Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Rondette posted:

Should touch down in a couple hours....I've ended up with an epidural which is AMAZING and feeling pretty chilled right now. Labour pains are brutal, I was at it for about 7 hours before I hosed that poo poo.

Will he be before or after midnight? ?

Definitely before midnight...in my time zone ;) Go Rondette go!!

the_chavi posted:

I am at 32 weeks and change, and the pain in my hips is miserable. It's like I can feel the ball part at the top of my femurs connecting to my hips, and those joints have been beaten with hammers. I have to say, I didn't expect my hips to be the most painful part of this pregnancy so far! Any suggestions on mitigation techniques?

So many suggestions! First I would get a belly band or pelvic support to see if you can externally stabilize the hips. Part of what's causing the pain is probably loose ligaments from pregnancy hormones giving your joints extra mobility, and helping restrict that movement will probably help. Paying careful attention to positioning helps with that, as well - you want to keep your pelvis quite stable, so focus on keeping your hips aligned with your knees and your feet. No crossing your legs, try to move both legs together when you roll over in bed, sleep with a pillow between your knees to maintain that spacing. If you have insurance for massage, that's probably not a bad idea, and if that doesn't cut it, a referral for physiotherapy might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Rondette I want that baby on my desk by 9am tomorrow!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
1am almost to the dot uk time, forceps delivery. 8lb 14oz. Perfectly formed and very wriggly and strong! I am a total epidural convert holy poo poo I don't think I could have done it otherwise.

Thanks to you all for providing me with morale support and laughs. It really did help.

We still have to decide on a name though!!!

Eta - and I didn't poop myself rah rah!

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
Congratulations Rondette! You're a trooper and Babydette sounds just perfect. You aren't going to stick with Norman Goat?

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Rondette posted:

1am almost to the dot uk time, forceps delivery. 8lb 14oz. Perfectly formed and very wriggly and strong! I am a total epidural convert holy poo poo I don't think I could have done it otherwise.

Thanks to you all for providing me with morale support and laughs. It really did help.

We still have to decide on a name though!!!

Eta - and I didn't poop myself rah rah!

Yea! Happy baby day!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Congrats Rondette! You did it!!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hurray congratulations!!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
YEAHHHH YOU DID IT! Congrats Rondette and family! Wiew wiew wiewewewewiewwwwwwwwwwwwww #teamRondette

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Yay Rondette!! Congrats on baby!

I'm wondering if anyone has or had a postpartum girdle and their opinions. Zip up vs velcro, how it was for their backs and recovery comfort mainly, and any recs on brand/model.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Just finished reading >100 pages of this thread, and just in time! Congratulations, Rondette!

Re: postpartum girdle - I used a velcro one after my first baby and found it very helpful. When I didn't have it on, I kept having this uncomfortable and disturbing feeling like my guts were falling out through my belly, but when I wore the girdle it felt like my internal organs were properly supported. After... uh, a few weeks? a few months? that time was kind of a blur... I stopped wearing it and everything felt back to normal again.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I am seriously struggling to get through the night at work lately. I need snack ideas - obviously low sugar and high protein. Popcorn and diet coke probably not the eat idea (normally I have yogurt and fruit. But I forgot everything tonight. And fruit has gotta be cut down). Yes I know I'm not for sure GDM but I'm gonna eat like I am kinda sorta.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Miranda posted:

I am seriously struggling to get through the night at work lately. I need snack ideas - obviously low sugar and high protein. Popcorn and diet coke probably not the eat idea (normally I have yogurt and fruit. But I forgot everything tonight. And fruit has gotta be cut down). Yes I know I'm not for sure GDM but I'm gonna eat like I am kinda sorta.

I think that's a smart call and it's what I advise all my clients with positive OGCTs to do even if their 75g OGTTs are negative. I've been eating super high protein because it helps my nausea so I have lots of snack ideas for you!

- Cheese and low GI fruit like apples or pears
- Veggies with hummus
- Homemade trail mix: your favourite nuts and seeds all mixed together, plus I like to put in yoghurt-covered raisins
- Protein shake or high-protein smoothie (I blend at home and put in a mason jar for portability)
- If you like yoghurt, switch it up for plain high-protein like Greek yoghurt or Skyr, and sweeten it yourself with honey or jam
- My favourite work snack is snack size burritos. Get the little tortillas (you can get the low carb version if you're worried about carb counts) and fill with beans, cheese, veggies and guacamole. I usually make two or three to last the day.
- Toasted chickpeas: roast canned chickpeas in the oven until crispy with a little oil and whatever seasoning you want. Delicious for snacking.
- Egg salad salad: lettuce, veggies, and one egg's worth of egg salad on top. I put curry powder in the egg salad, too.

As a bonus, most of this is pretty high-fibre too so it's good for pooping, which of course is pretty much all I think about all day every day. Also most of it will keep in its container for awhile so you can meal prep before you start your line and just grab pre-portioned snacks on your way out the door every night.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
We can talk about postpartum weirdness in here right?

We are five days out from birth now and I'm relatively pain free, but I am feeling a ton of pressure down below and walking like a cowboy. The worst of it is that is feels like everything is falling out if I sneeze or cough.

Of course I googled it and am now paranoid I have some type of prolapse....but this is much more likely to just be pelvic floor weakness right? I've started up some kegals and I can tell it's a lot weaker so hoping this helps? I'm also trying to lie down more as I realized most of the sleeping I've been doing is sitting up/ slightly reclined since Miss Hattie does not like to sleep for very long in her bassinet and prefers to be held always....

Anybody got experience with this?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

SquirrelFace posted:

I felt EXACTLY the same way, and for a really long time. It was horrible, and I was convinced I was broken beyond repair. Apparently I wasn't, according to several gynecologists I visited. Now my daughter is 3.5 years and I can't jump on trampolines without feeling like my insides are going to fall out (so I don't, obviously), but otherwise I'm fine. Everything has shifted about a bit, but it's more like someone rearranged the furniture rather than rockstars smashing the chairs and hurling the telly out the window, which it felt like at first.

Some people bounce right back after birth, others take a while, and yeah, some get prolapses. If you're concerned, get thee to a doctor for your own peace of mind, and no matter what, do kegels kegels kegels.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Nobody's pelvic floor is working right five days postpartum. I usually tell people that if they're still feeling like things aren't normal in that area three weeks out from birth, or if they're having incontinence (urine, flatulence, or feces) that's getting worse or not getting better after three weeks, to let me know. Pelvic floor physiotherapy is really effective but most physios won't see people except in really dire cases before 6-8 weeks postpartum, because that's how long it can take for things to naturally get back where they need to be. I wouldn't do Kegels at this point, especially not if you had a tear. I would rest and let your body do what it has to do, and then talk to your care provider if it's not better in two weeks.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
I survived month 1 of babby, and put almost 2 pounds on him!

...I know that number because my husband brought home a cold and we all have it. Pediatrician wasn't worried about the little guy when we took him in today, but I forgot to ask one of my questions.

If I feel up to it in the next couple days, can I pump milk, or is doing that while sick a Bad Idea? I've just been doing one session a day between feedings to start building a freezer stash, if that matters.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Pumping while sick is fine, just make sure your fluid intake is increased even more because of the cold + extra pumping.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Dogfish posted:

Nobody's pelvic floor is working right five days postpartum. I usually tell people that if they're still feeling like things aren't normal in that area three weeks out from birth, or if they're having incontinence (urine, flatulence, or feces) that's getting worse or not getting better after three weeks, to let me know. Pelvic floor physiotherapy is really effective but most physios won't see people except in really dire cases before 6-8 weeks postpartum, because that's how long it can take for things to naturally get back where they need to be. I wouldn't do Kegels at this point, especially not if you had a tear. I would rest and let your body do what it has to do, and then talk to your care provider if it's not better in two weeks.

Thanks for this. I think this is what I really needed to hear. I know realistically it's just going to take time, but I just want to get up and get back to being myself so bad that I think I may be doing more harm than good.

Oh well....guess I'll just have to spend more time on the couch making the husband bring me things while I snuggle/feed the baby....there are worse things I suppose....

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

SquirrelFace posted:

Thanks for this. I think this is what I really needed to hear. I know realistically it's just going to take time, but I just want to get up and get back to being myself so bad that I think I may be doing more harm than good.

Oh well....guess I'll just have to spend more time on the couch making the husband bring me things while I snuggle/feed the baby....there are worse things I suppose....

You are still yourself! You're just the version of yourself that recently created an entire human being from scratch and spends most of every day sustaining that human being from your own body. You have accomplished and are accomplishing an enormous physical task and it only makes sense that a) you're feeling the effects of that and b) your body has different needs right now than it would if that weren't the case. Hang in there!

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

SquirrelFace posted:

We can talk about postpartum weirdness in here right?

We are five days out from birth now and I'm relatively pain free, but I am feeling a ton of pressure down below and walking like a cowboy. The worst of it is that is feels like everything is falling out if I sneeze or cough.

Of course I googled it and am now paranoid I have some type of prolapse....but this is much more likely to just be pelvic floor weakness right? I've started up some kegals and I can tell it's a lot weaker so hoping this helps? I'm also trying to lie down more as I realized most of the sleeping I've been doing is sitting up/ slightly reclined since Miss Hattie does not like to sleep for very long in her bassinet and prefers to be held always....

I was almost positive I had some sort of prolapse after my second because I had similar issues. I specifically asked about it at my 6 week checkup and my midwife says for most people that feeling goes away completely by 3 months. It did clear up for me before then. A post partum girdle helped (I have a Bellefit pull up style one) as well as resting with my feet up as much as physically possible. I do kegels sometimes but I usually forget because I am basically just chasing children around all day. I think you will find in a couple months you'll feel a lot better.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

So after hearing of my 1:148 chance of Down's syndrome, I got the harmony test done. I got the results this morning.
I've gone down to 1:10000 chance for everything.
Officially gone down to low risk. I'm happy!

Oh, and I'm having a boy!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TRISHY posted:

So after hearing of my 1:148 chance of Down's syndrome, I got the harmony test done. I got the results this morning.

There's a penis growing inside you right now.

Sorry, that's what my wife said when we found out the same. :v:

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Dogfish posted:

You are still yourself! You're just the version of yourself that recently created an entire human being from scratch and spends most of every day sustaining that human being from your own body. You have accomplished and are accomplishing an enormous physical task and it only makes sense that a) you're feeling the effects of that and b) your body has different needs right now than it would if that weren't the case. Hang in there!

This! And if it takes longer that's OK too.

I'm 7 months pp myself with prolapse symptoms being managed with a pessary and even then my PT said to give it until 18 months before getting too worked up. Breastfeeding doesn't help things either since it throws your estrogen out of whack. I've had three periods since baby's been born and they've all been physically very different and with completely different intervals. I'm coming to terms with having a vastly different body to my pre pregnancy self, there are days when it's :smith: but mostly it's :unsmith: Having a super cute baby to love and nurture helps.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

silvergoose posted:

There's a penis growing inside you right now.

Sorry, that's what my wife said when we found out the same. :v:

Haha that what I said to my partner!

I'm glad I know. Can organise what sports I'm going to sign him up to by what will make him the most money now.. We have gone with golf, cricket, rugby league and union, tennis and mma....

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Is there really any difference between a 130 dollar breast pump and a 35 dollar one?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Single-Electric-Breast-Pump/21104989

https://www.amazon.com/Medela-67050...1_1_s_it&sr=1-1

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Are you in the usa, lol internet? Do you have insurance that'll cover the medela? That's how I got mine, I got the medela pump in style advanced. If you are planning on doing a lot of pumping, a single electric might be pretty cumbersome.

From what I understand, the difference tends to be in pumping power. Have a look through the reviews, and other sites that compare pumps, to see if the extra cost might be worth it.

TRISHY posted:

This is the BEST news. I'm so happy for you! Welcome to the having a boy club, also :)

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
The short answer is yes, and the long answer is yes, but...

Here's the short answer: yes, the more expensive brands work better in the sense that generally speaking, they'll get out more milk quicker. The higher-quality pumps are more expensive, generally speaking. Double electric pumps are the most efficient, single manual pumps the least, and the ranking seems to work pretty much exactly as you'd expect. Generally the more you pay, the less time each pumping session will take, too, because the pump is more efficient, so as with so many things, part of the calculus is time vs. money.

The long answer is really the answer to the question, "Does it matter enough to spend the extra cash?" and that's going to depend on your situation. If you're buying a pump as part of the plan to increase your low milk supply, because you had problems breastfeeding in a previous pregnancy, or you're planning on exclusively pumping, a double electric pump is absolutely worth it if you can afford it. If you're planning on pumping very occasionally so Grandma has something to feed baby when you finally go out on a date just the adults, it's probably not worth it. It all depends on how big a role the pump is going to play in your baby feeding plan and how much time you're willing to invest in pumping.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Sharks Below posted:

Are you in the usa, lol internet? Do you have insurance that'll cover the medela? That's how I got mine, I got the medela pump in style advanced. If you are planning on doing a lot of pumping, a single electric might be pretty cumbersome.

This. Depending on your insurance/network, you might have a lot of support built in. Mine was super on the breastfeeding train, and covered a Medela pump and two lactation consultant visits (one in the hospital, one in the first week.)

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

This. Depending on your insurance/network, you might have a lot of support built in. Mine was super on the breastfeeding train, and covered a Medela pump and two lactation consultant visits (one in the hospital, one in the first week.)

Sharks Below posted:

From what I understand, the difference tends to be in pumping power. Have a look through the reviews, and other sites that compare pumps, to see if the extra cost might be worth it.

This is the BEST news. I'm so happy for you! Welcome to the having a boy club, also :)

Thanks, I will check out my wifes medical benefits. Didn't realize that.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

lol internet. posted:

Thanks, I will check out my wifes medical benefits. Didn't realize that.

Yeah US insurance mandates a free double electric pump now. You also can use your FSA money for accessories or a second one. Also also, hospital grade pump rentals are not super expensive and can be rented using FSA money and are super helpful for the first few months.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
*pumping as I type*

I have a phillips avent electric pump which seems to be one of the best rated in the uk. It does sound like a sad phone on vibrate though.

My boobs in the last 12 hours or so has swollen to ridiculous proportions. I was not expecting this for some dumb reason. Still, little baby has taken to breatfeeding rather well after a teary and shaky start.

We've also decided to name him Kit...shortened from Christopher.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Shout out to the spectra s1 or 2. I got a medela pisa with my insurance and still ended up buying a spectra out of pocket. It is hospital grade, closed system, and emulates a baby sucking. It does not hurt and I let down way easier with it. It also has a ton of settings for you to play around with to get max milk.

It's also a dual electric fire 150$

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Yeah looks like we're covered for a breast pump. Any recommendations on the brand they cover us with?

Medela Inc, Pumping Essentials or Yummy Mummy

I did a search in the benefits booklet and it wasn't actually in there surprisingly. I logged into the Premera site and received a reply from a message I sent back in July when I asked about what is covered under our plan for the pregnancy.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Medela

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
Ugh have my 3hr GTT tomorrow. And my husband is being a dick. He clearly thinks this is something I caused despite explaining insulin resistance etc. He blames coke (which yes was not the best idea but I didn't have one every drat day! And not more than 1 in a day). He said "we should've done a better job" (with my diet). Is he right? Everything I've read says this is fairly inevitable (I guess if you're overweight or have a lovely diet to begin with but my diet isn't that terrible!). Im annoyed at him even though I think I'm right. Or maybe I'm not. I don't know.
Also Please ask this fetus to stop tickling my cervix it is very disconcerting.

Miranda fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 17, 2016

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Miranda posted:

Ugh have my 3hr GTT tomorrow. And my husband is being a dick. He clearly thinks this is something I caused despite explaining he contest. He blames coke (which yes was not the best idea but I didn't have one every drat day! And not more than 1 in a day). He said "we should've done a better job" (with my diet). Is he right? Everything I've read says this is fairly inevitable (I guess if you're overweight or have a lovely diet to begin with but my diet isn't that terrible!). Im annoyed at him even though I think I'm right. Or maybe I'm not. I don't know.

Man, gently caress that. My wife had twins, ate tons of fried food, and failed her one hour test. Passed the 3 with flying colors. The one hour test is commonly flunked by people who don't have GD. Coke isn't going to ruin your pregnancy. You need to do what you need to survive. Tell your husband he needs to get on board and support you instead of trying to shame you for having a coke.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It's nothing to do with diet. It's how pregnancy hormones gently caress with your pancreas, regardless of what you eat.

Your husband is being a dick.

Edit: I failed the one hour and had "the best numbers I've ever seen for a three hour test" according to my obgyn. The one hour is not diagnostic, it is a wide broad screening test so they catch everyone that has GD. The broadness of it results in it flagging a lot of people that don't have GD for the three hour as well.

sheri fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 17, 2016

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Miranda posted:

Ugh have my 3hr GTT tomorrow. And my husband is being a dick. He clearly thinks this is something I caused despite explaining insulin resistance etc. He blames coke (which yes was not the best idea but I didn't have one every drat day! And not more than 1 in a day). He said "we should've done a better job" (with my diet). Is he right? Everything I've read says this is fairly inevitable (I guess if you're overweight or have a lovely diet to begin with but my diet isn't that terrible!). Im annoyed at him even though I think I'm right. Or maybe I'm not. I don't know.

Offer to inject him with human placental lactogen for a few months and see how he does on the other end.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah. I have a Mormon friend that abstains from most things that you'd assume are triggers for GD and she has had it with all 5 of her pregnancies. Tell your husband to calm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
You are doing a great job growing your baby. As it turns out, you're not a robot, which is why you occasionally make decisions based not on the logical calculation of what will be Objectively the Best Thing to Do but on what you want in that moment, and sometimes what you want is a delicious fountain Coke. That's a thing all humans are prone to (and it's a good thing too because not being a robot is also what will allow you to love and care for your baby) and if our bodies all disintegrated every time we made a less-than-perfect dietary choice there would be no humans left on this forsaken planet of Earth. Cut yourself some slack. Then cut yourself some more. Then tell your husband he needs to find another management strategy for his anxiety that doesn't include dumping it on to you.

The short answer is that we don't actually know what causes gestational diabetes. It's comorbid with a bunch of things like gestational hypertension that suggest it may be in part triggered by something that happens during placentation. People who have gestational diabetes are also at significantly higher risk for T2DM later in life, though, so there's some thought that a genetic predisposition to insulin resistance/elevated baseline blood sugars may also play a part. But given that the guys who study this for a living don't have a good handle on what causes it, I think it's safe to say that your husband hasn't singlehandedly discovered that the cause of GDM is you having the evil white sugar occasionally.

There are tons of things that can cause an elevated OGCT. A breakfast that's too sugary, accidentally not eating enough before the test, a high-stress week or even just a high-stress morning, and the list goes on. It's fair to note that one of the things that can cause an elevated OGCT is in fact a metabolism that's not doing a great job of regulating blood glucose, and that there seems to be an intermediate condition between normal metabolism and GDM that's associated with an elevated 50g test and a normal 75g test. People who are in that intermediary condition do have a higher risk of some of the things associated with GDM even though they don't have it, like macrosomic babies (which is why I advise everyone who has a positive OGCT to eat for blood sugar control regardless of the OGTT results). But lots of people have an elevated OGCT for reasons that have nothing to do with their glucose metabolism in general, and they're not at higher risk for anything.

The bottom line is that pregnancy is a hyperglycaemic state for everyone because babies love sugar and so they make chemical signals in their placentas to keep your blood sugar higher. Some babies are really good at doing that, and we don't know if that's a quality inherent to them (they make more of those chemical signals or have placentas that let more of the signals through) or inherent to you (you have a predisposition to high blood sugar that means the usual amount of chemicals is more effective on you) or, more likely, some combination of both.

I've had patients who had literally every risk factor for diabetes who had perfect sugars and gave birth efficiently to trim little six-pounders. I've had patients who were the picture of health with no risk factors who ended up on insulin. It's a complex metabolic process and we don't have a good handle on it, so blaming any one thing is not a good move and your husband needs to find a different approach to his worries.

I wish we knew exactly how the human body works, but it's really complicated and full of nonsense and so mostly we just make our best guess and go from there. We can't prevent everything, and we all have to go about our lives and do the best we can to live in a way that makes sense to us even when we're pregnant. I don't think assigning blame is useful most of the time, and it's doubly useless in a situation like this where we don't even know what the cause is in general, let alone where we could place fault if we wanted to.

ALSO, this is my pet peeve, but laboratory testing isn't something we "pass" or "fail." The results are not given out on the basis of merit. They're a window into what's happening in our bodies at the particular moment that the test is done, and they give us a clue to how our bodies are currently working, and THAT IS IT. It isn't a value judgment. It's not a barometer of moral worth. It's just how much sugar is in your blood and all it informs is what decisions we might make to try to help you and your baby be healthy.