Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I had an ex who had the entire run of Flying Circus on DVD

Early red flag in retrospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Not knowing how to pirate movies and tv shows is a red flag, to me. Buying dvds is for the wealthy!!!

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

unpopular opinion: zelda is boring

Monty python is good sometimes....but not worth the hype. Meaning of life is a lot funnier than holy grail. There are individual sketches I like but I can't really just sit down and watch it.

loquacius posted:

I had an ex who had the entire run of Flying Circus on DVD

Early red flag in retrospect

Correct opinions. My mom and I used to watch Absolutely Fabulous when it was on Comedy Central and sometimes they'd play Monty Python during commercial breaks and they played that one where a garden party is all being violently maimed by accident and I was just like "Mom, what's wrong with British people?" "I don't know, they don't brush their teeth either."

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

bone app the teeth posted:

this thread does a great job at reminding me how insufferable nerds are

youve been rereading your posts eh

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
There's Zelda lore? I'm a giant turbo nerd into all sorts of video game universes and tabletop RPG settings and fiction collab poo poo like SCP, and Legend of Zelda never for one moment struck me as worthy of a second thought. Maybe it's because I grew up on the Nes/Gameboy/Snes ones?

E: Life of Brian is actually the superior Python film.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
There's apparently a really convoluted timeline all of the games fit into, with an alternate dimension 3 way split based on what happens in Ocarina of Time.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

E: Life of Brian is actually the superior Python film.

ACtually it's Meaning of Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

There's apparently a really convoluted timeline all of the games fit into, with an alternate dimension 3 way split based on what happens in Ocarina of Time.

They basically made a poo poo-ton of games that are "spiritual successors" to each other and don't really have any more continuity between them than Final Fantasy games do (the original game basically takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, other ones have cities and towns, some of which appear in other games and some of which don't, in one game the entire loving planet flooded) and people resorted to making the convoluted multiple-dimension timeline as an effort at making them into a coherent narrative. Eventually Nintendo endorsed one.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Dirtbag Diva posted:

Re: MtG card worth chat. I dunno how many people are geriatric like me and enjoy Antiques Roadshow when not reading SA on their Consumer Cellular Jitterbug phone but they tend to break down "actual" worth versus "what you should insure it for" which is typically much higher because the insurance company will fight you tooth and nail for every cent so going into the negotiation if it's god forbid lost or stolen, if you lose any ground you'll still have the value of what you could have sold it for.

I also mistakenly gave away to my ex an apparently rare RPG my dad gave me as a present back when he worked for a company that got absorbed into Square Enix. I told my husband about it when we first met and when he looked it up, an opened copy was selling for like $10K. I forget the name of it, something from Square back during the early Final Fantasy days. I still kick myself for giving my ex that game since he undoubtedly probably sold it for heroin money. Sigh.

I dunno, it kind of reminds me of that bit in Family Guy (I know) where Meg is being forced to watch the b-roll of Monty Python's Flying Circus "I'm a girl! I don't even like GOOD Monty Python skits!" Source: me as a girl who never "got" the Zelda games but knows all the lore due to having obsessively nerdy male friends. But then again that Zelda wedding is a point against my argument.

i dont think being an insufferable monty python nerd nerd is gender specific, although it is a rare breed now in 2016

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

it did win the Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival in '83, so this position (while risible) is the most defensible

E:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Monty Python is fine nerds

china bot fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 15, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also that garden party sketch is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfmM59S_5EE

Me [20 M] with my first love [19 F] 7 years, and I am confused.

quote:

Hello Reddit relatioships, I hope I will find a convincing answer here other than the move on she is not the right one ...

It may appear very childish to say this, but we met only once in real life, our relationship was mainly on social-media. It started after a girl that had a crush on me 8 years ago, moved to another city and she started a group chat with her "new" friends in which we find whom I will be talking about in this post.

We had a little fight on chat (13 years old stuff, no offense for anyone). and she attracted me, I was very easy to impress at that time. She only used her beauty and her wildness to do that (no girl can do that now). I may say that she just slipped in a period of my life I was dumb in.

We started talking a lot and at a certain moment I ended up feeling strangely enough to think it was love. I couldn't of course hold it and I ended up one day confessing to her. She was beautiful, wild and a teenager who by that time already had an ex, so what do you expect? I got a hard lesson and I suffered for a year in between creating new hotmails and facebook accounts to just talk to her.

One day she just disappeared from the internet, I asked her friends, they told me she that had some problems with her dad and he just banned her from using internet. it went on for 4 years (I had two serious relationships in these 4 years) until she added me on facebook again. I was very surprised since I meant nothing for her at that time, why would she remember me? Well as a typical human being this gave me hope but not very soon as I was in a relationship at that time.

I broke up, and it was the most painful thing in my life, she was there for me to be honest, and I got out of that experience alive (it was a summer). And in that same summer, we met for not longer than 30 minutes as her problems with her dad persisted. She started giving me hope and talking to me about how we would be in a long-term relationship ... I started to have feelings again and she again started ignoring me on social-media, I decided to not talk to her again, it went for 9 months.

By the end of June of this year, now that she spent a year in college (she is in her second year now I am in my fourth) I talked to her again and we had a great summer texting ..., then feelings started again. But this time, she started playing games with me. She tells me "you are my friend, best-friend" and still talked to me as a boyfriend (bb, bae, honey ...), but if you get to be rich I will marry you, she told me afterwards that she is only kidding. Not only that, she told me that I am not handsome enough for her, nor tall enough. And one day out of nowhere she called me on Skype.

She was pretending to be crying, she told me that she is in a serious relationship with a guy (the thing that I ignored), and there is a guy who is in love with her and she doesn't want to lose him but doesn't want to be with him at the same time! I ended the call after some sarcastic talk from her. At the end I realized I wasn't even on her list other than being a friend. I am very good with girls, but I didn't get a proper chance with her because of the distance, in fact I had the opportunity to go to the same city she is in now for engineering studies, but I chose another city (I didn't know at that time she will be there after two years). I guess everything is against me in this.

TL:DR: She ignored me, came back after 4 years, friendzoned me this time. We live in two different cities.

That and the comments is basically him asking people to tell him that he's right to pursue the person he's infatuated with despite only a brief encounter being told she's not interested.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I always wish I could see what part of the world people are posting from

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah seriously, they're 2/3 of the way to A/S/L already.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Oh my god, I can totally see that guy's entire immediate future in my head and it's a perfect cliché. Move to a new city where you don't know anybody other than a girl you are pining for. Offer to be a confidant where she can bitch about her boyfriend while he hopes she changes her mind about him. Eventually grow more resentful and broken as a human.

This is all assuming that just moving there doesn't immediately creep her out.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Never move for a relationship, unless it's one you've been in for years and plan on keeping. Love chemistry makes us dumb as hell, though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5d5tg4/my_29f_mom_58f_is_badmouthing_me_to_the_rest_of/

My [29F] mom [58F] is badmouthing me to the rest of the family because we're choosing not to have kids. She's now escalated to contacting my employer.Non-Romantic

quote:

So, yesterday, things escalated again. My principal called me into his office and asked me if everything was all right. I must have given him a weird look because he said that they'd received a phone call from a woman who wouldn't identify herself except to say she was a concerned parent who wanted to let my employers know that there were people teaching in this district who hated children and shouldn't be allowed near them. He was quick to reassure me that since it was someone who couldn't confirm that they even had a child in the district, and that since they'd complained about both myself and my boyfriend, he didn't think there was much to it but he wanted to make sure I was aware of the situation.
Reddit, I feel so dumb but I started crying. Fortunately I've been with this school since I started my teaching career, and my principal is an awesome guy who was more than willing to hear me out about the whole thing. (And he says my mom sounds like a loon and that I maybe should consider legal action, but I'm not sure.)
So that's where we are. Ryan is at the point where he doesn't even want to invite her to our wedding, when we have it, and I'm really leaning towards it. I think my principal's suggestion of legal action is a touch overboard only because she lives in another state and it would take some real effort from her to do more than make a phone call, but I don't know. She's already done a lot of damage, and I don't really know how to do any damage control - I've explained what I can to the people who called, but I really don't want to make a Facebook post about this, or group text it out, or anything like that. I feel like my mom just threw a grenade into the midst of my whole family and the relationships I have with all of them, and I don't know how to come back from this.

tl;dr Told my mom that my partner and I don't plan to have kids. She told all the women in my family, who called me to chew me out over it. She also called my school district (we're both teachers) "anonymously" to tell them I hate kids. What to do to repair the relationships all around?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5d5pzp/my_29m_girlfriend_26f_is_ghetto_as_hell_its/

My (29/m) girlfriend (26/f) is ghetto as hell. It's causing problems in her professional life and today she shoved her hand in my face while I was driving.Relationships

quote:

I've been with my girlfriend for about a year and a half. I'm probably the whitest white guy that ever lived and she admits that she's a recovering "hoodrat". We were raised very different and for the most part I appreciate that about her.
Unless it comes to conflict. And she goes full ghetto when we fight. Interrupts me when I talk. Raises her voice to shout over me. Talks with her hands. Name calls. Claps. Every bad stereotype you've seen, she brings to life. She says she does this because she's a strong woman and she'll be damned if anyone "wins" an argument.
We both work in a professional environment that's admittedly full of snooty yuppies that have fancy degrees. She recently got into a disagreement with one of the guys she works with...and let her full ghetto unleash. Evidently there was finger waving to the face, a very loud "shut up bitch", and she just full on embarrassed the guy. It wasn't professional and she was warned about being unprofessional and name calling.
We were talking about it in the car, and when I told her that what he did was lovely, her losing her cool and screaming and cursing wasn't professional, she got attitude with me. Accused me of taking the other guys side. Saying that she doesn't start drama but will finish it. She's taking no one's poo poo and is no one's doormat. I told her there was a way to do that while staying professional, and she called me weak...and this caused the argument to escalate into a shouting match in which she shoved her hand in my face.
I love her. I would never hit her. But I don't think I ever wanted to slap someone more than at that moment.
This behavior needs to stop. It's not good for our relationship or our career. How do I tell her she needs to change without hurting her blue collar/straight outta the hood roots?

Tl;dr: girlfriend admits that she goes ghetto when she gets into fights. She's proud of where she's from but it's negatively impacting our relationship and her career.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

A Moose posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5d5tg4/my_29f_mom_58f_is_badmouthing_me_to_the_rest_of/

My [29F] mom [58F] is badmouthing me to the rest of the family because we're choosing not to have kids. She's now escalated to contacting my employer.Non-Romantic

she just wanted to be a helicopter grandparent

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Keeping it real goes wrong?

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.

A Moose posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5d5pzp/my_29m_girlfriend_26f_is_ghetto_as_hell_its/

My (29/m) girlfriend (26/f) is ghetto as hell. It's causing problems in her professional life and today she shoved her hand in my face while I was driving.Relationships

OH NO SHE DI-INT!

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

Me [22/ M] and the girl I'm dating[22/F] are at a crossroads. She won't become my serious GF until after she meets in person another man she met online.

quote:

We have been dating for a few months, and recently our relationship got physical (but not yet have we had sex). Recently she mentioned she didn't know what she wanted from me (relationship or friendship) to which I responded I do not want to be friends under any circumstances.

Then yesterday she admitted she had met someone online around the same we met. He lives outside the country we both live in, and is flying here to meet her next month. She says she "has" to meet him at least once, and until then we can only date but not define our relationship as a serious BF/GF relationship.

Honestly, this is one of the most insane things I've ever seen. She even admitted it's stupid and feels bad, and that in all she feels more strongly about me than him.

But I'm still really confused as to what I should do. Do I wait until after she meets him so we can finally just become a couple, or should I leave now?

I care tremendously about her but she's got a ton of red flags I can't ignore any longer.

EDIT: Officially told her I wanted time apart just now. I told her it's not going to work like this

tl;dr: The girl I am dating will not become my serious GF until she meets mystery man she met online.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

kuddles posted:

Oh my god, I can totally see that guy's entire immediate future in my head and it's a perfect cliché. Move to a new city where you don't know anybody other than a girl you are pining for. Offer to be a confidant where she can bitch about her boyfriend while he hopes she changes her mind about him. Eventually grow more resentful and broken as a human.

This is all assuming that just moving there doesn't immediately creep her out.

I don't want to meet the person "they moved cities just to romantically pursue me" doesn't creep out.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Manticorny posted:

OH NO SHE DI-INT!

Fuken lol

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

also, gently caress you guys for running out of content and making me find my own :mad: So now, you get to read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5d5sgx/me_17_f_with_my_lesbian_lover_17_f_of_a_month/

quote:

We met on tinder. Thinks went pretty quick and intense. She was more intense with the commuincation - we would text constantly and she would call me every day even during her college and work hours. We met twice and both times she travelled an hour and half and spent £22 to come see me. We didn't do much - watched tv, ate food and had sex. I noticed that during us seeing each other she mentioned I only cared about sex. I usually played it quite cool with her - she was doing the chasing and I think she was into me. However, the second time she visited I thought everything had gone great then the day she left she kinda was being blunt and distant with me... Now this is rather normal willing she had just spent time with me (she was probably in a bad mood or just wanted some space). But, I took this in the wrong way and ended up kinda loosing myself and my emotions. My ex and her had followed each other on instagram which also contributed to my outburst. I spammed her a little and acted in a crazy sorta way. She said I was possessive. I then sent her a HUGE (bad mistake) text apologising and basically making it obvious I was into her. She took this badly and ended up blanking me. It sucked - from intense communication to the complete opposite. I did not spam her or anything I left it a few days and then eventually asked her what was going on. She said things had been going 2 fast and wanted a break. But I and my mates think it was her nice way of just quitting speaking to me. Three weeks go by and I have had no contact from her. However, we then match on tinder again (i got a new account). I messaged her and she did reply but was being blunt and making no effort. At this point I gave up trying and ignored her and just moved on. FAst forward 10 days from then (bringing you to the most recent friday we have had) - she sends me a video on snapchat (saved from her phone). The video was us together when she was at my house. She then wrote 'peak' which means she was kinda saying she misses things. However, she sent this message at 1am (she wont be drunk she finishes work at that time). I then texted her last night and she replied - she was being sorta blunt not making HUGE effort with the conversation but it got better as it progressed. Humour was involved. I then ignored her because I want her to miss me a little and im planning to text her again tomorrow evening. I just feel confused... Do you think I have a chance of getting her back? or is she just loving with me? is just wanting attention? idk.. I just dont know what mindset to have!!! :(
I dont know what to expectt....
tl;dr: Girl I was seeing for a month blanks me after I hosed up then pops up to me a month later with a video of us together.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

bone app the teeth posted:

The Internet does a great job at reminding me how insufferable nerds are

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A Moose posted:

also, gently caress you guys for running out of content and making me find my own :mad: So now, you get to read this:
Secret: I made the first incarnation this thread because I was enjoying /r/relationships, wanted to share some funny ones, and most of all, wanted others to curate it for me :D :D

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Guys work is boring as hell and I CAN'T STOP

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5d5ltt/my_33_f_marriage_to_my_husband_33_of_five_years/

My [33 F] marriage to my husband [33] of five years may be falling apart; started with a fight about Christmas lights.

I'll probably try to edit this later with some bolding but until then just have some raw, unfiltered manchild.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

"I can hear you sniffling over [vlogger]'s laughter."

This is a lovely gift because you can imagine yourself whatever ridiculous name you want for the...*shudders* vlogger to have during their very serious argument. I can hear you sniffling over ChewbaccaPants420's laughter. BillyDeezNutz1488's subvocalizations are not enough to drown out your pitiful whimpers, woman. I'm madder than DavidLetterBomberman69's new cat.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That teacher having her mom call work and try to gently caress with her employment should probably get the law involved. If your mother is attempting to sabotage your professional career because you don't want to bear children, it's probably past the point of discussion.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

That teacher having her mom call work and try to gently caress with her employment should probably get the law involved. If your mother is attempting to sabotage your professional career because you don't want to bear children, it's probably past the point of discussion.

I don't know, some moms start there as a point of discussion. The lovely kind, but moms nonetheless. I'd try and talk with the mom before the wedding, but wouldn't hold it against that lady one bit if she cut moms + poo poo-talking relatives out of the wedding plan and beyond.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure any US employer is overjoyed that a woman isn't planning on having kids so they don't have to come up with an excuse to fire her if she takes any sort of maternity leave.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

A Moose posted:

I would probably break up with someone over this. This is a clear sign that they are going to get fired really quickly at some point.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm pretty sure any US employer is overjoyed that a woman isn't planning on having kids so they don't have to come up with an excuse to fire her if she takes any sort of maternity leave.

She's in the american south. Women shouldn't be working at all. Family Values!

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

A Moose posted:

She's in the american south.

well there's your first problem

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A Moose posted:

She's in the american south. Women shouldn't be working at all. Family Values!

And men shouldn't be teaching!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And children shouldn't be learning!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pick posted:

And children shouldn't be learning!

Agreed. Uneducated people demand less and work more. It's a win/win.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

lohli posted:

...as a typical human being...

This is the least believable part of the entire post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Quote-Unquote posted:

David Cameron, Former Prime Minister of the UK and actual, factual pig fucker, left his small child in a pub and went home - and he went on to win another election!

Right after we had our second child I came home from work, went to daycare #1 and picked up the two year old and drove right by daycare #2 on the way home and got all the way home before noticing the empty car seat. It's easy to do, and boy oh boy do shrill old biddies who are 40 years removed from having to raise small children act like it is an inexcusable lapse.