Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
a good kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

they even got a marc andreessen cosplayer for the video

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
so what are the odds that this usb-c magsafe dongle thing gets made and delivered and doesn't blow up ur macbook?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

so what are the odds that this usb-c magsafe dongle thing gets made and delivered and doesn't blow up ur macbook?

i'm the "Double Bouns Kit"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
no wait i'm the impending patent suit from a company with an unfathomable amount of cash to a company that can't afford a spell checker

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Most magnetic couplings, have a magnet on one side and iron on the other side. With the snap we spared no expense. We put a magnet on both sides

easy there moneybags

evilcat
May 16, 2009
Not immediately worthless at first glance:
Modern cast iron pans that are polished.
Nothing too exciting, investment cast pans as opposed to sand cast, polished like older pans were, pre seasons like pans are now, a handle that looks a bit weak where it joins the pan and sort of aiming at the trendy 'foodie' market.
The problem: their early bird 8" skillet, pre-seasoned: $80
A pre-seasoned skillet from Lodge: $18
Wagner Polished Skillet: $17.50
And that's ignoring the various other companies making pans, the massive amount of old pans available, and the other high end makers (Smithey, Finex, &c)
Basically they're aiming at the trendy market with a product that costs 4x that of already very good items and not quite the cost of higher end ones that look to have more comfortable handles and a better design quality, and unlike any of the prior ones they're made overseas (for those living in the US).
So it's a premium priced product in a saturated market where even the cheapest options are cast and made domestically.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
anybody that wants quality cast iron stuff is going to hit up ebay for old victor or griswold stuff anyway, if they're smart. i've got a bunch of old griswold cast iron stuff that I got from my grandmother, and that's something i'm going to will to my kid(s) when I pass.

the only way I see people buying that is if they somehow come to the conclusion that old = inferior, which is laughably wrong in this instance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Already passed their target :laffo:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
a quality product for people that don't know poo poo about anything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait what they're using investment casting so they can get a thinner pan but isnt the whole point of cast iron pans aside from their coating are their thermal properties from being so bulky?!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

1) Be Cast Iron
2) Be thick and heavy
3) Be old-style casted rather than this lovely Lodge poo poo that you have to sand down yourself anyway to make it not horrible

What's that? You missed number 2? Maybe you should drop the price by a tenner or so.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

no wait i'm the impending patent suit from a company with an unfathomable amount of cash to a company that can't afford a spell checker

griffin is selling this and hasn't been sued for it :confused:

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

easy there moneybags

stretch goal: add a third magnet

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

a quality product for people that don't know poo poo about anything.

not the worst market to be in tho

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

I briefly worked with a guy that used to work at Griffin. He said if they made something that pissed off apple "they knew they probably had something great"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

gonna geek out a little bit on inconsequential poo poo

I'm sort of a minimalist/conservationist when it comes to tools and implements; I hate throwing poo poo away when it can be recovered or repaired, and I hate buying new stuff that is inferior to what is being replaced.

all my cast iron stuff is a hand-me-down from my grandmother, a full set of BSR cast iron from the 40s-50s. the dutch oven I have is a wagner from the 60s. there's so much great old poo poo like this that you can get at yard sales, flea markets, etc. and people don't know. They'll just buy poo poo like lodge and never know the difference, or understand why cookware is considered an investment. these are the same kinds of people that buy a new set every 5-6 years with some goofy professional cook's face on it.

and nobody knows how to sharpen a kitchen knife anymore unless it's some wheeled contraption that does all the work for them. or, dare I say it, electric.

I'm a 31 year old antique and i'm very angry about it. ask me about the craftsman tools I have from the 70s/80s and how I lament the fall of that entire loving brand.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait what they're using investment casting so they can get a thinner pan but isnt the whole point of cast iron pans aside from their coating are their thermal properties from being so bulky?!

huh it's almost as if a product that has been manufactured and sold basically unaltered for like 200 years has already been optimized into its ideal form

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm sort of a minimalist/conservationist when it comes to tools and implements; I hate throwing poo poo away when it can be recovered or repaired, and I hate buying new stuff that is inferior to what is being replaced.

all my cast iron stuff is a hand-me-down from my grandmother, a full set of BSR cast iron from the 40s-50s. the dutch oven I have is a wagner from the 60s. there's so much great old poo poo like this that you can get at yard sales, flea markets, etc. and people don't know. They'll just buy poo poo like lodge and never know the difference, or understand why cookware is considered an investment. these are the same kinds of people that buy a new set every 5-6 years with some goofy professional cook's face on it.

and nobody knows how to sharpen a kitchen knife anymore unless it's some wheeled contraption that does all the work for them. or, dare I say it, electric.

I'm a 31 year old antique and i'm very angry about it. ask me about the craftsman tools I have from the 70s/80s and how I lament the fall of that entire loving brand.

amen to all of this

though i would add that you can still buy good quality stuff -- you just have to pay for it. ain't nobody getting anything as good as a classic wagner (that's my skillet) for 19.99 at walmart, but i have a whole bunch of paderno commercial stuff that i bought bit by bit on their biannual door-crasher 70% off special days and it's indestructible.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

now I'm remembering the time my wife ruined the surface of a decent set of non-stick pots and pans when she threw them in the dishwasher.

until I told her afterwards she had no idea that there was such a thing as a pot you had to wash by hand. same for my chef's knife.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'll be fine.

*uses your knives to slice lemons, leaves them in the sink overnight(

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

*slices potatoes the night before, leaving a starch nightmare on all your stuff the next morning*

thanks babe!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's a food-related pic: current dinner status

:yum:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

stretch goal: add a third magnet

apples magsafe patent isn't as broad as a lot of people think. magnetic breakaways have been a thing for decades.

it looks like the griffin one gets around the patents by configuring the connector to only connect in one orientation (the Apple patent requires connection in two and only two orientations). who know what the kickstarter one is hoping will protect them.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

food stuff

homie you got those tomatoes just right.

kudos

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yea they're juuuuuust popping open and a little black on top

the yosposest dinner

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I had a deep fryer with a magnetic breakway connection like ten years ago

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shifty Pony posted:

apples magsafe patent isn't as broad as a lot of people think. magnetic breakaways have been a thing for decades.

it looks like the griffin one gets around the patents by configuring the connector to only connect in one orientation (the Apple patent requires connection in two and only two orientations). who know what the kickstarter one is hoping will protect them.

solution: connect in a third orientation with that third magnet

i'd imagine that apple would piss off a lot of customers if it shut down 3rd party magdongles without making one of its own, but apple's been fine with pissing off customers recently so :shrug:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Synthbuttrange posted:

*uses your knives to slice lemons, leaves them in the sink overnight(

*slices potatoes the night before, leaving a starch nightmare on all your stuff the next morning*

https://www.tabooknifestories.com

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theres a few of these for lightning and micro usb and they always have some plastic plug that doesnt hold as well and most are a lot more slim

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's over 80k right now and they've got 18 hours left

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nothing like getting 'kickstarted in the butt' on ur lock screen in a meeting :cool:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

of course I must disclose i have, indeed, been kickstarted in the butt

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I am proud to be a HOT COFFEE BOSS

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

People bring me really good knives to sharpen sometimes, and I tell them "these are gonna take me a while"

"why?"

"listen, i can grab those lovely kitchen aide knives my wife has and sharpen them in a heart beat to where I can shave with them, but different knives require different levels of knowing what the gently caress you doing, or I will just gently caress it all up. . . so tell me what your least favorite knife out of this set is, and i'll sit and work with it over a couple hours just to learn how this loving metal sharpens up"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

enotnert posted:

People bring me really good knives to sharpen sometimes, and I tell them "these are gonna take me a while"

"why?"

"listen, i can grab those lovely kitchen aide knives my wife has and sharpen them in a heart beat to where I can shave with them, but different knives require different levels of knowing what the gently caress you doing, or I will just gently caress it all up. . . so tell me what your least favorite knife out of this set is, and i'll sit and work with it over a couple hours just to learn how this loving metal sharpens up"

do you sharpen knives in Chicago? I take ours to Northwestern Cutlery which is great but you seem better

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I don't get that kickstarter thing at all. I have never felt more like a confused grandpa, but shine on you crazy diamond!

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

minivanmegafun posted:

do you sharpen knives in Chicago? I take ours to Northwestern Cutlery which is great but you seem better

nope, i think i'm the only south carolina yosposter.

I literally sharpen a lot of stuff for friends because when janitoring computer poo poo pisses me off, it's loving meditation to my flabby rear end.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't get that kickstarter thing at all. I have never felt more like a confused grandpa, but shine on you crazy diamond!

hey man I gotta do something with these six figgies and buying artisan bicycle bells, funding documentaries of bands no one has ever heard of, and being a buckaroo isn't a bad idea

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

minivanmegafun posted:

I am proud to be a HOT COFFEE BOSS

i am a proud :69snypa: that dont need no funding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice