Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

lol I actually believe people are thinking like that in this thread.

Are you trying to pretend the DNC didn't leave unions in WI out to dry in 2011?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Motto posted:

I don't think trabisnikof is hillary clinton tbh

"you lost" says the guy feverishly claiming to be on the left. "we. i mean, we lost. but you lost for me, haha, is what i meant to say"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Motto posted:

They are one of the biggest hilbots.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i am hillary clinton

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zikan posted:

they didn't put card check up for a vote when then had a super majority lol

Obama got arlen specter (dead-pennsylvania) to switch teams over keeping that out of the agenda. It was a canary in the coal mine for how obama was going to govern basically

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Pick someone who is trustworthy. Your side is not.

You seem mistaken about my "side" as if my Soros checks stop coming if I say the wrong things. I just have this sneaking feeling that there will be trustworthiness problems with anyone at this point. No one has the trust of all sides of the left.

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The Democrats had a majority of both the House and the Senate, and the Presidency in 2008. They could have passed single payer if they had the loving guts to actually fight for it.

I don't think that's true unless you're including the blue dogs in that stomach having group.

Motto posted:

I'm more of a CarlosDanger type myself :getin:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

The Democrats had a majority of both the House and the Senate, and the Presidency in 2008. They could have passed single payer if they had the loving guts to actually fight for it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Agnosticnixie posted:

What on earth could the DNC have done to change things exactly?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I see we're at the "reinvent history to badmouth the Democrats" juncture of the post-election period.

Yes that is what hilbots are doing. Maybe admit your ideology is dead. Also Trab your side lost us three out of the five past elections. I know now your lying hat your not a HRC supporter. But any thing to save face.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

menino posted:

Republicans don't have a loving supermajority either right!?!? But why is everyone making GBS threads their pants? Because you can poke holes in these loving coalitions. Just like the GD Democrats could have done

It's easier to agree on blowing everything up than it is to agree on building a new health care system. Republican coalitions have entropy on their side.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Agnosticnixie posted:

Or the recall.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Establishment Democrats don't give a poo poo about unions except as a means to an end. Jesus, I mean a bunch of unions in Ohio endorsed a loving Republican for Senate. That's how much Democrats have abandoned unions.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

If Clinton's loss proved that we need a more authentic progressive voice, Bernie's loss proved that economic populism isn't sufficient on its own.

Hillary went twice as far as Bernie, so Hillary supporters have twice as much credibility.

This is a little silly I think. You can't compare the primaries and the general, totally different. You have to consider that the primaries were a game where the Clinton brand name was a good thing.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Maaaaaaybe if Kennedy hadn't died, but Lieberman was going to block anything close to single-payer anyway.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes that is what hilbots are doing. Maybe admit your ideology is dead.

Want to cite an example where a poster reinvented history to make Democrats look bad to defend Clinton?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

What on earth could the DNC have done to change things exactly?

Campaign. Major unions have been complaining that they blow immense amounts of money on electing democratic politicians even when they're anti-unionist tools who they get absolutely gently caress all in return from.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

Establishment Democrats don't give a poo poo about unions except as a means to an end. Jesus, I mean a bunch of unions in Ohio endorsed a loving Republican for Senate. That's how much Democrats have abandoned unions.

Shhh... let the neoliberals pretend to stand for anything beyond wrecking the economy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Telephones posted:

This is a little silly I think. You can't compare the primaries and the general, totally different. You have to consider that the primaries were a game where the Clinton brand name was a good thing.

It's unfair to bring that sort of nuance to a conversation where Hillary losing an election by negative-2% means all her supporters are completely 100% wrong about everything ever and supporters of a guy who may or may not have done half as well are 100% right about everything.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes that is what hilbots are doing. Maybe admit your ideology is dead. Also Trab your side lost us three out of the five past elections. I know now your lying hat your not a HRC supporter. But any thing to save face.

No, they're not. But please, continue telling Democrats what their representatives actually believe, while supporting a racist rapist.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm more of a CarlosDanger type myself :getin:

I just hope that we all never forget that Anthony "Carlos Danger" Weiner's weiner is a plausible explanation for why Trump is president. I really hope there is a movie of this election but it might need to wait a decade or more.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Which is why the ideas that the Democrats need to put "identity politics" on the back burner is doomed to fail. Why would the base accept yet another sarcrafice in the name of electability?
Oh hey Trab now please stop lying.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Agnosticnixie posted:

I wish I remembered this better. This happened right before I became even barely politically aware and well before I had solidified political ideology. I remember it was a huge deal and in particular the tactic of legislators literally fleeing to prevent them having enough to vote. It was very surreal even living only an hour away.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

A lovely Reporter posted:

No, they're not. But please, continue telling Democrats what their representatives actually believe, while supporting a racist rapist.

Look, you tried running as fast as you could and lost the race, therefore my technique of shooting myself in the foot on the starting block would definitely have won.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Kshame Sawant, 2020! Start the subforum we need to get started.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Someone convince Lebron James to run. The Decision 2020. He's taking his talents to the White House.

(I'm half serious. If Trump can be elected, I'm sure James could).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh hey Trab now please stop lying.

What part of that is a lie exactly?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Someone convince Lebron James to run. The Decision 2020. He's taking his talents to the White House.

Nah, we need him winning more championships in Cleveland. You can have him after he wins his 7th title.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Lightning Knight posted:

I wish I remembered this better. This happened right before I became even barely politically aware and well before I had solidified political ideology. I remember it was a huge deal and in particular the tactic of legislators literally fleeing to prevent them having enough to vote. It was very surreal even living only an hour away.

From a semi outsider's view, it was impressive as hell and gave a lot of people some hope after the midterms that the whole "olive branch and bipartisan negotiations" phase of Obama's government was over. I guess we were all more naive. But like there's kind of a reason it took until the 2010 midterms for Occupy to become a thing although a lot of the initial movement was both that and more or less tied to NYC and NYS government bullshit as well.

The recall election ended up being a shitshow sadly, with unions more or less fighting without significant party support.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

What part of that is a lie exactly?

You were showing your hand. Can't be openly pro worker without selling out every one else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stereotype posted:

I know you're joking, but they have been varying about that much for months. Also when I got my mortgage about 6 months ago they have this complicated points system that synced closing costs to your rate (higher closing costs->lower rate), did you get that offer?

I have no idea what a good rate is but I was pretty happy with my 3.675%.

I'm not joking, but yeah points are a thing, you pay x per amount off your rate.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

SourKraut posted:

He called out Phil Jackson for calling his business associates his posse today, I think he's got this

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This thread is more fractured and chaotic than the actual DNC is. Thank god people in actual positions of power and influence re less retarded.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Day Seven

https://twitter.com/awprokop/status/798708532493381633

sounds like the Trump administration is going to be run just as well as the Trump campaign

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Crowsbeak posted:

You were showing your hand. Can't be openly pro worker without selling out every one else.

There have literally been people in this thread saying to put social justice on the back burner. Most of them come back and reassure us that they mean rhetorically, like you can't campaign on it or you'll scare off the racists, but there have been people saying it. And then when people respond to them, because such dumb notions must be responded to, others who weren't saying that think they're the ones being responded to, so they go off on NOBODY SAID YOU CAN'T DO BOTH, so then we have that argument again, and then someone comes in and says "yeah you have to do both but maybe be quiet about the racism part" and the whole thing starts again. This whole thread is almost nothing but people talking past each other and the occasional informative post.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Agnosticnixie posted:

The recall election ended up being a shitshow sadly,

Couldn't wait to vote for a Milwaukee mayor who's campaign message was "vote for me, I was beaten with a tire iron"... again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HorseRenoir posted:

Day Seven

sounds like the Trump administration is going to be run just as well as the Trump campaign

Here's hoping Trump just says gently caress it and tries to keep Obama staff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

What on earth are you going on about?

How is me pointing out that rejecting "identity politics" turns off a chunk of the base the same as saying everyone pro-worker is selling out everyone else.

I would you suggest you rereading that post as you seem to have missed the point.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

it probably is fair to say that the democratic party was caught flat-footed on a lot of state-level and local issues. in wisconsin specifically, the national party didn't do a great job of helping the state party turn out voters. not much was done to stop REDMAP or find candidates for minor races.

the democrats have gone from controlling 27 legislatures in 2010 to less than half that in 2017. the gop will enter the new year with one of the largest strangleholds on state politics ever.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

HorseRenoir posted:

Day Seven

Actually one of those things is good news, "GOP foreign policy professionals now deeply pessimistic about who Trump will pick." Unfortunately that probably means they're just too crazy rather than because they're not the GOP preferred warmongering neocons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

You. Lost. and in spectacular fashion. There is absolutely no credibility to anything you say, especially with regards to "electability."

It doesn't matter what anyone says, what things actually happen or how bad things get, this will be the response of the vast majority of pro-Trump voters for the foreseeable future. You know, just like the election, it should be no surprise at this point.

LOL @ losing in spectacular fashion though, the only thing really spectacular (besides the fact that he won at all) is how unprepared he was for winning since he and his team thought he was going to lose by a large margin, just like everyone else did.

• Locked thread