Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Don't mind me just waiting for Star Citizen.

You mean, just ADORABLY waiting for Star Citizen, don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Not going to be abrasive but this doesn't make sense.

His reputation? As what? A guy who made a PC game before you were playing PC games? Not only that, but actually playing them today... they look terrible. If you ever actually play any of the Wing Commander games, the best ones used SPRITES (pre-3D technology for you youngins). I somehow doubt you'd play one of those janky messes and think "I want to spend $6k on his next game!"

Get it right, you silly goonie, he's a guy who made his most famous games before she was born.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Deloria posted:

lol

Are there any norwegians here who can explain what RUSS is?

Most of my freinds save thir confirmation money for russ... which is basically the mother of all parties where they can spend like 30 or 40000 dollars on stuff like party busses.

Norway is a very different place to what a lot of you are thinking.. Spaceships was a seriously mature choice compared to some of the teen alternatives trust me.

Wow, I just googled that. It's crazier than star citizen!

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

EightAce posted:

If he is toast he'll know exactly what I'm on about

Don't you get me erect and not have the common decency to finish me off

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Chalks posted:

Everyone discussing Deloria's account value shouldn't lose sight of the reason we started chatting with her - she's responsible for the single biggest thorn in the side of the RSI forum moderators at the moment. A thread where whales are lining up to justifiably poo poo on the state of the project that they have invested thousands of dollars in and CIG can't censor it without risking a complete uprising.

Their system of moving every critical thread off to the concern forum where it was hidden from non backers has stopped working. This thread is one of the most popular on their boards at the moment and it's breaking down the mental defences of backers left right and centre.

If she keeps her money in the project but keeps asking awkward questions loudly on their forums, she'll probably have done more to accelerate this project towards it's inevitable conclusion than most of us have.

Oh, having an SA account makes you a goon alright. Once bought, forever tainted.

How long until they find out we played her into the CIG forums :smug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

EightAce posted:

If he is toast he'll know exactly what I'm on about

Eightace I have a question, has chris inserted himself into the game (or script) as an NPC?

Yes, no, maybe?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

Arent they taking salaries for multiple roles?
They were, yes. This year not so much.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Eightace I have a question, has chris inserted himself into the game (or script) as an NPC?

Yes, no, maybe?

He has a character, but that's about it. He's Citizen #1.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

If these 700+ new posts since 11 hours ago are all because of Deloria posted I am going to scream when I get back to this post.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Were we talking to the same guy who is now set to leave this week?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

TheAgent posted:

They were, yes. This year not so much.

Not one modicum of proof.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Raskolnikov posted:

If these 700+ new posts since 11 hours ago are all because of Deloria posted I am going to scream when I get back to this post.

Start screaming.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

He has a character, but that's about it. He's Citizen #1.

Soon to be public enemy # 1

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I can get behind this theory. With one caveat. I was sent information that leads me to believe that there isn't an "18 yr old gurl" behind this account. More soon. Two Weeks.

I think I have an idea....

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

You're just jealous of all the attention she's getting :mrapig:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
This is a superb thread, enjoy!

http://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5d4i2l/can_star_citizen_continue_its_funding_momentum/

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Raskolnikov posted:

Probably don't read them imo

it's just all of us melting down at an actual child.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

chris "the backers will never know" roberts wouldn't give himself frivolous amounts of money

I know this because

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Raskolnikov posted:

Save you the trouble. Just ignore the posts and buy a discount Kayak.

new cash only

VV. It's just arguing with another defender, it's nothing new.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
can someone summarize the last 20 pages? All I saw was charity and smoking and then some patch notes that I actually scrolled back to the top of because I saw the word "fixed" so much only to discover its for a different game

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
moma whats the cutoff

what do you expect chris should make? he's the CEO of a international corporation with hundreds of employees

are you saying he doesn't make the average salary of a CEO in his position? that he's paying himself less for some reason?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Raskolnikov posted:

*in an extremely cool and somber Gary Oldman voice* I've got some bad news

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Roberts deserves every dollar he can get

The man's a genius: sell nothing at $700 a jpg? Incredible

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Without exagerration, Star Citizen has shown me how stupid people are and I only wish my own scruples didnt get in the way of making money off of crowd funded dreams

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
btw sandi, as an actor, had to be paid at least the minimum amount for a major speaking role, otherwise she would not be allowed to appear in the project

union rules

and do you believe, as 5th billing, she'd be getting paid day speaking minimums

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Madcosby posted:

Chris Roberts deserves every dollar he can get

The man's a genius: sell nothing at $700 a jpg? Incredible
I'm actually mad jelly about this

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

TheAgent posted:

moma whats the cutoff

what do you expect chris should make? he's the CEO of a international corporation with hundreds of employees

are you saying he doesn't make the average salary of a CEO in his position? that he's paying himself less for some reason?

I'm the wife of chris roberts on a giant yacht in an exotic country; man who takes a massive salary cut to ensure his video game achieves success

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Deloria posted:

So Im gonna say thanks for today - it was very interesting. Almost like an ama :)

In the end it got really old with all the fiscal responsibility stuff tbh though - I mean seriously. Lectures on better ways to invest money? Donate to charity?

lol goons!

On the other hand thanks for really insightful posts about your experiences with Star Citizen. I actually did learn a great deal about where some backers are coming from.

I still believe in it though. You all are welcome to join me in my spaceships when this thing takes off.

*hugs and bye*

Just to be clear I don't actually care about your fiscal responsibility I'm just commenting on the utterly pretentious way that you're trying to justify it with all that hopes and dreams bullshit.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Don't mind me just waiting for Star Citizen.

thats adorable

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Zzr posted:

This tread move too fast and ok I post from the past. But when I write it is just a figure of style. I'm not able to travel in time, so don't pm to go kill Gandhi, Malcolm X or De Gaulle for the atrocities they did. I'm just a normal human being, it's just that i write about things you already read but not me. Please I'm not a god or whatever, don't fund me.

OK, cool

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

nawledgelambo posted:

Don't you get me erect and not have the common decency to finish me off

Sq42 prelude in march

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

nawledgelambo posted:

I'm the wife of chris roberts on a giant yacht in an exotic country; man who takes a massive salary cut to ensure his video game achieves success
chris and sandi make like $100k/yr combined

stop with this ridiculous FUD campaign

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

EightAce posted:

Fucks sake . SM will be in 2.6 and out before Christmas like Delorian is an 18 year old girl and not a 30 year old neckbeard laughing into his vape box mod.

I personally found "her" to be recklessly optimistic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

You mean, just ADORABLY waiting for Star Citizen, don't you?

For Halloween she was Cindy Lou Who.

My wife was Max.

I was the Grinch.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

lol yea because they won't release any financial info. Seriously, don't devolve to standard shitizen circular reasoning MOMA, keep at least one foot out of the cesspool.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dadchat best chat. gently caress the haters.

Star Citizen is helping me fund an assault weapon. When she's old enough she'll get her own.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Marching powder, prove to me (us) that Chris hasn't spent money on stupid poo poo,because you've seen the pictures haven't you? The pictures of Chris on a yacht, and the pictures of Chris waiting for expensive flights to expensive countries, and the pics of Sandi at marinas in expensive locations.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My ~~*DrEaMs*~~ story

When I was 12 years old, me and my best friend somehow amassed $60 between us. Here's what we narrowed it down to, both ads found in some terrible newspaper print comic book:
1) A cologne that claims will make you so irresistible to women they will fight to gently caress you. Price: $60
2) A 5-cassette tape series on how to use mind over matter to move objects with your mind! Price $60

Our logic was that when women were so impressed with our telekenetic abilities, they would gently caress us anyways. Also the cologne warned that it was so powerful it would make two men wearing it fight over the women they could have. We figured the cologne might jeapordize our friendship. We settled on the cassette tapes.

The cassettes came, and they were lectures about controlling your inner ki done by a narrarator with a terrible mic and a redneck accent. We tried it for a week. It did not work

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Deloria posted:

Look at the thread I started on the CIG forums. I'm not afraid of the truth. I want the truth.

but I can't imagine what it would be like being persistently and personally targeted at every level by a large group of people simply becuase of my day job. I feel really sorry for a lot of the CIG people. Its sad to come here and find people stacking in hateful mockery between all the reasonably intelligent scepticism and discussion... like a stack of pancakes where every third one is a turd. I get that its part of the SA thing: Mock what you dont respect... but its kind of horrible to watch tbh.

<-- thats me trying to be honest. plz don't dox me.

I would say about 97% of CGI's employees are not really made fun of here. The only people mentioned on any kind of regular basis are the few individuals who
    1. are at the top of the company and should know most/all of the situation
    2. bear the responsibility for wasting millions of dollars of other people's money with virtually nothing to show for it
    3. refuse to come clean with the backers about the state of the project

They are not even trying to fix the basic problems (read: their management)!
Instead, they alternate between
    1. hyping up more sales of ships that don't even exist yet
    2. making videos with lots of empty talk but very little info
    3. keeping silent when people complain because they did not deliver on their promises

What they are doing is clearly scummy and immoral and could very well be illegal (I'm not a lawyer).
They have completely broken with what they promised in terms of respecting their backers and are trying to weasel their way out of being held accountable for it.
You are obviously allowed to use your money more or less how you wish, but please don't waste it on something as terrible as the moment-to-moment chaos of Chris Roberts.
As long as he is in charge of this project with no one to rein , there will be no finished game. There isn't even a finished design for it, because Chris can't just sit down, plan something and then execute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

There's no proof of Chris making a shitload of money! He obviously borrowed that Porche, is squatting in his big rear end house, and won all of those vacations and first-class plane tickets from radio contests.

e: IRON
loving
CLAD

• Locked thread