Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hm, crazy with a shotgun, Kaz, are you going to be hunted by Charlton Heston?

And I never disclosed anything to the potential client about Rev except to say this is the style of work blah blah, quick turnaround, blah blah. It turns out she had lost clients to them, and then she started crying, and it was uncomfortable.

The like eight months later she got back in touch to see if I still needed work. I had actually kind of heard about her from a friend of a friend saying she was high maintenance and a little crazy. I was on the phone for over an hour when she told me about her divorce, nearly dying, her business pretty much not operating for at least six months while also claioming she still had the same stellar roster of transcribers, all with multiple degrees. One was the former transcriptionist for Parlaimant! Oh, and then she told me that I couldn't possibly work differently than her and still be good because she has the best comprehension of everyone ever and she needs a five second playback delay when she's working so I must be lying. Also her clean verbatim was completely subjective and if I worked for her then I would definitely have my work sent back at least six times on the first assignment until I learned her preferred method.

Yeah, sometimes people have bad days and you think I"ll give them the benefit of the doubt. They've been in the business for 20 years, she can't possibly be the one so and so was talking about. But nope, crazy like a broom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Astro7x posted:

Does anybody write for Writer Access and find that worthwhile?

I need to find some new sites to work for :-( Writers Domain is a complete disaster right now for those that don't have access to the new projects

Aside from Textbroker, Writer Access has proven to be one of most stable and reliable content mills out there. IMHO lucrative work is sparse until you're at 5 or 6 stars and/or build up your Love List with dozens of clients.

I thought WD nuked the category cherry picking so people wouldn't keep bitching about how prewriters were sucking up all of the work. Doesn't seem to have made a difference, though.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh look, I got an email from DT that it is mandatory for me to attend a style guide session for an hour. So it's not them picking on people who are screwing up because I haven't done work for them in like, eight months.

Also, really I'm not an employee so unless they're paying me, thanks but no.

Has anyone seen any problems from not attending this as it says I'll be blocked from their scheduler if I don't.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Oh look, I got an email from DT that it is mandatory for me to attend a style guide session for an hour. So it's not them picking on people who are screwing up because I haven't done work for them in like, eight months.

Also, really I'm not an employee so unless they're paying me, thanks but no.

Has anyone seen any problems from not attending this as it says I'll be blocked from their scheduler if I don't.

I got that last month, then I got another email a day later that said nevermind, you don't need to do it.. so maybe you'll get out of it.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Well, it's unpaid apparently, and I'm not an employee. So I'm not going to be available. ever.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I didn't get that and I should be on their scheduler currently, although dealing with 12 year old brats for 7 hours a day sounds like a better use of my time than risking a DT file that feels more tedious and pays half as much on top of it.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Is there some problem inherent in Windows 10 in regards to its ability to keep my drat foot pedal connected. I'm starting to have to replug the drat thing in if I haven't used it overnight, and it's starting to become more of a problem... maybe it's some power saving option?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Domestic Amuse posted:

Aside from Textbroker, Writer Access has proven to be one of most stable and reliable content mills out there. IMHO lucrative work is sparse until you're at 5 or 6 stars and/or build up your Love List with dozens of clients.

I thought WD nuked the category cherry picking so people wouldn't keep bitching about how prewriters were sucking up all of the work. Doesn't seem to have made a difference, though.

I still need to fill out hat massive profile on WA.... good to know though.

You can still prewrites on WD it's just much more difficult. Instead of being able to submit them all within a few minutes, it can take half an hour as people start going through the verticals.

I don't get that community at all... you have people claiming that there are people using bots to submit "thousands" of articles within the first 10 minutes of the day. They are literally just making poo poo up to place blame on someone else for why they can't make money

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

thylacine posted:

Is there some problem inherent in Windows 10 in regards to its ability to keep my drat foot pedal connected. I'm starting to have to replug the drat thing in if I haven't used it overnight, and it's starting to become more of a problem... maybe it's some power saving option?

Yes, in fact, it's more than likely exactly that. Windows 10 has a power saving option that disables peripherals in certain situations. I learned about this when my joystick was disconnecting whenever it was rebound to a virtual controller, so if your transcription program rebinds your foot pedal you'll need to disable the USB power saving feature in regedit. I'll try to find the exact directions in a moment.

Edit: found a possible solution that doesn't involve regedit: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

I also ran into this: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-annoying-windows-usb-problem.htm and since I remember "selective suspend" being a term I fiddled with in regedit this might also work.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 19, 2016

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

Yes, in fact, it's more than likely exactly that. Windows 10 has a power saving option that disables peripherals in certain situations. I learned about this when my joystick was disconnecting whenever it was rebound to a virtual controller, so if your transcription program rebinds your foot pedal you'll need to disable the USB power saving feature in regedit. I'll try to find the exact directions in a moment.

Edit: found a possible solution that doesn't involve regedit: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-xp-tips/prevent-windows-from-powering-off-usb-device/

I also ran into this: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-annoying-windows-usb-problem.htm and since I remember "selective suspend" being a term I fiddled with in regedit this might also work.

Thanks for the tips, I turned off power saving in the device manager for the hub it's connected to, hopefully that'll do it.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
For anybody wondering, although that email about training for DT does in fact say required training, and on questioning HR lady said it is required for ICs, she finished by saying "we can't force you, it's highly recommended" I'm hoping because they've finally realized that California State Law says that any REQUIRED or MANDATORY training must also be PAID. Because words have meanings. Sigh.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

For anybody wondering, although that email about training for DT does in fact say required training, and on questioning HR lady said it is required for ICs, she finished by saying "we can't force you, it's highly recommended" I'm hoping because they've finally realized that California State Law says that any REQUIRED or MANDATORY training must also be PAID. Because words have meanings. Sigh.

For ICs?

Also, I still work for DT weekly and this garbage training thing has never come up for me.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Independent contractors, so transcriptionists. Apparently it's supposed to be required for newbies and they're going to roll it out through the established folks. It's just weird language saying it's required and then when I challenged because I said I don't understand how something that's deemed mandatory can be unpaid and I asked for an explanation on that. The response was that it's just highly recommended. So I don't know whether it's the kind of "highly recommended" where I won't get any work until I do it because they are taking attendance or what, but honestly, an hour long training session meant to help streamline the process? The biggest thing is that I know there have been times when changes have been made to the style guide since I've worked there and it isn't just batch sent out to everyone on their books. And the fact that I sent Sally an email to get an up to date copy to see if there's been big enough changes to demand this kind of advanced training and she directed me to HR is just stupid. Anyone conceivably doing QA should have free access to a copy of any of their in house docs to hand off to contractors if they ask, or just record the training sessions and provide us with a link for more detailed explanations. And maybe if they want to streamline their process perhaps start by training their QA properly and consistently, bleh.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm really loving these Antarctica files. I mean really, really love them. I mean they are adorable and perfect and certainly in no way do they make me want to loving commit murder.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Time Dissolver posted:

I'm really loving these Antarctica files. I mean really, really love them. I mean they are adorable and perfect and certainly in no way do they make me want to loving commit murder.

They're still doing Antarctica poo poo? What the gently caress, the documentary that's using that footage is already airing.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

The Time Dissolver posted:

My favorite part is the instruction to definitely capture any of the principles even if they're speaking off camera. Well it looks like they've crossed mic signals and are carrying on a conversation in another camp. Oh, and also QA hasn't responded to me getting in touch with them about it, wonderful. Well I'm just ignoring that, as has been the precedent. Also how can I discern which grizzled white guy is talking when they're all wearing scarves and loving goggles??? "must have names" I'm sure they do, gently caress if I know what they are.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So has all other form of internet money making been piece mailed for cheap to other countries (India etc) except transcription? I remember working for Appen Butler and making 15 hourly. . .

Is that stuff still around? Internet work is usually tedious and boring so I'll set a reasonable rate of to earn 300$ monthly from it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The search engine rating stuff is still around, just most of the people in this thread don't do it any more. I have a friend who does it still, and it sounds like the core basic search engine ranking stuff is less prevalent, but they've brought up other projects relating to mobile search that work is basically the same way.

Writing also exists, there's just not much change in the industry so there's not much to talk about.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I did end up getting one of those DT demands to watch their bullshit, during which I was booked for something else and completely unavailable. I guess they were serious about their threats because I just checked and my scheduling account is listed as being outright blocked (Not even just deactivated, which it's been before).

So there we go :v:

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, nope, not the problem I had. I would definitely send an email, my account was deactivated so I just kept asking how it could bee mandatory but unpaid until HR lady buckled. But I'm Canadian, and annoying. So think of someone who is persistently very polite, like your judgy grandmother. :-)

Edit: Also how the gently caress do they have enough work for the 70+ people signed up? Oh, God, they've overhired again.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
gently caress me for taking this Antarctica file. I thought 30 minutes couldn't be that bad. I was wrong. Also lol at the fact that they dropped the pay from $1.00 a minute to .85 cents on this garbage show.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
What about medical transcription?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

McSlaughter posted:

What about medical transcription?

I think Legal might be a better choice if you're looking--as far as I know both need a little bit of actual schooling and certification. Legal has all kinds of wacky formats, and medical requires you to at least recognize 50000000 different drug names/body parts/conditions.

From the FB transcription group I'm in, it sounds like medical is being taken over by computers faster than legal, that's why I say legal.

If you manage to find a few good media clients though, you can make ... some money, not a lot... but more than DT.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

thylacine posted:

I think Legal might be a better choice if you're looking--as far as I know both need a little bit of actual schooling and certification. Legal has all kinds of wacky formats, and medical requires you to at least recognize 50000000 different drug names/body parts/conditions.

From the FB transcription group I'm in, it sounds like medical is being taken over by computers faster than legal, that's why I say legal.

If you manage to find a few good media clients though, you can make ... some money, not a lot... but more than DT.

I had originally bought a pedal with the intention of doing media. But, my neighbor said his daughter had worked in medical transcription and made a lot more. I am a fast typist, scoring at 125wpm from cursory tests. So, I feel like I could use those typing skills in work like transcription. I actually work in a medical field now (eyes and eyeglasses, at an optometric/optical office) so I have a familiarity with EHR/EMR systems and a lot of the regular medical jargon... But it is still different from plain medical.

And I was reading on the Bureau of Labor Statistics that medical transcription is reducing their numbers due to the reasons you mentioned. So I'll look into legal, too. Thanks!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
The problem with medical is the amount of tiny files and depending on where you're working for being left liable if a doctor throws out a vastly wrong prescription amount. Or at least that's what the program I was in had said. Legal is great because they will always need at the very least human editors. And media is years away from being properly handled by tech because having multiple voices on the same recording can make the computer lose its poo poo.

Legal can be certified for really cheap as well too. I could get the legal certification for my provide for about $60

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
edit: zzz.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 9, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was never asked to do the orientation class thing at DT, but this week I was informed that "DT values your opinion and wants to know what you thought about the recent training you received." and asked to fill out a survey. The survey was actually just a test asking questions about the guide and how to do things. Answer all the questions and I guess that's the end of that.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, so I've been picking up some work from DT for the last couple of weeks, just one thing here and there but for actual gently caress's sake, is everything motherfucking dialogue now?

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Okay, so I've been picking up some work from DT for the last couple of weeks, just one thing here and there but for actual gently caress's sake, is everything motherfucking dialogue now?

It was last time I was picking up DT work, and not only dialogue, dialogue in lovely soundscapes (AKA, regular dialogue files) and they stopped paying the dialogue bonus, too.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

One of my clients has had enough issues with Paypal that he switched to wire transfers. Can wire transfer fees be written off on taxes the same way Paypal fees can?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Slightly Used Cake, you're Canadian, right? I've got a couple 'Nadians that are in need of jobs so I've been trying to get them started at Daily Transcription but one of the hangups they're having is that I can't explain how the tax or whatever works for them, being that I'm US.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hey, so same as you guys really, make sure to total up all your income at the end of the year, keep all your receipts and don't try to hide money or the CRA will find you. :-)

Seriously though, DT has a specific form they have you fill out as a non national, it's really easy and straightforward. Plus of course being able to write off all your tech is nice.

Honestly the only difference is not having to wait around for your T4 to come in at the end of the year, unless they also have a real job and then yeah, wait for that. Also there's the hang up of having to pay both sides of the CPP contribution and the payroll tax, but you can set up a pay quarterly thing with the CRA through their My CRA account. Actually the CRA makes it really easy to give them money. Oh, but tell them don't bother doing an EI contribution, as a self employed working out of the house they will do nothing for you if your wrists fall off, but they will gladly take your money for that nothing that they're doing. You're not legally bound to make EI contributions, you are however legally bound to make CPP contributions over a certain income threshold. And when in doubt get a tax person or Turbo Tax to help you. Also you can write off a consultation with an accountant to sit you down and explain everything. Oh, and if they're in Halifax, tell them to go to the Wyse Road H&R Block office and see Denise, she's my tax person and she gets it. :-)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Thank you kindly, SUC!

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm getting ready to try re-applying to DT as a transcriber.

It was 2 years ago when they rejected my test submission, and I had no idea what I had done wrong. All I know is that I spent too much time working on it.

I just downloaded the files and it's the exact same test video as last time. Would any kind soul be willing to take a quick look at my work and give me some pointers?

edit: screw it... I'm gonna try something else.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 5, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
DT's little training meeting thing is as wonderfully poo poo and low-rent as I imagined. Horrific sound, bad management, starting late, and they're using a free Spanish version of PowerPoint for their presentation. This on top of trying to include video examples (One of which is a clip from something I'm pretty sure I did the transcript for, too) but are entirely unable to make them work in the meeting so they had us all download them independently.

Now to sit here eating chips and wasting an hour on crap I've known since basically month one on the job almost four years ago.

E: lol they're listing poo poo here that I've gotten yelled at before for doing, like "Just list the project's name in the subject line"

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 5, 2017

Killfast37
May 7, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

DT's little training meeting thing is as wonderfully poo poo and low-rent as I imagined. Horrific sound, bad management, starting late, and they're using a free Spanish version of PowerPoint for their presentation. This on top of trying to include video examples (One of which is a clip from something I'm pretty sure I did the transcript for, too) but are entirely unable to make them work in the meeting so they had us all download them independently.

Now to sit here eating chips and wasting an hour on crap I've known since basically month one on the job almost four years ago.

E: lol they're listing poo poo here that I've gotten yelled at before for doing, like "Just list the project's name in the subject line"

Is it even legal for DT to require a mandatory unpaid training session for independent contractors?

Also as far as taxes go will DT be sending any forms come tax season? I've paid my quarterly taxes but this will be my first year filing as self employed.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
"We wanted to reach out and make sure everything is okay."

Lol.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Killfast37 posted:

Also as far as taxes go will DT be sending any forms come tax season? I've paid my quarterly taxes but this will be my first year filing as self employed.

You should be getting a 1099 from them before the end of January. Just make sure everything matches up. One year they decided to report part of my earnings to a state I don't live in.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Killfast37 posted:

Is it even legal for DT to require a mandatory unpaid training session for independent contractors?

No. Mandatory and Unpaid are mutally contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
But as a 1099 contract employee you're entirely their bitch, and they can stop giving you work if you don't do it.