gonna need this anymore."

This is the third rune capable character I've lost lately. Feeling pretty annoyed with myself.

That sucks, dude. I've learned to always have rCorr handy even after Slime, because Caustic Shrikes (and to a lesser extent Yellow Draconians) are loving terrifying.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I lost a really good TrMo^F because I forgot I was carrying a wand of heal wounds. And a potion of haste. And my god abilities. And scrolls of teleport.

:bang:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Playing mostly casters makes me forget what badasses DE Blademasters are in melee. I shouldn't have gone to elf 3. Oh well, There goes that VSAm (turned Be).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Never not drink purple

• Locked thread