Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Deloria posted:

I think that... it wasn't a business at that stage.. Not really. It was still people trying to be a business.
Businesses dont write personal attacks. I think if Sandi was mean to Beer it was a defensive reaction. I hope so. That wouldn't excuse it though.

I still think shes pretty awesome and I admire her. I think she gets a lot of poo poo for being her - and absolutely she is a human being who is going to have good days and bad days.
I think anybody abusing anybody is a fecking tragedy - but seeing the way she is abused here I can't help but discern a certain double standard?
I don't think she should have been the one writing that letter - simply because stuff like that is a customer support thing and should be handled neutrally.
I think thats what customer support and such are for.

Im not sure if that was the answer you were seeking.

Tell us yr views on trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Why? because chris roberts once said a bunch of stuff and everyone believed him.

why did everyone believe him? because he made a game in 1990, that got progressively worse as the series went on. some people played that game as babby's first pc game and it marked their childhood.

a bunch of 45 year old men wanted to feel like a kid again, tossed money at old man roberts. When questions were raised as early as 2012 they were shouted down by 'but it's chris roberts!!'

these 45 year old men shouted loud enough that a 14 year old girl saw that poo poo and went oh man chris roberts!

repeat x 1 million.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hi guys.

Sorry, I got up at like 3am and posted a little bit after catching up on hundreds of posts, and now I'm loving around at work after catching up on hundreds of posts, and could you guys maybe be less like some kind of locust shark hybrids when the water is chummed by naive scammees?

Thanks in advance for nothing you pieces of posting poo poo.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

nawledgelambo posted:

I'm in the business of letting people dig their own graves.

Also Melkor, that explains why anything I post on reddit is never seen, considering I'm at like -100 karma now. loving internet points

Open the permalink to your comment on an incognito window. If you don't see the post, it's not approved. I was going to say that you should email them every time you post but considering how fast things are escalating after I bitched them about this stupidity I don't think I'm going to be needing approval from today onward.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

somewhere in the middle of this chris roberts got some dudes to make a mining ship that had a tractor beam, and another one that had a rotating cargo section.

they were really cool, and some of the 45 year old men in here saw it and started shouting CHRIS ROBERTS as well. they are just as dumb as deloria.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I'm old as gently caress, but seriously, advice to go out and spend your cash on stuff that is real and not imaginary is kind of basic. That old adage that 'if it sounds too good to be true it probably is' - with SC it's 'If you are imagining this game is too good despite a large amount of evidence to the contrary, and it may in fact be a de-facto scam it probably is'

BYOB K
Feb 25, 2016
I should probably pay some tax: Dogge Tax

Am I doing this right?

BYOB K fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 15, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Blaine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HKS posted:

they were really cool, and some of the 45 year old men in here saw it and started shouting CHRIS ROBERTS as well. they are just as dumb as deloria,

I don't know about that. They should know better, which kind of makes it worse…

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cynic posted:

Hey Deloria, last time I had $6k disposable cash I went for a two week luxury holiday on a tropical island and a man bought me booze and seafood pretty much all day, I saw some cool sharks and spent some quality time building ornate sandcastles, and I still had enough money left over to buy a sweet laptop so I can post on SA on the move and in high fidelity AND play SC if it ever comes out (just buy the game with a base ship?). I personally recommend you get a refund, fly somewhere hot on the equator, and when you're lying on golden beaches ponder how the game might come out some day, it might be glorious, but frankly you don't give a poo poo because $6k will buy you some truly nice life experiences, or a handful of imaginary spaceships which may or may not ever materialise.

Asl?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

cynic posted:

a large amount of evidence to the contrary
nope no evidence none

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

I played the original WC, and WC2, and they were cool for the time, even memorable, but CR's track record speaks for itself (hint: it is full of disappointment and poor choices)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

Here we go. :D
It took how many pages before that one was rolled out?

I was expecting the poison W, but that one was more likely.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Chris must be SO SO SO salty about Braben. Not only was Braben's first game earlier and more important in gaming history than Chris', his current game which is essentially that old game fully realised on modern hardware with modern sensibilities actually loving WORKS, and is developing in a steady, timely and largely drama free manner, after a few early hiccups. Braben is also clearly utterly passionate about PLAYING games, not just using them as a stealthy way of telling lovely WWII space stories.

Chris just write a loving terrible novel and stop using backer money to write your lovely lovely movie fanfiction

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

a lot of those leaks get proven by CIG themselves weeks or months later

lol

Yeah, I've actually, no poo poo tried to avoid finding stuff out a couple of times just so I don't ruin the surprise for myself later. It's much more fun to try to predict what crazy fuckup CIG is going to perform next, discount ships lol, who expected that?

A 14 year old has aged physically but not mentally four years waiting for this game and I think it'll be worth it at any price.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Fatkraken posted:

Chris must be SO SO SO salty about Braben. Not only was Braben's first game earlier and more important in gaming history than Chris', his current game which is essentially that old game fully realised on modern hardware with modern sensibilities actually loving WORKS, and is developing in a steady, timely and largely drama free manner, after a few early hiccups. Braben is also clearly utterly passionate about PLAYING games, not just using them as a stealthy way of telling lovely WWII space stories.

Chris just write a loving terrible novel and stop using backer money to write your lovely lovely movie fanfiction

Did you ever watch the Ted Talk where Braben talked about procedural generation? Contrast that with Chris's mumbling mush-mouth retardation lol.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

A crane

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
You know who else targets 14 year olds?

Games Workshop

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Some guy

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Yeah, I've actually, no poo poo tried to avoid finding stuff out a couple of times just so I don't ruin the surprise for myself later. It's much more fun to try to predict what crazy fuckup CIG is going to perform next, discount ships lol, who expected that?
as always, CIG is their own biggest enemy

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Also, while we're on the topic of the complete lack of reasons to think Chris ever made anything worth-while, let's repeat this old gem:

Decrepus posted:

Did you ever watch the Ted Talk where Braben talked about procedural generation? Contrast that with Chris's mumbling mush-mouth retardation lol.

Got a link? All I've really seen is the stuff he talked about during Gamescom as far as the roots and the future of E:D (which was nice too, and also in sharp contrast with the incoherent nonsense CRobber was stumbling through at the same time).

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

Fucks sake . SM will be in 2.6 and out before Christmas like Delorian is an 18 year old girl and not a 30 year old neckbeard laughing into his vape box mod.

:drat:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

MeLKoR posted:

Open the permalink to your comment on an incognito window. If you don't see the post, it's not approved. I was going to say that you should email them every time you post but considering how fast things are escalating after I bitched them about this stupidity I don't think I'm going to be needing approval from today onward.

After you posted that I tested it out (earlier today when I was evacuating my bowels on company time) to conveniently find out that my posts no longer need pre-approval. So it's all irrelevant now

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Madcosby posted:

can someone summarize the last 20 pages? All I saw was charity and smoking and then some patch notes that I actually scrolled back to the top of because I saw the word "fixed" so much only to discover its for a different game

I'm sorry.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fatkraken posted:

why are the community so forgiving of SC and so very very scathing of No Mans Sky?

NMS was developed as a shallow indy game by a tiny team that was pretty much a glorified tech demo, but then the devs got caught up in a hype loop (fed by the community and by Sony and the PS4 being desperate for a killer app), promised far too much and fell flat. They DID deliver a lot of what was promised (some of the proc gen animals look freaking awesome) pretty much on time, but fell short in critical ways, especially with depth vs bredth and people being led to expect a AAA $60 game rather than a $15 indy tech-demo which is what the drat thing should have been sold as in the first place. The most anyone lost on the game was 60 bucks, and a lot of people were able to get full refunds with no issues

SC is YEARS late, totally broken, actually has AAA funding levels, and the most anyone is out is TENS OF THOUSANDS OF loving DOLLARS, yet only now are the community really turning on the devs in a meaningful way.

Because SC has not been released yet so the *dreamers* can continue to dream.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Comparing retards to Crobbers is insulting as gently caress. To the retards.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/798654944668631040

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Not going to be abrasive but this doesn't make sense.

His reputation? As what? A guy who made a PC game before you were playing PC games? Not only that, but actually playing them today... they look terrible. If you ever actually play any of the Wing Commander games, the best ones used SPRITES (pre-3D technology for you youngins). I somehow doubt you'd play one of those janky messes and think "I want to spend $6k on his next game!"

But maybe I'm wrong?

Unfortunately though you follow that up with a bit of hideous... lack of wisdom. If you buy a car, and on the drive home it dies, because it was recovered from a flood and they didn't tell you that, do you just call a tow truck to bring it home? Do you call the dealership back? What you're implying here is you keep the car.

Chris doesn't know who you are, and only cares about your money that is now his money. If you requested a refund he still won't know who you are or care. The only morals here being betrayed are yours through the Roberts. Shifting goal posts, the editing of the TOS to prevent you from knowing the truth...

I hope you get the game of your dreams. It's people like you though that make me want to smack Chris in the face for doing this, and getting away with it. When you get burned, you're going to be upset, and more jaded. You'll be hard pressed to support someone in the future who really deserves that support. If you get a refund, even a partial refund, I hope you can get it in there before the money is really all gone.

:perfect:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

No, that's having lunch during a meeting, Sandi.
It's quite a different thing (and also very unproductive compared to having proper breaks).

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

"REEFUND REEFUND REEFUND REEFUND..."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fatkraken posted:

I'm staying at a relatives house, and every time I go into the local town, I see this place and it reminds me of you guys and makes me smile

Can you buy belts in there?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Deloria posted:

And that obsession with money..jeez.

You know I'd be very happy to send you my email tbh.

Anyone who knows me knows I don't need to hide.

You asked me why I came to SA.. and I guess it was because yesterday I went to Reddit. And it was abusive tbh... but on the other side: Everybody was sure I was an instigator for CIG's destruction. Like I was a goon in fact.. Someone called me that. Then someone mentioned I was being mentioned here - and sure enough people here were talking about the thread. So I popped in here to say hi, totally convinced I would be kicked after 3 posts again - I was just pure fecking curiosity and maybe all the ego tripping from starting that pledge thread.

I'm quite proud of it because I think it will accomplish something.

Also I read about Beer on the kokatu thing and I'm happy I got to say sorry to him. Somebody should.

I'm going to be honest though - being here in SA is very depressing. Much worse than Reddit. After a while the chorus of demeaning comments is too much. Coming back and seeing everybody harping on about age and money and my dad.. People don't really behave like this - or need to. People are telling me what I should and shouldnt spend money on - but people forget how we should treat each other. I get that being smug is being cool but - nah its not my cup of tea.

Today Michelle Obama got called an ape in heels - I read it a few hours ago and it fecking gutted me. I don't think personal attacks are cool at any level. If you guys do it to me I just won't be here.

So I won't be. I can go watch Magnus Carlsen win at chess or try this windows 10 upgrade I've been putting off.

I came back really just to say: I'm not hiding Derek - and I'm not a fake. Its just I don't like being here because its a bit too abusive. The guys here pile on a bit too much in the end and try to outdo each other in how mean they can be. (oh yeah but the silly bitch deserves it what with her dollars and proud ways! - well no. No-one does really. I don't think its healthy for grownups to actually think this is OK behaviour?).

If you ever want a real chat send me a message.

Sorry, but you're talking to an old school Internet Warlord who was on the Internet before you were conceived. So sending over various anon avatar/profile links, is not proof that you are an 18 yr old girl. Nice try, Charles.

ps: People telling you how dumb you are for spending $6K on a loving video game, aren't "piling on". Plus, what did you expect? Adulation? This is not the RSI forums, man. gently caress, even MoMa doesn't get away with poo poo here. And we actually LIKE that bastard.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 16, 2016

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Did you guys seriously already chase off the financially idiotic 18-year old Norwegian-Brit hybrid SC fan kitten huggy gamer grrrl who admires Sandi in real life?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Nice try, Charles.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

trucutru posted:

Can you buy belts in there?

I've not been in but I think it's mostly pottery and paintings. I will go in tomorrow and tell them I am glad their families are dead though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

D1E posted:

Did you guys seriously already chase off the financially idiotic 18-year old Norwegian-Brit hybrid SC fan kitten huggy gamer grrrl who admires Sandi in real life?

yes :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

D1E posted:

“Already”?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
It's amazing how much this thread has self-owned for half-a-day. :laffo:

Well played the "young lady".

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The Nightsong guild (Min Age 18, last updated 2014). Deloria would only have been 16 during that year. Makes you think. Furthermore..........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cynic posted:

I played the original WC, and WC2, and they were cool for the time, even memorable, but CR's track record speaks for itself (hint: it is full of disappointment and poor choices)

Did you happen to play X-Wing around the same time? Because doctors agree that it causes complete memory loss about anything WC-related*

*among discerning space-game fans.

Fatkraken posted:

I've not been in but I think it's mostly pottery and paintings. I will go in tomorrow and tell them I am glad their families are dead though.

Ask them to make you an iron-clad pot.

• Locked thread