Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

One Plus 3t announced. Basically, a better processor, bigger battery, and slightly higher price tag.

https://oneplus.net/3t

CPUQualcomm® Snapdragon™ 821
Quad Core, Kryo™: 2x 2.35 GHz, 2x 1.6 GHzGPUAdreno™ 530RAM6GB LPDDR4Storage64GB / 128GB UFS 2.0SensorsFingerprint sensor, Hall sensor,
Accelerometor, Gyroscope,
Proximity sensor,
Ambient light sensor and Electronic Compass
PortsUSB 2.0, Type-C
Dual nano-SIM slot
3.5 mm audio jack
Battery3,400 mAh (non-removable)
Dash Charge (5V, 4A)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I checked out the pixel yesterday and I really liked it but that price tag...

It's priced like other flagships, Google is shooting for the general population now.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

the OP3T will also have a better camera sensor. Seems like if you're going to buy a OP3, this is a worthwhile option to choose instead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lost the thread somehow but:

100% Dundee posted:

If money is an issue, depending on usage and your current contract price you might actually save money with a new Pixel + google Fi. I did the google financing for my Pixel XL and only signed up for the 1GB/month Google Fi package(since it doesn't really matter, if you go over they just charge you the exact same rate) and my bill for the XL + google Fi is only $63. It will go down even more next month since I've only used 400mb of data so I will get a $6 credit. It should end up being cheaper than my $30 Tmobile prepaid goon plan.

Just something to think about if your current Sprint plan is anything near $60 or more. Also if you can get by without using a ton of data, I try to always just use mine on wifi at home/work/etc. Probably save another $5/month or so if you go with the regular pixel vs the XL as well.

Yeah, Google won't let me finance a phone, so I'm stuck until I get a new job :(

Melraidin posted:

Are you certain the charging indicator is coming on when plugged in? On my Nexus 5 I had a strange issue where it could be plugged in when the battery was basically dead and work fine for a long time. But, it wouldn't be charging, so as soon as I took the cord out the battery alert would come up. I had to prop it up a bit just to get the plug angled right. It was pretty crap but did work.

Yeah, the charge icon comes on, the battery appears to charge as Normal, but I'll be out and using an app, and it'll just shut off after a seemingly random tap and act dead.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Melraidin posted:

Are you certain the charging indicator is coming on when plugged in? On my Nexus 5 I had a strange issue where it could be plugged in when the battery was basically dead and work fine for a long time. But, it wouldn't be charging, so as soon as I took the cord out the battery alert would come up. I had to prop it up a bit just to get the plug angled right. It was pretty crap but did work.

Yeah, those micro usb sockets wear out/bend weird after a while, and it no longer works. I did the trick of recentering the middle prong, but eventually I just had to buy a wireless charger for my N5. My computer doesn't detect anything unless it's aligned like the Bundy family Fox viewing positions.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Nitrousoxide posted:

One Plus 3t announced. Basically, a better processor, bigger battery, and slightly higher price tag.

Quad Core, Kryo™: 2x 2.35 GHz, 2x 1.6 GHzGPUAdreno™ 530RAM6GB LPDDR4Storage64GB / 128GB UFS 2.0SensorsFingerprint sensor, Hall sensor,
Proximity sensor,
PortsUSB 2.0, Type-C
Dual nano-SIM slot
3.5 mm audio jack
Dash Charge (5V, 4A)

Seems like a decent phone, and it seems like they've gotten over some of their worst problems from their past but a HUGE RED FLAG: "Launching with Android 6.0"

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Proximity sensor,
PortsUSB 2.0, Type-C
Dual nano-SIM slot
3.5 mm audio jack
Dash Charge (5V, 4A)

So, specced higher than a Pixel XL for $300 less?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If things go how Nexus did last year, if you wait until around Christmas time, Google may drop the Pixel Prices $50 like they did with the Nexus ones last year if you are on the fence about getting a Pixel.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Thanks for the heads up! Just ordered mine.

And it just shipped! Wow.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zero VGS posted:

So, specced higher than a Pixel XL for $300 less?

At this level specs mean almost nothing.

edit: By that I mean, the OP3t may very well end up being a better phone or better value, but the specs tell you basically nothing to help you make that decision.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

At this level specs mean almost nothing.

But look at the data sheets on this processor!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wasn't the OP3 the one with a huge 6GB RAM on the spec sheet but the firmware only made 4GB usable?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

No it had 6G but still had some stupid aggressive app management that killed off apps more than what you would have seen with a 2G phone, that and it was still using almost all 6G but for who knows what.

They since fixed that in an update, but it was silly at the time. So far it sounds like the Pixel is the only phone able to get close with its level of multitasking.

However the one disadvantage of the OP3(T) is you can't use it on Verizon or Sprint if you are on those carriers. That and its screen is only 1080P if that matters to you.

There are also other good players in the GSM market with 6G ram, 1440P, and up to 256G UFS so while the One Plus looks great with the new 821 and such, there are other options around the same price range too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EdEddnEddy posted:

If things go how Nexus did last year, if you wait until around Christmas time, Google may drop the Pixel Prices $50 like they did with the Nexus ones last year if you are on the fence about getting a Pixel.

While possible, I doubt it's going to happen this year because demand remains high and Google actually executed on what they were planning.

The 5x and 6p were kind of a clusterfuck in execution and weren't positioned as they planned in the market so they had to go all firesale on them.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Didn't OnePlus also claim the OPO3 wouldn't have the same throttling issues other 810 phones had because they were using a newer version, when it turned out they were using the exact same chip and it had the same issues? And also didn't Chrome run like butt for a bit because they specifically targeted it in software and turned the four big cores off while the app was active in the foreground?

What I'm saying is don't trust the specs or support on a OnePlus phone, because every device they've released has not lived up to their overblown claims. They make good budget phones in that there's always a compromise, despite their tagline.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Wasn't the OP3 the one with a huge 6GB RAM on the spec sheet but the firmware only made 4GB usable?
The ram management made apps get kicked too soon and so it didn't really use all 6GB. It was fixed in literally the first post-release patch which was only a couple weeks after launch, and the phone is actually really good but goons hate OPO and probably always will so continue buying phones that explode or whatever

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

OPO has had good hardware since their first device, however their company had some pretty shady crap going on when they had the Invite Only purchase stuff going on and that earned them a pretty good chunk of negative publicity that probably will take some time to burn off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The reason to buy the Pixel is that the software is so perfectly matched to the hardware. There doesn't exist another android device that comes close yet to this level of usability polish. That's why the compromise of the $400 seems so poor now.

Put it this way. There's a greater gap in usability between phones in the $400-$500 price range and the Pixel than exists between those same phones and a $130 G4 Play.

Go super cheap or buy the pinnacle. The middle ground doesn't get you close enough to be worthwhile for the price jump over low end.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
One of the kids dropped my wife's S7 this morning, cracking the front in one of the corners, but the real problem was it kept firing the Home button every few seconds. I walked over and gave it a casual tap on the side of the desk.

why does solve so many problems

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Aaronicon posted:

One of the kids dropped my wife's S7 this morning, cracking the front in one of the corners, but the real problem was it kept firing the Home button every few seconds. I walked over and gave it a casual tap on the side of the desk.

why does solve so many problems

Random guess: dropping it caused something to come loose which then lodged itself in a position that was causing a short that made the phone think that control was being constantly pressed. Hitting it on a hard surface then dislodged the object, removing the short.

Or magic.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What's the budget phone of choice nowadays? the Moto g4? I am currently back on my Moto X(2013) and it's noticeably slower than the nexus 6 I was using. I've been researching today, and it seem kinda deciding on a g4 play, or maybe a good deal on a used Nexus 6p.

I would buy the Pixel, but I really like the concept of bezel-less phones that are suppose to come out next year, so I want to hold out paying for a flagship until those come out.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

The reason to buy the Pixel is that the software is so perfectly matched to the hardware. There doesn't exist another android device that comes close yet to this level of usability polish. That's why the compromise of the $400 seems so poor now.

How specifically? For $900+ Canadian I need something more than It Feels Smooth otherwise the middle ground suits me fine. Like I'm not trying to be abrasive, I have an open mind but what exactly does this mating of the software to the hardware bring me in quantifiable performance?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

How specifically? For $900+ Canadian I need something more than It Feels Smooth otherwise the middle ground suits me fine. Like I'm not trying to be abrasive, I have an open mind but what exactly does this mating of the software to the hardware bring me in quantifiable performance?

If the one plus three t was a 5, the pixel would be a 17, maybe even 18.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sleepwalkers posted:

Didn't OnePlus also claim the OPO3 wouldn't have the same throttling issues other 810 phones had because they were using a newer version, when it turned out they were using the exact same chip and it had the same issues? And also didn't Chrome run like butt for a bit because they specifically targeted it in software and turned the four big cores off while the app was active in the foreground?

What I'm saying is don't trust the specs or support on a OnePlus phone, because every device they've released has not lived up to their overblown claims. They make good budget phones in that there's always a compromise, despite their tagline.

The oneplus 3 has the 820, maybe the oneplus 2? Not sure about chrome I guess.

AFAIK the oneplus 3 is pretty good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Go to a store and try one, it should be immediately obvious.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Pick the Pixel if being on the latest and greatest version of Android is important to you. No other phone will match it and last as long.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Go to a store and try one, it should be immediately obvious.

What specifically should I be trying? Any particular aspects of it that are noticeably improved and will help me justify the price tag? Did you even read my post?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

What specifically should I be trying? Did you even read my post?

Try using the phone. Try navigating, switching things around, the camera, etc. It's not rocket science.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Does resetting/restarting Android on a phone help give it new life? I was thinking of trying to do this to my Moto X since it seems to have slowed down a bit recently, maybe even try Cyanogenmod for Marshmallow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitrousoxide posted:

Proximity sensor,
PortsUSB 2.0, Type-C
Dual nano-SIM slot
3.5 mm audio jack
Dash Charge (5V, 4A)

- free texting to China

monster on a stick posted:

Does resetting/restarting Android on a phone help give it new life? I was thinking of trying to do this to my Moto X since it seems to have slowed down a bit recently, maybe even try Cyanogenmod for Marshmallow.

A factory reset can quicken it up a little bit but at the end of the day the hardware is wearing out and the everyday tasks get more and more resource intensive. The mobile web isn't basic HTML anymore, more poo poo's being e2e encrypted, more apps running bigger in the background, and the OS gets bigger and denser due to security and functionality competition. Phones are effectively always on devices and you've got poo poo that just breaks down over time in there. They're disposable over a 2-3 year timeframe at most and the cheaper ones are definitely designed for a shorter lifespan than that considering they barely get a year of support if you're lucky.

Feel free but it won't give it new life by any means. More like a quick shot of painkillers and speed that wears off once you're getting back up to the number of apps you normally have.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 16, 2016

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got my Pixel today. This phone is sick but holy poo poo does it get hot. Like, really hot. I've had all my apps downloaded and installed for a while but this phone warms up the second I start doing a few things. Please tell me this is temporary because I'm worried to even plug it in tonight.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cage-free egghead posted:

Got my Pixel today. This phone is sick but holy poo poo does it get hot. Like, really hot. I've had all my apps downloaded and installed for a while but this phone warms up the second I start doing a few things. Please tell me this is temporary because I'm worried to even plug it in tonight.

This sounds very unusual. My first Note 7 got hot. My second Note 7 and my Pixel XL do not. Maybe you should keep an eye on it...

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Mine was warm for the first day, but has not gotten hot since then.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

PerrineClostermann posted:

This sounds very unusual. My first Note 7 got hot. My second Note 7 and my Pixel XL do not. Maybe you should keep an eye on it...

Yeah. I mean I've owned like 50 smartphones but never have felt one get warm like this one is. Maybe I'll give it a day before I jump to conclusions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My XL is consistently very cool. I'm sorry for your potential bomb.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
No you're not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

It's not really quantifiable in the terms that you are seeking. The device is just a flat out joy to use. I've pretty much stopped using my tablets (including Pixel C) because the experience doesn't click as well.

I can't say "It does x better. It launches z program faster." It just gets out of the way and works.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I received my Pixel today as well. It got hot when it first did the transfer from my old phone and downloaded the apps.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Going to add to the "pixel no hot" team here.

It gets a little warm but never hot. My S6 Edge got insanely hot at times, couldn't even hold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah my Pixel doesn't get hot unless it's doing a round of updates while I'm browsing poo poo.